Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2013, 08:02   #4936
M35
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Per @ranjitp1 this route Palakkad-Olavakkode-Mundur-Kozhikode is good but a bit confused due to gmaps suggesting Mundur-Kongad-Sreekrishnapuram-Perithalmanna-Malappuram-Kozhikode whereas the actual NH213 route is Palakkad-Olavakkode-Mundur-Kalladikode-Mannarkkad-Perithalmanna-Malappuram-Kozhikode.
Exactly at Mundur Junction, one needs to take Right towards Kozhikkod via Mannarkad.If proceeds straight will take you through Kongad- sreekrishnapuram till you hit perinthamanna where you will join the mannarkad route towards kozhikkod. I would prefer the mannarkad as the latter is little bumpier,but not very bad though.
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 08:07   #4937
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Per @ranjitp1 this route Palakkad-Olavakkode-Mundur-Kozhikode is good but a bit confused due to gmaps suggesting Mundur-Kongad-Sreekrishnapuram-Perithalmanna-Malappuram-Kozhikode whereas the actual NH213 route is Palakkad-Olavakkode-Mundur-Kalladikode-Mannarkkad-Perithalmanna-Malappuram-Kozhikode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Exactly at Mundur Junction, one needs to take Right towards Kozhikkod via Mannarkad.If proceeds straight will take you through Kongad- sreekrishnapuram till you hit perinthamanna where you will join the mannarkad route towards kozhikkod. I would prefer the mannarkad as the latter is little bumpier,but not very bad though.
+1 Mannarkad route is the standard NH213. And that is the regular route to Calicut. I was thinking if the alternative via Shornur/Pattambi/Kottakal worth it?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 08:16   #4938
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
+1 Mannarkad route is the standard NH213. And that is the regular route to Calicut. I was thinking if the alternative via Shornur/Pattambi/Kottakal worth it?
PKD-Pattambi is in excellent condition, even between Kulappully and pattambi. But Pattambi-valancheri stretch could be bumpier and stressful, if you meant this route. After that you can continue breezing along, I guess.
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 08:28   #4939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I reckon it depends on where you plan to join NH17. If south of the Nila, then the bridge to cross the river is considered traffic-prone; if north (after crossing it at say, Pattambi) then you probably are fine.
Though I believe a new bridge has been constructed at Tavanur. Still, you are looking at 30-40km longer routes compared to NH213 - in Kerala terms, an hour or more.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 08:39   #4940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me, I almost forgot this! Yes, on the onward journey we need to reach Palakkad on Day 1, not necessary to visit Alathur on the way as we can visit next day from Palakkad.

I would suggest you leave bangalore at 4-430.Pack breakfast.Salem by 630-7.From there if you have to go to alathur(temple)then I suggest you take the palladam-kollengode-alathur route.from salem to alathur via this route is 4hrs.From alathur if you dont have any reason to go to palakkad then I suggest you take the alathur pazhayannur mayannur bridge ottapalam pattambi valanchery route to kozhikode.roads are all good.

If alathur is not needed and only palakkad is your destination then keep on the nh47 till palakkad.after chandranagar nh continues to your left,you keep straight and go towards the town,cross the big Indianoil pump to your left and after a couple of kms you would find a big 4laned road to your right with directions for malampuzha kozhikode etc.this is the palakkad bypass.take the right and go straight on towards olavakode station and continue past the station towards mundur.At mundur junction the highway veers to the right towards manarkad.if you go straight at mundur junction that also connects to the same highway at perinthalmana (via mundur kadambazhipuram mangalamkunnu sreekrishnapuram cherplassery perinthalmana).Both the roads are in good condition.The "official" road is via manarkad.if you want a scenic and unexplored road go straight at mundur.Time taken via both roads is more or less the same.Either ways you should easily be able to make it to Kozhikode on same day with some after dark driving.Roads are absolutely safe and plenty of wayside facilities

Palakkad-Kozhikode(via NH213)

http://goo.gl/maps/P60gW

Salem-Palladam-Alathur

http://goo.gl/maps/NJDBB

Alathur-Pazhayannur-Valancheri

http://goo.gl/maps/KWlsM

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 9th April 2013 at 09:06. Reason: Maps added
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 09:20   #4941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I reckon it depends on where you plan to join NH17. If south of the Nila, then the bridge to cross the river is considered traffic-prone; if north (after crossing it at say, Pattambi) then you probably are fine.
Though I believe a new bridge has been constructed at Tavanur. Still, you are looking at 30-40km longer routes compared to NH213 - in Kerala terms, an hour or more.
Has that bridge been operationalised-the one between Thirunavaya and Tavanur?Last I heard of it was that it was given to RDBCK(Roads & Bridges Corpn of Kerala) to build.
Old 9th April 2013, 10:34   #4942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Has that bridge been operationalised-the one between Thirunavaya and Tavanur?Last I heard of it was that it was given to RDBCK(Roads & Bridges Corpn of Kerala) to build.
My mistake - I meant the Chamravattam bridge (found this link in Malayalam: http://www.mathrubhumi.com/story.php?id=272379).
Old 9th April 2013, 10:58   #4943

Hi friends,

I need to travel from Bangalore to Kothamangalam near Kochi (if i am right) to attend a wedding. Will be taking my endeavour automatic. so road conditions are acceptable. want to travel via mysore, sultan bathery. reason being never travelled in this route and i heard that it is quite a nice drive. Can any one give me clear instructions on the route. will be going from kothamangal to madurai and then on to bangalore.

thanks a million in advance.
Old 9th April 2013, 11:17   #4944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Local newspapers reported atleast 3 huge traffic Jams in Kuthiran section (between Trichur & Palakad)over last 7 days , one was 13 hrs long. All owing to some road repair work on the "Irumbu Palam" (Iron bridge).

All of them started post noon.
If they are repairing the iron bridge, it is indeed good news. Please do post updates on the same whenever you have.

Thanks.
Old 9th April 2013, 16:00   #4945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
About Palakkad-Calicut:

How is Ottapalam-Shoranur-Pattambi-Kottakal-Calicut as an alternative? I am sure it would be very traffic prone.
Quote:
At mundur junction the highway veers to the right towards manarkad.if you go straight at mundur junction that also connects to the same highway at perinthalmana (via mundur kadambazhipuram mangalamkunnu sreekrishnapuram cherplassery perinthalmana).Both the roads are in good condition.The "official" road is via manarkad.if you want a scenic and unexplored road go straight at mundur.Time taken via both roads is more or less the same.Either ways you should easily be able to make it to Kozhikode on same day with some after dark driving.
If it is night or early morning or even mid-day, I would prefer the Mundur-Mannarkad-Perintalmanna route, since the surfacing is better and there are less blind curves.

During peak hours, the route through Cherplassery will be better, since you can avoid the mess of Mannarkad town, and also you reach the Perintalmanna Junction easily with less traffic. But the road surface is not very good, making it difficult to cross 60kmph. This route is 10kms less than the one through Mannarkad, but you will not get time advantage during non-peak hours due to the undulating roads

After Perintalmanna, dont miss the by-pass to Malappuram town : comes just after you cross the bridge over Kadalundi river at Koottilangadi, towards the right. You will hit the Malappuram-Manjeri road. Here you take right and then immediate left. Further about a km or so you will join back NH213

Palakkad to Ramanattukara (Calicut Bypass) will take 2 hours

Last edited by mallumowgli : 9th April 2013 at 16:07.
mallumowgli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 16:02   #4946
BHPian

Just got an update (a driver who does this route every day)...

He said the road is good to go and the work on Kuthiran Bridge 'Irumbu Palam' has been completed.

Can anyone here confirm this or any update on the CBE-WALAYAR-PALAKAD-THRISSUR route?

Thank you Guys.
Old 9th April 2013, 16:11   #4947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vensum View Post
Hi friends,

I need to travel from Bangalore to Kothamangalam near Kochi (if i am right) to attend a wedding. Will be taking my endeavour automatic. so road conditions are acceptable. want to travel via mysore, sultan bathery. reason being never travelled in this route and i heard that it is quite a nice drive. Can any one give me clear instructions on the route. will be going from kothamangal to madurai and then on to bangalore.

thanks a million in advance.
Here is an update on a slightly different route - instead of Sultan Bathery he takes Nadukani-Nilambur route. This would be a better and equally scenic route to reach Kunnamkulam from where you can turn off to reach Trichur

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3088447
Old 9th April 2013, 16:55   #4948
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vensum View Post
Hi friends,

I need to travel from Bangalore to Kothamangalam near Kochi (if i am right) to attend a wedding. Will be taking my endeavour automatic. so road conditions are acceptable. want to travel via mysore, sultan bathery. reason being never travelled in this route and i heard that it is quite a nice drive.
That would be quite painful driving most of the 500+ km on two lanes.
I would say stick to regular 4-lane via CBE/Palakkad/Trichur/Angamaly/Perumbavoor.

Quote:
Can any one give me clear instructions on the route. will be going from kothamangal to madurai and then on to bangalore.
Kothamangalam-Adimali-Rajakkad-Poppara-Theni-Madurai

At Adimali dont take the road to Munnar. Ask for the road to Poppara
Old 9th April 2013, 17:25   #4949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At Adimali dont take the road to Munnar. Ask for the road to Poppara
Wasnt Adimali-Rajakkad-Poopara road undergoing repairs and closed for works?or is it the munnar-poopara road that is closed-i cant seem to remember which one is it.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 9th April 2013 at 17:28.
Old 9th April 2013, 17:30   #4950
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Wasnt Adimali-Rajakkad-Poopara road undergoing repairs and closed for works?
There appears to be some road repair work happening between Kunchithanni and Rajakkad. But it isn't closed

Most Viewed