Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2012, 19:55   #3331
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Cochin on Friday 20th Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
I heard that apart from toll coupons, you can keep latest petrol bills to show that you crossed the state border just recently. Of course, smarter officials would probe for the vehicle number to be entered in the bill and so preferably choose to fill from some petrol pumps that has computerized billing or just get the vehicle number entered in the bill.
To be honest its going to be a futile attempt at their part to prove that the vehicle is used permanently in bangalore. I mean, I am equally settled in Kerala and Bangalore. So does that mean I have to pay taxes at both the states?! And since we pass through Tamil Nadu ever so often, I guess we should pay tax there too! Its a joke I tell you! Somehow everybody is hell bent on making the common man's life miserable!

Quote:
Only slightly better? It is in the best of conditions now as compared to the period from the start of last year monsoon.!
Precisely why I said relative Its relatively better now.

Quote:
there is a 'timing' factor to account for to have a relatively smooth ride in the stretch too. I drove between 12 noon and 2 PM, that too on a week-day !
You're absolutely bang on there. On my return I crossed this point in the afternoon and it was okay. But the unexpected patches, dips etc. make for a lethargic drive. The onward journey was at night.

I must add that all things considered, its still just a 8-10 hour drive between Cochin and Blore and I can't complain. IF things go okay at Walayar ie!

Last edited by Tassem : 25th January 2012 at 20:01.
Old 25th January 2012, 20:01   #3332
Team-BHP Support

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Wanna do a Kottayam - Thekkady sometime mid Feb. I haven't been a frequent traveller on that route, hence need some help. I'll be driving a Jazz.
1. Which is the best route to take?
2. How long might the drive be, wid each suggested route?
3. Any precautions?
I assume you are starting from Vellore (As I see from your handle/profile)

Two Options:

Option - I
Vellore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Kumily-Thekkady (NH46/NH7/Nh45/NH220)
Thakkady-Kanjirapalli-Kottayam

Option - 2
Velloire-Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Soothupakkam-Trichy-Dindigul-Theni-Kumily-Thekkady
Thekkady-Kanjirapalli-Kotatayam.

Definitely Option 1 is good as it has 4 lane for your doorstep.

- If you start early say 4AM, you would be in Salem by 7/7:30AM (230km) 4-Lane GQ
- Salem - Dindigul : Max 3 hours (170km) 4-Lane GQ
- Dindigul-Theni : 80km (1.5 hours good 2L road
- Theni-Kumily/Thekkady (65km) 1.5 - 2 hours.

You can break for BF at A2B at Thoppur/Dharmapuri or at GRT at Salem.
Old 26th January 2012, 00:53   #3333
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Cochin on Friday 20th Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
The checking is being done by RTO chaps. The traffic cops dont pull you until you break a law. RTO doesnt go by that IMO.
Is there some law that requires you to stop your vehicle if these guys signal you to stop ? (I mean if they aren't in police uniform ?)
Old 26th January 2012, 23:31   #3334
Senior - BHPian

Signals have started to come up on the Angamaly-Mannuthy stretch of the newly laid 4-lane road - currently at Karayamparabu, Amballur and Nadathara crossing on Mannuthy bypass. I expect them to come up at Chalakkudy and probably Potta Junction as well.

Without these signals, I could cover the ~45km from Mannuthy to Angamaly in even time without ever speeding beyond 70-80kmph. Very soon, I will once again take the same amount of time to cover this stretch as I did before 4-laning - and what's more, I will be paying toll too
Old 27th January 2012, 03:50   #3335
BHPian

I need to to drive down to thrissur from blr this afternoon. Biggest question is whether to take the kangeyam-pollachi route or stick to nh 47. Planning to start by 3 pm, so might reach Cbe around 9 pm (if i keep to the nh 47 ) based on my usual average. I am worried about walayar as much as the roads between avinashi and palakkad based on the reports here. suggestions please..
Old 27th January 2012, 09:28   #3336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
I need to to drive down to thrissur from blr this afternoon. Biggest question is whether to take the kangeyam-pollachi route or stick to nh 47.
Stick with the usual route (NH 47) because that's always better. 4 lane work in Avinashi and between coimbatore and walayar. Palghat - Thrissur repaired but badly patched at some sections. But a good stretch than before. I just took this route few days back.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 10:15   #3337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Stick with the usual route (NH 47) because that's always better. 4 lane work in Avinashi and between coimbatore and walayar. Palghat - Thrissur repaired but badly patched at some sections. But a good stretch than before. I just took this route few days back.

Thanks Naveen. Any idea what the best/worst times are for crossing Walayar..
Old 27th January 2012, 10:44   #3338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Thanks Naveen. Any idea what the best/worst times are for crossing Walayar..
Walayar is sheer luck these days. Last week there was a block lasting 9 hrs. Try to exit the NH to Velanthavalam, after KG Chavady. Roads are not great, but you dot run the risk of Walayar block.

Avoid Kuthiran, try take the Pattambi route to trichur..
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 11:12   #3339

I drove from Mumbai to Kottayam in July 2011. Upto Mangalore, it was like driving in a DVD video wall with 4 lane vacant highways. But Kasargod onwards was strictly Range Rover territory, with local private buses pretending they were in some Rally and spoilt the fun of the entire drive all the way upto Mahe.

PS - I was totally zonked to see a brand new flaming orange Lamborgini Zip in the opposite direction near Feroze. The VIP's bodyguards were struggling to keep pace with him.
Old 27th January 2012, 13:28   #3340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petroleus View Post
I drove from Mumbai to Kottayam in July 2011. Upto Mangalore, it was like driving in a DVD video wall with 4 lane vacant highways. But Kasargod onwards was strictly Range Rover territory, with local private buses pretending they were in some Rally and spoilt the fun of the entire drive all the way upto Mahe.
Four Lane upto Mangalore?? Can you please let us know the route to took? Its been over a year since i went to Mangalore side - upto where has the four-laning reached?
Old 30th January 2012, 12:38   #3341

Hi Binai,

I may have been mistaken in saying roads were good all the way to Mangalore. We took the following route
Bombay- Pune-Satara-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Ankola-Udupi-Mangalore-Kannur-Calicut-Trichur-Ernakulam-Kottayam
We stopped at Hotel Rajmarg (between Pune & Satara) and were surprised to find Malu’s selling Vada Pau.
After Hotel Golden Chariot the roads were strictly OK

Good luck with your journey!
Old 30th January 2012, 13:26   #3342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But Kasargod onwards was strictly Range Rover territory, with local private buses pretending they were in some Rally and spoilt the fun of the entire drive all the way upto Mahe.
Other than the crazy private bus traffic, how was the road surface condition between Kasargod and Calicut ? Is it still the case of almost non-existent roads off and on ?
Old 30th January 2012, 14:10   #3343

When we went in July the roads, especially at Kasargoad were bad in long stretches. Dont know if they have spent any funds usefully on them since. The food in the hotels however was delicious and there were some really pleasant vistas.
Old 30th January 2012, 14:21   #3344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When we went in July the roads, especially at Kasargoad were bad in long stretches. Dont know if they have spent any funds usefully on them since. The food in the hotels however was delicious and there were some really pleasant vistas.
Roads have been repaired and condition is quite OK in North Kerala.
Old 30th January 2012, 14:51   #3345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When we went in July the roads, especially at Kasargoad were bad in long stretches.
Oops - Hadn't noticed that you were referring to your trip in July 2011. I thought you travelled that way recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Roads have been repaired and condition is quite OK in North Kerala.
Thanks HVK - that's a big relief.

Most Viewed