Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2009, 10:03   #541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
I would also have loved to start at the same time but due to some reasons i cant this time other wise i usually drive over night to trivandrum , 1800 hrs start from Silkboard and in TVM before 0530 Hrs thats my usual run , but i havent done that for quite sometime now ..... and i am unsure about the road conditions between Salem and coimbatore.
If you are driving in the night, be very careful with Salem-Coimbatore stretch.
There are too many diversions across median and deadly potholes allover, which are not easily visible in the night. Another pain will be the level difference where the newly paved road ends. They are dangerous than humps.

Before you get in to Salem-Coimbatore stretch, take a good break at Adayar-AnandBhavan (on the right side of the BLR-SALEM highway, soon after Dharmapuri).
Old 6th February 2009, 22:16   #542
Senior - BHPian

This sunday I am driving to cochin to attend a function. I have done Bangalore Cochin via Salem Palghat many times. Just thought I'd drive through Wayanad, and take Nh17 to Cochin. Plan to start around 5am in the morning, do a leisurely drive and reach cochin by sunset.

Could you guys tell me the best roads, conditions and any sight seeing.

plan is Blr - wayanad - cochin.
Old 9th February 2009, 12:25   #543
Senior - BHPian

i just returned from a Tirvandrum trip

My onward journey was to Trivandrum , i did this Via the Salem . Th updates there are Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Trivandrum roads
Krishnagiri- Salem -> 98% complete and just toooo goood roads.
Salem - Coimbature Bypass -> 70% roads complete , best done by day, lots of hevy vehicles driven by maniacs.
Coimbatore -> Cochin good roads but lots potholes which hit you un expectedly
Cochin -> Alapuzha - Precuatbly good roads
Alapuzha -> Kollam - Horrible the worst in the entire strech no road only a collection of tar patch works.
Kollam -> Trivandrum Predictably good condition ( 80 kms in 45 Mins)

Start from Bangalore at 1330 Hrs reached Trivandrum at 0200 hrs including lunch break , dinner break and numerous tea coffee break.
Old 12th February 2009, 03:08   #544

Hi ,

We are planning for a Madras (Kolathur) - Cochin - Thiruvalla Trip by March 1st week. Last year I took Kolathur-Koyambedu Signal-Poonamalee - GQ till Krishnagiri - Mecheri-Mettur-Bhavani-CBE-Walayar-Cochin- Thiruvalla route. The roads were good except bad stretches between Walayar-Angamaly.

Is it still better compared to the Attur-Salem route? I drive a 05 Zen.
Old 12th February 2009, 09:34   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_mill View Post
Hi ,

We are planning for a Madras (Kolathur) - Cochin - Thiruvalla Trip by March 1st week. Last year I took Kolathur-Koyambedu Signal-Poonamalee - GQ till Krishnagiri - Mecheri-Mettur-Bhavani-CBE-Walayar-Cochin- Thiruvalla route. The roads were good except bad stretches between Walayar-Angamaly.

Is it still better compared to the Attur-Salem route? I drive a 05 Zen.

Why don't you take the Chennai > Trichy > Didigul> Theni> Cumbum> Kumily> Ranni> Tiruvalla route? Absolutely brilliant roads and an amazing drive!
Old 12th February 2009, 21:49   #546

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Why don't you take the Chennai > Trichy > Didigul> Theni> Cumbum> Kumily> Ranni> Tiruvalla route? Absolutely brilliant roads and an amazing drive!
Please provide directions for Kumily - Ranni . I have taken Changanasseri-Mundakayam-Kumily route once. Is it the same route?
Old 12th February 2009, 22:40   #547
Senior - BHPian

I have attached a file which has the details of the Madras-Dindigul-Kumili-Kanjirapalli route, which you can take to go to Ranni. You can turn off at Kanjirapalli to get to Ranni. In case Tiruvalla is your destination, you can go on from Kanjirapalli via Ponkunnam to Changanaserry and reach Tiruvalla.

This route is recommended any day! All in a long day's work provided you leave early in the morning from Madras.
Attached Files
File Type: xls RajeshKumarakom.xls (18.0 KB, 328 views)
Old 12th February 2009, 22:41   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_mill View Post
Please provide directions for Kumily - Ranni . I have taken Changanasseri-Mundakayam-Kumily route once. Is it the same route?
Yes, it is the same route:
Madras-Villupuram-Trichy-Dindigul-Periakulam-Theni-Kumbum-Kumili-Vandiperiyar-Peeeremede-Mundakayam-Kanjirapalli
Old 13th February 2009, 13:01   #549
BHPian

Hotel in palakkad

I am planning to drive back to bangalore from kottayam.
Can any one suggest a good hotel in palakkad for overnight stay. Budget would be 500-1000 Rs
Old 13th February 2009, 13:30   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
I am planning to drive back to bangalore from kottayam.
Can any one suggest a good hotel in palakkad for overnight stay. Budget would be 500-1000 Rs
Hotel Indraprastha
Hotel Indraprastha, Palakkad.

You do not have to go too deep into town, just go in from the Coimbatore end of the bypass.
Old 13th February 2009, 14:00   #551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Hotel Indraprastha
Hotel Indraprastha, Palakkad.

You do not have to go too deep into town, just go in from the Coimbatore end of the bypass.
If you don't want to stray away from NH 47, you could try these hotels on NH47 itself.
Hotel Srichakra:- Srichakra International,Hotel Srichakra International Palakkad, Kerala India Srichakra International, Srichakra International Resort

Walayar Motels:- Walayar Motels,Walayar Motels Palakkad,Walayar Motels Kerala India,Walayar Motels Palakkad Kerala,Booking at Walayar Motels

Hotel Chanakya:-

I haven't stayed in any of these places.

-- Torqy
Old 13th February 2009, 21:33   #552

HVK & KB - Thank you very much. Let me try it out.
Old 15th February 2009, 23:40   #553
BANNED

For those of you who take NH7 from Bangalore towards Dharmapuri:

Roadwork happening on the left lane on the 1st flyover (after the toll plaza towards Krishnagiri) at Krishnagiri - keep right on this flyover.

New pothole on Sulagiri bypass on the LHS lane - nothing to worry about in an SUV, but please be careful in a car.
Old 18th February 2009, 13:49   #554
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Coimbatore to Alleppey, yesterday (17/02/2009).

Very decent roads throughout. Slight hazzle in going to either side diversions in the 4 laning happening between Thrissur and Angamaly.
Old 18th February 2009, 14:44   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
This sunday I am driving to cochin to attend a function. I have done Bangalore Cochin via Salem Palghat many times. Just thought I'd drive through Wayanad, and take Nh17 to Cochin. Plan to start around 5am in the morning, do a leisurely drive and reach cochin by sunset.

Could you guys tell me the best roads, conditions and any sight seeing.

plan is Blr - wayanad - cochin.
How is the road condition now?. I am planning to drive from Kochi to Bangalore this sunday.

BTW which road did you take?. Was it throught Nilambur? Can you please note down the exact route that you took and the time for the trip.

Thanx.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks