Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2013, 20:05   #5566
Team-BHP Support

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Did Chennai Palakkad today. Took 9hrs. Route taken was Chennai - Villupuram - Uludurpettai - Salem - Perundurai -Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Palakkad. Perundurai - Palakkad stretch is good in terms of road surface. Its a 2 lane road without median so speeds were mostly 70-90kmph.
Thats the best stress free option to cross into Kerala, without the traffic of Coimbattore and Walayar. Only trouble is to cross Pollachi. But I think its much easier problem to solve.
Hope you stirred up a Storm(e) !
Old 22nd August 2013, 20:54   #5567
BHPian

We, 5 childhood friends are planning a trip to allepey/kumarakom . Fellow BHPian Mister_M is also a part of our pack.
Start Date: 13th Sep, Return Date: 16th Sep.
We are travelling from Salem and still considering which route to take.
Route 1: Salem – Coimbatore – Palakkad – Thrissur – Kumarakom.
Route 2: Salem – Dindigul – Theni – Cumbum – Kumily – Kottayam – Kumarakom.
Which will be the best route for entering into Kerala and update about road conditions. We are staying in boat house for a night, other than that what are the places to hang around allepey/kumarakom.
Old 22nd August 2013, 21:55   #5568
BHPian

Friends We are planning to visit Rameshwaram from kochi. The route we are taking is kochi changannashery chengannur mavelikara adoor punalur , tenkasi thirunelveli. Take a break in tirunelveli then proceed to Rameshwaram . The return route we thought of taking ramanathapuram. , manamadurai , Madurai , usilampatti , aandipatti , theni , devikulam , kothamangalam , muvatupuzha kochi.. How is this route ? How are the roads ? Any other better route ?
Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd August 2013, 21:57   #5569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Volkmann View Post
We, 5 childhood friends are planning a trip to allepey/kumarakom . Fellow BHPian Mister_M is also a part of our pack.
Which will be the best route for entering into Kerala and update about road conditions. We are staying in boat house for a night, other than that what are the places to hang around allepey/kumarakom.
Forget about Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur stretch. It's in shambles. The alternative route is Salem-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Chelakkara-Wadakkancherry-Thrissur.

Since your destination is Kottayam, Route 2 is a better option.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 22:31   #5570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Volkmann View Post
Which will be the best route for entering into Kerala and update about road conditions.
I just did a bangalore to kottayam (and return) trip last week through kumily. Roads are good on the TN side. Some rough patches from kumily to mundakayam but nothing much to worry about. Took me 10 hours for the journey
aajohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 07:02   #5571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats the best stress free option to cross into Kerala, without the traffic of Coimbattore and Walayar. Only trouble is to cross Pollachi. But I think its much easier problem to solve.
Hope you stirred up a Storm(e) !
True. How I wish this stretch was 4 lane
For my return trip I would have to go to Coimbatore. What route is advisable for Palakkad- Cbe and then Cbe - Chennai in case Walayar is to be avoided

Thanks in advance

P.S. Storme did extremely well. 15+ FE was a added bonus !
narayan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 09:19   #5572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
Friends We are planning to visit Rameshwaram from kochi. The route we are taking is kochi changannashery chengannur mavelikara adoor punalur , tenkasi thirunelveli. Take a break in tirunelveli then proceed to Rameshwaram . The return route we thought of taking ramanathapuram. , manamadurai , Madurai , usilampatti , aandipatti , theni , devikulam , kothamangalam , muvatupuzha kochi.. How is this route ? How are the roads ? Any other better route ?
Thanks in advance.
regarding return route, the route option is from entering eastern side towards Kochi:
Theni-Bodimettu-Puppara-Rajakkad-Adimali-Kothamangalam-Perumbavur-Ernakulam.
No update available about roads in highranges. however, I heard Thodupuzha-Idukki-Kattappana bus services are now suspended and goes only till Painavu - where a Landslide happened near the Idukki collectorate. however, the Kothamangalam-Bodimettu route through Adimali,Rajakkad may not have been affected.

Perumbavoor-Ernakulam via Aluva, the KSRTC route although wider roads has tarring surface gone in some places IIRC near Marampally etc. alternate routes are not even worth mentioning(via Pukkattupady! horrible conditions now. passed two weeks back through that route). the best option is to take Perumbavur-Vazhakkulam-Aluva road(Private Bus route).

if your destination is south of Palarivattom or to Vyttila,Kadavanthra,South,Fort-Kochi or towards Cherthala route, take Adimali-Kothamangalam-Muvattupuzha-Vyttila route.

there is an alternate route through Vannappuram route.
the route is: Bodimettu-Puppara-Rajakkad-Vellathooval-Kanjikuzhy-Vannappuram-Pothanicaud-Muvattupuzha-Vyttila-Ernakulam - this route also is narrow albeit passes not through forest areas. road condition last I heard was not good although motorable.

Last edited by deepclutch : 23rd August 2013 at 09:20.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 10:24   #5573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True. How I wish this stretch was 4 lane
For my return trip I would have to go to Coimbatore. What route is advisable for Palakkad- Cbe and then Cbe - Chennai in case Walayar is to be avoided
Palakkad - Chandranagar - Koottupatha - Elappully - Athicode - Velanthavalam - Chavadi - CBE

http://goo.gl/maps/cdHzc

Excellent 2-laned SH till Athicode. The road till Chavadi is also in decent shape. Chavadi - Madukkarai is a bit rough. Haven't entered CBE city of late, hence I can't comment on the road into the city. But the L&T bypass road is good all along towards Neelambur. The opposite lane has some undulations at places.

Last edited by silversteed : 23rd August 2013 at 10:28.
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:12   #5574
BHPian

Sorry for the repeating my question. My question was answered but the last few posts have confused me.

I will be driving from Kochi to Madurai (Low GC car). Can someone help me with the exact route? Should I take

Option 1: Kochi - Kottayam - Kanjirapally - Azhutha - Kumily - Cumbum - Theni - Madurai
Option 2: Kochi - Muvattupuzha - Thodupuzha - Erattupetta - Kanjirapally - Azhutha - Kumily - Cumbum - Theni - Madurai

Or is there another option?

Thanks in advance
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:42   #5575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The road till Chavadi is also in decent shape. Chavadi - Madukkarai is a bit rough. Haven't entered CBE city of late, hence I can't comment on the road into the city.
Last month, local dailies were highlighting about the bad road conditions due to relaying work between Velanthavalam and KG Chavadi. Not sure about the present condition.

The alternate detour is also decent, but need to pass through couple of villages. http://goo.gl/maps/VoRa2

L&T bypass/Madukkarai to Ukkadam road is in good shape.

Quote:
What route is advisable for Palakkad- Cbe
Narayan, expect good traffic between Kuniamuthur and City, especially Athupalam toll plaza to Ukkadam. Don’t cross 50 kmph once you cross police outpost, 2kms after Madukkarai. Surprise speed checks are being done during day time.
Old 23rd August 2013, 14:12   #5576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun.K View Post
Last month, local dailies were highlighting about the bad road conditions due to relaying work between Velanthavalam and KG Chavadi. Not sure about the present condition.
I suggested the Velanthavalam route based on yesterday's status

Quote:
Don’t cross 50 kmph once you cross police outpost, 2kms after Madukkarai. Surprise speed checks are being done during day time.
50kmph!!! Another awesome myopic idea to avoid accidents, instead of booking the motorists (most of them 2-wheeler riders and ricks) who ride/drive on the wrong side, take abrupt U-turns in the middle of the road and what not.
Old 23rd August 2013, 15:17   #5577
BHPian

Quote:
silversteed, was the entire stretch between Velanthavalam and KG Chavadi been fully relaid?
Old 23rd August 2013, 15:25   #5578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun.K View Post
silversteed, was the entire stretch between Velanthavalam and KG Chavadi been fully relaid?
Yes. Except for a short stretch before Menonpara, where a bridge is being relaid.

EDIT:
narayan, Walayar is a free OTR trail to test out articulation and ADRs. I strongly recommend avoiding it

Last edited by silversteed : 23rd August 2013 at 15:30.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 16:20   #5579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet View Post
Sorry for the repeating my question. My question was answered but the last few posts have confused me.

I will be driving from Kochi to Madurai (Low GC car). Can someone help me with the exact route? Should I take

Option 1: Kochi - Kottayam - Kanjirapally - Azhutha - Kumily - Cumbum - Theni - Madurai
Option 2: Kochi - Muvattupuzha - Thodupuzha - Erattupetta - Kanjirapally - Azhutha - Kumily - Cumbum - Theni - Madurai

Or is there another option?

Thanks in advance
better option is to take Kochi-Muvattupuzha-Thodupuzha-Muttom-Erattupetta-Kumily-Lower camp-palaym-cumbum-theni-Madurai

straight route is through Kothamangalam-Adimaly-Rajakkad-Puppara-Theni which is less by some 60kms.

but, as you say low gc car and unpredictable road conditions, it is better to take Kumily-Madurai route.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 06:34   #5580
BHPian

Quote:

50kmph!!! Another awesome myopic idea to avoid accidents, instead of booking the motorists (most of them 2-wheeler riders and ricks) who ride/drive on the wrong side, take abrupt U-turns in the middle of the road and what not.
Yes. Minority rules in India. I mean two wheelers and autos belong to weaker sections of vehicle society and hence this imperial treatment. You got to be in chennai to really understand the greater heights of these traffic woes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks