Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2015, 21:11   #8581
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Remember reading in today's newspaper that the monsoons are expected to hit Kerala coast few days earlier, sometime around end of May.
With so much pre-season rain already, I just hope the roads hold up
NPV, the weatherman's prediction of rain worked 'as usual' and the rains slowed down considerably!

El Nino is almost there, so expect a attenuated monsoon beginning/progress, which means Kuthiran will hold up for some more time.
Old 15th May 2015, 21:25   #8582
Senior - BHPian

Those travelling between Kakkanad-Pattimattom-Muvattupuzha - A small bypass is going to be inaugurated starting from Kizhakkambalam market to Erumeli kavala/Sunita pady towards Pallikkara. Another update is Kakkanad-Wonder La-Pallikkara road is completely re-done with concrete blocks. Large apartment complexes in the route may have helped the cause.
Old 17th May 2015, 10:48   #8583
Senior - BHPian

Planning a Kolkata - Kochi drive starting May 23. Return drive will start on May 30. Hoping to give the monsoon a miss.
How much time should I factor in for the Coimbatore Kochi section assuming I start from around Vellore/Krishnagiri in the morning on a Monday.
Will be driving a Civic. Any bad sections?

Last edited by shuvc : 17th May 2015 at 10:49.
Old 17th May 2015, 10:59   #8584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Another update is Kakkanad-Wonder La-Pallikkara road is completely re-done with concrete blocks. Large apartment complexes in the route may have helped the cause.
The bit from Pallikara to the small bridge near Kadambra restaurant is still full of potholes though, do keep an eye out to avoid any nasty surprises!
Old 17th May 2015, 12:00   #8585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Planning a Kolkata - Kochi drive starting May 23. Return drive will start on May 30. Hoping to give the monsoon a miss.
How much time should I factor in for the Coimbatore Kochi section assuming I start from around Vellore/Krishnagiri in the morning on a Monday.
Will be driving a Civic. Any bad sections?
Krishnagiri-Coimbatore may take 3 hours and Coimbatore - Angamaly another 3 hours. If you leave Krishnagiri by 6am, you can reach Angamaly by noon and from there on the progress will be very slow due to Metro work/city traffic. You may take alternate routes to avoid Alwaye-Edappaly stretch depending ur destination.
Old 17th May 2015, 20:30   #8586
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if its reported earlier.. Those infamous speed/back breakers from Coimbatore bypass to chengalapalli bypass are all patched up. I drove both sides last week, and didn't notice any.

The last 10-12 km at the Coimbatore side is now with traffic only on one side of the 4lane road.

Sankari - tharamangalam - omalur road is rough at many places with Few sections very rough.

Last edited by arjithin : 17th May 2015 at 20:35.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 09:08   #8587
BHPian

Bypass Cochin Edapally

I would be travelling to Alleppy from Bangalore and would like to is there a shot cut route to bypass Cochin-Edapally . I have heard that the entire stretch from Alwaye is in a mess due to Metro work.
Old 18th May 2015, 10:51   #8588
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bypass Cochin Edapally

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
I would be travelling to Alleppy from Bangalore and would like to is there a shot cut route to bypass Cochin-Edapally . I have heard that the entire stretch from Alwaye is in a mess due to Metro work.
Earlier in the month when I was there, Google Maps directed me (on my way from Vaikom to Alwaye) via this route: Kundanoor Jn. towards Thevara > right turn towards MG Road > courts in Ernakulam > Beach Road > turn left again at the end towards Vallarpadam > turn right onto ICT Road > NH 47 at Kalamassery. I thought this road could be preferred in favour of the messy Vyttila-Palarivattom-Edappally route. It is probably longer but much nicer to drive on.
Old 18th May 2015, 11:20   #8589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Earlier in the month when I was there, Google Maps directed me (on my way from Vaikom to Alwaye) via this route: Kundanoor Jn. towards Thevara > right turn towards MG Road > courts in Ernakulam > Beach Road > turn left again at the end towards Vallarpadam > turn right onto ICT Road > NH 47 at Kalamassery. I thought this road could be preferred in favour of the messy Vyttila-Palarivattom-Edappally route. It is probably longer but much nicer to drive on.
From Vaikom, the easiest (and shortest) way to reach Kalamassery is Tripunithura - Irumpanam - Kakkanad (via Sea Port - Airport Road).
Old 18th May 2015, 12:07   #8590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
The last 10-12 km at the Coimbatore side is now with traffic only on one side of the 4lane road.
Can you elaborate on this one? I am planning to drive down to Palakkad tomorrow. Current plan is to just stick to highways and then peel off at Chandranagar to my target which is in Palakkad district.

The area you mentioned, is it the L&T byepass side, or the stretch between Coimbatore and Walayar border?
Old 18th May 2015, 12:21   #8591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Not sure if its reported earlier.. Those infamous speed/back breakers from Coimbatore bypass to chengalapalli bypass are all patched up. I drove both sides last week, and didn't notice any.

Sankari - tharamangalam - omalur road is rough at many places with Few sections very rough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Can you elaborate on this one? I am planning to drive down to Palakkad tomorrow. Current plan is to just stick to highways and then peel off at Chandranagar to my target which is in Palakkad district.

The area you mentioned, is it the L&T byepass side, or the stretch between Coimbatore and Walayar border?
I also noticed this 2 weeks back. Probably due to some finishing work. One side of the express way is closed and two way traffic is happening on the other side.

Stick to NH7 - NH47. No need to deviate.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 12:44   #8592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post

Nothing to worry. The 6 lane highway (the very first 10 km or so of cbe -Salem highway at cbe) is used for both side traffic after the toll booth location. There is enough space to Cruise at 80kmph or higher.
Old 18th May 2015, 13:18   #8593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Sandeep, what you heard is right. ICT Road (Container Road) is one option. Otherwise you may take Seaport Airport road. Those whoever goes to Kottayam side, I always suggest this road. But for Alleppey also you may go as follows:

Old Kalamassery Road (Take left from NH47) >> HMT Junction - take left >> Ernakulam Collectrate (Go straight at the Signal) >> Irumpanam (take right / third exit at roundana) >> SN Junction (Go Straight) >> Petta (Take left after Petta bridge >> Nucleus Mall >> Kundannur.

All Roads to Kerala-map_kalamassery_kundannur.jpg

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/HM...!1m0!3e0?hl=en

Time wise you may not get much advantage (especially after the office hours) , but you will get relieved from maddening traffic, especially between Palarivattam and Vytla junctions.
Old 18th May 2015, 15:17   #8594
BHPian

Dear friends,
I am going to take the Bangalore (SilkBoard) to Guruvayoor trip this coming weekend. Request you to please provide updates about the road and things to keep in mind.

I will be taking the Hosur - Salem - Walayar - Palakkad - Guruvayoor route.
The most likely start time will be 5:30 am from Silk Board Junction.

Estimated time to complete this stretch? Specially the road condition from Coimbatore bypass to Guruvayoor is requested.

This is the first time I am travelling in this sector, and request inputs from the team. I have posted this query in the Bangalore-Guruvayoor thread also, but need the information urgently. So posting in this thread.

Regards,
Karthik Iyer
Old 18th May 2015, 15:44   #8595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyer_2000 View Post
Dear friends,
I am going to take the Bangalore (SilkBoard) to Guruvayoor trip this coming weekend. Request you to please provide updates about the road and things to keep in mind.

I will be taking the Hosur - Salem - Walayar - Palakkad - Guruvayoor route.
The most likely start time will be 5:30 am from Silk Board Junction.

Regards,
Karthik Iyer
You can consider any of the below routes and my suggestion would be to stick with the firs one.

Route LINK

Second Route LINK

The first one is the usual NH 47 until Alathur then Pazhayanaur ~ Chelakara ~ Wadakkanchery (Right at Parlikad) ~ Kecheri ~ Guruvayoor temple.
This one is having good roads all the way except a small stretch between Madukarai and Walayar.

There isn't much difference on the second option from first and you wouldn't need to ask for much directions once you reach Palakkad ~ Pattambi road. Here I woould suggest you to skip entering Palakkad town by staying at NH47 untill Kuzhalmannam unlike the exit at Chandranagar. Crossing Palakkad Town may consume more time depending upon the time.

You have multiple options for food all along NH47.

The difference on time consumption wont be much between these options and should take somewhere close to 8 hours if you start early in the morning.
Cheers
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks