Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2013, 19:00   #5731
BHPian

Guys, need some urgent advice. My folks are planning to drive down to Coimbatore from Kochi tomorrow morning. They are planning to take the usual kochi-chalakudy-mannuthy-vadakkencherry-palakkad-walayar-coimbatore route.

Is it safe to take a bmw (we all know how 'capable' run flat tyres are in Indian pot holed roads) through this route or should I advice them to take the trusty Toyota instead?
Thanks in advance.
Old 30th September 2013, 20:35   #5732
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275BHP View Post
Guys, need some urgent advice. My folks are planning to drive down to Coimbatore from Kochi tomorrow morning. They are planning to take the usual kochi-chalakudy-mannuthy-vadakkencherry-palakkad-walayar-coimbatore route.

Is it safe to take a bmw (we all know how 'capable' run flat tyres are in Indian pot holed roads) through this route or should I advice them to take the trusty Toyota instead?
Thanks in advance.
The ride comfort aspect will take a beating due to the patchy conditions between Palakkad-Madukkari. No danger otherwise
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 20:38   #5733
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks in advance.

Try the extra routing :

Kochi-Trichur-Wadakkancherry-Pazhayannur-Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi-CBE

Good roads all the way
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 21:17   #5734
Senior - BHPian

Update from today on Palakkad-CBE stretch:
Chandranagar junction is all dug up - it's a messy roundabout there now. The next 100 metres is relatively smooth. Beyond that, until Koottupatha, it's a bit patchy. Koottupatha onwards until Kanjikode, it's construction galore on either side of the road. The surface is decent, but expect lumps of soil causing undulations. Kanjikode (ITI Ltd) till Walayar does not have as much activity, but still a bit rough.

Cross Walayar border, you can see ghosts of what used to be construction sites of flyovers but the deviations are still in place, with their share of potholes. Back-breaking, rollercoaster ride, bumpy, etc would be the adjectives to be used for the stretch between Madukkarai and Walayar.
silversteed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 21:31   #5735
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Update from today on Palakkad-CBE stretch:
Chandranagar junction is all dug up - it's a messy roundabout there now. The next 100 metres is relatively smooth. Beyond that, until Koottupatha, it's a bit patchy. Koottupatha onwards until Kanjikode, it's construction galore on either side of the road. The surface is decent, but expect lumps of soil causing undulations. Kanjikode (ITI Ltd) till Walayar does not have as much activity, but still a bit rough.
Even more of a reason to use Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi option. Dont know when this chaos will actually end.
Old 30th September 2013, 21:48   #5736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Toyota ofcourse unless you dont like the BMW
Old 30th September 2013, 21:58   #5737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Even more of a reason to use Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi option. Dont know when this chaos will actually end.
Usually, the TN side gets done first, followed by the KL side. But here, I don't see the Walayar-Madukkarai stretch getting widened any time soon, and I am hopeful that the Alathur-Chandranagar-Walayar stretch getting a new lease of life.

Perhaps, it's only the way MC road was redone to what it is now, between Angamaly and Moovattupuzha, that went faster than this.

As for the route option, for those intending to go towards North, the Pollachi-Gopalapuram-Palakkad-NH213 is the best way, and for those going towards Thrissur/Kochi, Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Chelakkara route.

Had driven from Bangalore to Palakkad on sunday last. I was intrigued to see a small traffic jam before Hosur town at 3 o'clock in the morning! Didn't find anything unusual at the deviations nor any unusually large/deep potholes either.

Last edited by silversteed : 30th September 2013 at 22:01.
silversteed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 22:07   #5738
BHPian

Quote:
Is it safe to take a bmw (we all know how 'capable' run flat tyres are in Indian pot holed roads)
Oops, I really don't know:
"how 'capable' run flat tyres are in Indian pot holed roads".
Do elaborate. Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 22:25   #5739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSUDARSANAN View Post

Oops, I really don't know:
"how 'capable' run flat tyres are in Indian pot holed roads".
Do elaborate. Thanks
Assuming you missed the quotes on 'capable'. I was being sarcastic there.

In case you genuinely aren't aware about how incapable these run flat tyres are then all I've got to say is, based on my experience, run flat tyres can handle the usual undulations in roads but drive them a bit carelessly in pot holed roads and you've got yourself a puncture.
Old 30th September 2013, 22:43   #5740
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Had driven from Bangalore to Palakkad on sunday last. I was intrigued to see a small traffic jam before Hosur town at 3 o'clock in the morning! Didn't find anything unusual at the deviations nor any unusually large/deep potholes either.
Experienced a similar situation about 3 weeks ago at 4am but that was due to the trucks trying to find a parking spot near the checkpost. Of the available 2 lanes (1.5 actually!), since there was a line of trucks already parked on leftmost lane, the 'parking spotters' blocked the other lane causing a jam.
Old 1st October 2013, 10:51   #5741
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Experienced a similar situation about 3 weeks ago at 4am but that was due to the trucks trying to find a parking spot near the checkpost. Of the available 2 lanes (1.5 actually!), since there was a line of trucks already parked on leftmost lane, the 'parking spotters' blocked the other lane causing a jam.
This is normal state for last 2-3 months. The condition became like this once the bridge work started near the TN check post. The service line is only open for the traffic which is 80 % blocked by the parked trucks. The condition towards Bangalore is a little better. I used to bypass the TN checkpost by taking either Sarjapur-Bagalur-Hosur route (http://goo.gl/maps/btPey) or Attibele-TVS Factory-Hosur(http://goo.gl/maps/auKp3). The condition of Sarjapur/Bagalur route is really good other than a 500m stretch in Sarjapur town. The TVS factory road is also very good.

Saw this good news in Manorama: Re tarring between Vadakkenchery and Mannuthy is 70 % completed. Only 7 kms remaining. Here is the news: http://www.manoramaonline.com/cgi-bi...79897613&BV_ID

Last edited by denver85 : 1st October 2013 at 10:54.
denver85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 10:57   #5742
BHPian

Planning to travel tomorrow morning from Bangalore to Perumbavoor on following route

Bangalore >> Perundurai >> Palladam >> Pollachi >> Kollangode >> Alathur (Pazayannur road) >> Chelakkara >>Wadakkanchery >> trissur >>Chalakkudi

This route is finalized based on the input from previous post. This is the first time i am travelling through this route.

Any further suggestions based on recent travel experience is welcome.
Old 1st October 2013, 11:08   #5743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post

Saw this good news in Manorama: Re tarring between Vadakkenchery and Mannuthy is 70 % completed. Only 7 kms remaining. Here is the news: http://www.manoramaonline.com/cgi-bi...79897613&BV_ID
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Kuthiran - Mannuthy stretch has been paved newly and the road is good now. The Vadakkenchery-Walayar stretch is patchy

Walayar-Madukkarai has been repaired and is ok.
I will be driving to Kerala (Vaikom) on Saturday. I prefer to take NH 7 - NH 47 route as it is faster even though the surface is rough. How is the condition of the Palakkad - Mannuthy NH 47? The manorama report says relaying of 7 KMS is remaining. I do not mind occasional craters but if there are road blocks due to craters or road work, I want to avoid this. Do you have any update?
Old 1st October 2013, 11:19   #5744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I will be driving to Kerala (Vaikom) on Saturday. I prefer to take NH 7 - NH 47 route as it is faster even though the surface is rough. How is the condition of the Palakkad - Mannuthy NH 47? The manorama report says relaying of 7 KMS is remaining. I do not mind occasional craters but if there are road blocks due to craters or road work, I want to avoid this. Do you have any update?
A friend who took the road last week did not find any road blocks and the road is manageable
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 11:50   #5745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
Planning to travel tomorrow morning from Bangalore to Perumbavoor on following route
Bangalore >> Perundurai >> Palladam >> Pollachi >> Kollangode >> Alathur (Pazayannur road) >> Chelakkara >>Wadakkanchery >> trissur >>Chalakkudi

This route is finalized based on the input from previous post. This is the first time i am travelling through this route.

Any further suggestions based on recent travel experience is welcome.
The roads are good all the way in this route. So nothing to worry about that.
As you are traveling for first time make sure you don't miss the turns on Perundurai, Palladam, Pollachi and Kollengode.
In Perundurai, on the bypass take a left turn from the junction where you can see Hotel Jumboos (something like that) on right of the Jn. The Gmap is here: http://goo.gl/maps/jmBtY
In Kangeyam, you need to take a right in the town. It is well marked and look out for the sign boards to Coimbatore/Palladam.
In Palladam, you will hit a signal from where you should take a left. Signboards are there also.
In Pollachi, as you approach Pollachi, you will be able to see a 4-line road going towards right(New scheme road). Take that road and you will hit another junction with signal. Take a left from there. On the next junction, take the straight narrow road. On traveling 100 meters on that narrow road, a temple will come on the right side. Take a right just after the temple and proceed straight.(Gmap is here:http://goo.gl/maps/oMyeg)
Kollengode, after the town there are some curves with speed breakers. Look for a road going towards right after some sharp curves.
There are good news about Kuthiran repairing, so you can think of the direct route thorough Kollengode-Nemmara-Vadakkenchey-Mannuthy also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Heard that the Kuthiran section is not bad now. The Vadakkenchey-Mannuthy can be doable. But not sure about the Palakkad-Alatur-Vadakkencehry route.
denver85 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks