Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2013, 17:40   #4951
Team-BHP Support

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Wasnt Adimali-Rajakkad-Poopara road undergoing repairs and closed for works?or is it the munnar-poopara road that is closed-i cant seem to remember which one is it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
There appears to be some road repair work happening between Kunchithanni and Rajakkad. But it isn't closed
I was thinking who had posted saying that Adimali-Rajakkad is working fine?
I remembered commenting on a TL. Then when I searched I realised it was M35 himself!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3048349
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 20:12   #4952
Senior - BHPian

Did Cochin-Bangalore yesterday during daytime.

Mannuthy-Vadakkancherry is doable without much issues during day time if ok with a bumpy ride.

No traffic blocks at Walayar

Coimbatore-Satyamangalam-Chamarajnagar-Kanakpura is in good shape as usual.

Traffic was above average between Kanakpura and NICE road entry, may be due to evening hours.

Last edited by coolclouds : 9th April 2013 at 20:13.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 09:33   #4953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Did Cochin-Bangalore yesterday during daytime.

Mannuthy-Vadakkancherry is doable without much issues during day time if ok with a bumpy ride.

Coimbatore-Satyamangalam-Chamarajnagar-Kanakpura is in good shape as usual.
Did you notice any repair work in Kuthiran Irumpu Palam? Read in Mathrubhumi that locals stopped substandard repair work on the Irumpupalam and work resumed after negotiation with some NHAI official.

Where did you deviate to Sathyamangalam route while coming from Kochi?
Old 10th April 2013, 10:48   #4954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Did you notice any repair work in Kuthiran Irumpu Palam? Read in Mathrubhumi that locals stopped substandard repair work on the Irumpupalam and work resumed after negotiation with some NHAI official.
I am driving to Chalakudy today or tomorrow, will update once I reach there.
Old 10th April 2013, 12:07   #4955
BHPian

Drove Bangalore(ITPL)-Ramnagara-Mandya-Mysore ORR-Hunsur-Nagerhole Sanctuary-Kutta-Mananthavady-Niravilpuzha-Kuttiadi-Vadakara(Villiappally). Updated the timings and road conditions below:

Bangalore(ITPL) to NICE Road exit
- Started from ITPL at 1:00 PM and take the route Marthahally-Silk Board-Hosa Road jn-NICE Road. Reached the NICE exit for Mysore road at 2:05 PM. Traffic was moderate as compared to normal condition.
NICE Road exit to Columbia Asia Hospital jn Mysore ORR -Reached Columbia asia junction at 3:58 PM. Stopped at Maddur Mcd for 10 mins to have a burger. Traffic was moderate.

Mysore road ORR to Nagerhole Reserve Entrance
- Reached Nagerhole Reserve entry at 5:00 PM. Traffic was moderate on Mysore-Hunsur and was almost nil after Hunsur. Stopped for a natural break before Forest entry for five minutes.

Nagerhole forest entry to Kutta
- Reached Kutta by 5.48 PM. No change in the road condition inside the reserve. Neat roads with occasional bad patches and frequent speed breakers.

Kutta to Mananthavady - Reached Mananthavadi town at 6:25 PM. Nice to see the section between Kutta-Kerala border patched up after long time. The roads inside Tholpetty reserve is a dream to drive. Traffic was nearly nil.

Mananthavadi to Niravilpuzha
- Normally this is the worst stretch in all my previous drives. Now all the potholes are patched up and I was able to make good time. Reached Niravilpuzha at 6:45 PM. There was some work going on Niravilpuzha bridge and so the traffic was diverted to another small road which is in really pathetic condition. This reduced my pace little bit but the section was only 1 km or so. The detour is as shown below:
Name:  Screenshot_20130410115043.png
Views: 1089
Size:  68.4 KB

NiravilPuzha to Kuttiady - The best part of the drive. What a smooth tarmac and well marked. The ghat section is also a delight to drive. Reached Kuttiyady around 7:20 PM. The traffic was high in all the towns.

Kuttiyady to Villiappalli - The roads between Kuttiady - Vadakara are getting rubberized. Some works going here and there. Lot of excellent sections with smooth tarmac. I took the deviation from Kummancode to my home and reached there at 7:50 PM.
First time covering this distance(366 kms) under 7 hours, thanks to good roads and less traffic

Used the 'My Tracks' android app to track the journey. To my surprise, it tracking was accurate. It was even showing all the detours I had from the main road correctly. A quite useful app. Attached the screenshot below. The .kml file is with me and I don't know how to use it
Name:  Screenshot_20130410111419.png
Views: 956
Size:  356.4 KB
Name:  Screenshot_20130410111400.png
Views: 916
Size:  68.8 KB
Name:  Screenshot_20130410111409.png
Views: 846
Size:  51.4 KB
denver85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 13:46   #4956
BHPian

Drove from BLR to Chengannur this saturday.
Route = North BLR -> Salem-> Dindugul-> Theni -> Kumily -> Erumeli -> Ranni -> Chengannur.
Except for few minor diversions between Dindugul and Kumily, roads are pretty good. I did 630 Kms in 11 hours including breakfast, lunch and two fueling breaks. I started from home at 5AM and did not exceed 120 km in good stretches in a Verna petrol.

During christmas I drove from BLR to Chengannur through CBE Palakkad in my Laura VRS and it took 15 hours Door to door.

By the way petrol Verna seems to be a guzzler. I got an average of 11.7 for 1000 KM's. Even VRS gave a marginaly better average of 11.8 for the previous trip of 1400 Km's

Regards, MB.

Last edited by motor_breathing : 10th April 2013 at 13:48. Reason: add punctuation mark
Old 10th April 2013, 15:19   #4957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
The .kml file is with me and I don't know how to use it
I use this app extensively. Use http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ or google earth to play around with the kml file.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 17:08   #4958
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Used the 'My Tracks' android app to track the journey. To my surprise, it tracking was accurate. It was even showing all the detours I had from the main road correctly. A quite useful app. Attached the screenshot below. The .kml file is with me and I don't know how to use it
Thats a good update.

On file formats, GPX is the best way to save your logs. KML can viewed in Google earth. Its the best way to see all the details.
Coming to GPS, I have a bias for PND, rather than using smart phones. Though I have sygic maps on my Android, I still prefer a Garmin device.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 17:46   #4959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There were few cops to control the traffic and found a jeep and few guys, hopefully, to do repair work.

Quote:
Where did you deviate to Sathyamangalam route while coming from Kochi?
I had some work at PSG college hence took a deviation to Annur near PSG college itself.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 12:33   #4960
Senior - BHPian

Any very latest update on the below routes?

1) Kochi - Paravoor - Ponnani - Kozhikode

2) Ponnani - Kuttipuram - Perinthalmanna - Nilambur - Gudalur - Gundlupet

Hope Gundlupet - Kozhikode is a breeze after the recent laying of rubberized tarmac.
Old 12th April 2013, 13:06   #4961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Hope Gundlupet - Kozhikode is a breeze after the recent laying of rubberized tarmac.
I did Gundlupet-Kozhikode (and back) twice in Q1/2013.

Both times, the stretch between Sulthan Bathery town and KL-KA border was bad; it was OK near the town and progressively deteriorated as you neared the border. The last couple of kms - from Ponkuzhi temple to Moolehole check post - was horrible (though some patchwork appeared to have been done).

Kalpetta to Kozhikode is beautiful. Bathery to Kalpetta is above average.

As far as Gundlupet - KA-KL border goes: the first time (in Jan) it was fantastic. But the second time (in March) they had started relaying the surface of the road (I couldn't fathom why - the surface was just fine). So, for a long stretch you have only one lane, leading to jams and off-roading.
Old 12th April 2013, 13:37   #4962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I did Gundlupet-Kozhikode (and back) twice in Q1/2013.

Both times, the stretch between Sulthan Bathery town and KL-KA border was bad; it was OK near the town and progressively deteriorated as you neared the border. The last couple of kms - from Ponkuzhi temple to Moolehole check post - was horrible (though some patchwork appeared to have been done).

Kalpetta to Kozhikode is beautiful. Bathery to Kalpetta is above average.

As far as Gundlupet - KA-KL border goes: the first time (in Jan) it was fantastic. But the second time (in March) they had started relaying the surface of the road (I couldn't fathom why - the surface was just fine). So, for a long stretch you have only one lane, leading to jams and off-roading.
Thanks binand. It helps. So 10-15KMs of really bad roads? Is it not motorable for sedans?
Old 12th April 2013, 13:45   #4963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks binand. It helps. So 10-15KMs of really bad roads? Is it not motorable for sedans?
I did it both times in my I10. No issues - just that you need to be aware of the potholes; evading them is manageable. Much of the road is just "uneven", just about a km or two of potholes.

I will be doing it again in my Civic in May. I don't envisage any problems given current conditions continue.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 15:09   #4964
BHPian

Quote:
1) Kochi - Paravoor - Ponnani - Kozhikode
Drove this route in Jan 2013. The conditions were like below:
Kochi to Paravoor - The road conditions are good if you are taking the NH17(Varapuzha) or NH47 (Alwye). The traffic is heavy on both the roads in the daytime.
Paravoor to Kodungaloor - Good roads with some sections really narrow. If you are traveling in a busy time this stretch will be horrible.
Kodungaloor to Chavakkad - The roads are really nice till Chettuva bridge. The traffic is slightly better as compared to above stretches. The road is bumpy from Chettuva to Chavakkad.
Chavakkad to Ponnani - Excellent road with moderate traffic. Traffic is high near Chavakkad and Ponnani towns.
Quote:
2) Ponnani - Kuttipuram - Perinthalmanna - Nilambur - Gudalur - Gundlupet.
Ponnani to Kuttipuram - There are two routes. Ponnani-Chamravattom-Thavanur-Kuttipuram and Ponnani-Edappal-Kuttipuram. The roads thorough Edappal is better and less time consuming. The traffic will be moderate.
Valanchery to Perinthalmanna - Roads are good. Traffic is also less. This road has got some dangerous curve and a small ghat section near MES medical college, be safe at these stretches.
Perinthalmanna to Nilambur - Very good roads. The towns like Pattikad, Pandikad and Wandoor will reduce your pace.
Nilambur to Gudalur - The ghat section is in very good condition now after the patch works. Traffic will be moderate.
Gudalur to Gundlupet - Good roads except some bad patches in Muthumalai Tiger reserve as you approach Tepakathu. I will be driving thorough this road tomorrow, so will provide the latest update after that.
denver85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 16:31   #4965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Drove this route in Jan 2013. The conditions were like below:
Kochi to Paravoor - The road conditions are good if you are taking the NH17(Varapuzha) or NH47 (Alwye). The traffic is heavy on both the roads in the daytime.
Paravoor to Kodungaloor - Good roads with some sections really narrow. If you are traveling in a busy time this stretch will be horrible.
Kodungaloor to Chavakkad - The roads are really nice till Chettuva bridge. The traffic is slightly better as compared to above stretches. The road is bumpy from Chettuva to Chavakkad.
Chavakkad to Ponnani - Excellent road with moderate traffic. Traffic is high near Chavakkad and Ponnani towns.
Ponnani to Kuttipuram - There are two routes. Ponnani-Chamravattom-Thavanur-Kuttipuram and Ponnani-Edappal-Kuttipuram. The roads thorough Edappal is better and less time consuming. The traffic will be moderate.
Valanchery to Perinthalmanna - Roads are good. Traffic is also less. This road has got some dangerous curve and a small ghat section near MES medical college, be safe at these stretches.
Perinthalmanna to Nilambur - Very good roads. The towns like Pattikad, Pandikad and Wandoor will reduce your pace.
Nilambur to Gudalur - The ghat section is in very good condition now after the patch works. Traffic will be moderate.
Gudalur to Gundlupet - Good roads except some bad patches in Muthumalai Tiger reserve as you approach Tepakathu. I will be driving thorough this road tomorrow, so will provide the latest update after that.
Thanks denver. I meant Edappal route only. Shall wait for your latest update on Gudalur to Gundlupet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks