Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2008, 10:30   #346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Hi,

I'll be driving with family from Bangalore to Perinthalmanna next week. This is the route i got after searching the forums.

Bangalore - Mysore - Gundlupet - Bandipur - Mudumalai - Gudalur - Nadukani - Vazhikkadavu - Nilambur - Perinthalmanna

Is this the best route? Any update on this route? Is there a better option?
Not even a single reply to this query!

If we leave Bangalore at 5 AM, which is the best place to stop for breakfast? (5 families travelling together. Clean toilets are a must.)

How to get to Perinthalmanna from Kalpetta?

Also, can somebody please post the directions for Mysore bypass?

Last edited by Torqy : 1st October 2008 at 10:38.
Old 1st October 2008, 10:48   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not even a single reply to this query! :(

If we leave Bangalore at 5 AM, which is the best place to stop for breakfast? (5 families travelling together. Clean toilets are a must.)

Ideal place to halt for breakfast is just before Gundulpet - Tiger Pug Marks restaurant, I think is teh name. Good food, clean toilets. If you leave early from Bangalore (5 am), you could be there in 4 hours, assuming you take the Mysore bypass.

Instructions for Mysore bypass are as follows:

10 kms from Srirangapatna, you come to a cross roads where both left and right are marked for Ooty.
Take the right.
This is the Mysore bypass.
You will cut the roads going into Mysore city, K R Sagar, H D Kote till you finally come to the end of the bypass 26 kms from the beginning.
Turn right onto the Mysore-Nanjangud/Ooty road.
Exactly 51 kms from this point is the restaurant near Gundulpet.

At Gundulpet, the road goes to the right to go to Sultan's Battery/Kalpetta/Calicut. DO NOT take this road.
Instead, go straight towards Ooty via Bandipur, Mudumalai and Gudalur.
From Gudalur, take the road towards Nadugani and Nilambur.
From Nilambur, Perinthalmanna is close by.

Follow this link for route distances between Bangalore and Mudumalai (onward journey is through Mysore city, return is on Mysore bypass):

Google Docs - ooty-dec2006

I will PM you the rest of the route, from Mudumalai to Perinthalmanna.
Old 1st October 2008, 10:53   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Not even a single reply to this query!

Dude this is indeed the best route. if you are leaving this early why dont you break fast in mysore itself. If you want to do so earlier, indraprastha in maddur is decent. There is a CCD in front whose toilets are really nice.

cheers vijay
Old 1st October 2008, 11:07   #349
BHPian

Quote:

There is a CCD before Gundulpet. You would reach there before 8.30 AM. Toilets are very clean there.

You could try a restaurent (I think its name is Chembola) near Gudalur. Awesome food! They are selling their own tea powder. Good quality and its cheap!
Old 1st October 2008, 11:17   #350
BANNED

There's a new coffee day opened just before Gundulpet. Very good, clean and cool place. Normal coffee day menu is available, ie.. Waffles, brownies, pastries, biscuits, cookies, samosas, puffs, croissants etc..
Serves Biriyani, chicken curry, Porotta etc.. also.
Old 1st October 2008, 14:00   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Serves Biriyani, chicken curry, Porotta etc.. also.
Zak,

These items are rarely breakfast materials for most people.

Vijay
Old 1st October 2008, 14:32   #352
BHPian

Thanks a lot Kumar, Vijay, pgginish and speedzak for chipping in at the right time. We are scheduled to leave tomorrow at 5AM.

There's a slight change in plan though. The onward journey will be through Sultan Bathery, Kalpetta as we plan to spend some time in Wayanad. The return will be through Nilambur.

Kumar, I'm amazed (repeatedly) by the kind of logs / details you keep. It's a great gift for people like me.

What's the Kalpetta - Perinthalmanna route? Do i have to go to Calicut?
Old 1st October 2008, 14:59   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Ideal place to halt for breakfast is just before Gundulpet - Tiger Pug Marks restaurant, I think is teh name. Good food, clean toilets. If you leave early from Bangalore (5 am), you could be there in 4 hours, assuming you take the Mysore bypass.

@hvkumar i think that the Tiger Pugmarks is after Gundulpet if you are going towards mudumalai/gudalur and Adjacent to Bandipur Wildlife Sanctuary. Another kilometer or so would take you to the boarding point / reception for the Safari Ride in the Bandipur WLS.

Could somebody confirm this ?
Old 1st October 2008, 16:01   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What's the Kalpetta - Perinthalmanna route? Do i have to go to Calicut?
No, you do not have to go to Calicut. From Vythiri, you can come to Meppadi and Nadugani and take the same road (Gudalur-Naduigani-Nilambur) via Nilambur to Perinthalmanna. Great landscapes, tea and coffee estates.
Old 1st October 2008, 16:27   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

Instructions for Mysore bypass are as follows:

10 kms from Srirangapatna, you come to a cross roads where both left and right are marked for Ooty.
Take the right.
This is the Mysore bypass.
You will cut the roads going into Mysore city, K R Sagar, H D Kote till you finally come to the end of the bypass 26 kms from the beginning.
Turn right onto the Mysore-Nanjangud/Ooty road.
Hi HVK, would it not be better to take the left at the Byepass Jn. and then come back to Nanjangud road via the Lalith Mahal palace. The route you mentioned is about 10 kms longer if my memory serves correct because I have done both routes and have always felt its better to take the left rather than the right.
Old 1st October 2008, 16:51   #356
Senior - BHPian

You may be right, Srikanth. I have never taken the left, so don't know the distance. 10 kms in a 25-km bypass will be a considerable saving in distance.
Old 1st October 2008, 17:13   #357
BANNED

I have never taken right from that junction so, didn't know if that's the better option. Left turn from that junction is a very good route with very less traffic and it's only 7-8km if my guess is right. Be careful just before it ends as it gets a bit confusing.
Old 1st October 2008, 21:53   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I have never taken right from that junction so, didn't know if that's the better option. Left turn from that junction is a very good route with very less traffic and it's only 7-8km if my guess is right. Be careful just before it ends as it gets a bit confusing.
The confusing part is what i'm worried about. I don't mind driving some extra distance if it can get me straight out of the city.
Old 1st October 2008, 22:41   #359
BHPian

if you starting around 5 AM, you might reach mysore around 6:30 to 7 and then there is no need to turn right or left,rather go straight as there wont be much tarffic.Go past St Philominas church (I think the road is a one way in your opp dir but you can see vehicles going both directions, so never mind and go straight, till you reach a junction, again go straight and look for next major junction, turn left and next circle turn right and then you can see directions for ooty.This is the best way to get our of Mysore in case you happen to reach mysore in early hours...
Old 8th October 2008, 20:33   #360
BANNED

madan80 reported hopeless roads between Gundlupet and Bandipur. He was travelling from Bangalore to Coonoor today. BTW, he took the right (as in RHS) turn at Mysore bypass.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks