Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2014, 17:33   #6841
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Mysore road humps seemed to have been toned down after the retarring.. Still no reduction in number though. Number of humps in the mysore gundlepet stretch seems to have increased.The
Is the full stretch upto Mysore re-laid?
I will be doing Calicut next week and was thinking of taking Kanakpura-Chamrajnagar route for a change. When I did it a month ago, it was in good condition. Not sure of the state now.

Totally bored of the Bangalore-Mysore SH and the crazy drivers who think it is a race track, makes it even more stressful.
Old 10th May 2014, 19:31   #6842
BHPian

Apologies if this question is out of place.
Would like to know of good restaurants in near Thrissur ( bypass ) on NH-47. I am planning to go around that route around 8 PM and would be grateful to get any tips :-).
Old 10th May 2014, 20:12   #6843
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Is the full stretch upto Mysore re-laid?
I will be doing Calicut next week and was thinking of taking Kanakpura-Chamrajnagar route for a change. When I did it a month ago, it was in good condition. Not sure of the state now.

Totally bored of the Bangalore-Mysore SH and the crazy drivers who think it is a race track, makes it even more stressful.
Don't think it has been relaid end to end. Some stretches it was obvious. Like from kengeri to channapatna. But all humps have white markings now. And humps on the relaid sections are more scientific now. Kanakpura route should be still good. Only the Ch nagar gundlepet stretch may have deteriorated further after the recent rains. I typically take this route while returning since when going i leave early.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2014, 22:27   #6844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_kumard View Post
Apologies if this question is out of place.
Would like to know of good restaurants in near Thrissur ( bypass ) on NH-47. I am planning to go around that route around 8 PM and would be grateful to get any tips :-).
Plenty of restaurants between pattikad and mannuthy including two india coffee house outlets at mannuthy

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 15:45   #6845
BHPian

While returning from BR Hills last weekend, there was a traffic jam here due to the concrete barricades! The reason mentioned on the notices there is "weak" bridge.

But now due to these structures there is a line of slow moving or stationary vehicles on the bridge instead of few vehicles moving across it. How does this help the weak bridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Wanted to share an update on NH 209, saw this on my way back from Ooty to Bangalore via Chamarajanagar-Kollegal-Malavalli-Kanakapura:

2 nicely plastered walls, one covering left half of the road and other a short distance away covering right half of road (like the steel barricades put up by cops to slow vehicles down) are being built on both sides of the narrow cauvery bridge (which is between Shivanasamudra junction and Talakkad/Somnathpura junction) on NH209

There were some Zilla Panchayat boards nearby as well so I'm guessing they've done this after a recent accident/other incident but this seems so much more dangerous now since it restricts proper view ahead when accessing the bridge from both sides
Old 13th May 2014, 19:18   #6846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Mysore road humps seemed to have been toned down after the retarring.. Still no reduction in number though.
Indeed. I took this route today to see how it has coped. By the time you are in top gear the next hump has arrived, so drop down to second, cross it and then go through the motions. Pretty pathetic drive, really.

The quality of Nanjangud-Mysore is also not good. And when I arrived at Mysore (around 10 AM) there was a massive line of vehicles waiting to enter the town, so decided to take the Ring Road. About 25 km, which took me perhaps 35 minutes. Some incomplete stretches, but sill quite a pleasant surprise. I reckon driving through Mysore could have taken at least that much time and would have been a lot more stressful.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 20:39   #6847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I will be doing Calicut next week and was thinking of taking Kanakpura-Chamrajnagar route for a change.Totally bored of the Bangalore-Mysore SH and the crazy drivers who think it is a race track, makes it even more stressful.
After taking the Kanakpura-Malavalli-Chamarajnagar route for couple of years, I started taking the Bangalore-Mysore route again. And I feel much more relaxed now. I usually start from Bangalore at 4:00 or 4:15 and reach Mysore by 6:00-6:15. I go through the city and at that time, there is no traffic inside the city. While coming back also, I start early and don't face much issue. Earlier, I used to start late from Kerala and had to go though hell. Starting early presents me a much calmer drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
While returning from BR Hills last weekend, there was a traffic jam here due to the concrete barricades! The reason mentioned on the notices there is "weak" bridge.
Vinod, I can understand the plight. These are some of the reasons why I don't use that route anymore. A few very narrow stretches and if some vehicle breaks down, you will be left with no options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I reckon driving through Mysore could have taken at least that much time and would have been a lot more stressful.
The key is to reach Mysore early enough so that you can drive through the city. The bypass in Mysore is a very long detour.
Old 13th May 2014, 21:26   #6848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
According to yesterday's "The Hindu", due to landnslidebat Lower Camp between Kumily and Cumbum, traffic is closed on this route and is diverted via Cumbum mettu. Debris clearance may take two or more days.
this road is now open. I drove past the cleared landslide on May 12.
Old 14th May 2014, 06:36   #6849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
After taking the Kanakpura-Malavalli-Chamarajnagar route for couple of years, I started taking the Bangalore-Mysore route again. And I feel much more relaxed now.
My experience is the opposite when it comes to relaxing drive. I don't see how one can wish away the speed breakers by just starting early. :-) Yesterday I just wanted to see how the Mysore route has improved over the past 2-3 years - and what I saw has sworn me off this route for the next several.

Quote:
The key is to reach Mysore early enough so that you can drive through the city. The bypass in Mysore is a very long detour.
Since the forest route opens only at 6AM, I can't see how I could have reached Mysore before 8:30AM. Anyway, even if the bypass adds say 10 km to the overall distance I am quite OK with it (what is 10 more km in a drive of 370?) since it is a zero-stress option.
Old 14th May 2014, 09:09   #6850
BHPian

Quote:
My experience is the opposite when it comes to relaxing drive. I don't see how one can wish away the speed breakers by just starting early.
Individual preference I would say. Also depends on the vehicle I drive. I started my regular travel to Kozhikkode and back in my Santro in 2006. Back then, I used to take the Mysore road and the humps started growing in number ever since. Then I shifted to the Kanakpura-Malavalli route some time in 2009-10. My car also changed to a Figo in 2011. The major problems I faced were the lower ground clearance of my cars and less power, translating to lower average speeds (due to poor acceleration). But advantage was the smaller size because of which the narrow roads in that route were a non issue. But now, I drive an XUV and the re-surfaced Mysore road does not pose much trouble for me. I can accelerate much better, keeping my average speed and the humps really don't bother me much. I take less time now to reach Gundlupet than the Malavalli route.

Quote:
Since the forest route opens only at 6AM, I can't see how I could have reached Mysore before 8:30AM.
I think we are talking about to and fro journeys. While going to Kerala, I reach Mysore at around 6:00 and that time, the traffic is sparse and I go through the city. While coming back to Bangalore, I reach Mysore around 8:00 - 8:30 as you mentioned, but still I drive through the city and have never found much traffic. Which route did you take while coming though the city?
Old 14th May 2014, 09:49   #6851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There are two options:

- One via Nilambur/Gudalur.
- Second via CBE.

And now are very good.

MVPA - Chalakudy - Trichur - Shoranur - Pattambi - Perinthalmanna - Wandoor - Nilambur - Gudalur - Bandipur - Mysore - KR Nagar

Route Link

Second Options :

MVPA - Chalakudy - Trichur - Kuthiran - Palakkad - CBE Bypass - Karumathampatty - Annur - Sathy - Dimbam - Chamarajanagar - Nanjangud - Mysore - KR Nagar

Route Link

Advantage with second is its low on ghat roads. Also note both the roads are equally good in conditions. See posts by @coolclouds and @naveen.
We plan to reach KR Nagar early morning as to take token(5-6AM). so, second route is the choice? Also, since we wll be travelling in the night time, how about entering Coimbatore city instead of taking bypass - Athupaalam-Ukkadam-Gandhipuram-Ganapati-Annur-Satyamangalam route?
How is the condition of roads in Dimbam ghats and whether night traffic is safe in this route? and directions from Mysore city to KR Nagar
If We start return journey afternoon(1-2PM) from KR Nagar, is it possible to use Gudalur route?
Old 14th May 2014, 10:27   #6852
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
We plan to reach KR Nagar early morning as to take token(5-6AM). so, second route is the choice? Also, since we wll be travelling in the night time, how about entering Coimbatore city instead of taking bypass - Athupaalam-Ukkadam-Gandhipuram-Ganapati-Annur-Satyamangalam route?
Yes you can go through the city. But I don't know the traffic patterns there.

Quote:
How is the condition of roads in Dimbam ghats and whether night traffic is safe in this route?
I won't say its unsafe. But the issue is zero facilities on the ghats and if a truck gets stuck, you can't do anything.

Quote:
Directions from Mysore city to KR Nagar
You don't need to enter Mysore. You will be entering via NH212 Nanjangud-Mysore road. The instant you hit Ring Road, take left. Drive on the ring road and take the Hunsur road exit. There is a proper marked exit further down on Hunsur road for KR Nagar.

Route Link

Quote:
If We start return journey afternoon(1-2PM) from KR Nagar, is it possible to use Gudalur route?
Gudalur is about 150km from KR Nagar. So if you start by 1PM sharp, you should be in Gudalur by 4PM max. Perinthalmanna is another 80km. You should be able to make it by 6/6:30. So yes you should be able to take the Gudalur road.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 11:39   #6853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But now, I drive an XUV and the re-surfaced Mysore road does not pose much trouble for me. I can accelerate much better, keeping my average speed and the humps really don't bother me much. I take less time now to reach Gundlupet than the Malavalli route.
Yeah, I guess it all depends on vehicle type, time of travel etc. Though I must say, those things on Bangalore-Mysore Road are not humps as in traffic calming devices, they are some sort of devilish punishment for daring to own a car.

Quote:
While coming back to Bangalore, I reach Mysore around 8:00 - 8:30 as you mentioned, but still I drive through the city and have never found much traffic. Which route did you take while coming though the city?
I actually arrived at Mysore from Nanjangud side around 9:45 AM. I crossed the Ring Road junction and one more junction, saw this major jam, stopped and started chatting with an enterprising tea vendor, who said this gridlock had been there for about an hour then, at which point I realized the futility of waiting there, executed a neat (though I say so myself) three-point turn and went back to the Ring Road. 25 minutes later, I exited the Ring Road to the B-M Road.

It could have been a one-off, true.
Old 14th May 2014, 11:52   #6854
BHPian

Quote:
I actually arrived at Mysore from Nanjangud side around 9:45 AM. It could have been a one-off, true.
Yes, true. Actually, 9:45 - 10:00 is a time when the rush hour would have already started and saturated. I used to do this timings earlier, but now, I have begun starting from Kerala a bit early, specifically to avoid this mad rush. I will most probably take the Malavalli route once again this month end when I travel to Kerala. I usually get bored if I drive continuously on the same route
Old 14th May 2014, 19:52   #6855
BHPian

I plan to drive to Kochi tomorrow. Thinking that I will start at around 5 pm and break the journey overnight. How is the road condition of nh7 nh47?

Most Viewed