Old 1st August 2013, 14:44   #5386
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
I am planning a drive this weekend to 4 temples in Kerala. It consists of

1) Pollachi to Triprayar

a) Pollachi-Mannuthy-Cherpu-Triprayar(http://goo.gl/maps/iXW8u) OR
b) Pollachi-Alathur-Chelakkara-Thrissur-NH17-Triprayar.
May be you could avoid the drive through Trichur by going via Wadakkanchery-Kecheri-Choondal-Guruvayoor-Chavakkad (a modified version of your option (b)). Roads should generally be good. I'm not 100% sure about the condition of the Wadakkanchery-Kechery road (SH76 as marked in Google Maps) but since there have been reports that roads inside Trichur town are in pretty bad shape, you may save some time by avoiding the town.

Last edited by kala : 1st August 2013 at 15:00. Reason: corrected grammar
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 14:55   #5387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I'm not 100% sure about the condition of the Wadakkanchery-Kechery road (SH76 as marked in Google Maps) but since there have been reports are that roads inside Trichur town are in pretty bad shape, you may save some time by avoiding the town.
Drove this road around 1 month back. The condition was good. There were some bad patches here and there, but nothing to complain if we are comparing with current condition of other roads in Kerala. First 5-6 kms is not rubberized which offers a bumpy ride. Rest of the roads were really nice.
Old 1st August 2013, 15:33   #5388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Pollachi to Triprayar
I guess you are doing the "Nalambala Darshanam" ?

In addition to Kala's reccomendations,Pollachi-Triprayar is best done via Kollengode-Pazhyannur-Wadakancheri-Cherpu-Triprayar.Thrissur town roads can be negotiated,you wouldnt lose much time.At Kollengode do not follow directions for Thrissur as that would take you to NH47 via Vadakencheri which is horrible.Instead at Kollengode ask for Alathur via Pallassana,Pallavoor,Kunhissery etc and people would direct you to the correct road.Kollengode to Alathur is 19kms.

Thrissur-Cherpu-Triprayar is the best route.

Quote:
Q1: Which among them is suggested for a early morning start(4-5AM)?

2) Triprayar to Koodalmanikyam : http://goo.gl/maps/kiuwl
3) Koodalmanikam to Moozhikulam : http://goo.gl/maps/T6Xh2
4) Moozhikulam to Payammal temple: http://goo.gl/maps/0FeI1
For the rest of the routes,the best way to do it is like this:

Thriprayar-Pazhuvil-Chirakkal-Thannissery-Irinjalakuda-Vellangallur-Velayanadu-Kombidi-Ashtamichira-Mala-Annamanada-Moozhikulam.
http://goo.gl/maps/HWwh2<<<Thriprayar to Moozhikulam.

From Moozhikulam,retrace your route all the way back to Vellangallur,then go towards Aripalam and onwards to Payammal.
http://goo.gl/maps/Y7JFq <<<Moozhikulam to Payammal
Old 1st August 2013, 15:42   #5389

All, I plan to drive from Bangalore to Alleppey next week. I will be driving me SX4, could anyone help me with the best possible route to take, best time to start, amount of time it would take to reach etc. It would be my first road trip to Kerala from Bangalore.
Old 1st August 2013, 15:48   #5390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhnag View Post
All, I plan to drive from Bangalore to Alleppey next week. I will be driving me SX4, could anyone help me with the best possible route to take, best time to start, amount of time it would take to reach etc. It would be my first road trip to Kerala from Bangalore.
bangalore-salem-perundurai-kangayam-palladam-pollachi-govindapuram-kollengode-alathur-pazhyannur-chelakara-wadakancheri-thrissur-nh47-edappally-alleppey.

Do not take the NH47 between Palakkad and Thrissur.

http://goo.gl/maps/T13YI
ranjitp1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 15:51   #5391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I guess you are doing the "Nalambala Darshanam" ?
Yes, this month being auspicious for that. Thanks a lot for the pointers to the temple roads.

Considering that it will take 30 minute(20 km) for me to reach Kollengode from my village, can you please give an idea about the starting time so as to cover all the 4 temples within 12 PM(darshan closing time).

The vehicle is a Tavera, by the way.
Old 1st August 2013, 15:55   #5392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this month being auspicious for that. Thanks a lot for the pointers to the temple roads.

Considering that it will take 30 minute(20 km) for me to reach Kollengode from my village, can you please give an idea about the starting time so as to cover all the 4 temples within 12 PM(darshan closing time).

The vehicle is a Tavera, by the way.
It should take you 3hrs to Thrissur,30-45mins to Thriprayar,and from thereon its 45mins between each temple.As the day progresses,traffic would increase.If you leave home by 4-5am,you should be able to do the temples conveniently with stops for breakfast,food etc.

PS:You can stop to buy banana chips from SNR at Alathur bus stand on your way back.The chips are heavenly and the best in Kerala by a mile imo.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 1st August 2013 at 15:57.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 15:55   #5393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ranjitp1 has already provided you the best route. If you are not averse to driving at night, I suggest an early afternoon start from Bangalore, say 2 o'clock. So you can hit Kerala roads late in the night, when the traffic won't be too much of a bother

Quote:
... at Kollengode ask for Alathur via Pallassana,Pallavoor,Kunhissery etc and people would direct you to the correct road.Kollengode to Alathur is 19kms.
A slight correction - it is Kunissery

Last edited by silversteed : 1st August 2013 at 16:03.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 16:01   #5394

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
ranjitp1 has already provided you the best route. If you are not averse to driving at night, I suggest an early afternoon start from Bangalore, say 2 o'clock. So you can hit Kerala roads late in the night, when the traffic won't be too much of a bother
Thanks for the response.
Actually, I am. I would prefer an early 4am start, do you think that would help me reach by around 2 pm?
Old 1st August 2013, 16:16   #5395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the response.
Actually, I am. I would prefer an early 4am start, do you think that would help me reach by around 2 pm?
2.5-3hrs to Salem
30mins to Perundurai turnoff
4-5hrs to Thrissur from Perundurai
1hr to Edappally
2hrs to Alleppey

These are all approximate timings,rest would depend on driving style,speed,number of breaks,traffic jams enroute,fuelling stops etc.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 20:06   #5396
BHPian

1. Could someone please give a post rains update on Thiruvalla - Adoor section of the MC road?

2. Any idea ragrding road conditions from Adoor to Punalur?

3. Is this a better alternative:
Thiruvalla - Kozhenchery - Pathanamthitta - Pathanapuram - Punalur ??

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 1st August 2013 at 20:12. Reason: adding Q3!
Old 1st August 2013, 21:59   #5397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Thiruvalla - Adoor section of the MC road?
Thiruvalla - Chenganoor is not great. If you are doing it in an SUV, fine. Else, calculate additional time to climb pot holes. And expect long traffic block before 2 one-way bridges if it is peak hours.

Chenganoor - Adoor all the way till Trivandrum M.C Road is perfect tarmac. When coming from Kottayam to reach Chenganoor, to avoid potholes, I usually take Kumbanad - Aaratupuzha - from Aaratupuzha right to Puthencavu - from Puthencavu left to Mulakuzha passing Century Hospital to reach M.C Road.

Another thing I know is that Thiruvalla - Kozhenchery (after rain) - Pathanamthitta (before rain) road is fine.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 09:10   #5398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedia2013 View Post
Thank you so much Kumar. But to my dismay, today's newspaper says that there are two gunmen roaming in Valparai, suspected to be naxal/maoists/animal poachers, and police are in search of the duo. Omg! God save us from them!
Maybe you will face some police checks, so keep all your IDs ready for verification

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
HVK Sir, Any idea about the condition, can we drive sedans easily...? I have to visit Cochin in this month and thinking of taking this route (if the condition is drivable). This will be a longer route, still I wanted to enjoy the sceneries and pay a visit to the Athirappalli falls if possible.

Thanks
Rajesh
Great route, one of the bets mountain drives you can do in South India. Doable for any car. Make sure you do it before road closes at 6 pm & have enough day light to reach either en - i.e. Chalakudy or Valparai/ Pollachi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
It is possible to drive any type of car. I had driven my Alto, fellow TBHPian NPV had driven his Dzire. However should say it is a time consuming route to EKM. Yes, the scenery is great.
Yes, any car can do it. Be wary of fog in some sections of the route, and also heavy fog descending from Valparai towards Pollachi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Any idea after the recent heavy rains..? I will be driving in my Xylo mostly.
A few bad sections are a "permanent" feature in the KL-TN border part. During rains, there are frequent falling of trees which can lead to sudden dislocation, so be prepared for such minor hiccups. If it is raining heavily, maybe the prudent thing to do would be to avoid the road.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:10   #5399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
-wadakancheri-thrissur-nh47-edappally-alleppey.
I don't see myself driving this stretch any time soon. For knowledge sake, I would like to know if there is another approach to Cochin that can completely avoid the quoted stretch. Like a back entry via state highways of Tamil Nadu and Kerala. I would surely like to keep distance around the same.

The first time I tried out the quoted route (Perundurai turn off and so on) was during last Christmas and I understand the additional traffic that is to be expected during the season. The drive was so enjoyable up to Wadakancheri. Beyond this was not. The most annoying stretch being the toll section between Trichur - Edapally. Wadakancheri - Trichur is actually quite a busy stretch of road as it serves north Kerala too. I lost a lot of time here. Too much traffic and this stretch has become super busy after 4 lane work completed. Let us not forget the crazy amount of intersections and signals on what is supposed to be a fast stretch of road. Any takes like an entry from Munnar side or further south of Cochin?
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:21   #5400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I would like to know if there is another approach to Cochin that can completely avoid the quoted stretch.
Where are you coming from? From bangalore, you can take the wayanad-kozhikode-nh17-edapally.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks