Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2009, 16:32   #631
BHPian

Just got back from a trip to Ernakulam. The dual carriageway roads are great from Hosur to Salem barring a few flyovers which are under construction. I took the Salem-Coimbatore road instead of Mettur dam road. Here, the roads though complete mostly are still not open for dual carriageway and the biggest 'danger' is oncoming vehicles on your side of the road. Also, you need to watch out for vehicles coming out of slip roads onto the main road.
Old 17th June 2009, 22:11   #632
BHPian

I think this is the right thread for my question, which I posted on Coimbatore thread.
I am planning a weekend trip to Silent Valley national park from Bangalore.
Please suggest the route to be taken, with some guidance on road conditions etc.

These are my thoughts. I have two options
1. Go fast, come back leisurely
For this option, I plan to leave on Friday afternoon (3PM ish) and reach Coimbatore, Palakkad, and cover SV NP and return on Sunday by leisurely drive via Wayanad
For this option, is it safe to drive after dark on these stretches(Where would I be reaching considering I start at 3 in Bangalore)

2. Go slowly, come back fast.
For this option, I will start on Sat morning, drive slowly enjoying wayanad etc., reach Palakkad(or any other place to stay?) and Sunday evening will start from Palakkad, reach NH7 before dark, and enter 4 lane road before dark.

Please do suggest better ways conidering that it is a holiday, and a better drive, with some wildlife interest in mind as well. I would be driving with other friends in a couple of cars.

thanks in advance.
Old 20th June 2009, 07:06   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
I've seen pretty heavy traffic on Gundlepet-S. Battery road in the night-time compared to the day. I noticed this while traveling few times by bus in Jan'09 and while driving down couple of times by myself. I think it's a wise decision to restrict night-traffic through these forests.

Not sure how the innumerable private bus operators from/to Calicut, Kannur, Tellichery, Iritty will accommodate this.

Regards
Rex
Since most of us drive day time, we may not suffer. But what about those people who are totally dependent on night bus services. I think this is a sensitive issue on both front. I totally agree that we need to be careful while driving. I am not sure how many animal hit cases have been recorded or reported, say since last one year. Stopping the traffic is not the best option, instead they can have temporary speed breakers, at every strategic points. This is my opinion.
Regards,
Sarin
Old 20th June 2009, 10:50   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarinkumar View Post
Since most of us drive day time, we may not suffer. But what about those people who are totally dependent on night bus services. I think this is a sensitive issue on both front. I totally agree that we need to be careful while driving. I am not sure how many animal hit cases have been recorded or reported, say since last one year. Stopping the traffic is not the best option, instead they can have temporary speed breakers, at every strategic points. This is my opinion.
Regards,
Sarin
But will this Driver have that sense to drive their vehicle slow. Recently I was driving through Nagarhole Forest. The road has lots of Hump to control the speed. But still I see people driving at more speed than expected even honking though the road was almost empty.
All Roads to Kerala-jungle-instructino.jpg
Old 21st June 2009, 06:56   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
But will this Driver have that sense to drive their vehicle slow. Recently I was driving through Nagarhole Forest. The road has lots of Hump to control the speed. But still I see people driving at more speed than expected even honking though the road was almost empty.
Attachment 150157
Yes. These are the people who makes other people's life in mysery. By temporary speek breakers I meant, barricades with proper reflectors. Also, forest people knows the usual animal crossing points and such places they can build permanant humps slightly bigger than usual ones. In anycase stopping traffic is not the right solution.
Regards,
Sarin
Old 21st June 2009, 17:14   #636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Am sure a lot of us in the forum also have sped through the forests during night without considering the plight of animals which might have to cross the road for basic needs like Food & Water.

Any one complaining about the closure of this road in the night should think about the state of Sathyamangalam - Thimbam stretch which at one point of time used to see herds of elephants crossing the road often during the nights, over time the road conditions became better and better with vehicle speeds becoming higher and higher you would be lucky to even spot a wild boar in the night leave alone any other animal of note.

Would it mean the only way to reach North Kerala through the night is to go via Virajpet, hopefully they do up the road atleast. This is a lesser evil as compared to NH67 & NH212
+1 to that. Food and water for wildlife is a major issue. The two highways (Gundlupet-Gudalur & Gundlupet-S Bathery) are hampering the animals in moving to different places for food and water. No animal would dare to come near the road, let alone cross cross it, with this kind of traffic.

The govt also must take steps to develop alternate roads when they plan to close major roads. Anyway, the decision to close the road was a half-hearted one and they knew they would be forced to withdraw it soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarinkumar View Post
Regards,
Sarin
I don't think the number of animal hits should be considered here to close this road. The govt should not wait for a certain no of animal hits to occur before they declare a road as closed. The aim of the closure is prevent animal hits and facilitating movement of animals freely within the boundary.
Old 29th June 2009, 11:02   #637
Senior - BHPian

I am driving to Cochin with family this weekend. I plan to take Salem route instead of Thoppur - Bhavani route as work in Salem route seems to be near completion as per the latest update. Any latest update?

Any recommendation for good restaurants on Salem route? I plan to have lunch at Walayar motels. Breakfast is the only concern.
Old 29th June 2009, 11:09   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post

Any recommendation for good restaurants on Salem route? I plan to have lunch at Walayar motels. Breakfast is the only concern.
PatienceWins, depends on what time you plan to start. you can have it from Hosur ( hotel Saravanabhava - below the flyover ), a couple of BP dhabas after Krishnagiri and one just before Thoppur. Next will be in Salem byepass NH47 intersection. From clenaliness perspective, my experience is that Dhaba s are better followed by Hotel Saravanabhava

No idea about the route status. Please update the forum after your visit

-tortoise
Old 29th June 2009, 12:00   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
PatienceWins, depends on what time you plan to start. you can have it from Hosur ( hotel Saravanabhava - below the flyover ), a couple of BP dhabas after Krishnagiri and one just before Thoppur. Next will be in Salem byepass NH47 intersection. From clenaliness perspective, my experience is that Dhaba s are better followed by Hotel Saravanabhava
Thanks. I intend to start at 4:30 AM. I would reach Thoppur by 8, so some place between Thoppur - Salem would hold good. I do not know this route well as I used to take Bhavani route earlier.
Old 29th June 2009, 13:03   #640
BHPian

Quote:
I am driving to Cochin with family this weekend. I plan to take Salem route instead of Thoppur - Bhavani route as work in Salem route seems to be near completion as per the latest update. Any latest update?

Hi PatienceWins,

I took the same route, albeit in the opposite direction, 2 weeks back on my way back from Palakkad. My feedback:

Bhavani-Salem: The work is moving at a fast pace and you do get quite a few 4-lane stretches; but there are a few areas where one side is blocked off. However, this doesn't hamper progress as each side of the 4-lane is wider than the previous 2-lane; you can easily maintain good speeds and overtaking isn't too much of a hassle - just concentrate!

The negative: Shankari bye-pass still not open (even partially) and you need to pass through the town; can slow you down depending on time of day - I took nearly 20 minutes to cross this stretch (mid-day) as overtaking is next to impossible. Same is the case on the last stretch of NH47 as you approach Salem. I was unfortunate to get stuck in a massive traffic jam for close to an hour just 100 meters before the circle, all 'coz the Salem authorities decided to surface the bye-pass in the middle of the day - leaving only the service lanes open for traffic! However, this was just my luck; I guess you should sail through easily.

Avinashi-Bhavani: 95% done (some beautification work still on in patches), smooth sailing.

Overall, if I ignore the one hour jam and lunch stop, my driving time from PLKD (ETD: 11.00) to BLR (ETA: 19.30) was 6 & 1/2 hours; probably one of the best timings I have done on this stretch. It was an easy-paced drive - was conciously keeping speeds within a max of 110kmph - and recorded a decent 11.8KMPL for the Scorpio with 100% AC usage.

Hope this helps you decide; let me know if you need further inputs.

Regarding stops, there is a BP dhabba on the left side somewhere midway between Hosur & Krishnagiri; should be a good bet for b'fast. Else, the one on the right side before Thoppur (have eaten here) is recommended. Good bit about these BP dhabbas are the rest rooms are very well maintained (which will not be the case all the time if you opt for any of the motels around Salem).

Cheers,
Old 29th June 2009, 13:17   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I intend to start at 4:30 AM. I would reach Thoppur by 8, so some place between Thoppur - Salem would hold good. I do not know this route well as I used to take Bhavani route earlier.
PatienceWins, I don't see why you would take so long to reach Thoppur, especially so early in the morning. My guess is you should be thereabouts in about 2 hours time, driving at an easy pace.

I would suggest you opt for the BP Dhabba before Thoppur (not sure if they would open at 6.30am) and grab a good early b'fast! This is on the right side before you approach the Thoppur toll - can't miss it. As mentioned in my earlier post, the other options nearer to Salem may not offer very clean rest-rooms. We have tried one or two of these options and have found the BP dhabbas much better.

Cheers,
Old 29th June 2009, 14:17   #642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy70 View Post
PatienceWins, I don't see why you would take so long to reach Thoppur, especially so early in the morning. My guess is you should be thereabouts in about 2 hours time, driving at an easy pace.
Cheers,
Yes, that was a mistake. I usually halt at Saravanabhavan, Bhavani for breakfast by 9 after starting at 5 from Domlur. I hope to start early this time - chances are remote with the kids.

Thanks Jammy. I am confused whether to take Mettur route or Salem route.

I like Mettur route as it is a nice break from monotonous highway driving and the road condition was good. I do not see any traffic jams/ surprises on this route. But Saravanabhavan hotel is just ok. I would be checking the hotel near mettur dam (deviating by taking right from circle) that was recommended in this thread if I am travelling in this route.

I am worried about traffic jams if I take the Salem route. It is long time since I have taken this route (Usually we take Mettur route or Mysore-Batheri route). I am travelling with my kids (Elder one is 3 years with travel sickness. Younger one is 7 months - his maiden long drive and I am keeping my fingers crossed). I know it would be difficult with the kids, but I do not want to miss an opportunity to hit the highway.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 29th June 2009 at 14:27.
Old 29th June 2009, 14:37   #643
Team-BHP Support

@PatienceWins: I start at 6 am and have break fast at 9 am from Salem, lunch at around 1230 noon from Palghat and no need to worry about traffic at that hour. Traffic starts when you are reaching Salem and then will stay till Bhavani, then you get clear road till Avinashi, Avinashi to CBE bypass will be again pain.

Road condition was ok a month back till Salem and Salem to Bhavani was manageable but at a slower pace. I took this route after a long time and was very happy with it, since i felt i could cover more distance in lesser time.

Am also driving down on Friday, this time starting at noon, will update by Fri late night with road conditions.

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th June 2009 at 14:38.
Old 29th June 2009, 14:49   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Am also driving down on Friday, this time starting at noon, will update by Fri late night with road conditions.
Thanks Jaggu. I am also driving down on Friday and coming back on Monday. Have a pleasant trip!!
Old 29th June 2009, 14:56   #645
Team-BHP Support

lol then you can update the info by fri afternoon great and safe drive to you too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks