Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2013, 11:04   #5686
Team-BHP Support

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Can anyone suggest the best route to reach OMR Chennai (Navalur) from kothamangalam (KL) ? Do I have to go through the NH47 option or does it make sense to take the munnar/udumalapet or bodi - dindigual route ? Which one has better road conditions ? This is for my return trip tomorow.
Makes sense to take the Munnar route, bot NOT via Munnar.

Kothamangalam-Adimali-Rajakkad-Poppara-Bodi-Theni-Dindigul-Trichy-Chennai

I think roads about Rajakkad area a bit broken. But I think its still worth it.
Old 16th September 2013, 12:16   #5687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Makes sense to take the Munnar route, bot NOT via Munnar.

Kothamangalam-Adimali-Rajakkad-Poppara-Bodi-Theni-Dindigul-Trichy-Chennai

I think roads about Rajakkad area a bit broken. But I think its still worth it.
This road is much better than going through Thrissur - Palakkad route. But, there are some diversions. The Bodimettu - Bodi ghat section is open for traffic only on Sundays as the road widening work is going on.

You will have to take a detour from Pooppara through Nedumkandom->Thookkupalam->Cumbum Mettu -> Cumbum -> Theni.

This would be around 40kms extra (roads are in good condition).

Another option to avoid extra kms is to go through Adimali -> Kallarkutty -> Kambilikandom -> Panikkankudi -> Muniyara -> Mailadumpaara -> Nedumkandom -> Thookkupalam->Cumbum Mettu -> Cumbum -> Theni. (Roads are good but narrow - with steep climbs and blind curves). I did this route last week. Started from Adimali at 9:00am and reached Theni at 12:45pm.
bijuks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 21:55   #5688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Planning for a round trip from Chennai- Ettumanoor-Calicut - Chennai in October.
Based on the comments here, I have decided to take Dindigul -Kumili route for onward and Palakkad-Pollachi-Palladam-Avinashi route for return trip (I would need to visit Palakkad for a function otherwise would have taken the Mysore route for return) However I have question on which route should be taken from Kumili to Ettumanoor as I could see 3 different routes as given below

Could someone please suggest which one is best based on your experience?
Even if you don't have to visit Palakkad for a function, wont that be a wrong decision to return through Mysore to Chennai unless you want to have a sedate scenic drive? This will easily add 90 ~ 120 minutes to your travel time though the kilometer may only increase marginally say within 50Kms.
Old 16th September 2013, 23:50   #5689
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Construction of many flyovers have begun on the stretch between Alathur and Walayar on NH-47. The latest being the one at Chandranagar.
This is good news but does it seem like work is progressing very fast to see a significant change in October itself ?
During my trip in May, I did see a lone construction worker at the chandranagar junction, seemed like soil testing to me, good to know its indeed for a flyover at that junction, hope work progresses fast.
Old 17th September 2013, 01:13   #5690

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashi4877 View Post
Can any one update me on the Palakkad Coimbatore road? As many here said about repairs, any update on the same?

I am planning to go from Thrissur to Bangalore on 14 October via shornur - ottapalam road - Palakkad then catch the NH47 or is there any other options or suggestions.

Travelling with family (wife & two daughters - One 7 year old daughter and other a two month old infant) so prefer a less hassle road and this trip would be my second daughter's first road trip.... So kindly advice..
Hi - once you reach Palakkad, you can avoid the Kanjikod Walayar road as it’s in extreme bad conditions till beginning of September (not sure if something changed after that). After exiting Palakkad town, you will come across the right diversion to Thrissur (via NH47). Proceed straight and some 200m ahead you will see the Koottupatha Junction. Take the right (Pollachi road). Single lane road with excellent surface for about 15km. Be careful as its a standard 2 lane Kerala road that gets more dangerous if the surface is better due to speeding buses and trucks.

Nallepulli CoOp bank, then Athicode junction - take a left to Velanthavalam. 10 km from this point till Velanthavalam are moderately choppy roads, but very much drivable. Watch out for a point where a bridge construction is going on and there is a diversion.

Once you reach Velanthavalam, proceed towards the check post. At the check post take a right. Another landmark is an Indian Oil Petrol pump before the check post. The right is callled "Kumittipathi road" - ask for directions to be sure. This road has markings, reflectors, lines at the center etc throughout. Perfect surface. You will realize the difference between Kerala and Tamil Nadu roads here - If you happen to travel in the night, you will enjoy the illumination of the reflectors. They guide you through the winding roads with minimal confusions. Kerala govt. or road makers might deny the existence of such a road and talk about Bullet Trains from Trivandrum to Mangalapuram and challenges with making good roads. But I can assure you that such a road exists as I have travelled a couple of times. You can feel the difference between the two states on how roads are made and managed.

Proceed without worrying about any diversion that comes by. Ask for "Othakalmandapam" to be sure. You will hit the Coimbatore - Pollachi highway after 20 km. Take a left and go straight to hit the L&T Highway at Karpagam University junction. Turn right at the junction to proceed on L&T Highway.

Exit L&T highway at Nilambur and proceed to Avinashi and then to Erode, Salem - Dharmapuri, Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore. I dont have to go gaga over the quality and smoothness of the road - its a known history. The road construction from Nilambur to Chengappalli byepass has progressed well and now you will see less diversions and smooth roads. Watch out for those unmarked speed breakers till Chengappalli - dont go too fast. After Chengapalli you can show off!
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-kumitipathi-road.jpg  

shefeeqyr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 11:20   #5691
BHPian

Dear Shafeeqyr, Thanks for the detailed explanation and your effort. My travel timing is always in the morning, usually by the time I reach Palakkad daylight starts appearing. So would try this route as in case I get it wrong anywhere, I could find people to guide me too. Thanks once again.
Old 17th September 2013, 11:28   #5692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefeeqyr View Post
Once you reach Velanthavalam, proceed towards the check post. At the check post take a right. Another landmark is an Indian Oil Petrol pump before the check post. The right is callled "Kumittipathi road" - ask for directions to be sure. This road has markings, reflectors, lines at the center etc throughout. Perfect surface.
Seems like a good option.

After it crosses the Coimbatore-Pollachi highway this road seems to continue as SH163 to Palladam. Any idea about the condition about this road ? Could be a good alternative to the Palladam-Pollachi-Palghat option that is the normal suggestion to get to Palghat avoiding the Chengapalli-Walayar stretch.
Old 17th September 2013, 22:42   #5693
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
After it crosses the Coimbatore-Pollachi highway this road seems to continue as SH163 to Palladam. Any idea about the condition about this road ? Could be a good alternative to the Palladam-Pollachi-Palghat option that is the normal suggestion to get to Palghat avoiding the Chengapalli-Walayar stretch.
This does seem like another option at least on the map (SH163 is also known as Frontier Road per gmaps)
But distance wise it's almost the same, about 7 Km less when compared with the Pollachi route (as per gmaps) so don't know if it's really worth it.
Old 18th September 2013, 11:37   #5694
BHPian

Quote:
Hi - once you reach Palakkad, you can avoid the Kanjikod Walayar road as it’s in extreme bad conditions till beginning of September (not sure if something changed after that). After exiting Palakkad town, you will come across the right diversion to Thrissur (via NH47). Proceed straight and some 200m ahead you will see the Koottupatha Junction. Take the right (Pollachi road).
Nallepulli CoOp bank, then Athicode junction - take a left to Velanthavalam.

Once you reach Velanthavalam, proceed towards the check post. At the check post take a right. Another landmark is an Indian Oil Petrol pump before the check post. The right is callled "Kumittipathi road"
Proceed without worrying about any diversion that comes by. Ask for "Othakalmandapam" to be sure. You will hit the Coimbatore - Pollachi highway after 20 km. Take a left and go straight to hit the L&T Highway at Karpagam University junction. Turn right at the junction to proceed on L&T Highway.

Exit L&T highway at Nilambur and proceed to Avinashi and then to Erode,
Hi completely on this alternative, to my surprise even private intercity buses have started using this route. Last Sunday I was travelling in Kallada from Thrissur (10:45 PM) to Bangalore, after picking people from Palakkad my driver used the same route and it was a smooth sail for a multiaxle vehicle. I think this will be a better option for all buses who don't have a pickup from Coimbatore. Also need to be aware about the traffic during day time by local residents.
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 11:46   #5695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi - once you reach Palakkad, ...
Thank you for the finer details.

However, I'm not so happy about the condition of the L&T toll road. The surface is uneven though there are no potholes. Instead of turning right to Velanthavalam and merging onto the bypass later on, it's better to continue onwards to Pollachi and then take the tried and tested Palladam-Kangeyam route. Palakkad-Pollachi road is a delight to drive on, especially at night.

I'd done Neelambur-Madukkarai-Chavadi-Velanthavalam route on friday the 13th (wonder if it's because of the the 'auspicious' day :P ) but it was not a pleasant experience, compared to the Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi route.

Construction of flyovers is in progress at some of the junctions between Alathur and Chandranagar on NH-47. Expect diversions. Looks like the work is going on fast, but one can never predict.
Old 18th September 2013, 14:00   #5696
BHPian

We are planning a 3 day Kochi-Coorg next trip. The idea is to start from Kochi on 27th afternoon and reach Coorg by late night. 28th will be reserved for sight seeing and return back on 29th morning.
The route we are planning to take is Ekm-Thrissur-Kechery-Perumbilavu-Kuttippuram-Kottakkal-Ramanattukara(bye pass)-Thamarassery-Adivaram-Kalpetta-Mananthavady-Tholpetty-Coorg.
Selected this route as its supposed to be more scenic. Can someone update on the road conditions and approx. driving time required. Also suggest alternate route for return journey. We will be driving a swift with 3 adults on board.
Old 18th September 2013, 15:48   #5697
BHPian

Quote:
Hi - once you reach Palakkad, you can avoid the Kanjikod Walayar road as it’s in extreme bad conditions..........After Chengapalli you can show off!
shefeeqyr, that was a good share. I had tough time when I traveled to Kerala in May. The PGT-CBE road was in a pathetic condition & at many places it was running single lane. This road would come as a big relief for many. Thanks.
Old 18th September 2013, 20:44   #5698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
This road is much better than going through Thrissur - Palakkad route. But, there are some diversions. The Bodimettu - Bodi ghat section is open for traffic only on Sundays as the road widening work is going on.

You will have to take a detour from Pooppara through Nedumkandom->Thookkupalam->Cumbum Mettu -> Cumbum -> Theni.

This would be around 40kms extra (roads are in good condition).

Another option to avoid extra kms is to go through Adimali -> Kallarkutty -> Kambilikandom -> Panikkankudi -> Muniyara -> Mailadumpaara -> Nedumkandom -> Thookkupalam->Cumbum Mettu -> Cumbum -> Theni. (Roads are good but narrow - with steep climbs and blind curves). I did this route last week. Started from Adimali at 9:00am and reached Theni at 12:45pm.
I did the route as mentioned (Adimali - Rajakkad- rajakumari-pooppara-Bodi-theni-dindigul-chennai)

The road from Adimali till pooppara was bad (probably due to the rains) and hence it turned out to be a bad decision. But I am not sure how the roads would be had I taken the route through Munnar to Pooppara

Regarding the ghats,locals told that daily they open up the ghats at 4 PM for traffic. I returned on a monday and ghats were open when I passed that section at around 5 PM and hence this input seems to be correct.

While going to KL, my destination was cochin and hence took the NH45 till trichy, on to Dindigul-Palani - Pollachi - Alathur - pazhayannur-Trichur-Ekm

For taking Palani road from Dindigul, there is a deviation around 10 kms before Dindigul town which will help you skip the travel through the town. This, even though , I saw the deviation, missed to take as I was on the fast lane and couldnt stop in time. Had I taken this , would have avoided around 10 -15 kms and some traffic in town (?)
joecherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 21:17   #5699

Can we expect a decent 4/6 lane highway from Bangalore to Palakkad in the near future, i.e by mid 2014 atleast?? Can someone please update and confirm whether the news of Avinashi to Palakkad via Walayar is going to be 4/6 lane is true?? I have seen some activity last year and of late heard more of it on Tbhp as its causing great disturbance to traffic on NH47.

And also more info regarding some flyover work at Chandranagar.

Well if its really true it would mean a stress free drive of 400+ kms
Old 18th September 2013, 21:55   #5700
BHPian

Can you please suggest me the best route from Trivandrum to Thekkady .
Google maps gave me this : https://www.google.co.in/maps/previe...9!4f13.1&fid=0 .My plan is to stick to this route , but not sure on the road conditions.
Please tell if this route is fine or should I follow the longer MC road changancherry - kanjirapally- mundakkayam route.

Most Viewed