Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2012, 17:49   #3256
BHPian

Nilambur route

I have a friend who drove the Bangalore - Eranakulam route via Nilambur in his Honda CR-V for Christmas holidays. He chose that route because of the tension at the Kerala-TN border. His struggled as the road is in bad shape and spent close to 3 hrs more that what it usually takes via Palghat-Coimbatore road.
Old 7th January 2012, 20:34   #3257
Senior - BHPian

Re: Perundurai -> Kangeyam -> Palladam -> Pollachi -> Nenmara road

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
On the way back to Bangalore, 3 kms after Perundurai, by the side of an over-bridge, there is a big Aryas Annachi hotel serving good veg food. The place has hygienic and big bathroom facilities which can cater to large crowd.
I have a snap of this hotel
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-img00919201112271707.jpg  

Old 8th January 2012, 12:21   #3258
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

I came back from Calciut via Kuttiyadi - Mananthavady - Bavali - HD Kote Route. The route surface is good till Manathavady except for a few patches in between. There is almost no road for 16kms from the edge of the forest to Antharashante, all in Karnataka. The forest roads are newly laid (Except for the last 1km) and the road surface is in a good shape (there are humps though very often). The drive through the Thamaressy ghats will be faster unless you get stuck in traffic jams on the ghats (One my way towards Calicut I gotstuck). Work is in progress to fix the potholes, from Jan 17th it will be closed for the bigger vehicles and the road re-laid. Till Kuttiyadi, the roads are narrow meandering and traffic is high.
Old 9th January 2012, 12:05   #3259
BHPian

My friend is driving to Haripad from Thirunelveli on 16th. Can someone update on the the best route and road conditions.

The route suggested by Google map is:
Tirunelveli- Thenkasi-Shenkottai-Aryankavu-Ottakkal-Punalur-Pathanapuram-Adoor-Kayamkulam-Haripad

Approx Distance: 182kms
Old 9th January 2012, 12:48   #3260
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Perundurai -> Kangeyam -> Palladam -> Pollachi -> Nenmara road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I have a snap of this hotel
I usually take a break here when going to Blore. Pretty good food and a clean place. Highly recommended. There's one just before this on the right. Havent tried that but seems crowded whenever I pass this. I opt for aryaas since it's on the same side while going to Blore.
Old 9th January 2012, 13:59   #3261
Senior - BHPian

Visited following during last two trips

Gowrishankar Veg (Left side after L&T exit towards Palghat) : Good food, almost similar to A2B pricing.

Saravana Bavan (veg)
Again, left side at Karumathampatti towards Avinashi (Just before Rithanns)
Good food, cheap, average toilet facilities
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-gowrishankar.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-saravanabhavan.jpg  

Old 9th January 2012, 16:52   #3262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Saravana Bavan (veg)
Again, left side at Karumathampatti towards Avinashi (Just before Rithanns)
Good food, cheap, average toilet facilities
This Saravana Bhavan used to have a huge parking facility. But with the completion of road works, parking has become very small here. We usually stop here for breakfast while going to Bangalore - their service is quick and food is fairly good.
Old 9th January 2012, 20:23   #3263
BHPian

Negotiating Salem town

When going from Bangalore to Kerala via Salem, I always get my route lost a bit at Salem. Needless to say, I use GPS extensively but that does not solve this problem.

GPS routes me till a big round from where if you go straight, you go Madurai. But I am asked to turn right towards Coimbatore and that road is under construction and difficult to negotiate.

If I remember correctly, couple of years back, the hotelier (hotel on the right side of the round) asked me to make U-turn at the round and go back in the direction I came, to get the entry back to highway. Is there a better alternative? Please advise.

On return journey to Bangalore, after making couple of errors, I learnt the hard way that I should take the left exit ramp in the Salem flyover. There is a small sign board kept on the top of the flyover which I was missing earlier because of the speed at which I was driving into the flyover.

Last edited by B103 : 9th January 2012 at 20:27.
Old 9th January 2012, 20:40   #3264
Senior - BHPian

Re: Negotiating Salem town

Quote:
When going from Bangalore to Kerala via Salem, I always get my route lost a bit at Salem. Needless to say, I use GPS extensively but that does not solve this problem.
^ Using the GPS is your problem. On a personal note, I feel its always better to rely on our senses than on a GPS to decide our way.

Quote:
GPS routes me till a big round from where if you go straight, you go Madurai. But I am asked to turn right towards Coimbatore and that road is under construction and difficult to negotiate.
As you come in to Salem from Bangalore, you'd reach a circle, where there is a signal as well. Keep going straight - just as you approach the flyover, there is a road taking off towards left. This road goes straight and enters the flyover. You make an anticlockwise round and enter the flyover. Keep following the road, and you are on NH47 (NH544, now).

The roads are well marked, and its very difficult to lose you way - unless you rely on instruments than senses
Old 9th January 2012, 21:08   #3265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

On return journey to Bangalore, after making couple of errors, I learnt the hard way that I should take the left exit ramp in the Salem flyover. There is a small sign board kept on the top of the flyover which I was missing earlier because of the speed at which I was driving into the flyover.
AFAIK, there is no road construction happening at Salem on NH. I believe that you missed the main route and ended up in some other road. Please check below link once to see the exit to NH47 from NH7. Also watch for the Ford showroom on your right before the exit to CBE

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2237175
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 21:21   #3266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Using the GPS is your problem. On a personal note, I feel its always better to rely on our senses than on a GPS to decide our way.

As you come in to Salem from Bangalore, you'd reach a circle, where there is a signal as well. Keep going straight - just as you approach the flyover, there is a road taking off towards left. This road goes straight and enters the flyover. You make an anticlockwise round and enter the flyover. Keep following the road, and you are on NH47 (NH544, now).

The roads are well marked, and its very difficult to lose you way - unless you rely on instruments than senses

In my personal view, problem is not with the GPS. When construction work starts on the road, the map is not updated to reflect that fact and a reroute to avoid that stretch, does not ensue -- which I agree may be a drawback.

On the other side, there are so many instances where I have made long journeys end to end without asking the right way to a single soul on the road and it makes me feel that a GPS unit is an invaluable travel companion

I understand perfectly that we are all entitled to our own opinion. Anyway, thanks for your quick update on the route.

Last edited by B103 : 9th January 2012 at 21:23.
Old 9th January 2012, 21:29   #3267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my personal view, problem is not with the GPS. When construction work starts on the road, the map is not updated to reflect that fact and a reroute to avoid that stretch, does not ensue -- which I agree may be a drawback.
The thing here is that there is no roadwork going on in the area you mention - other than may be routine re-tarring works (I said "May be", AFAIK there are no works on that section you mentioned), the section is in single piece.

We are being overdependent on gadgetry that we forget to look at signboards and have that basic instinct of looking around. This is just my personal opinion, no way intended to annoy anyone. Just stating a true fact.

As you said, GPS is not updated daily, and we should rely on our instincts more than a pre-drawn chart. Being able to do "long-drives without asking a single soul" is a great idea - have done that without a GPS many times. Just rely on signboards. (there are signboard which point at the wrong direction, thats a story on its own)

Last edited by binaiks : 9th January 2012 at 21:31.
Old 9th January 2012, 21:54   #3268
BHPian

Quote:
The thing here is that there is no roadwork going on in the area you mention - other than may be routine re-tarring works (I said "May be", AFAIK there are no works on that section you mentioned), the section is in single piece.
It was last week of Dec, 2011 that I drove via this road. There is a new fly over being constructed here and if taking this road, you have to drive by the smaller space available on the right side of construction work. Before the start of this work, this was the shortest road back to the NH. Anyway, since you believe there is no road work going on in this area, there may not be any further point in me explaining it.

Quote:
We are being overdependent on gadgetry that we forget to look at signboards and have that basic instinct of looking around. This is just my personal opinion, no way intended to annoy anyone. Just stating a true fact.
In back to back lines, it is mentioned that the above is an opinion and again it is a true fact as well !!

Quote:
As you said, GPS is not updated daily, and we should rely on our instincts more than a pre-drawn chart. Being able to do "long-drives without asking a single soul" is a great idea - have done that without a GPS many times. Just rely on signboards. (there are signboard which point at the wrong direction, thats a story on its own)
All I have asked for is the route information, if any TBHP-ian knows. Let us be objective and meet here to discuss about the vehicles or routes rather than spending time on disagreeing points

Last edited by B103 : 9th January 2012 at 22:11.
Old 10th January 2012, 07:48   #3269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If I remember correctly, couple of years back, the hotelier (hotel on the right side of the round) asked me to make U-turn at the round and go back in the direction I came, to get the entry back to highway. Is there a better alternative? Please advise.

Signages are excellent, there is no need to look at your GPS in these roads. Coimbatore is marked very clearly.
Earlier, there was a round where NH47 begins.
Now there is an overpass which you take (Madurai goes under) to get onto NH47
Old 10th January 2012, 10:44   #3270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All I have asked for is the route information, if any TBHP-ian knows. Let us be objective and meet here to discuss about the vehicles or routes rather than spending time on disagreeing points
Posting some images once again for information.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-salemexit-cbe.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-salemexit-blrmaa.jpg  

coolclouds is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed