Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2012, 10:19   #3346
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - Vaikom Road Condition Update

I drove from Bangalore to Vaikom on Jan 21st and back on Jan 29th. Took the NH 7 - NH 47 route. While coming back took the Attibele - Sarjapur - Varthur route to Brookefield (saves 10 kms and time). Trip sheets below.

Bangalore - Vaikom

Name:  1.png
Views: 1137
Size:  15.3 KB

Vaikom - Bangalore

Name:  2.png
Views: 1094
Size:  13.5 KB

The worst stretch is between Wayalar and Coimbatore bypass but this is only 14 kms. I would recommend the NH 7 NH 47 route.

I also noticed the newly opened Saravana Bhavan after Salem. It is accesible from both sides. It is approximately 25 KMs from the NH 47 ramp at Salem on the LHS while going to Coimbatore.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 19:52   #3347
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

All,
I am planning Kochi - Chennai trip next weekend. Starting from Kochi early morning on Saturday and try to reach chennai by late evening.
Planning to take NH47 upto Salem but google maps is giving multiple options after Salem.

Salem-Dharmapuri-Vellore-Chennai
Salem-Attur-Villupuram-Chennai
Salem-Harur-Singarapettai-Melvisharam-Kanchipuram-Chennai

The total distance on all these routes are more or less same (as per google). Which is the best route in terms of traffic, road conditions etc.
Also, is it wise to byepass Walayar by taking Wadakanchery-Kollengode-Pollachi route?
Old 3rd February 2012, 19:59   #3348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Which is the best route in terms of traffic, road conditions etc.
Also, is it wise to byepass Walayar by taking Wadakanchery-Kollengode-Pollachi route?
Salem-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Chennai would be an no-nonsense route. Excellent 4-lane roads all the way - there would be moderate-to-heavy traffic after Poonamalle bypass.

There is no need to bypass Walayar - if your scare is only about road condition. I did Perundurai-Thrissur bypass in less than 4 hours - driving at around 70kmph all the time (I was leading a convoy - so not much scope of speeding), including two breaks (each 10-15 minutes). Left Perundurai (Hotel Annalakshmi) around 1830, and I was at Mannuthy before 2200hrs. This was on a working day (Last Thursday)
Old 3rd February 2012, 20:09   #3349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Salem-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Chennai would be an no-nonsense route. Excellent 4-lane roads all the way - there would be moderate-to-heavy traffic after Poonamalle bypass.

There is no need to bypass Walayar - if your scare is only about road condition. I did Perundurai-Thrissur bypass in less than 4 hours - driving at around 70kmph all the time (I was leading a convoy - so not much scope of speeding), including two breaks (each 10-15 minutes). Left Perundurai (Hotel Annalakshmi) around 1830, and I was at Mannuthy before 2200hrs. This was on a working day (Last Thursday)
Thanks binaiks. I am worried about traffic block at Walayar. Had a bad experience while driving to Bangalore couple of months back. We were held up at for around 2hrs near the border and the stretch betweem Walayar and Coimbatore bypass was pretty bad.
Old 3rd February 2012, 20:16   #3350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks binaiks. I am worried about traffic block at Walayar. Had a bad experience while driving to Bangalore couple of months back. We were held up at for around 2hrs near the border and the stretch betweem Walayar and Coimbatore bypass was pretty bad.
If that is the case, then you can take the Pollachi-Palldam-Kangeyam-Perundurai option.
That would bypass both Walayar and CBE.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 20:22   #3351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Stretch between Walayar - Coimbatore is bad. Drove from Blore last weekend. But no traffic at the checkpost. Watch out for the TN cops. They are checking some cars just after Walayar check post. Not stopping all cars but stopped mine. Might be because I have dark tints on the windshield and thought I might be trying to smuggle something.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 17:42   #3352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Watch out for the TN cops. They are checking some cars just after Walayar check post. Not stopping all cars but stopped mine. Might be because I have dark tints on the windshield and thought I might be trying to smuggle something.
They checked my car several times, especially during night here. I hope this is the place with both male and lady constables.
Old 4th February 2012, 19:12   #3353
BHPian

Got a live update from my friend who, is on the way to kottayam right now through the kumily route. Seems lot of diversions from dindigul till kl border for road widening. Strongly recommended not to take this route atleast for the next couple of months.
joecherian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 08:13   #3354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post

What is the approx. total time required for Kochi-Chennai on this route? Can we make it in around 12-13 hrs? We will be driving a Swift D
Old 5th February 2012, 09:20   #3355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
They checked my car several times, especially during night here. I hope this is the place with both male and lady constables.
Yes, that's the place. It's got barricades too.
Old 5th February 2012, 09:34   #3356
BHPian

Im planning for a trip from Chennai to Kattapana may be next week or after. Thinking of hitting chennai-tiruchirappalli-dindigal-kattapana which would clock around 561 per Gmaps, are there any other better routes?

Most importantly are the Dam rampages over at TN/Kerala borders?
Old 5th February 2012, 17:27   #3357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the approx. total time required for Kochi-Chennai on this route? Can we make it in around 12-13 hrs? We will be driving a Swift D
Easily in 12-13 hours. I recently traveled from Kochi (Woodlands Jn, MG Road) to Chennai (Koyambedu CMBT) in KPN's Volvo B9R - he did the distance in exactly 13 hours (2030hrs dep, 0930hrs arrival). This included three long breaks, and heavy traffic from Poonamalle bypass onwards.

SO I am sure one can match the timings (if not better) with a car.
Old 5th February 2012, 18:36   #3358
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are few hotels that I checked out during my recent drives to Blore

All distance calculated from EC (Blore). It shows the Odometer reading.
1) 65 kms - McDonalds, CCD and a veg restaurant (think it's name is Sreenivasa Inn)
2) 161 kms - A2B
3) 242 kms - Saravana Bhavan
4) 295 kms - Aryaas (Right side)
Old 5th February 2012, 21:02   #3359
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Here are few hotels that I checked out during my recent drives to Blore

All distance calculated from EC (Blore). It shows the Odometer reading.
1) 65 kms - McDonalds, CCD and a veg restaurant (think it's name is Sreenivasa Inn)
2) 161 kms - A2B
3) 242 kms - Saravana Bhavan
4) 295 kms - Aryaas (Right side)
The veg. restaurant (in the same campus where McD and CCD are located) is called Krishna Inn - This is in Shoolagiri
About 5-7 Km later on the left hand side there's a Bharat Petroleum campus that has Adayar Ananda Bhavan (A2B) - This is in Chinnar.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 23:37   #3360
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC.BURNS View Post
Im planning for a trip from Chennai to Kattapana may be next week or after. Thinking of hitting chennai-tiruchirappalli-dindigal-kattapana which would clock around 561 per Gmaps, are there any other better routes?

Most importantly are the Dam rampages over at TN/Kerala borders?
That is the best possible option. Just that do check out on how latch on to Dindigul highway at Trichy. You can also use Theni bypass.

I read there were some diversions near Kumily. Good to confirm.
I think traffic has become normal nowadays.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed