Old 3rd January 2013, 11:55   #4696
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
Hi All,
For going to Chalakudi I was thinking of the Below route
Salem-> Perendurai -> Pollachi -> Wadakancheri -> Thrissur -> Chalakudy
Any other Suggestions for a faster route?
I would suggest the classic route through L&T bye-pass, Walayar, Kuthiran to go to Thrissur. I am sure this will be faster than any other route.
The roads are pretty good all the way except Kuthiran. You can also try Ottapalam route to avoid this section. Avanashi bye-pass is almost done with a few diversions. I did Bangalore > Kottayam in 10 hours and Thrissur > Bangalore in 8 hours with about an hour break each during last week. Both were early morning starts.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 13:40   #4697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I would suggest the classic route through L&T bye-pass, Walayar, Kuthiran to go to Thrissur. I am sure this will be faster than any other route.
I agree completely. The NH 7/ NH 47 combination would be the fastest. The Ottappalam route would add another 30 - 40 mins to the travel time.
Old 3rd January 2013, 13:54   #4698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I agree completely. The NH 7/ NH 47 combination would be the fastest. The Ottappalam route would add another 30 - 40 mins to the travel time.
How much time does the stretch from Paliyekkara toll (Trichur) to Chandranagar (Palghat) take now ? (It's about 68 kms).

Just checked the GPX data of my Ernakulam Bangalore trip in mid November and found that it took me approx. 1 hr 35 minutes to cover the same stretch via Trichur town-Shoranur-Ottappalam (93.5 kms). This was of course early in the morning (6 AM to 7:35 AM), so I'd expect it to take somewhat longer once the traffic picks up during the day.
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:08   #4699
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
How much time does the stretch from Paliyekkara toll (Trichur) to Chandranagar (Palghat) take now ? (It's about 68 kms).

Just checked the GPX data of my Ernakulam Bangalore trip in mid November and found that it took me approx. 1 hr 35 minutes to cover the same stretch via Trichur town-Shoranur-Ottappalam (93.5 kms). This was of course early in the morning (6 AM to 7:35 AM), so I'd expect it to take somewhat longer once the traffic picks up during the day.
Yes It will. You could probably do it in about 2.0 hrs.But if you are not in that hurry, I prefer the ottapalm route any day. Also there is a new functional bridge at wadankanchery so that you don't have worry about wasting time at the railway cross.
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:28   #4700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1 hr 35 minutes to cover the same stretch via Trichur town-Shoranur-Ottappalam (93.5 kms).
Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Yes It will. You could probably do it in about 2.0 hrs.But if you are not in that hurry
It will take 2.25 - 2.5 hours in peak traffic and you could get stuck in mutliple towns. I covered Paliyekkara to Chandra Nagar in 1.5 hours between 7:50 AM to 9:20 AM.
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:52   #4701
Distinguished - BHPian

Thrissur - Palghat isnt all that bad except for few huge potholes and bumpy ride. I would say a max of 20 kms of bad roads.

Here are the details of my recent trip to Blore

25th Dec
Cochin - Blore covered in 7.5 hours (Start time 4am)

1st Jan
Blore - Cochin covered in 9.5 hours (Start time 11.30am)

Took around 4 hours to cover Coimbatore - Cochin. Heavy traffic after Walayar.

NH-47/NH-7 recommended. They have patched few huge potholes last week.
Old 3rd January 2013, 15:43   #4702
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Any latest update on

Ernakulam - Athirappilly - Vazhachaal - Sholayar - Valparai - Aliyar - Anamalai - Chemmanampathy - Vadakkencherry
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:17   #4703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala

It should be 1hr 30 mins max, with little bit bumpy ride (except for peak traffic hours)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs
Guys,

Any latest update on

Ernakulam - Athirappilly - Vazhachaal - Sholayar - Valparai - Aliyar - Anamalai - Chemmanampathy - Vadakkencherry
Ernakulam-Vazhachal till Kerala border is in very good shape.

Last edited by GTO : 4th January 2013 at 15:07. Reason: Merging both your posts.
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:47   #4704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Guys,

Any latest update on

Planning a Valparai trip? When?
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:48   #4705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Cochin - Blore covered in 7.5 hours (Start time 4am)
7.5 hours?? Do you have aft burners on your ride ?
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:52   #4706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Ernakulam-Vazhachal till Kerala border is in very good shape.
Thanks coolclouds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Planning a Valparai trip? When?
Hey Buddy, check out the below link. I was asking you or HVK for related help .
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-valparai.html

BTW planning a day trip on 19th to Drive from Kochi via Athirapally - Vazhachaal - Valparai and back via straight Pollachi road.
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:54   #4707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
7.5 hours?? Do you have aft burners on your ride ?
. Being Xmas, road was completely empty. Even I was surprised to see that we reached so fast. Also took a 45 min break for breakfast. Reached Koramangala in 7.5 hours. Was able to maintain a good top speed but nothing exceeding 140.
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:57   #4708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

While coming back from Thrissur, it took me about 1 hr 35 minutes to cover the distance of about 60 kms between Mannuthy and Chandranagar. Started at 5 AM and it was dark while driving through Kuthiran. High beams of trucks/buses and poor lighting affects the speed here. Should be able to cover the same distance in about 70 minutes in daylight. did not measure the time while going in opposite direction.
Old 4th January 2013, 17:33   #4709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
What time do you plan to start from BGLR? if you plan to start late morning or afternoon, then Pollachi route makes sense to avoid traffic. You can find updates about both routes in the last 3-4 pages of this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
The roads are pretty good all the way except Kuthiran. You can also try Ottapalam route to avoid this section. Avanashi bye-pass is almost done with a few diversions. I did Bangalore > Kottayam in 10 hours and Thrissur > Bangalore in 8 hours with about an hour break each during last week. Both were early morning starts.
thanks vasoo and arjithn for the advice. I will be starting early from bangalore.

anyone tried the below route. is it drivable?? I am returning alone so am willing to experiment a bit. If anyone has any ideas about this route please update.

Adoor -> Pathanapuram -> Punalur -> Tenkasi -> Tirumangalam -> Madurai -> Salem -> Bangalore
Old 5th January 2013, 09:16   #4710
BHPian

My Brother travelled from cochin to bangalore on Jan 2nd. Started at 4 am from cochin and reached electronic city by 1pm with a half an hour break in btw.

The major issue was Thrissur to Palakkad. He said that the road is very bad and some craters deep enough to cause real damage ! He felt tired after the ordeal and stopped at Comibatore for the break. The stretch after that is fine.

When i used a cab recently, the driver suggested doing the Thrissur-Palakkad stretch via Ottapaalam. Not sure about the time that can be saved but is a defn stress free drive. it is longer by 25-30 kms.

Most Viewed