Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2014, 09:51   #7831
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Please update the road conditions from Bengaluru to Bhawani via Mettur Dam and after that onto to Coimbatore. Not taken this route for years or should I follow the beaten track Via Salem/Sankari?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you want a more scenic route why don't you try Bangalore-Kanakapura-Chamarajanagar-Dimbam ghats-Sathyamangalam-Annur-Karumathampatti (here you can get back onto NH47)-Coimbatore
No point taking the Annur-Karumathampatti road if the destination is Coimbatore.

If travelling to the northern or western suburbs of CBE, it is best to go on NH209 itself even though the traffic in the last 10-15 kms would be heavy.

If going towards the eastern part of Coimbatore, a better option would be to take the Kurumbapalayam-Coimbatore Airport road which has much less traffic.

Last edited by kala : 17th November 2014 at 09:54. Reason: Fixed mismatched quotes
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 10:11   #7832
Team-BHP Support

Another fast option for north CBE is 4-lane till Avinashi and then take the road to Annur-CBE. Gives one the comfort of 4-lane as well.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 12:17   #7833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Did you do this route (Theni-Kumily-Ettumanur) ? How are the roads ?
I did this route last Friday.

For the onward trip, I was not sure of Dindigul-Theni section and hence ended up taking Dindigul-Madurai-Theni (additional KMs ofcourse) .
Only pain point can be navigating through Madurai but then Google maps did a fantastic job in taking me through Madurai.

Roads from Theni -lower camp are so -so, meaning, there are good and bad sections.
it is not that bad but then they will slow you down .Night driving can be bit difficult.
For the return trip, I decided to take normal route(Theni-dindigul). Surprisingly, this section is better compared to Theni-Lower camp but then you still have bad patches
But since it was a day driving, it was kind of game where in you see how to position the wheels so that you get some patch of good road in the bad section.

Route that I took :
onward trip Navalur-Thiruporur-Chengalpet-Trichy-Madurai-Theni-Kumily-Kottayam

Return : Kottayam-Kumily-Theni-Dindigul-Trichy-Chengalpet-Navalur

On the return trip, I could see there were lot of police checking on the Kumily-Theni section and finally, they stopped me as well, but then it turned out to be an appreciation activity by the cops.
They are randomly stopping all those who are wearing seat-belts, and then affixing a sticker on the car which reads "Theni Police appreciates your gesture in wearing seatbelts"
joecherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 14:28   #7834
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Another fast option for north CBE is 4-lane till Avinashi and then take the road to Annur-CBE. Gives one the comfort of 4-lane as well.
How is traffic on Annur-Coimbatore route ? Does this route take one to Ganapathy area in Coimbatore ?
Old 17th November 2014, 17:44   #7835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is traffic on Annur-Coimbatore route ? Does this route take one to Ganapathy area in Coimbatore ?
The traffic is fairly heavy during the day - especially as you near the city.

Yes - NH209 takes you directly to the Ganapathy area and then Gandhipuram bus stand a little bit further.
Old 19th November 2014, 13:11   #7836
Senior - BHPian

To all travellers who take the Palakkad->Ottapalam->Shornur->Cheruthuruthy Bridge->Vadakkancheri->Thrissur route..

What is the status of toll collection at Cheruthuruthy Bridge? The amount is a pittance, Rs.2/- one-way. But I have seen lots of vehicles who just go pass through the toll booth. Last year I also remember saying a board put up by a local political out fit that "Ayyappa Devotees need NOT pay the tolls".

I have a vague feeling that the toll collection may be going beyond the completion date. Long distance vehicles may be the regular toll payers, while locals just ignore it.

I plan to file an RTI Application to figure this out, but if any one has more upto date and relevant information, it may save me the trouble .
Old 19th November 2014, 13:52   #7837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
To all travellers who take the Palakkad->Ottapalam->Shornur->Cheruthuruthy Bridge->Vadakkancheri->Thrissur route..

What is the status of toll collection at Cheruthuruthy Bridge? The amount is a pittance, Rs.2/- one-way. But I have seen lots of vehicles who just go pass through the toll booth. Last year I also remember saying a board put up by a local political out fit that "Ayyappa Devotees need NOT pay the tolls".

I have a vague feeling that the toll collection may be going beyond the completion date. Long distance vehicles may be the regular toll payers, while locals just ignore it.
Even I'm curious to know
Off late even I'm not paying the fee in-spite of having KA registered vehicle. My in laws house is at Chelakkara and my cousin brothers have told that people collecting the toll wont bother much if we don't stop for payment. So this gives me a feeling that the money collected is ending up at wrong hands.

PS: Not sure you've noticed the bridge now, it is in a pathetic state with many pot holes on the bridge itself.
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 15:11   #7838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...I have a vague feeling that the toll collection may be going beyond the completion date. Long distance vehicles may be the regular toll payers, while locals just ignore it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Off late even I'm not paying the fee...
Though I'm not a regular, I do take that route once in a while. Haven't bothered to pay the toll. This, from what I heard, is like the Athupalam toll booth in CBE. I don't bother to stop at the latter toll booth as well, when I'm on my way to/back from CBE.

Good luck with the RTI
Old 19th November 2014, 17:54   #7839
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure about the Mettur-Bhavani route, haven't taken that in years.
The 4 lane is almost complete all the way to coimbatore so that is definitely an option.

If you want a more scenic route why don't you try Bangalore-Kanakapura-Chamarajanagar-Dimbam ghats-Sathyamangalam-Annur-Karumathampatti (here you can get back onto NH47)-Coimbatore
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I had been on the mettur-bhavani route in aug 2013. it was a treat to drive. Recently in april 2014 a frind of mine had been on this stretch. He said the roads were good to drive.
You can expect traffic on this stretch courtesy the lorries.To go to Coimbatore you have 2 options

Via Hosur, Krishnagiri,Thoppur,Mettur,Ammapettai,Athani,Sathy and Annur, provided your destination is North Coimbatore.

Via Hosur, Krishnagiri,Thoppur,Omalur,Tharamangalam,Sankagiri and Avinashi, provided your destination is South Coimbatore.

More details of my trip. (refer post no 668)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3377785
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions but sorry for the delay as i started early on 17th morning.Took the Mettur route-great roads with 99% of the surface good and you can easily do 80-100 kmph at stretches. Will give details in a while. At Sathy turned onto SH 15 to Mettupallyam and then on to Wellington.
Judemayne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 15:30   #7840
Distinguished - BHPian

I was challaned by kerala police for not carrying insurance document during my recent wayanad trip.

I always make sure to carry all the car related documents in my car. Before this trip, while cleaning the car, I took all the documents out and missed to keep the insurance document back. During the return journey, while exiting wayanad, Kerala traffic police stopped me and asked for all the documents. Since I was not having the insurance document they asked me to pay a fine of Rs 1000. I was willing to show the insurance copy from my email but they didn't agree. And then after I started insisting for a receipt for the fine they asked me to pay Rs. 300. A good lesson for me as well.

Here are the documents which they requested,
- Driving License
- RTO document/card
- Emission Certificate(If the car is more than one year old)
- Insurance document.

So, please make sure to have all these documents and other related documents always.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 15:45   #7841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I was challaned by kerala police for not carrying insurance document during my recent wayanad trip.
Since I was not having the insurance document they asked me to pay a fine of Rs 1000. I was willing to show the insurance copy from my email but they didn't agree. And then after I started insisting for a receipt for the fine they asked me to pay Rs. 300.
Surprised to see that the fine amount got reduced when you asked for a receipt . In all other places it is generally the opposite. Did a bit of scouting (on the net).
1. Sec. 196 M.V Act provides a fine of Rs.1000/- for driving a vehicle without insurance.
2. Sec. 158 r/w 177 MV Act provides a fine of Rs.100 (first offence) or Rs.300 (second offence) if the driver of the vehicle fails to produce the certificate of Insurance when demanded by a police officer in uniform.

So as I see it Kerala Police believed that you did have your vehicle insured so did not go for Sec 196, but since you could not produce it on-the-spot went for the higher amount of fine as per Sec 158. A bit happy to find that no offers for a bribe was given or taken .

I generally have these documents all kept in a small file. One file with all Xerox copies, and another with all originals. But time and again I remind myself to replace the correct file before starting a journey.

Last edited by sachinpk : 20th November 2014 at 15:46.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 19:39   #7842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
And then after I started insisting for a receipt for the fine they asked me to pay Rs. 300.
Quote:
Surprised to see that the fine amount got reduced when you asked for a receipt . So as I see it Kerala Police believed that you did have your vehicle insured so did not go for Sec 196, but since you could not produce it on-the-spot went for the higher amount of fine as per Sec 158. A bit happy to find that no offers for a bribe was given or taken .
I still have a doubt if Kerala police have issued a receipt for Rs. 300. The fine has not reduced, but arun josie might have been asked to pay a bribe. But, talking about the MV Sections, how many policemen know which section applies to which offence? All they know is, what offence and how much is the fine to be collected.
Old 20th November 2014, 21:07   #7843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
I still have a doubt if Kerala police have issued a receipt for Rs. 300. The fine has not reduced, but arun josie might have been asked to pay a bribe.
We will have to wait for Arun Josie to comment on that. Because only he can confirm that. And again that would be his opinion. I interpreted my way because he said, he asked for a receipt and the fine amount was reduced.

Quote:
But, talking about the MV Sections, how many policemen know which section applies to which offence? All they know is, what offence and how much is the fine to be collected.
Many of the offences get compounded using Sec 177 M.V Act. I have been fined at least 10 times by K.P till date. For each time, in the receipt (TR-5 form) they had clearly written the MV Act sections which were used. Infact, there was a directive from their own higher ups, that they should NOT just use the MV Act Sections in the receipt. Because the people don't understand why the fine was levied. Police officers are to explain you the reasons why you are getting fined. Police men in this case would be certainly better than the civilians as they also have to appear in court for such offences (if it gets contested). Very rarely have I seen cases getting thrown out because wrong sections were used.
Old 20th November 2014, 21:18   #7844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I generally have these documents all kept in a small file. One file with all Xerox copies, and another with all originals. But time and again I remind myself to replace the correct file before starting a journey.
I usually carry only the insurance card issued by insurance company (Bajaj Allianz) in my wallet and had once produced it to police when I was caught for over-speeding on Palakkad-Ottapalam road last year. They did not seem to have issues with it. I find it easier to carry it than all the paper documents. Except for the PUC, everything else is in my wallet.

Btw, we have to keep in mind that Rishiraj Singh has moved out of Transport Dept. So dont expect much rigour in the enforcement. I already hear that most of the speed cameras has stopped working in Kerala.

Last edited by vasoo : 20th November 2014 at 21:24.
Old 21st November 2014, 00:13   #7845
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
I still have a doubt if Kerala police have issued a receipt for Rs. 300. The fine has not reduced, but arun josie might have been asked to pay a bribe.
Quote:
We will have to wait for Arun Josie to comment on that. Because only he can confirm that. And again that would be his opinion. I interpreted my way because he said, he asked for a receipt and the fine amount was reduced.
I have a receipt so I think its not a bribe.. However the amount doesn't match the act/section mentioned by you here. Anyways will post the proof here by tomorrow.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks