Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2016, 19:37   #9646
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Roads along the Sathy route are excellent. You may come across the odd rough patch near to the villages that NH-209 passes through. I read in the HVK-FF FB group that traffic is restricted on the ghat section from 6PM to 6AM in the wake of some recent wildlife sightings,
Thanks for the info silversteed!
I would either start tomorrow noon or Thursday early morning. Sathy route t be taken incase I start on Thursday. I have my 1 year old travelling along, so looking for a 'good' and safe route.
Old 11th August 2016, 10:41   #9647
BHPian

Two quick questions:

1. What is the state of the NH47 stretch between Vadakkenchery and Mannuthy? Is it decent or should I take Palakkad-Ottappalam-Shornur-Thrissur route?

2. How is the condition of MC Road between Muvattupuzha and Kuravilangad? I heard roads were bad some time back due to construction work. Is the road work still on? If so, is it safe to drive along this stretch during night time?

Regards
Rex
Old 11th August 2016, 11:42   #9648
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Need latest update on the roads from Nilamel till Varkala via Parippally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Two quick questions:
2. How is the condition of MC Road between Muvattupuzha and Kuravilangad? I heard roads were bad some time back due to construction work. Is the road work still on? If so, is it safe to drive along this stretch during night time?
It is still bad, road work is in progress. I will not recommend doing this in night.

If you are coming from Thrissur side, below is better and worth the extra distance travelled.
  • Continue to Kochi from Angamaly and take airport seaport road from Kalamassery.
  • Continue in Chottanikkara route till Kuruppanthara and take left to Kuravilangad.
  • Only bad stretch is Aluva - Kalamassery
Old 11th August 2016, 12:21   #9649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
It is still bad, road work is in progress. I will not recommend doing this in night.

If you are coming from Thrissur side, below is better and worth the extra distance travelled.
  • Continue to Kochi from Angamaly and take airport seaport road from Kalamassery.
  • Continue in Chottanikkara route till Kuruppanthara and take left to Kuravilangad.
  • Only bad stretch is Aluva - Kalamassery
Thanks, jacs.
I will be starting from Muvattupuzha. So, Muvattupuzha-Kolenchery-Piravom- .... will be the alternate route, I suppose.

Regards
Rex
Old 11th August 2016, 17:06   #9650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Thanks, jacs.
I will be starting from Muvattupuzha. So, Muvattupuzha-Kolenchery-Piravom- .... will be the alternate route, I suppose.

Regards
Rex
Yes. Its a breeze till Kolenchery for sure. Rest should be good as well based on my experience few months before, not traveled very recently.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 21:29   #9651
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I'm planning to drive down to Ernakulam and am planning on either via Wayanad or Ooty, so as to enjoy some serene beauty. Can anyone give me some idea on the current road conditions?
Old 12th August 2016, 20:35   #9652
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hi,

I'm planning to drive down to Ernakulam and am planning on either via Wayanad or Ooty, so as to enjoy some serene beauty. Can anyone give me some idea on the current road conditions?
Road conditions should be great all across. Wayanad, would not recommend, you probably get 1-1.5 hours of scenic beauty and then- bang- you hit the heavy typical Kerala traffic from Kalpetta, pretty much all the way to Ernakulam.

If you are a group or have other male company and have lot of time, you can do

Kanakpura-Chamrajnagar-Gundlepet-Masinagudi-Ooty-Lovedale-Manjoor-44 hair pin to Mulli-Karamadai-Mettupalayam and then on to NH47. Pretty much a scenic and nice to drive route all through.

Little more adventurous- Can do

Kanakpura-Chamrajnagar-Gundlepet-Masinagudi-Ooty-Lovedale-Manjoor-44 hair pin to Mulli-Elachivazhi-Thavalam-Attapadi-Mannarkad-Shornur/Palakkad- Thrissur. (Route Link from Manjoor)

If not familiar with the above, have covered this in this post (Driven: Bangalore to Calicut via Palakkad, Coimbatore, Coonoor, Ooty & Manjoor). The one bad section should be good now since work was happening.

Just to reiterate, you do not get mobile signal in long stretches between Manjoor and Mulli. So would not recommend alone or with just ladies and/or kids.
Old 12th August 2016, 22:10   #9653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hi,

If Ooty is not a priority, take Kanakpura-Chamrajnagar-Gundlepet -Gudalur - Nilambur - Thrissur - Eranakulam.

Whichever route you choose, suggest you to plan to reach Kerala border around evening, so that you could reach EKM by Midnight and avoid a lot of kerala traffic
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 09:39   #9654
BHPian

Hi.. Driving to Palakkad, Kerala today afternoon. Any update on the Krishnagiri toll gate traffic? Any alternate route available to save time?
Old 13th August 2016, 09:56   #9655
BHPian

Hello All,

Planning a road trip as follows

14-Aug-16 Sunday Bangalore-Munnar
16-Aug-16 Tuesday Munnar-Allepey
17-Aug-16 Wednesday Allepey-Kovalam
19-Aug-16 Friday Kovalam-Madurai
20-Aug-16 Saturday Madurai-Bangalore

Can some one suggest the best routes to take along the way.
Old 13th August 2016, 10:23   #9656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
Hi.. Driving to Palakkad, Kerala today afternoon. Any update on the Krishnagiri toll gate traffic? Any alternate route available to save time?
If you are starting post lunch, then there wont be much traffic issues at Krishnagiri.
Always check google maps before you start! its showing 18 minutes delay at Krishnagiri toll right now.
Alternative route :- My suggestion is to stick on to NH. If you have enough time to spare, try Kollegal - Sathyamangalam - CBE or Rayalkottai - Palakode - Dharmapuri routes.
arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 11:09   #9657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is (Attibele-)Hosur-Rayakottai-Palacode-Dharmapuri which avoids Krishnagiri toll (and if required, Attibele toll). But if Krishnagiri toll is crowded, the ones from there till Salem would be double so - which means you have to continue along interior Tamil Nadu roads till maybe Sankari to reap any benefit. Depending on your appetite for such roads (single carriageway with two lanes, reasonable surface, hardly any traffic, chaotic towns, irresponsible local drivers, no food/restroom options etc.), you could try these routes.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 12:10   #9658
BHPian

Any suggestions for good hotels before Krishnagiri veg/ non veg apart from a2b?
Old 13th August 2016, 12:19   #9659
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You can try out Sharavana Bhavan at Shoolagiri. Food there was better compared to both A2B and Sri Krishna. However, restrooms are not that clean as those at Sri Krishna / HP COCO.

Else past Krishnagiri towards Salem side you will come across another Sharavana Bhavan. Food here too is good.

Old 13th August 2016, 19:31   #9660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a Saravana Bhavan Hotel and Lakshmi Nivas or Vilas (Not sure about the second name). Plus we also have Kamat Upachar
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks