Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2013, 06:28   #5506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2 JANZ View Post
Hellons,

Anybody traveled through valparai - Athirappally route recently? Heard the road was closed due to land slide. Is it open now and how is the road condition?

Thanks in Adv.
Light vehicles are allowed now a days.buses and heavy vehicles were not allowed till last week.Roads are quite bad is what a friend of mine advised who went there last week.Pollachi Valparai does not have much problems.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 10:25   #5507
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by wins2807 View Post
Hi guys,

Are the roads to munnar,thekkady and allepey still bad.My route for the weekend road trip goes like this http://goo.gl/maps/c8w9T.

Thanks/Vinay
Please refer http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3206132 for road update on Thekkedy route. Bad stretches are there but nothing to be worried like NH47 in Kuthiran
Old 14th August 2013, 16:27   #5508
Senior - BHPian

Are there any good places for breakfast in Sathyamangalam, clean washrooms are more important than food

I have heard good about Chamrajnagar : Nijaguna Residency, but it may be only 7ish when I hit there and can be little too early for the place to be operational..
Old 15th August 2013, 21:41   #5509
Senior - BHPian

If posted in some other thread, kindly excuse.

Quote:
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) on Tuesday approved four-lane expressway road work on the Kerala Border-Kollegal section of National Highway-212 in Karnataka.

It was approved under the National Highways Development Project (NHDP) Phase-IV on Design, Build, Finance, Operate and Transfer (BOT/DBFOT) basis in Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) mode of delivery. The cost of the road widening project is estimated at `588.49 crore, including `65 crore towards land acquisition, resettlement and rehabilitation.

The total length of the road will be approximately 150 km. The project will reduce the time and cost of travel between Kozhikode and Kollegal. The National Highway-212 connects Kozhikode in Kerala to Kollegal in Karnataka and passes via major towns of Gundlupet, Nanjangud, Mysore and T-Narsipur in Karnataka.

http://newindianexpress.com/nation/R...cle1733769.ece
Old 16th August 2013, 06:56   #5510

Travelled yesterday from Bangalore to Munnar. Route taken was Bangalore-Dindugal-theni-bodi-munnar. Good roads all through.will take the other road through peeundurai and update the road condition.
Old 16th August 2013, 08:18   #5511
Senior - BHPian

update from today - alleppey's king size crater remains the same. looks like they have cleaned the road for tarring. few potholes in kollam closed. NH in trivandrum was getting tarred today morning.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 08:28   #5512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
update from today - alleppey's king size crater remains the same. looks like they have cleaned the road for tarring. few potholes in kollam closed. NH in trivandrum was getting tarred today morning.
Thank you Govind , I am travelling this week end.

BTW , is the railway station road " Aleppey clear now ? It was a very good road before and a time saver for long route commuters to avoid the traffic in Aleppy city. but the KWA(Kerala Water Authority) works made it pathetic.
foby.sebastian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 08:33   #5513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post

Thank you Govind , I am travelling this week end.

BTW , is the railway station road " Aleppey clear now ? It was a very good road before and a time saver for long route commuters to avoid the traffic in Aleppy city. but the KWA(Kerala Water Authority) works made it pathetic.
No it still remains horrible and pathetic. Only two wheelers and a few motorists going to the station is seen using that road.
Old 16th August 2013, 09:40   #5514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
No it still remains horrible and pathetic. Only two wheelers and a few motorists going to the station is seen using that road.
Any other short cuts you use to tackle the Aleppy city Traffic ?
foby.sebastian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 10:23   #5515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Any other short cuts you use to tackle the Aleppy city Traffic ?
Foby, take the railway station left from NH ans keep going straight at the first intersection. You will be running parallel to the NH and the old shortcut. This road is narrower but much better in traffic. Take left once you hit the temple thus joining NH. If you are traveling at night keep traveling straight until the last bridge and left from just before that bridge, onto the KSRTC road. The left from KSRTC is what i took today. The NH is in shambles inside allapuzha, it is roller coaster ride.

PS: The roads starts deteriorating 5kms before ambalapuzha when traveling from trivandrum towards trichur.
Old 16th August 2013, 11:32   #5516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
If posted in some other thread, kindly excuse.

http://newindianexpress.com/nation/R...cle1733769.ece
I'm not sure what they plan to achieve here. I mean, the KL/KA border-Gundlupet-Nanjangud-Mysore stretch improvement is certainly welcome, but beyond that (Mysore-T Narsipura-Kollegal)? I suppose central funds cannot be used for state roads so they ruled all other options out.
Old 16th August 2013, 11:53   #5517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I'm not sure what they plan to achieve here. I mean, the KL/KA border-Gundlupet-Nanjangud-Mysore stretch improvement is certainly welcome, but beyond that (Mysore-T Narsipura-Kollegal)? I suppose central funds cannot be used for state roads so they ruled all other options out.
The NH-212 (now NH766) is from Kozhikode to Kollegal, via Gundlupet, Nanjangud, Mysore, T Narsipura. Therefore, its perfectly correct to utilize NHAI funds to repair/improve the current NH212. Between Kollegal and Bangalore is part of another highway (NH209) - which is also tendered for improvements.
Old 16th August 2013, 12:31   #5518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
The NH-212 (now NH766) is from Kozhikode to Kollegal, via Gundlupet, Nanjangud, Mysore, T Narsipura. Therefore, its perfectly correct to utilize NHAI funds to repair/improve the current NH212. Between Kollegal and Bangalore is part of another highway (NH209) - which is also tendered for improvements.
I know all that. My question was specifically whether traffic volumes require four-laning the Mysore-Kollegal stretch of NH 212; mightn't it be better to utilize that money (plus a lot more) to either build an NH between Bangalore-Mysore (heh!), or four-lane NH 209 from Bangalore to Chamarajanagar instead?

I am not contesting the plan to widen the Mysore-Gundlupet-Moolehole stretch of NH 212.
Old 16th August 2013, 12:34   #5519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know all that. My question was specifically whether traffic volumes require four-laning the Mysore-Kollegal stretch of NH 212; mightn't it be better to utilize that money (plus a lot more) to either build an NH between Bangalore-Mysore (heh!), or four-lane NH 209 from Bangalore to Chamarajanagar instead?

I am not contesting the plan to widen the Mysore-Gundlupet-Moolehole stretch of NH 212.
Its not a question of traffic warranting a 4 laning anymore.Its the SC order that all National Highways have to be minimum 4 lanes(2 lanes one direction).And as per that all the NHs are being upgraded.State Highways have to be a minimum 1.5 laned one direction afaik as per the ruling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
The Bangalore-Mysore highway is a State-highway - there is a hearsay that the state government is planning to widen that road further. Widening the Mysore-Kollegal stretch might actually help to reduce a bit of Mysore-Bangalore highway as well - people might prefer avoiding Mysore directly. The last time I took a bus from Coimbatore to Mysore (Airavat), that bus had turned off at Chamrajnagar and took the route via T.Narsipura to come into Mysore avoiding the high traffic stretch through Nanjangud.

I understand your logic, but I think the government has a different one.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 16th August 2013 at 12:40.
Old 16th August 2013, 12:35   #5520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Bangalore-Mysore highway is a State-highway - there is a hearsay that the state government is planning to widen that road further. Widening the Mysore-Kollegal stretch might actually help to reduce a bit of Mysore-Bangalore highway as well - people might prefer avoiding Mysore directly. The last time I took a bus from Coimbatore to Mysore (Airavat), that bus had turned off at Chamrajnagar and took the route via T.Narsipura to come into Mysore avoiding the high traffic stretch through Nanjangud.

I understand your logic, but I think the government has a different one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks