Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2014, 11:38   #7666
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

^^ A2B Thoppur can be used as a refueling (COCO bunk) and toilet break. Apart from that as others mentioned I had felt the service bad and rates higher for what they provide. I stopped going there around 4.5 years back when we had to wait for around 45 mins for tea.

Regarding last long weekend plan, I had to drop my earlier plan of Bangalore - Cochin- Calicut - Bangalore trip due to ill health. Thankfully by Friday (03 Oct) was feeling fine, hence did a Bangalore - Calicut trip.

While in Calicut did a trip to Nedumbassery airport and back on Saturday (04 Oct). Started around 2.15 PM from Calicut, traffic was heavy fast moving till Calicut University , got stuck behind a LPG tanker for next few KM's. Roads opened up once crossing Kuttipuram and was smooth sailing till Kunnamkulam. Kunnamkulam - Thrissur route again was having heavy traffic.

Reached Thrissur at 05.15 PM, had a break meeting friends and started to Nedumbasery airport at 06.30 PM.
Did see few flashing cameras near Chalakkudy, however I guess it was not for over speeding but on few vehicles jumping the signal.

Reached airport at 07:50 PM and started back after picking up my dad, with a break or around 20 mins we reached Calicut around midnight.

Few points -
-Private buses in general seems to have mellowed down a bit. Only came across one moronic bus in entire trip which is an achievement compared to my earlier drives.
- Road conditions are good throughout.
- The best time to travel in this route is after 08.00 PM when private vehicles are very less. Earlier (~9 years back) I used to love doing this route in afternoon, however nowadays find huge number of two wheeler's around that time.
- The best route, traffic wise for Calicut - Cochin as per frequent travelers in this route is via Ramanatukara - Parapanangadi - Tanur - Tirur - Chamaravattom bridge - Ponnani - Chavakkad - Kodugallur - Cochin. This takes around 4.5 hours with sedate driving and a small break.
Old 7th October 2014, 12:04   #7667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Is road repair in Thoppur ghats being done on both sides ? Or only traffic towards Bangalore side is affected due to Road work.

Is Palakkode-Rayakottai-Attibele route is safe to travel post midnight? Or that route doesn't make sense to avoid NH-7 during night travel.
I would generally advise people not to travel on SH's in the night. This is nothing to do with any safety issues. The only hiccup is in the event of vehicle breakdown, nobody will be around to assist you. That's it.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 12:32   #7668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Okay. On my journey towards Kerala (2nd Oct) I had noticed that even the Thoppur Toll gate had more vehicles than what I usually see. Just when we were in the queue, they hastly opened another toll booth which was closed. This was at around 0700Hrs. The next thought which struck me was how can I avoid this Thoppur toll as well *. After Palacode, I think there is a way to reach Mecheri (which lies between Thoppur and Mettur Dam).

So my take on this would be after long week ends any Toll Booth which has vehicles coming from multiple directions, should be avoided.
1. Salem & Thoppur: Vehicles from Kerala, Madurai and southern districts of TN and Kerala.
2. Krishnagiri: Salem, Thoppur plus Chennai based vehicles
3. Attibele: The "mother of toll booths"; pretty much the main check point at the border for vehicles coming from all Southern India!!!

* At this rate by identifying byepasses for each toll booth, I may finally start using a route which does not have any tolls at all . Perhaps using the Tamil Nadu state highways only.

Following is the route map to avoid thoppur toll as well. The Mecheri-Pennagaram stretch is a treat to drive . I have been on this stretch before. Once you reach Pennagaram, proceed towards the right till you reach a village called Nagadasampatti. From here take a left to proceed towards Palacode. Anyways if in doubt you can ask the locals for guidance.

All Roads to Kerala-mecheripennagaram.jpg
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 15:48   #7669
Senior - BHPian

Did Chennai - TVM and back over the long weekend

On the way, I took the Boothapandi route to reach TVM. On the way back took the traditional Nagercoil bypass route. Found the latter better because

1) Boothapandi route is also not smooth all over and has many bad stretches
2) This route is quite narrow compared to the broader 2nd option
3) On the way back, I started from TVM very early and hence the Boothapandi route was not a suitable option given that its very narrow, lots of blind turns and hence did not want to try it in the dark

I would recommend the regular route over the Boothapandi route
Old 7th October 2014, 18:15   #7670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
- The best time to travel in this route is after 08.00 PM when private vehicles are very less.
Absolutely agree. I did a Chalakudy - Irinjalakuda - TCR - Valanchery - Ramanattukara - Chathamangalam ( ~175 km) in 3 hrs flat with a 5 AM start ( 1st Oct); but the return journey took more than 5 hrs with a 2 PM start.

Similarly, Chathamangalam to Muthanga took 1:50 hrs with a 4:15 AM start, where as it takes 2.5 -3 hrs during day time.

Chalakudy - Pattambi - NIlambur -Vazhikadavu - 3 hr with a 4 AM start, but 5 hrs during day time.

As far as possible, I make plans to drive during nighttime while Kerala. Saves a lot of headache !!
Old 7th October 2014, 20:28   #7671
BHPian

Folks,

Need help in better understanding of the route - Bangalore - Angamaly via Pollachi

I concur from our group that majority advise against the route via Coimbatore > Walayar > Palakkad to get to Cochin and that the best route currently is via pollachi. But I have no clue about that route and even this time I stuck to what I knew.

Can one of you please guide me the route from Bangalore to Angamaly via Pollachi > vadakanchery with turning directions, landmarks, best hotels for food, etc.?

Thanks guys.
Old 7th October 2014, 23:49   #7672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
Folks,

Need help in better understanding of the route - Bangalore - Angamaly via Pollachi

I concur from our group that majority advise against the route via Coimbatore > Walayar > Palakkad to get to Cochin and that the best route currently is via pollachi. But I have no clue about that route and even this time I stuck to what I knew.

Can one of you please guide me the route from Bangalore to Angamaly via Pollachi > vadakanchery with turning directions, landmarks, best hotels for food, etc.?

Thanks guys.
I travelled to Chalakudy last week in this route. Roads are far better in this route. Whitefield to Chalakudy in 8.5 hrs with 45 mts break.

Do you have a smart phone with google maps? If yes, thats your best bet. I always navigate using google maps in my android.

i cant really give you turn by turn directions; but my approach is to note down the turning distances from maps.google.com and use it.

Route I always take :- Hosur - Thoppur - Omalur - Tharamangalam - Sankari town -Avinshi bypass - Mangalam - Palladam - Pollachi - Meenakshipuram - Nemmara - Vadakkancheri - Chalakudy.

Omalur - You will see the salem airport board on the left, take next right to Omalur town. Inside the town, you have to turn right near busstand.

Tharamangalam - Turn left inside the town and go straight and it will take you to Sankari town. Turn right at dead end and go straight which will take you to NH47.

The Avinashi turn off is difficult to find as there are no markings. Its the second left after Avinashi bypass (I guess) and is on an upward incline. That road takes you directly to Mangalam and Palladam. Directions to Pollachi are well marked in Palladam town.

Its better to ask for directions within Pollachi. Ask for Kollangode. Once you cross checkpost, roads are somewhat marked with signboards.

Last edited by arjithin : 7th October 2014 at 23:54. Reason: Typo
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 00:15   #7673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Route I always take :- Hosur - Thoppur - Omalur - Tharamangalam - Sankari town -Avinshi bypass - Mangalam - Palladam - Pollachi - Meenakshipuram - Nemmara - Vadakkancheri - Chalakudy.
Hey, Thanks a lot Arjithin.

so this entire route is through these towns right? Do I need to enter Hosur town to proceed towards Thoppur and further ahead? Also, while coming back from Angamaly, while nearing towards vadakancheri, after the place where there are lots of chips stalls, I had seen a board towards right that says Vadakancheri town. do I take that and continue?

Also, which hotels do you recommend on this route?

The first time that i travelled on the NH from Bangalore to angamaly (about 4 years back), I vaguely remember to have seen a board indicating right turn towards Palakkad. Not sure if that was before Salem, or between Salem and Coimbatore. Would you know which route is that?

Appreciate your inputs Sorry for shooting too many questions!
Old 8th October 2014, 09:13   #7674
Senior - BHPian

My comments to your Qs are inline

Quote:

so this entire route is through these towns right? Do I need to enter Hosur town to proceed towards Thoppur and further ahead?

Yes, but remember, these are not BIG towns. NH7 passes through Hosur town.

Also, while coming back from Angamaly, while nearing towards vadakancheri, after the place where there are lots of chips stalls, I had seen a board towards right that says Vadakancheri town. do I take that and continue?
You can take this, but my suggestion is to go further towards Palakad. Around 2 km from Hotel Diana (which is a prominent landmark in Vadakancheri ), you can take right and join Kollangode route. You will see a small bridge and this right turn comes before that IIRC.

Also, which hotels do you recommend on this route?

Hotel Sakthi is there in Pollachi town ( coimbatore road) and Hotel Aariyas High in Palladam ( Coimbatore road) and those are the ones I tried so far. My normal routine while going to KL is to have breakfast from Hotel Annalakshmi at Perundurai ( 4 hrs from Whitefield) and then have a tender coconut after Pollachi (2.25 hrs). On return, first stop is at Perundurai

The first time that i travelled on the NH from Bangalore to angamaly (about 4 years back), I vaguely remember to have seen a board indicating right turn towards Palakkad. Not sure if that was before Salem, or between Salem and Coimbatore. Would you know which route is that?

This probably is at Thoppur at the foothills of Ghat road, directing to take the Mettur - Bhavani route. I haven't been in this route for a while and most of the regular travellers in this forum don't seem to take this route.
Appreciate your inputs Sorry for shooting too many questions!
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 09:24   #7675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
so this entire route is through these towns right? Do I need to enter Hosur town to proceed towards Thoppur and further ahead? Also, while coming back from Angamaly, while nearing towards vadakancheri, after the place where there are lots of chips stalls, I had seen a board towards right that says Vadakancheri town. do I take that and continue?
This link answers all your questions:

http://goo.gl/maps/iQGM1

You don't have to enter Hosur town, you continue along the highway itself.

Coming from Thrissur side, you can take a right immediately after the bridge at Vadakkancherry (Mangalam Palam), to take the Pollachi SH.

Quote:
You would find that board at point C in the map - this route would take you through Mecheri, Mettur, Bhavani and then merge onto NH-47
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 09:28   #7676
BHPian

Did Kochi to Bangalore trip yesterday, was in double mind to take Bandipur route or the TN route due to Jayalalitha bail issues. Took the Tamilnadu route and it was peaceful.
Started from Aluva at 02:00 PM and reached Bangalore at midnight. Roads were descent all throughout. Here is the route taken :-
Aluva-Pollachi- Avinashi-Salem-Dharmapuri-Palacode-Rayakottai-Attibele-Bangalore.
Missed the turn at Sankagiri and continued on Salem route, a mistake due to the bad traffic at Salem. Experienced my worst Rains at Avinashi for 30 mins courtesy cyclone Hudhud. Driving in the night on the Palacode to Rayakottai was no fun due to rains and sparse traffic and from Rayakottai to Attibele it was worse since it rained continuously and did not saw more then 3-4 vehicles throughout this stretch. Roads were good though.
Old 10th October 2014, 11:54   #7677
Distinguished - BHPian

Did Goa to Kochi over the last two days.

Route taken and road conditions as follows:
08 Oct 14:
Goa- Honnavar- Jog- Arisikere. (400 Kms)

Goa to Honnavar- Good, smooth tarmac.
Honnavar to Jog- A little broken stretch of 10 Kms or so in between. The drive was good. The greenery has started shifting to dull green from lush green. The grass has started drying up.
Jog falls- The falls is not full as the monsoons has already retreated. The view however is still awesome.
Jog- Arsikere- Excellent roads and scenic with lovely greens around. An average speed of 80 Kms/hr is easily achievable.

09 Oct 14
Arsikere- Dimbham- Sathy- Annur- Karumathampatty- Pollachi- Vadakkenchery- Kochi 600 Kms

Arsikere to Mysore- Tarmac is in excellent condition.
Mysore to Sathyamangalam- Nanjangud to Chamrajnagar has some bad, broken, dilapidated and abandoned stretches. The road from Chamrajnagar forward is in fantastic shape.
The Dimbham ghats are also in prime conditon with some awesome views from hilltops.
Sathy- Annur- Karumathampatty- Somanur- Pollachi-
  1. Good roads again. I found a little bit difficulty in getting into the road which leads away from Annur to Karumathampatty. At Annur , the left by road was blocked saying it is one way and at the main junction, the policewala did not allow me to take the sharp left. I had to go ahead, take a round about in the circle and come back.
  2. The traffic density in the junction did not help my cause either.
  3. I also transited through a couple of busy junctions between Annur and Karumathampatty.
  4. Somanur Railway Over Bridge is opened and was very convenient

Pollachi- Crossing across the town of Pollachi was tricky with dug up and uprooted roads which appears to be under construction. Especially near the railway crossing. I feel that I could've by passed the junction but I missed it somehow. Pollachi junction is best avoided if transiting through.
Pollachi to Kochi- Was a breeze till Vadakkenchery. I did not join up at Alathur since it was opined here that the roads were broken.
As soon as I touched Vadakkenchery, the truck traffic slowed me dwon considerably. (around 2100 hrs).
Road condition from Vadakkenchery to Mannuthy is okay and easily navigable. However, the truck traffic might slow you down and also the roads are not wide enough for a highway.

Last edited by dhanushmenon : 10th October 2014 at 12:08. Reason: formatting
dhanushmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2014, 17:37   #7678
BHPian

Had to make an unplanned trip to cochin. Started from chennai, navallur at 830 pm, took the trichy - karur - dharapuram - pollachi route. Was confused whether to skip trichy by deviating at peramblur but then decided against, and it was a good decision. Excellent roads all through out and finally reached edappally at 7am.
Old 12th October 2014, 16:28   #7679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Had to make an unplanned trip to cochin. Started from chennai, navallur at 830 pm, took the trichy - karur - dharapuram - pollachi route. Was confused whether to skip trichy by deviating at peramblur but then decided against, and it was a good decision. Excellent roads all through out and finally reached edappally at 7am.
I suppose this was an overnight drive. Hope it was not taxing.
Old 12th October 2014, 17:05   #7680
BHPian

The Kalady bridge (between Angamaly and Perumbavoor on SH 1) repairs have been completed and has been opened for traffic since 6th Oct.

Most Viewed