Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2014, 08:45   #7921
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
In case one is driving very early, stick to Mysore road and drive to Srirangapatna.
Why not turn off at Mandya itself towards SH 33 and onwards to T. Narasipura/Ch. Nagar? Bad road?
Old 8th December 2014, 08:54   #7922
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Why not turn off at Mandya itself towards SH 33 and onwards to T. Narasipura/Ch. Nagar? Bad road?
Possible. But I dont know the Mandya-Bannur road condition. But somewhere I remember reading Srirangapatna-Bannur being very good. (Dont recollect which thread it was).

EDIT: This is one thread that I remember: (But some how I am still missing the info on Srirangapatna-Bannur)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...road-trip.html

PS: That left is the entrance to the base of the Karighatta hill. And the road looked quite good at the start.

Last edited by ampere : 8th December 2014 at 08:56.
Old 8th December 2014, 11:24   #7923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Puzhakkal-Ayyanthole Civil Lines Road-West Fort Junction- Kalvari Road-
Poothole Road- SH 22. Only doubt is, is there a railway overbridge at Vanchikulam ?

Thanks.
sapven, there is no overbridge at Vanchikulam and infact you may have to come through azheekodan road- rail overbridge- ksrtc bus stand and pass through busy koorkkanchery junction.

Though all roads (atleast that i know) will have to pass through railway gate..i would suggest you take a right turn from ayyanthole civil line road (before reaching westfort junction) to get into college road/achangadi and straight to vadookkara (via aranattukara) and right to nedupuzha road to hit kodungallur road. Here also there is a railway gate at vadookkara, but except for a stop at gate if you are unfortunate, you will be able to bypass all city traffic.
murajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 12:57   #7924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post

And here is the link for the alternate route that I tried on Saturday and seemed very decent.
http://goo.gl/maps/7Yzqa
Great advise. One more question, how is the road condition between Chamrajnagar and Gundlupet?
Old 8th December 2014, 14:48   #7925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Great advise. One more question, how is the road condition between Chamrajnagar and Gundlupet?
The road between Chamrajnagar and Gundlupet is rough and patchy with some undulations here and there,but manageable with any hatch.Better to drive cautiously and watch out for potholes and unmarked speed breakers.
sayoojl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 15:34   #7926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Seems to have improved somewhat since my trip a month ago. They have done certainly some patchwork on the potholes in the Terakanambi-Gundlupet sector, there aren't too many of them now.

But then the road is still kind of rough, so exceeding 80kmph isn't that advisable. Still you can manage to do the 34 kms in about 40 minutes or so without too much of an issue.
kala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 10:17   #7927
BHPian

Quote:
Ref option 2, there is a bridge between Kollegal & Malavalli whose most recent status is not known - whether it is open for all traffic, or only for LMV and below, or completely closed.

Last week I had been to Palghat again via Kanakpura-Chamrajnagar. That bridge is closed and the traffic is deviated towards T-Narasipura road and its a nightmare

Last edited by girimajiananth : 9th December 2014 at 10:19.
girimajiananth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 11:15   #7928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Last week I had been to Palghat again via Kanakpura-Chamrajnagar. That bridge is closed and the traffic is deviated towards T-Narasipura road and its a nightmare
I tried plotting the route in Google Maps. Would that be the route which I need to take? There is a road from Kollegal to T.Narasipura, and from there I can reach Malavalli. Is that the route which is considered as the alternate route?

Google Maps link

So looks like for some time, the hump infested Bengaluru-Mysore state highway is the only option available. How I dread that road.
Old 9th December 2014, 11:20   #7929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
So looks like for some time, the hump infested Bengaluru-Mysore state highway is the only option available. How I dread that road.
From Bangalore till Mandya, the number of speed breakers is bearable. Beyond Mandya, driving is a nightmare especially in the night.
Old 9th December 2014, 11:21   #7930
BHPian

Quote:
, the hump infested Bengaluru-Mysore state
highway is the only option available. How I dread that road.
The hump infested Bangalore -Mysore tarmac road would be better than this route. The T Narasipura Kollegal route is quite bad. It is nothing but mud and boulder stones . We were tossed around inside the car. Are you going to Kerala ? Where exactly is your destination ?
Old 9th December 2014, 12:28   #7931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The road from the beginning of the Cauvery bridge (where the barriers are now in place) towards T.Narsipur is not in good condition, The diversion towards Talakad much earlier - (close to Malavalli) - is much better.

Quote:
I tried plotting the route in Google Maps. Would that be the route which I need to take? There is a road from Kollegal to T.Narasipura, and from there I can reach Malavalli. Is that the route which is considered as the alternate route?

Google Maps link

Any particular reason why you asked GM to route you through Kollegal ? Chamarajnagar - T.Narsipur is one straight road, and it is in excellent condition. Going via Kollegal will easily add another half an hour to the travel time and you also end up having to go through those narrow village roads. Also the road from T.Narsipur to Malavalli via Kirugavalu is in terrible condition - better to go via Talakad. (See my post in another thread about that route : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3597351 )

Quote:
The hump infested Bangalore -Mysore tarmac road would be better than this route. The T Narasipura Kollegal route is quite bad. It is nothing but mud and boulder stones . We were tossed around inside the car. Are you going to Kerala ? Where exactly is your destination ?
Try the route suggested in my post on the previous page. Took me 3 hours to get from NICE road/Kanakapura road junction to Gundlupet, which is the same as I used to take via the Cauvery bridge and Kollegal.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3597348

Last edited by kala : 9th December 2014 at 12:36.
Old 9th December 2014, 13:55   #7932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth
Are you going to Kerala ? Where exactly is your destination ?
Generally it would be to Calicut/Kozhikode, via the Sulthan Bathery route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala
Any particular reason why you asked GM to route you through Kollegal ?
Habit, that is all. Generally all my previous trips were on Kanakpura->Malavalli->Kollegala town->Chamaraja Nagar. So did not think about a route which would be bypeass Kollegall and Malavalli completely.

Will check out the route you suggested. But may be during the next upcoming trip I may not be going towards Calicut, so will have to wait for a bit more time. Any idea when the bridge would get renovated and open up for traffic?
Old 9th December 2014, 16:13   #7933
BHPian

Hello All:

Looking for advise on the best route from Bangalore to Trivandrum....my initial thought was to avoid the Salem- Coimbatore, Kerala route and to go via Nagercoil. Is the best route?...any good restaurants along the way since I am traveling with family?. I plan to start on the 19th morning from Bangalore. I haven't travelled by road to Trivandrum in the last 5 years and so looking for some advice.

Any and all advice appreciated.
Old 9th December 2014, 16:25   #7934
BHPian

Road repair work is going on in Kottakal.

So expect huge traffic jam between Changuvetty junction and Edarikode junction. Today is second day. Another 2 days yet to go.
ortho_surgeon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 15:56   #7935
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this. I have a couple of questions about this route:

1. You say it is sedan-OK. Mine's a Civic, which has pretty low GC - do you reckon I'll have a problem?

2. Is this route family-friendly? Does it feel unsafe, with miles of lonely roads with hardly any human presence?
I drive Honda City very regularly on this route and faced no problem. Civic should do just as well.

Its pretty safe. The first part (upto Talakad) is the standard route everyone takes to Talakadu. The 2nd part from Talakadu to T.Narasipura is a very regularly used road too for folks from Mysore to get to Talakadu. I've never felt unsafe on these roads (but then I'm from Mysore and have been roaming around in these roads for a long time).

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks