Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2013, 15:30   #5656
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Its good to know that the Thrissur - Palakkad NH47 is being repaired. Did you do the drive in a sedan/hatchback or an SUV? Also, by manageable, do you mean the roads are patched or that there are pot holes which need to be drive around? The Palakkad - Walayar stretch has been patched and is drivable now. Its the Walayar - Coimbatore (L&T Start) thats still a problem. Asking all these cause I will be doing Bangalore - Alleppey over the weekend.
imho,its a bad idea and sheer waste of time trying to do all these permutations and combinations of potholes,patches etc.the road is still bumpy.i would still take the old and trusted route of avinashi-palladam-pollachi-kollengode-alathur-wadakancheri-thrissur-alleppey.
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 22:34   #5657
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
i would still take the old and trusted route of avinashi-palladam-pollachi-kollengode-alathur-wadakancheri-thrissur-alleppey.
With the Avinashi bypass ready now (remember reading this somewhere, hope I understood correctly ) for Bangalore-Palakkad we now have both options - Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam as well as Avinashi-Palladam - But how are the road conditions on Avinashi-Palladam stretch ?
Interestingly, per gmaps distance for both routes from Bangalore to Palladam is same (348km)

Last edited by NPV : 11th September 2013 at 22:37.
Old 11th September 2013, 23:19   #5658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
With the Avinashi bypass ready now (remember reading this somewhere, hope I understood correctly ) for Bangalore-Palakkad we now have both options - Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam as well as Avinashi-Palladam - But how are the road conditions on Avinashi-Palladam stretch ?
Interestingly, per gmaps distance for both routes from Bangalore to Palladam is same (348km)
The Avinashi bypass may be ready, but what about the other diversions?
Per the latest updates, Madukkarai-Walayar-Chandranagar stretch is still rough, though it's been patched up.

Last edited by silversteed : 11th September 2013 at 23:23.
Old 11th September 2013, 23:29   #5659
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Per the latest updates, Madukkarai-Walayar-Chandranagar stretch is still rough, though it's been patched up.
I think NPV is referring to taking the Palladam road from Avinashi bypass and not going further. The point he puts forward is, since this bypass is ready one can take the 4-lane till Avinashi and divert to Palladam from here instead of exiting at Perundurai and coming via Kangeyam.

Last edited by ampere : 11th September 2013 at 23:57.
Old 11th September 2013, 23:45   #5660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think NPS is referring to taking the Palladam road from Avinashi bypass and not going further. The point he puts forward is, since this bypass is ready one can take the 4-lane till Avinashi and divert to Palladam from here instead of exiting at Perundurai and coming via Kangeyam.
Ah! That's a point. The unfinished bypass work had been a good enough reason for me to stick to the Kangeyam-Palladam route for quite some time. Might try this route next time
Old 11th September 2013, 23:59   #5661
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ah! That's a point. The unfinished bypass work had been a good enough reason for me to stick to the Kangeyam-Palladam route for quite some time. Might try this route next time
But do note even I dont know what is the status of Avinashi-Palladam road.
Do let us know too !
Old 12th September 2013, 02:08   #5662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Quote:

But do note even I dont know what is the status of Avinashi-Palladam road.
Do let us know too !
Avinashi palladam is in good shape and is a faster option as one can now drive on the 4lane till avinashi bypass.
Old 12th September 2013, 07:44   #5663
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I think NPV is referring to taking the Palladam road from Avinashi bypass and not going further. The point he puts forward is, since this bypass is ready one can take the 4-lane till Avinashi and divert to Palladam from here instead of exiting at Perundurai and coming via Kangeyam.
Yes, Amp is right - I meant folks traveling from Bangalore to Palakkad can take either the Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam or Avinashi-Palladam routes (thereby avoiding Madukkarai-Walayar plus other diversions between Avinashi-L&T bypass as well).

Quote:
Avinashi palladam is in good shape and is a faster option as one can now drive on the 4lane till avinashi bypass.
Thanks ranjit! Given this, one could take the 4 lane road from Bangalore upto Avinashi and then turn off towards Palladam and continue to Pollachi-Gopalapuram-Palakkad.
Or even Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Chelakkara if going to Trichur and beyond

Last edited by NPV : 12th September 2013 at 07:46.
Old 12th September 2013, 08:20   #5664
Team-BHP Support

I didn't read this thread, and ended up traveling palakkad - thrissur National shameway last weekend.

There is absolutely no tar for majority of the sections. Covered most of it in first or second gear only. A horrible experience!

Took Wadakkanchery- Pazhayannur- Lakkidi- Palakkad route while returning.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 08:49   #5665
Senior - BHPian

Crossed Walayar todat at 2am through thick lorry traffic but thankfully no blocks.

Ended up trying NH47 itself which is in horrible condition except for Kuthiran. Don't take this road for Onam holidays.
coolclouds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 11:48   #5666
BHPian

Quote:

5am dep
7am:angamaly
8am:thrissur
830:wadakancheri
930:alathur
1000:kollengode
1045-11:Pollachi
1300:Karumathampatti
1430-1500:Mettupalayam
1600:Coonoor

Hi Ranjitp

he has decided to take this route based on your's and ampere's feedback

a few questions

1) after pollachi does he need to go till palladam or take a left at kamanaikepalayam to go towards karumathampatti and then annur. if yes, is there any landmark which one can reference to know where to take the left from and how is the road

2) how will be the traffic in pollachi. does one have to go thru the city or is there some bypass to avoid the city

3) is there any other place enroute where there is chance of taking the wrong route so that i can ask him to be aware and be on the watchout

4) any thing else to be aware of, any tips
Old 12th September 2013, 12:44   #5667
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
1) after pollachi does he need to go till palladam or take a left at kamanaikepalayam to go towards karumathampatti and then annur. if yes, is there any landmark which one can reference to know where to take the left from and how is the road
Check with Kala. I think he has taken that route bypass Palladam. Not aware of any landmarks. GPS should be the best bet.

Pollachi I think is a land of one ways! You will definitely need to ask people to hit Palladam road. Please ask him to keep Google maps on. That would surely help.
Old 12th September 2013, 14:44   #5668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
Quote:
Check with Kala. I think he has taken that route bypass Palladam. Not aware of any landmarks. GPS should be the best bet.
No I've never taken the Pollachi route when coming via Karumathampatti. The only time I went on the Karumathampatti-Somanur-Kamanaikenpalayam SH was when I was travelling to Munnar and I turned off at Karanampettai towards Palladam (since I had to go towards Udumalpettai and not Pollachi). So no idea about the condition of the road between Karanampettai and Kamanaikenpalayam nor about landmarks at the latter junction.
Old 14th September 2013, 18:21   #5669
BHPian

Avoid the Toll on Thrissur-Cochin National Highway, Save Rs.50/-

All Roads to Kerala-1235405_651096688241499_690643877_n.jpg

While traveling from Thrissur to Cochin, take a right turn at Talore Junction. Travel via Eravakkadu to hit the NH between toll booth & Amballur junction. Here you need to take a U-Turn and continue your trip. This bypass is 4.5KM whereas by NH is 2.1. But you save Rs.50/-. A word of caution though, the panchayat road is not in a very good condition.

Disclaimer: Facebook Post. I have not tested this route. Someone can try this and post a feedback on this.
Old 14th September 2013, 19:38   #5670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
This bypass is 4.5KM whereas by NH is 2.1. But you save Rs.50/-. A word of caution though, the panchayat road is not in a very good condition.
I think instead of saving Rs.50/- toll, we will spend more on fuel and time..!!!

Most Viewed