Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2013, 09:23   #5551
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramases6 View Post
High Court rulings on freezing funds, articles in newspapers,reports from users,ultimatum from transport operators! Is it just being thick skinned or is there more to the roads in Kerala crumbling during the monsoon. It is after all the most literate state in our country, is it not?
Kerala's main problem is its politicians. Compared to the rest of the lot, they are less of go-getters and less corrupt. These two together means that their influence in Delhi is minimal - near zero, compared to the kind of influence that say, a TN has out there. So, centrally managed infrastructure projects meant for Kerala do not get any attention or funds - be it Railways (isn't it close to 25 years since they started doubling the SRR-MAQ railway line?), MoRTH (NH 47. 'nuff said.), Ministry of Shipping (Vizhinjam/Vallarpadam imbroglio) and so on.

Couple this with high population density (less land available) and an educated and aware populace - we can see why infrastructure development in Kerala is at a standstill.

Oscar Fernandes had come to Kerala a few weeks back and had made some encouraging noises, but as far as I know nothing has come out of it.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 09:35   #5552
BHPian

That was an insightful post. Real politics at work. And so different from the distorted view that its trade unionism that is somehow responsible for all the ills plaguing the state. Feel bright every time I see the lush green colors of Kerala and was a bit disappointed that I would be spending more time worrying about road conditions. Am sure that the landscape would lift my spirits again. However,, as a precaution, I have postponed my trip to the second week of September
Old 20th August 2013, 10:15   #5553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
Girish,

As NPV says, take a stress-free visit to the temple by hiring an auto, or even take a cool walk, i would suggest

As you are planning to reach Madurai by 2pm, you can get some hotel even inside Madurai. There are many convenient hotels opp to Madurai Railway junction. Travellers Bunglow is there behind the Rly junction but i am not sure of the standards. There is one 3 star hotel called Germanus on the by pass road which again is en-route Bangalore. All these hotels do have ample parking spaces ofcourse.

Metropole is good but it is entirely on the other side of Madurai and it doesn't fall on the TVM-MDU-Blore route. It is almost on NH45, and it is best suited only for those heading towards Trichy or Chennai the next morning. IMHO.

Thanks.
Thanks Ddrive, MPV, Ranjitp. Will update after the visit.
Old 20th August 2013, 11:13   #5554
BHPian

I had been to Kerala (Pathanamthitta to be precise) and back last week and am updating the route condition below.
I started from Bangalore on 14th August around 14:30 and drove down to Madurai, where I stayed for the night. Next day morning, I took the Thenkasi-Punalur route to reach Pathanamthitta. The road conditions till the foot of the hills are good and after that, it's horrible and near the Kerala border, it's just horrendous. The roads from Aryankavu till Punalur is also in pathetic condition. If you drive a small car, you need to be very careful as there are big stones filled in the crater sized potholes. Roads after Punalur are in much better condition, with occasional potholes, which are quite manageable.
While coming back, I took the Kumily-Cumbum-Theni route and surprisingly, even after the rains, this route is not much affected. Apart from the anticipated potholes, it's pretty much in good shape. There are some bad stretches near to Kumily, but nothing like what you will find on the Punalur route.
Kerala politicians seem to have immersed themselves in Saritha, solar, and mud slinging at each other; caring nothing about the common man
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 16:05   #5555
Senior - BHPian

Guys
am planning to drive down from Chennai to Palakkad day after tomorow. Is the usual route of taking the L&T bypass at Coimbatore and proceeding to Palakkad better or should I take the Kangeyam - Palladam-Pollachi - Palakkad route ?
Old 20th August 2013, 17:01   #5556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys
am planning to drive down from Chennai to Palakkad day after tomorow. Is the usual route of taking the L&T bypass at Coimbatore and proceeding to Palakkad better or should I take the Kangeyam - Palladam-Pollachi - Palakkad route ?
Use Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Palakkad route. You can avoid the many deviations between Avinashi and Neelambur and also the rough speedbreakers on the flyover tops. Walayar is in one of the worst states imaginable. Adding to the woes is the patch-work going on in the stretch between Chandranagar and Walayar. The surface is totally uneven.

EDIT:
In case you are driving to Chittur, I would recommend taking the Pollachi-Palakkad road and then turning off to Chittur after Gopalapuram. The Pollachi-Chittur road is not so great on the TN side

Last edited by silversteed : 20th August 2013 at 17:03.
Old 20th August 2013, 18:10   #5557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Use Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Palakkad route. You can avoid the many deviations between Avinashi and Neelambur and also the rough speedbreakers on the flyover tops. Walayar is in one of the worst states imaginable. Adding to the woes is the patch-work going on in the stretch between Chandranagar and Walayar. The surface is totally uneven.

EDIT:
In case you are driving to Chittur, I would recommend taking the Pollachi-Palakkad road and then turning off to Chittur after Gopalapuram. The Pollachi-Chittur road is not so great on the TN side
thanks SS. I am going to Palakkad town. So will take the Kangeyam route. only thing is that i need to watch out for the deviation from the NH47. once i had missed this .
Old 20th August 2013, 21:09   #5558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

thanks SS. I am going to Palakkad town. So will take the Kangeyam route. only thing is that i need to watch out for the deviation from the NH47. once i had missed this .
The left turn off to Kangeyam from the NH-47 is some 50km after passing the NHAI Amenity Complex (that houses the Sree Saravana Bhavan hotel) at Vaikundam.
Old 21st August 2013, 18:15   #5559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You have option of taking turn at Avinashi and head straight to Palladam if you miss Perundurai - Kangeyam turn
Old 21st August 2013, 18:56   #5560
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The best part is there is signboard for Perundurai about 2km before the exit.
You should be able to spot it. Take the first exit. Get into the town and ask for Kangeyam road. Its pretty easy to get on to it.
Old 21st August 2013, 21:20   #5561
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The best part is there is signboard for Perundurai about 2km before the exit.
You should be able to spot it. Take the first exit. Get into the town and ask for Kangeyam road. Its pretty easy to get on to it.
If you've see Hotel Annalakshmi to your left, you've missed the first left turn but you can take the road beside Annalakshmi or even the next left (I think it's marked for Erode), all go into Perundurai town so no need to worry, you can still join the Kangeyam Road from the town.

For the turn off's to Palladam and Pollachi, you can refer this post
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:35   #5562
Senior - BHPian

This could be of interest:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle5045824.ece
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:44   #5563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Unfortunately, this enforces my belief that the MVD considers these cameras as cash generators and not as technology to enforce road rules. Take the present example - the bus traveled about 100 km at speeds that exceeded the prescribed limits. It must have taken at least an hour for the bus to do so. Why didn't they notify any of the police stations along the route to intercept the bus, which was being driven dangerously? That would have been a preventive measure against a fatal accident, not a cash fine imposed after the violation.
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:53   #5564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Unfortunately, this enforces my belief that the MVD considers these cameras as cash generators and not as technology to enforce road rules...
Is the BTP or CCTP any different?

Motorists and cops consider these speed cameras as deterrents. Akin to the adage 'Spare the rod and spoil the child'. The system is yet to be viewed as a means to improve safety
Old 22nd August 2013, 19:48   #5565
Senior - BHPian

Did Chennai Palakkad today. Took 9hrs. Route taken was Chennai - Villupuram - Uludurpettai - Salem - Perundurai -Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Palakkad. Perundurai - Palakkad stretch is good in terms of road surface. Its a 2 lane road without median so speeds were mostly 70-90kmph.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks