Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2015, 19:47   #8926
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_k_u View Post
I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Kerala in October and would be taking the Dindigul-Theni-Kumbum-Kumily route. I am planning to stop-over at Kumily and stay overnight there. Is anybody here aware of any good/ reasonable/ safe-for-family hotels/ homestays in Kumily? My budget is around 1500/-.
Hotel Western Gatz in Theni (1300 Rs) is a good option which is just 30 meters from the highway.

If you are specifically looking for an overnight stay in Kumily then I would suggest 'Jungle Palace Homestay' which is closer to the Periyar Wild life sanctuary (Near lake Road). 1950/- Rs Tariff displayed in Makemytrip and Goibibo which would come around 1100 or 1000 after the discounts.
JohnyRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 20:25   #8927
BHPian

Many thanks JohnyRider for the pointers. Let me explore this further
Old 18th September 2015, 21:16   #8928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyRider View Post
Hotel Western Gatz in Theni (1300 Rs) is a good option which is just 30 meters from the highway.

If you are specifically looking for an overnight stay in Kumily then I would suggest 'Jungle Palace Homestay' which is closer to the Periyar Wild life sanctuary (Near lake Road). 1950/- Rs Tariff displayed in Makemytrip and Goibibo which would come around 1100 or 1000 after the discounts.

I modified my plan and decided to stay in Theni. Checked with western gatz and their rate starts from 1850 + taxes for a standard Ac room. Found a deal in goibibo and booked it for 1856 all inclusive (including extra guest charge for my 8 year old kid as they charge for kids above 5 years).
Old 18th September 2015, 22:02   #8929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
I modified my plan and decided to stay in Theni. Checked with western gatz and their rate starts from 1850 + taxes for a standard Ac room. Found a deal in goibibo and booked it for 1856 all inclusive (including extra guest charge for my 8 year old kid as they charge for kids above 5 years).
Current price: -

Goibibo 1312/Rs (inclusive of tax). Pls apply the coupon code SEP15 in the 'I have a Promo code' section.

Makemytrip 1281/ Rs (inclusive of tax). Pls apply the coupon code MMTGO.
Old 19th September 2015, 11:39   #8930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
My nephew who travelled that way (from Wayanad to Palghat) a couple of weeks ago reported that even the Mukkam-Thamarassery stretch wasn't too great. Not sure if that also was part of the area that had roadwork ongoing which you say has been completed now.
The bad road section started a bit before Mukkam and continued on to the Mukkam-Thamarassery stretch. The road work is completed as of now - my cousin who took this stretch confirmed that the whole distance is good now
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 09:57   #8931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
I don't think .... Hope it helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
This ro....ute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I second...... yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Hope am.....st avoided
I took the route as following

Coimbatore-Walayar-Palakkad-Mundur-Mannarkad-Perindhalmanna-Malapurram bye pass- Ramanattukara-Atholi-Thiruvangoor-Vadakara-Thalassery-Kannur

I started late in the morning so I thought I will give this route a try

Coimbatore-Walayar
The roads are good upto the NH and then diversions galore all the way to the Kerala border.

Walayar-Palakkad
Toll road with 45 rs to be paid. No complaints on the road surface and lesser number of two wheelers coming the wrong way on the NH compared to my last visit 6 months ago.

Palakkad-Mundur-Mannarkad
Good road surface and sparse traffic but there are maniac goods carrier jeeps being driven like they are in a hurry to meet the maker.

Mannarkad-Perindhalmanna-Malapurram bye pass
There was a small traffic jam at Perindhalmanna but I crossed it soon.

Malapurram bye pass- Ramanattukara
Constant traffic with road surface being good.

Ramanattukara-Atholi-Thiruvangoor
The bye pass has a diversion to Atholi and then to Thiruvangoor and this small road was heavy on traffic and the road surface at places was very bad and I had to slow down to crawling speeds.

Vadakara-Thalassery-Kannur
After joining the NH at Thiruvangoor it started raining and I had to travel in convey as the traffic was heavy and the winding roads did not permit overtaking. Mahe was also choc-a-block and finally reached Kannur almost 8.30 hours from Coimbatore.
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 15:04   #8932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
Travelled through this area few days back. Its better to use Shoranur-Palakkad stretch than Kuthiran. As the roads on both side became 4 lane, this short stretch now looks so congested and you have to drive like a convoy model for most of that part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Heard from the NHAI director (who handles Kuthiran section ) that the tentative date of completion is March 2017 including the tunnel. He also indicates that patch repairs have been done on the route in the last 4-5 days so the road is motorable. However folks who travel on that route often say the route is quite bad. Anyone been on this route in the last 4-5 days and if so what is the road condition ?

Drove from Bangalore (Whitefield) to Vaikom on Sep 16th

Start time - 5:00 AM. End Time - 2:30 PM. Distance 576 KMS Break - 35 mins

Route - Whitefield - Varthur - Sarjapur - Bagalur - Hosur and then regular NH 7 - NH 47 route - Kalamassery - Kakkanad- Tripunithura - Vaikom

Took around 25 mins to clear the Sankari toll booth. 2 counters were closed and it was a royal mess. This is the first time that I am encountering this at this tool booth. Anybody experienced this before?

Return

vaikom - Tripunithura - Kalamassery - NH47 - NH7 - Sankari - Tharamangalam - Omalur - Krishnagiri- Hosur -Bagalur - Sarjapur -Whitefield.

Start time - 5:20 AM. End time - 2:20 PM. Distance - 564 KMs. Break Time - 35 mins.

Sankari - Tharamangalam -Omalur route saves 12 KMS and Rs 123/- in toll.
This deviation is 42 KMS long and took 55 mins for me. The road surface is broken with lot of potholes. Can maintain 60 - 80 KM/H.
Avoid at night. Not worth it if travelling at off peak hours better to go through Salem.

NH 207 Between Sarjapur and Hosur is being widened. Road was being relaid in some sections while I was returning yesterday.

Madukkarai - Walayar - Much better and faster. Traffic is allowed on some newly laid sections and hence smooth. No craters.

Walayar - Vadakkencherry - Almost done except for a flyover after Chandranagar.

Vakakkenchery- Mannuthy - Couple of craters between Kuthiran and Mannuthy. Can be negotiated in 2nd gear. Kuthiran is patched up. No traffic blocks. Covered Mannuthy to Vadakkencherry ( 30 KMs) in 36 mins ( 7:00 AM to 7:36 AM). Road widening seems to be halted again in Vadakkenchery - Mannuthy or it is too slow. Did not see much equipment.

Last edited by pramodpk : 21st September 2015 at 15:24.
pramodpk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 21:38   #8933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Walayar - Vadakkencherry - Almost done except for a flyover after Chandranagar.
Thanks for the update.
The flyover is opened towards Palakkad when I went yesterday.
coolclouds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 15:35   #8934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Thanks for the update.
The flyover is opened towards Palakkad when I went yesterday.
Did you drive from Bangalore? Did you face any issue at Sankari toll booth?
Were all the counters open?

Also, did you notice any patchwork between Mannuthy and Vadakkencherry?
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:28   #8935
BHPian

Planning for a trip to Pathanamthitta via Salem, Dindigul, Theni, Kumily. Anyone aware of the latest status of the culvert constructions between Vatlagundu and Lower camp?
Old 24th September 2015, 13:26   #8936
BHPian

Kindly pardon me if my query comes across as repetitive.

We are a family of 3 driving from Bangalore to Thiruvananthapuram with a 2 day stopover at Wayanad for sightseeing. Planning to start from Bangalore by evening. One presumes Gundlupet - Sulthan Bathery will be closed by then.

What options do I have to reach Mananthavady with a start from Bangalore by 6? Also, the estimated driving time, please.

Thanks.
Old 24th September 2015, 13:35   #8937
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Kindly pardon me if my query comes across as repetitive.

We are a family of 3 driving from Bangalore to Thiruvananthapuram with a 2 day stopover at Wayanad for sightseeing. Planning to start from Bangalore by evening. One presumes Gundlupet - Sulthan Bathery will be closed by then.

What options do I have to reach Mananthavady with a start from Bangalore by 6? Also, the estimated driving time, please.

Thanks.
Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Kutta-Tholpetty-Manathavady.

This is the only route open at night. Driving time will be around 6 hrs.

I would recommend starting early the next morning (say by 4am). With a 6pm start you will pass through the forest areas at midnight and reach at a very odd time.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 13:36   #8938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If your start time is 6 PM, then the only realistic option you have is Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Kutta-Kattikulam-Mananthavady. This route is open through the night. I expect it will take around 6 hours keeping in mind safe driving, night driving, evening rush hour etc.

Alternatively, you could consider getting a bit of sleep in Bangalore itself and starting at around 3 AM. You can expect to cover Bangalore-Mysore-Handpost-Bavali-Mananthavady in about 5 hours and arrive in Mananthavady for breakfast.

Last edited by binand : 24th September 2015 at 13:38.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 13:59   #8939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Kutta-Tholpetty-Manathavady.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
If your start time is 6 PM, then the only realistic option you have is Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Kutta-Kattikulam-Mananthavady.
Thanks guys, much appreciated. How are the road conditions though?

The planned start is for tomorrow evening. As you know, there is a KA bandh announced for the next day. So the options are limited with leaves already approved. Not brave enough to drive a KL car through KA on a bandh day .
Old 24th September 2015, 14:09   #8940
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys, much appreciated. How are the road conditions though?

The planned start is for tomorrow evening. As you know, there is a KA bandh announced for the next day. So the options are limited with leaves already approved. Not brave enough to drive a KL car through KA on a bandh day .
Then makes sense. Road conditions should be great throughout. The Gonikoppal-Kutta stretch had been bad for a long time, but now is relaid and good (Info from a few months back, assuming it would not have deteriorated much).

Expect the Gonikoppal-Kutta-Kattikulam stretch to be deserted. You also pass through the Tholpettey Sanctuary belt (No night ban as it is on the Kerala side). So be careful of wildlife sightings.

Have a safe drive.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed