Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2012, 10:11   #4411
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantu2001 View Post
This is a great suggestion. But my only concern is if there is any entry timing for the Irupu falls, I will be reaching there in advance. Its my first time on this route, so just for my understanding - How long will it take from Mysore to Irupu falls? The distance is 108 kms. 2.5 hrs?

Regards,
Anant
Searched my photos, but could not find the timings in any of them. However, got this photo with some phone numbers , probably you could call and try finding out.
All Roads to Kerala-img_0128.jpg

Also the forest office at Srimangala may be able to give some information: Phone: (08274) 246693, Mobile: 9480518039

Regarding driving time, Roads are very good till Forest entry gate, so if you are a fast driver, you could reach Nagarhole entry gate in around 1 hour to 1 hr 10 minutes. Then on, progress would be slower due to humps and potholes inside the forest. Add another hour to reach Kutta. From Kutta, it may take around 30 minutes maximum. So total around 2.5 hours or 3 hours at the max. The approach road to the parking lot near the falls (around 3km from Kutta-Srimangala road) is narrow with some steep ascents and descents.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 10:16   #4412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Searched my photos, but could not find the timings in any of them. However, got this photo with some phone numbers , probably you could call and try finding out.
Attachment 1017601

Also the forest office at Srimangala may be able to give some information: Phone: (08274) 246693, Mobile: 9480518039

Regarding driving time, Roads are very good till Forest entry gate, so if you are a fast driver, you could reach Nagarhole entry gate in around 1 hour to 1 hr 10 minutes. Then on, progress would be slower due to humps and potholes inside the forest. Add another hour to reach Kutta. From Kutta, it may take around 30 minutes maximum. So total around 2.5 hours or 3 hours at the max. The approach road to the parking lot near the falls (around 3km from Kutta-Srimangala road) is narrow with some steep ascents and descents.
Thanks Sandsun. I just checked online too. There is no entry timings for Irupu falls. So like you said, I'll reach the forest entry gate at around 6 AM to make the most out of it. Thanks again

Regards,
Anant
Old 23rd November 2012, 10:45   #4413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
I was told that the nadugaani road is bad. That was the reason why i diverted to the Sulthan Bathery road. If anyone has travelled via this road recently, the update will be of great help
Nadugani is not that bad that you have to avoid it. There are some craters along the curves on the Kerala side (may be 2 or 3). Go ahead and take the Nadugani route. It is the shortest from Bangalore to Kochi. Please see my post 2 - 3 pages before.
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:15   #4414
BHPian

Re: Travelling from Trivandrum to Kannur

Quote:
Guess this would be the best route currently except that from Ernakulam,
============
Moreover, the stretch from Ponnani to Edappally (EKM) is narrow and you would find heavy traffic during daytime.
Thanks sandsun7 It is no doubt that Ernakulam - Thrissur is the best road in the state but I have to pick a friend from Thriprayar and drop a friend at Vadanapally that is why i choose Edappally - Kogungallor - kunnamkulam route. Basically I am from Paravoor and so I am very much familiar with Edappally - Kodungallor stretch and moreover I am traveling at night so that route is ok for me. But I have no idea about the road condition from Chavakkad to Kannur.
Old 23rd November 2012, 12:07   #4415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblecr View Post
Thanks sandsun7 It is no doubt that Ernakulam - Thrissur is the best road in the state but I have to pick a friend from Thriprayar and drop a friend at Vadanapally that is why i choose Edappally - Kogungallor - kunnamkulam route. Basically I am from Paravoor and so I am very much familiar with Edappally - Kodungallor stretch and moreover I am traveling at night so that route is ok for me. But I have no idea about the road condition from Chavakkad to Kannur.
I suggest you take Chavakkad-Guruvayur-Kunnamkulam-Edappal-Kuttipuram-Kozhikode-Kannur route itself. Roads are good almost all the way.
Road from Ponnani to BP angadi via Chamravattom bridge is in bad condition.
Old 23rd November 2012, 13:38   #4416
BHPian

Quote:
I suggest you take Chavakkad-Guruvayur-Kunnamkulam-Edappal-Kuttipuram-Kozhikode-Kannur route itself. Roads are good almost all the way.
This is what I was looking for. Thanks again buddy.
Old 23rd November 2012, 19:29   #4417
Distinguished - BHPian

Just did Mysore to kochi today. Route followed was gundlupet - gudalur- nadugani - perinthalmanna - Thrissur - kochi. The condition of road is excellent except for a few craters near nadugani. Even that too is very much given for the otherwise excellent state of the entire drive.

The stretch through bandipur - mudumalai forest reserve was the highlight with few wild animal sightings.

Thanks a lot to hvkumar , ampere and pramod for advises with the route
Old 24th November 2012, 00:29   #4418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Just did Mysore to kochi today. Route followed was gundlupet - gudalur- nadugani - perinthalmanna - Thrissur - kochi. The condition of road is excellent except for a few craters near nadugani. Even that too is very much given for the otherwise excellent state of the entire drive.

The stretch through bandipur - mudumalai forest reserve was the highlight with few wild animal sightings.

Thanks a lot to hvkumar , ampere and pramod for advises with the route
How much time did it take and what time did you start?
Whats the average speed possible on this route?
Old 24th November 2012, 06:27   #4419
BHPian

Drivers for hire in Calicut?

Sorry for being off-topic but could not find a thread to post it and I need a quick response too for the sake of someone travelling tomorrow to Bangalore from Calicut. Can someone forward some good references for drivers for hire in Calicut? No taxi/car required as it is a self-owned car that is to be driven but they need just a reliable and safe driver; no speed driving required and this is going to be a 2-days & 1-overnight halt trip. Thanks in advance !
Old 24th November 2012, 09:24   #4420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljai

How much time did it take and what time did you start?
Whats the average speed possible on this route?
I was travelling with two kids. So taking my timings to account would not be justified as I went through with lots of stops in between and the speed was well within sedate levels. I started at 8 in the morning and reached home by 5 pm.

However, when travelling without strings attached you can very well travel the distance of 350 kms in around 6 hrs depending on the traffic on Kerala side of the route.

The roads in the forest is good but it's advised to keep a moderate speed as there's wild life aplenty. At nadugani the speed will automatically reduce due to winding roads.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 14:44   #4421
BHPian

Hey folks

Driving it down from Guruvayoor to Masinagudi, just wanted to check if I need to go to Thrissur - Shoranur - Pattambi - Perinthalmanna - Nilambur - Gudalur or can I head to Pattambi directly from Guruvayoor via Kunnamkulam?

As per Google Maps, the difference in distance between Guruvayoor and Thrissur as respective starting points to Masinagudi isn't much (12 KM). I'm exploring the idea of heading to Thrissur from Guruvayoor as I'm unsure of the road quality between Guruvayoor and Pattambi, which means I will be covering another 30 KM. Please advise whether it is advisable to head from Guruvayoor to Masinagudi directly or via Thrissur. What would be the estimated travel time from either start locations?

Road quality is imperative as my car is barely 2 months old and IMO, doesn't have a great GC (Rapid).

I should be making this trip on either Tuesday or Wednesday next week - promise to share an update once I'm back

Thanks a ton!
Old 24th November 2012, 14:49   #4422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripper View Post
As per Google Maps, the difference in distance between Guruvayoor and Thrissur as respective starting points to Masinagudi isn't much (12 KM). I'm exploring the idea of heading to Thrissur from Guruvayoor as I'm unsure of the road quality between Guruvayoor and Pattambi, which means I will be covering another 30 KM. Please advise whether it is advisable to head from Guruvayoor to Masinagudi directly or via Thrissur. What would be the estimated travel time from either start locations?
Guruvayur to Pattambi: The road is narrow, but the surface is good. The ride would be a bit bouncy to the uneven nature of road (typical of most Kerala roads), but there are no bad patches. It is better to go directly from Guruvayur to Pattambi than enduring the awful traffic from Guruvayur to Thrissur, and then upto Kulappully. There is on railway gate as well on the Shoranur-Pattambi stretch.

Guruvayur to Pattambi should take you not more than one hour. Guruvayur to Nilambur would take around 3~3.5 hrs depending on the time of travel.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 15:01   #4423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks

Guruvayur to Pattambi: The road is narrow, but the surface is good. The ride would be a bit bouncy to the uneven nature of road (typical of most Kerala roads), but there are no bad patches. It is better to go directly from Guruvayur to Pattambi than enduring the awful traffic from Guruvayur to Thrissur, and then upto Kulappully. There is on railway gate as well on the Shoranur-Pattambi stretch.

Guruvayur to Pattambi should take you not more than one hour. Guruvayur to Nilambur would take around 3~3.5 hrs depending on the time of travel.
Thanks a bunch binaiks, appreciate it. I will take your advice.

Is the road quality good all the way from Pattambi until Nilambur and futher until Gudalur? Any tourist attractions/ forest drive enroute?

We will head out from Guruvayoor by 8 am (after breakfast) hopefully. Lunch at Masinagudi I guess is a realistic target.
Thanks.
Old 24th November 2012, 16:12   #4424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post

Thanks a ton Binai, sincerely appreciate your advice and will take the same.

We will leave after breakfast from Guruvayur (hoping that doesn't stretch beyond 8am). Would a target for lunch at Gudalur/ Masinagudi be realistic (12ish)?

How's the road quality from Pattambi up until Gudalur? Are there any tourist spots on the way/ is it a forest drive and I hope there's reasonable probability of getting to see some wildlife

ATTN MOD: I tried replying to this message earlier through the Android App, didn't get the usual "acknowledgement and moderation advice" note. Hence the attempt via the tried and tested route, apologies if there's duplication.

Thanks again!
Old 24th November 2012, 18:45   #4425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripper

How's the road quality from Pattambi up until Gudalur? Are there any tourist spots on the way/ is it a forest drive and I hope there's reasonable probability of getting to see some wildlife

Thanks again!
The road from pattambi to gudalur is quite good. But do expect some potholes in the nadugani region after nilambur. The drive through the forest would be very nice. I was fortunate to have some wild sightings at the Karnataka side (bandipur) of the forests which is beyond gudalur.

The drive itself is quite relishing. No ear marked tourist spots as such. You can stop in between in the ghat section and take in the beauty.

Photography and picnics are prohibited inside the forest.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks