Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2012, 22:04   #3286
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishk View Post
Does anybody have an update on the road condition between Palakkad and Coimbatore? I'm planning to travel from Trivandrum to Coimbatore on 17th Jan.
I would like to know if any repairs have been carried out.
Road widening works are in progress between Walayar and beginning of Coimbatore bypass. So expect lots of diversions, and some "off-roading" as well. Palakkad to Walayar is in decent shape.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 11:08   #3287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishk View Post
Does anybody have an update on the road condition between Palakkad and Coimbatore? I'm planning to travel from Trivandrum to Coimbatore on 17th Jan.
I would like to know if any repairs have been carried out.
Did Bangalore-Kochi on 14th (Saturday) via CBE-Palakkad. The route is doable without any issues except for dust at some diversions.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 12:30   #3288
BHPian

Did Perinthalmanna> Pattambi> Kunnamkulam> Guruvayoor portion of road yesterday back and forth.
Perinthalmanna till Pulamanthole is silky smooth and wider now with a relaid road. Pulamanthole >Pattambi > Perumbilavu is patched and some portions are relaid(manual) so good enuf to cruise at 50-60 kmph. The bridge at Palakkad-Thrissur district border (near Chalissery) is reconstructed and so a 75m wayside diversion is present which is very uneven and vehicles with low GC better watchout. Perumbilavu till Guruvayoor thru Kunnamkulam is as before with no issues. Irctc Tatkal once again ditched me today morning :(. Planning to board a Sona bus from Mannuthy to Chennai tomorrow evening.
Old 16th January 2012, 13:23   #3289
Senior - BHPian

Re: Negotiating Salem town

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
When going from Bangalore to Kerala via Salem, I always get my route lost a bit at Salem.
As you reach Salem from Bangalore, there are three signals, mostly blinking, on main road, near Salem steel plant.

Cross first signal
Main road splits to two after second signal. There is a chance to miss the route here if you miss the boards. Slight left towards Salem city whereas slight right to stay on NH
Immediately, there is a third signal light, cross that.
Cross next two circles and flyover
Within about 1km from flyover, there is SISU hospital on right, Ford showroom on right, Bharat Petroleum Bunk and Auto LPG on left with lot of signages.
Get in to the ramp immediately after Bharat Petroleum towards left side to Coimbatore, straight road to Dindigul
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 14:07   #3290
BHPian

Does anybody have an update on how the road is between Madikeri and Panathur. I am planning to travel next week, If the conditions are bad I will go through Iritty instead.
Old 16th January 2012, 14:14   #3291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGolden View Post
Does anybody have an update on how the road is between Madikeri and Panathur. I am planning to travel next week, If the conditions are bad I will go through Iritty instead.
As per a message that I saw on another forum, the road is still in decent shape and scenic as usual.

I have to travel to Taliparamba in Feb 1st week and was planning to try it out then, so if you do travel that way next week please do provide feedback about the conditions.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 20:45   #3292
Senior - BHPian

Toll collection at Trichur restarts from tomorrow midnight hence expect some trouble.
Old 16th January 2012, 20:49   #3293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Toll collection at Trichur restarts from tomorrow midnight hence expect some trouble.
It is starting from 00:01hrs tomorrow, that is post today mid-night, as I understood from news channels. About trouble: the "toll viruddha samithi" has already declared a hartal in Thrissur district!!!

What beats me is, why do they want the entire district to celebrate another Hartal especially when the state school arts fest (Kalolsavam) is taking place in the district. The issue is being raked up not because some byroads are getting closed, and anyone would have to pay up to cross this gate. Localites in the area are offered passes at concessional rates, but everyone wants freebies.

Hope people in other parts of the district do not pay heed to this hartal call - bus operators have already declared that services would operate normally.
Old 16th January 2012, 20:58   #3294
BHPian

Bangalore - Cochin on Friday 20th Jan 2012

Hi All,

I will be leaving for Kochi this friday. The usual route I take is:

Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-Avinashi-Coimbatore-Walayar-Palakkad-Thrissur-Ernakulam.

On my last trip. I returned via this route:

Kochi-Shoranur-Ottapalam-Palakkad-Walayar-Coimbatore-Salem-Dharmapuri-Hosur-Bangalore.

Any suggestions on better routes? I will be travelling at night.

Thanks in advance!

Tassem.
Old 17th January 2012, 09:53   #3295
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Cochin on Friday 20th Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Hi All,

I will be leaving for Kochi this friday. The usual route I take is:

Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-Avinashi-Coimbatore-Walayar-Palakkad-Thrissur-Ernakulam.

On my last trip. I returned via this route:

Kochi-Shoranur-Ottapalam-Palakkad-Walayar-Coimbatore-Salem-Dharmapuri-Hosur-Bangalore.

Any suggestions on better routes? I will be travelling at night.

Thanks in advance!

Tassem.
Tassem, I would recommend

Since they have re surfaced the road, it's best to take this route. Heard that Kuthiran section is bit bad (hardly 2-3kms). Other than that it's good.

When you going back? I will be driving to Blore on Sunday (will leave at 4am)
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 11:03   #3296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks

It is starting from 00:01hrs tomorrow, that is post today mid-night, as I understood from news channels. About trouble: the "toll viruddha samithi" has already declared a hartal in Thrissur district!!!

What beats me is, why do they want the entire district to celebrate another Hartal especially when the state school arts fest (Kalolsavam) is taking place in the district. The issue is being raked up not because some byroads are getting closed, and anyone would have to pay up to cross this gate. Localites in the area are offered passes at concessional rates, but everyone wants freebies.

Hope people in other parts of the district do not pay heed to this hartal call - bus operators have already declared that services would operate normally.
Any more updates regarding buses operating today evening from Ern/Tsr to Blr/Chn? I called Sona travels' office, and got update that their services are expected to be normal. Any one who reached Kerala today morning may have the update.
Old 17th January 2012, 11:10   #3297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
Any more updates regarding buses operating today evening from Ern/Tsr to Blr/Chn? I called Sona travels' office, and got update that their services are expected to be normal. Any one who reached Kerala today morning may have the update.
Bus services are very normal. The Hartal has not affected the district much. Shops and establishments in the area are closed - but road is normal and all bus services, including local buses by private operators are running.
Old 17th January 2012, 15:13   #3298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post

Nilambur road is great, and I would suggest, to turn right just before edavanna town, go over a bridge and all the way to Mavoor. From Mavoor, Calicut town is about 18 kms. saves a lot of time negotiating small towns.
Is'nt it shorter if we turn left at Areecode on the Edavanna-Mavoor route and proceed to Calicut via Kondotty-Ramanatukara. I took that route once and it seemed pretty quick. (Of course, my desitnation was Nallalam, so that helped)

Edit: I may be talking about a different route. As i remember the right turn to Areekode was after Edavanna town when coming from Nilambur

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 17th January 2012 at 15:18. Reason: Correction
Old 17th January 2012, 17:01   #3299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Is'nt it shorter if we turn left at Areecode on the Edavanna-Mavoor route and proceed to Calicut via Kondotty-Ramanatukara. I took that route once and it seemed pretty quick. (Of course, my desitnation was Nallalam, so that helped)

Edit: I may be talking about a different route. As i remember the right turn to Areekode was after Edavanna town when coming from Nilambur

The easiest, shortest and fastest would be , right turn before Edavanna town over bridge, all the way to Mavoor and then, Medical College, Calicut.

also, you could do turning right after edavanna, drive upto Areecode, turn left, cross vazhakkad, over the Bund Bridge, turn left to Peruvayal, hit the bypass at Pantheerankavu Junction.
Old 17th January 2012, 18:15   #3300
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Cochin on Friday 20th Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Tassem, I would recommend

Since they have re surfaced the road, it's best to take this route. Heard that Kuthiran section is bit bad (hardly 2-3kms). Other than that it's good.

When you going back? I will be driving to Blore on Sunday (will leave at 4am)
Thanks Naveen, I'll stick to the route you suggested. I didn't know they resurfaced it. Hopefully its been done well.

I have a wedding on Sunday and will return early Monday morning. Else we could've drove together.

Tassem.

Most Viewed