Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2015, 07:15   #8206
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

I was planning to drive to Cochin today but then I heard that there is some harthal planned for tomorrow. Am not sure whether it is allover KL or some specific towns ? Any information on this ?
Old 23rd January 2015, 07:41   #8207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
I was planning to drive to Cochin today but then I heard that there is some harthal planned for tomorrow. Am not sure whether it is allover KL or some specific towns ? Any information on this ?
The hartal is by BJP, state-wide, and is on 27/1. I'm sure you'll reach Kochi long before that if you start today. :-)
Old 23rd January 2015, 09:42   #8208
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The hartal is by BJP, state-wide, and is on 27/1. I'm sure you'll reach Kochi long before that if you start today. :-)
Ah, hope there's no hartal planned for Saturday 24 Jan or Monday 26 Jan ?
Old 23rd January 2015, 09:51   #8209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Kerala hartals although sudden are carefully planned. Either before or after a long weekend. Or in the middle of the week during a no holiday season
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 10:14   #8210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The primary purpose of a hartal is to put the general public to maximum inconvenience. How can that objective be met, if the day is a weekend day or a public holiday?
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:20   #8211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After Mannuthy, you could have taken Vadakkencherry - Nemmara - Kollengode - Pollachi - Palladam - Avinashi and then NH 47 upto Salem, then NH 7 back to Bangalore (from Avinashi it would have been the same route you took).
I felt the same about the Palakkad - Alathur stretch, quite dangerous given that the complete and incomplete sections suddenly alternate without warnings/signages
Yup - but had to do a quick pit stop at palakkad, so could not avoid going to palakkad.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:49   #8212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
As of current TV News; Local Hartals are going on today at Palai and Nadapuram with some sort of small attack incidents. Don't know what the scene will be for tomorrow! Local Hartals are declared as and when required without giving much of a notice to the public.

However, a State wide Hartal from 0600 to 1800 Hrs on 27th Jan 2015 is planned and declared by BJP.
Old 26th January 2015, 14:14   #8213

Folks,

An update on road condition to Kerala . Just returned back today early morning from a Bangalore - Kerala (multiple locations) road trip .

On the onward journey , tried the Tenkasi route via Punalur to Pattanamthitta. it's in pretty good condition . There are potholes here and there but nothing that would make you slow down much. There are a couple of streches of bad road / broken road but they are for only 50 m or so.The pace is slow in the towns but along the empty stretches you can really keep up `100 kmph. I tried this route as as alternative to the Nagercoil - Trivandrum stretch. I had tried the Kumily route on a previous trip but it just takes too much time . On the whole , this will be my preferred route or all road trips to Trivandrum / Pattanamthitta.

On the return journey , I took the NH 47 thinking it will be reasonably fast as Monday the 26th is also a holiday . Got out from Alapuzha at 1415 hrs and crossed over into Tamil Nadu around 1940 hrs . This is with me bypassing Walayar completely by using Vadakancherry- Alathur -Pudunagaram-Chittur -Pichanur route . The route was okay but not as fast as i expected .I was able to pick up pace once inside Tamil Nadu.
Hope this information is helpful.
Old 26th January 2015, 15:27   #8214
BHPian

Scenic road to Guruvayoor from Mysore

Hi,

Need suggestions on a (relatively) scenic road from Mysore to Guruvayoor for my upcoming bike (Bullet) trip. On the return I plan to take the familiar Guruvayoor-Nilambur-Bandipura-Mysore. Thought of trying a different route while going. I see the following:

1. Mysore-Gonikoppa-Iritty-Thalasery-Calicut-Guruvayoor
2. Mysore-Manathwady-Kalpetta-Calicut-Guruvayoor

Which is a better scenic drive? How about the road conditions? Any other route? Pl. help.

Prasad
Old 26th January 2015, 17:43   #8215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Hi,

Need suggestions on a (relatively) scenic road from Mysore to Guruvayoor for my upcoming bike (Bullet) trip. On the return I plan to take the familiar Guruvayoor-Nilambur-Bandipura-Mysore. Thought of trying a different route while going. I see the following:

1. Mysore-Gonikoppa-Iritty-Thalasery-Calicut-Guruvayoor
2. Mysore-Manathwady-Kalpetta-Calicut-Guruvayoor

Which is a better scenic drive? How about the road conditions? Any other route? Pl. help.

Prasad
Calicut - guruvayoor is no fun. Very heavy traffic and maniac buses. So don't think any scenic benefit of the wayanad section makes it worth while to take these routes. Also scenery wise it will be pretty much same as the nilambur route.

Maybe chamrajnagar- dimbam- sathy- cbe/pollachi and on to Kerala can be considered?

Road conditions are very good for all these options.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2015, 18:28   #8216
Distinguished - BHPian

Road Update - Cochin to Trivandrum (Kovalam)

Took the usual route (NH-47). I dont see any reason to take any alternate route. The road is good all the way except for a few patches near kayamkulam. Of course, there's traffic but can always make up enroute. I started the drive on 24th during the peak time (left Kadavanthara at 9am) and reached the resort (Chowara) at 2pm (1 hour break). My return leg was easy (being an holiday - 26th Jan). Started at 12pm and reached kadavanthara at 5pm (45min lunch break and 30 mins shopping). Traffic was relatively less but there was traffic in Alleppey (as always).

The drive was pretty relaxing and I didnt find any highway patrols/Interceptors along the entire stretch on both the days (that's strange) and I think most of the cams dont work as the roads are now resurfaced.
Old 26th January 2015, 20:12   #8217
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Road Update - Cochin to Trivandrum (Kovalam)
I think most of the cams dont work as the roads are now resurfaced.
er .. did not quite understand the connection between the cams and the resurfacing - kindly elaborate
Old 26th January 2015, 20:17   #8218
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Did Bangalore-Palakkad-Bangalore this past weekend.
Took the Avinashi bypass-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollchi-Palakkad route. Excellent all the way.
A relative took the Coimbatore bypass-Palakkad route and mentioned that only L&T bypass and then about 15Km upto Walayar was bad, rest is good as per him. I still did not want to take a chance so took the same Pollachi route on the way back.
Old 26th January 2015, 20:22   #8219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
er .. did not quite understand the connection between the cams and the resurfacing - kindly elaborate
The speed sensors are laid on the road surface. When the road was resurfaced, multiple layers of bitumen was laid on top of it making the sensors useless or many sections were opened up and relaid.
Old 26th January 2015, 20:42   #8220
BHPian

Any latest recent information on the Kanakapura - Chamaraj Nagar route where they had the bridge near Shivanasamudram closed for renovation? Is there an alternate to this, except the normal BLR - MYS highway.
Also would appreciate if anyone could share the current road condition on the Nilambur route.

Most Viewed