Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2015, 11:15   #8821
Team-BHP Support

Re: conoor to thrissur

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshmenon View Post
(1) Conoor-Metupalayam-Karamadai-Anaikatti-Kottathara-Mannarkkad-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Thrissur
Avoid. Not worth with family. And road also is broken at some points.

Quote:
(2) Conoor-Ooty-Nadugani-Edakkara-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Thrissur
(3) Conoor-Metupalayam-Annur-Karumathampatti-NH47-Thrissur (The old tried and tested route)
Would prefer the time and test routed as its less of ghats and winding roads as compared to the Nilambur option. Also you lose time crossing Ooty.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 12:36   #8822
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
How is the progress of the work between Walayar and Madukkarai? The current road seems to be patched up. Also, is the flyover after Coimbatore bypass while going towards Avinashi done?
Work is in progress soon after the (unnecessary) road-block/checkpost that you see after Walayar border. Though not as fast as how it was done for the Walayar-Vadakkenchery stretch, work is progressing at a good pace. The diversions have good surface for now.

I did see some work happening around the flyover at Neelambur, the short rough patch connecting the bypass to the well-laid highway is now done properly. Only those wanting to go inside CBE from Avinashi side will see a small, maybe 10metres of unpaved patch.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 16:17   #8823
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Any latest update on Chalakkudy - Athirappally - Valparai - Aliyar - Pollachi route?

Planning a late monsoon drive
Old 9th August 2015, 21:26   #8824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Hi All,

Any latest update on Chalakkudy - Athirappally - Valparai - Aliyar - Pollachi route?

The entire road is good, barring some 4 km stretch before Malakkapara, as per a friend who have drove this route recently.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 23:33   #8825
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I did this route at the end of June. The roads were good throughout except for the stretches near Athirapally, they were 70% broken but still manageable at slow speeds.

If you are going to travel with your family - plan to cross the Athirapally - Valparai stretch by noon if it rains. I tried to cross the Athirapally Checkpost at around 6pm(it was just about to close), but I was discouraged by the check post officials stating that since it was raining chances are that trees might have fallen and I might get stranded in the forest at night.

I stayed overnight in Athirapally and left in the morning only to get stuck in the middle of the forest for around 2 hours, reason being - the forest guards were clearing the roads off from the trees that fell overnight.

From Valparai, the roads are good throughout.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 12:06   #8826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
except for the stretches near Athirapally, they were 70% broken but still manageable at slow speeds.
Approximately what distance should be tackled on the broken roads? Hope its in Kerala side before the Vazhachaal check post.
Old 10th August 2015, 16:44   #8827
BHPian

Quote:
Approximately what distance should be tackled on the broken roads? Hope its in Kerala side before the Vazhachaal check post.
I don't remember exactly but it was between 5 - 10 km in the forest area before Athirapally falls. The roads were like bad overall and terrible every now and then. Yes it is before Vazhachal and Athirapally, Kerala side.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 19:32   #8828
Senior - BHPian

Cool. So route is clear all the way down till Aliyar dam.

Any update on roads to Anamalai from Aliyar dam? And further to Nenmara - Vadakkencherry?
Old 11th August 2015, 17:45   #8829
BHPian

Quote:

Any update on roads to Anamalai from Aliyar dam? And further to Nenmara - Vadakkencherry?
Had taken this road on Sunday for travelling from Pollachi to Guruvayur via Thrissur and the roads are in OK condition with potholes in some stretches due to top layer coming off. This is after Meenakshipuram from Pollachi
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 16:25   #8830
Senior - BHPian

Guys
its time for my annual Chennai - Palakkad road trip. as usual time to check on the route to take after Avinashi. Is it ok to proceed to the L&T bypass and go via Walayar or stick to Avinashi - Pollachi - Palakkad ?

Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 22:27   #8831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys
its time for my annual Chennai - Palakkad road trip. as usual time to check on the route to take after Avinashi. Is it ok to proceed to the L&T bypass and go via Walayar or stick to Avinashi - Pollachi - Palakkad ?

Thanks
To palakkad stick to the NH, its only 10km of bad stretch.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 11:32   #8832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys
Please take a look at this post for the condition of the roads. L&T bypass remains the same uneven surface and single toll booths opened despite long queues. The worst patch is right before entering Kerala, maybe 50m or so, where you must slow down to a crawl (even the KSRTC FPsand TNSTCs don't dare to zip past). Otherwise, the entire stretch between Madukkarai and Walayar is doable in about 30mins or less, depending on traffic. Since they've resumed road construction, there are a lot many diversions. I'd recommend checking with friends/relatives/online fora on the traffic condition at Walayar checkpost, as there were pretty long queues at the border last week, taking almost an hour to traverse the 3-4km. You can always take the Chavadi-Velanthavalam detour which is not as long as the Avinashi-Mangalam-Pollachi-Palakkad route.
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 10:07   #8833
BHPian

Has anyone travelled recently on the Dindigul-Theni-Kumily route ? How are the road conditions ?
Old 17th August 2015, 10:29   #8834
BHPian

Quote:
Guys

Thanks
Hi Narayan: You can take the Walayar route. Even with diversions, the road is OK now.
deemash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 11:56   #8835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Has anyone travelled recently on the Dindigul-Theni-Kumily route ? How are the road conditions ?
I had done this route nearly a month back. Click here to read the post

Most Viewed