Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2012, 12:17   #4051
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
If your destination is in Coimbatore, they you need not travel through Annur-Ganapathy. Just keep diving from Mettupalayam towards Coimbatore through Karamadai-Thudiyalur.
Thanks - but is the mettupalayam road stretch repaired ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post

1. Alternatively you can think of doing Chennai - Perambalur - Musiri - Karur - Dharapuram - Pollachi - Palakkad as well.

2. Why don't you look at going through Mannarkad, Melatoor, Nilambur, Gudalur. It would save you the pain of climbing up the Ghats to Ooty and then climbing down.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...via=1&t=m&z=12

3. Suggest you come via Ooty, Kothagiri to Mettupalayam rather than via Coonoor. Traffic would be lesser and the roads are in decent shape all the way.
thanks Srikanth. some doubts

1. How good is this route in relatation to the regular Ulundurpet Salem route ? distance and road quality wise ?

2. this looks good. any feedback on the stretch ? presume it must be a slow climb unlike the ghat section of coonoor/ooty ?
Old 28th August 2012, 13:08   #4052
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
1. How good is this route in relatation to the regular Ulundurpet Salem route ? distance and road quality wise ?
In that case you can continue on the Salem route. But exit at Perundurai and go via Kangeyam, Palldam, Pollachi, Palakkad.

Saves a lot of hassle.
Old 28th August 2012, 15:09   #4053
Senior - BHPian

Drove from Bangalore to Kottayam through the route below. Avoided the section between Dindigul and Vatlagundu. Roads are pretty decent in most places except for some WIP areas near Cumbum. There are pretty good markings for the turn towards Theni/Kodaikanal on NH7 after Kodai Road railway station. Rest of the roads are all straight and no reasons for any confusion. Beware of heavy rains and traffic in Kerala.

Bangalore, Karnataka to Kottayam, Kerala - Google Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
In that case you can continue on the Salem route. But exit at Perundurai and go via Kangeyam, Palldam, Pollachi, Palakkad.

Saves a lot of hassle.
Came to know that the section between Avanashi and Palakkad is pretty decent now. I am driving back on this weekend through that route.

Last edited by vasoo : 28th August 2012 at 15:11.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 17:02   #4054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Came to know that the section between Avanashi and Palakkad is pretty decent now. I am driving back on this weekend through that route.
I came last week by bus from Palakkad, the stretch was quite bad between Walayar and Coimbatore bypass turnoff with lots of diversions. I am surprised it has changed in a week's time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Thanks - but is the mettupalayam road stretch repaired ?

thanks Srikanth. some doubts

2. this looks good. any feedback on the stretch ? presume it must be a slow climb unlike the ghat section of coonoor/ooty ?
1. The road is quite decent, though you would waste some time inside Perambalur town. You could use the suggestion given by ampere which is what most private buses used to use till a couple of months back on their way to Kerala from Salem.

2. The Nadugani ghats is a slow climb with a few hairpins but nothing compared to either the road to Ooty or from Ooty, but the roads are quite twisty all the way from Vazhikadavu to Gudalur.
Old 29th August 2012, 09:07   #4055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar

Roads are as good as usual
On my drive back i am planning for this route, I believe there is some stretch which needs to be avoided on this road, not able to recollect what it was, can u throw some light hvk.
Old 29th August 2012, 09:11   #4056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post
On my drive back i am planning for this route, I believe there is some stretch which needs to be avoided on this road, not able to recollect what it was, can u throw some light hvk.
No bad roads, but Nagercoil-Trivandrum is terribly congested and the 65 kms can take you as much as 2-3 hours if you are unlucky.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 11:21   #4057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
No bad roads, but Nagercoil-Trivandrum is terribly congested and the 65 kms can take you as much as 2-3 hours if you are unlucky.
There were bad section in my May trip, they are all patched up?
Old 29th August 2012, 21:13   #4058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
There were bad section in my May trip, they are all patched up?

Nopes, those are still there.

For Bangalore-Tvm via NH 7, if the two bottlenecks (Nagercoil-Tvm and Hosur-Bangalore) can be avoided, its pure bliss to drive.
Old 30th August 2012, 09:18   #4059
BHPian

Quote:
OH NO, i am not going to Trivandrum, but my trip will be from Palai to Bangalore, so i would be taking the eastern route in kerala via Theni, right.
Old 30th August 2012, 14:02   #4060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post

Any update whether this session has improved as mentioned by vasoo? Is there any progress in the work in Kuthiran? I am driving this Saturday from Bangalore to Kalady and back on Monday and would prefer to stick to the route that will take less time. On the other side, I use a sedan that with low GC and not fit for any adventure, so need to balance between time and road condition.
Old 30th August 2012, 15:13   #4061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Any update whether this session has improved as mentioned by vasoo? Is there any progress in the work in Kuthiran? I am driving this Saturday from Bangalore to Kalady and back on Monday and would prefer to stick to the route that will take less time. On the other side, I use a sedan that with low GC and not fit for any adventure, so need to balance between time and road condition.
Avinashi to Ettimadai is in fairly good shape. Avinashi bypass has been resurfaced and those awful expansion joints have been redone. Ettimadai to Walayar is in poor shape - looks like work has been abandoned here. Walayar to Palakkad is okay. Its better to go via Ottapalam-Shoranur than risk going via Vadakkenchery-Mannuthy.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 18:51   #4062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Avinashi to Ettimadai is in fairly good shape. Avinashi bypass has been resurfaced and those awful expansion joints have been redone. Ettimadai to Walayar is in poor shape - looks like work has been abandoned here. Walayar to Palakkad is okay. Its better to go via Ottapalam-Shoranur than risk going via Vadakkenchery-Mannuthy.
Many thanks binaiks. I am more worried about the taking the Ottaplam - Shornur stretch since much time is wated here compared to on the NH47. Palladam Pollachin Althur is fine compared to this. But from all the updates, it sounds like there is no progress in the work done on Kuthiran stretch?
Old 30th August 2012, 18:55   #4063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks binaiks. I am more worried about the taking the Ottaplam - Shornur stretch since much time is wated here compared to on the NH47. Palladam Pollachin Althur is fine compared to this. But from all the updates, it sounds like there is no progress in the work done on Kuthiran stretch?
I have done Ottapalam-Shoranur section during both peak and off-peak hours. I would rate the traffic on that road to be better than the one via Kuthiran - atleast the road is wider and hence you have more maneuvering space when those maniac private buses decide to jump in front.

Coming via Palladam-Pollachi route would mean landing up at Kuthiran again, or traveling through narrow roads around Alathur. I certainly do not think its worth that. Taking the regular route i.e., via Perundurai-Avinashi bypass-Coimbatore bypass-Palakkad is better, IMHO.
binaiks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 12:24   #4064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have done Ottapalam-Shoranur section during both peak and off-peak hours. I would rate the traffic on that road to be better than the one via Kuthiran - atleast the road is wider and hence you have more maneuvering space when those maniac private buses decide to jump in front.

Coming via Palladam-Pollachi route would mean landing up at Kuthiran again, or traveling through narrow roads around Alathur. I certainly do not think its worth that. Taking the regular route i.e., via Perundurai-Avinashi bypass-Coimbatore bypass-Palakkad is better, IMHO.
Thanks agains. I did Truchur - Ottapalam route to Palghat 2 weeks back on Sunday morning, traffic was not heavy but the average that can be maintained is considerably less compared to the NH (got a speeding ticket also on the Ottapalam stretch). From Palghat I took Pollachi and then joined at Perundurai.

I am planning to do your suggestion this time, NH till Paghat and then to Trichur via Ottaplam.
Old 31st August 2012, 13:02   #4065
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT use more than 2 smilies per post. We advise you to read our rules before proceeding any further.

Quote:
NH till Paghat
do look at the option of using NH 209 on the routing Bangalore - Kanakapura - Chamarajnagar - Sathyamangalam - Coimbatore.

- Enough signage
- Wonderful roads
- Scenic drive
- No tolls
- Minimal Traffic
- Excellent mileage
- Not much difference in time

Having taken this routing a couple of times earlier in the year, I am now a serious proposer to all Bangaloreans to take this route.

Last edited by GTO : 1st September 2012 at 16:44.
pariwar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks