Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2012, 16:30   #3316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Cochin on Friday 20th Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Retain the toll receipts. The RTO is pulling over all non KA vehicles here in Bangalore for Road Tax. The toll receipts will help you make your case easier.
Thanks for that. I always retain the toll receipts whenever I come there. All papers are in order including pollution certificate. Last time though I made a mistake by driving just over 80kmph on the elevated highway for which I had to pay a fine. This time I will be careful.
Old 18th January 2012, 16:59   #3317
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Planning to travel to Wayanad from Bangalore this Saturday, 21st Jan. Heard there was some construction/repair work going on this route. Is my information right or is BLR-MYS-BANDIPUR-SULTHAN BATHERY-VYHTRI still the best route without hassles
Very much. It is the best route, and is a no-nonsense route. Not much of deviations, and simple to drive through.

The repair work is in the Lakkidi-Adivaram stretch. If you destination is somewhere in Wayanad, you might not have to cross this stretch at all. This stretch begins after the border of Wayanad district, and the stretch lies entirely in Kozhikode district.

The road would be open to LMVs - but only one side at a time. So there would be some delays - but might not be a big issue.
Old 18th January 2012, 17:25   #3318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Very much. It is the best route, and is a no-nonsense route. Not much of deviations, and simple to drive through.

The repair work is in the Lakkidi-Adivaram stretch. If you destination is somewhere in Wayanad, you might not have to cross this stretch at all. This stretch begins after the border of Wayanad district, and the stretch lies entirely in Kozhikode district.

The road would be open to LMVs - but only one side at a time. So there would be some delays - but might not be a big issue.
Thanks binaiks. My destination as i mentioned in my post would be Vythri. And i have done this stretch before. I was not aware of the repair work location. And this time around, i assume less traffic as i understand the road would not be open heavy vehicles.
Old 18th January 2012, 17:28   #3319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Thanks binaiks. My destination as i mentioned in my post would be Vythri. And i have done this stretch before. I was not aware of the repair work location. And this time around, i assume less traffic as i understand the road would not be open heavy vehicles.
I am not sure if traffic would actually thin out - because the diversion that the govt talks about is via Kalpetta-Kuttiady. So traffic should remain the same for most part of your journey, except the last leg from Kalpetta to Vythiri.
Old 18th January 2012, 21:14   #3320
BHPian

Quote:
Retain the toll receipts. The RTO is pulling over all non KA vehicles here in Bangalore for Road Tax. The toll receipts will help you make your case easier.
I've been driving my KL registered vehicles in bangalore for several years now. While I've been pulled over, nobody's ever questioned the registration/tax bit. Even my bike is KL registered. Never pulled over for the registration.

Perhaps its cause KL and KA may appear similar from a distance? Or I'm lucky.

What area does this happen usually at? Also isn't there a rule now which states that you cannot be pulled over unless you break a law?

Tassem.
Old 18th January 2012, 21:23   #3321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Also isn't there a rule now which states that you cannot be pulled over unless you break a law?

Tassem.
Yes. That was the case. But recently, all that notion has gone for a toss. Refer the last few pages of this thread for more details.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tached-46.html
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 21:33   #3322
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. That was the case. But recently, all that notion has gone for a toss. Refer the last few pages of this thread for more details.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tached-46.html
They say that the burden of proof lies with the RTO to prove that your vehicle has been in the city for more than 11 months in one go. Now that is next to impossible to prove unless they have a daily log of your travels. Even if they furnish a traffic violation committed a year ago, they cannot prove that your vehicle did not leave KA and return in the meanwhile.

I think its a lost cause from their end. Two reasons. One mentioned above. Second is that around 20% if not more of the vehicles on Bangalore roads are non KA. But I'm going to heed your advice and retain the toll receipts. I keep going to kerala every 6 months or so. Meanwhile I'll keep an eye on that thread to see how things progress. Will not dilute this thread.

Last edited by Tassem : 18th January 2012 at 21:35.
Old 19th January 2012, 14:25   #3323
Senior - BHPian

A new speedbreaker has come up on Seaport-Airport Road. Well, not exactly new, but they have extended the existing speedbreakers before/after the infamous 'Poojari Valavu' (curve) to cover the entire width of the road. Earlier, the speedbreakers on each end of the curve used to cover only the LHS of the road and it was quite a common sight to see all vehicles moving to the RHS of the road to avoid the speedbreaker.
Old 19th January 2012, 15:07   #3324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
also, you could do turning right after edavanna, drive upto Areecode, turn left, cross vazhakkad, over the Bund Bridge, turn left to Peruvayal, hit the bypass at Pantheerankavu Junction.
I took this route few weeks back and roads are good with less traffic
Old 22nd January 2012, 18:13   #3325
BHPian

I am doing BLR-PKD on 26th and need to drop someone at Perinthalmana and then head towards Palakkad. Are there any updates on the Mysore-Gudalur-Perinthalmana strech? Last time I drove this strech was before the monsoon and the conditions were good.
Old 22nd January 2012, 23:17   #3326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
I am doing BLR-PKD on 26th and need to drop someone at Perinthalmana and then head towards Palakkad. Are there any updates on the Mysore-Gudalur-Perinthalmana strech? Last time I drove this strech was before the monsoon and the conditions were good.
Road is in good condition except for dense traffic between vazhikadavu and perinthalmana.now since vythiri traffic is regulated expect more traffic via this route.i would suggest that from cherplAsserry go via mangalamkunnu mundoor olavakode route as traffic is less as opposed to the main palakkad kozhikode highway.expect congestion within gudalur town.
Old 25th January 2012, 19:27   #3327
BHPian

Wanna do a Kottayam - Thekkady sometime mid Feb. I haven't been a frequent traveller on that route, hence need some help. I'll be driving a Jazz.
1. Which is the best route to take?
2. How long might the drive be, wid each suggested route?
3. Any precautions?
Old 25th January 2012, 19:31   #3328
BHPian

Quote:
Also isn't there a rule now which states that you cannot be pulled over unless you break a law?

Tassem.
The checking is being done by RTO chaps. The traffic cops dont pull you until you break a law. RTO doesnt go by that IMO.
Old 25th January 2012, 19:37   #3329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
The checking is being done by RTO chaps. The traffic cops dont pull you until you break a law. RTO doesnt go by that IMO.
That makes sense. Anyways I'm all recharged with fresh toll coupons. I usually do a cochin trip every few months and this shoud work. Hate having to feel like a criminal just because the govt cant decide on a unified taxation system. I don't mind paying tax here if i were planning on spending the next few years here.

Back on topic - The roads are stll more or less the same! The Avinashi stretch sucks and the roads just before and after Walayar are a PITA!

This trip was a memorable one again. Spend 3 hours at Walayar checkpost because truckers/buses don't really understand lane discipline. Also, since the cut down on corruption Walayar tends to get a bit tight at times!

The Palghat-Thrissur stretch is slightly better now I guess. Its all relative though!
Old 25th January 2012, 19:50   #3330
BHPian

Quote:
That makes sense. Anyways I'm all recharged with fresh toll coupons. I usually do a cochin trip every few months and this shoud work. Hate having to feel like a criminal just because the govt cant decide on a unified taxation system. I don't mind paying tax here if i were planning on spending the next few years here.
I heard that apart from toll coupons, you can keep latest petrol bills to show that you crossed the state border just recently. Of course, smarter officials would probe for the vehicle number to be entered in the bill and so preferably choose to fill from some petrol pumps that has computerized billing or just get the vehicle number entered in the bill.

Quote:
The Palghat-Thrissur stretch is slightly better now I guess. Its all relative though!
Only slightly better? It is in the best of conditions now as compared to the period from the start of last year monsoon. I did Mannuthy->Walayar in less than 90 mins early this month and that was a pleasant surprise. Agreed that Kuthiran stretch is still rough and there is a 'timing' factor to account for to have a relatively smooth ride in the stretch too. I drove between 12 noon and 2 PM, that too on a week-day !

Last edited by ajithbr : 25th January 2012 at 19:53.

Most Viewed