Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2016, 17:10   #9691
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Hi Friends,

A quick run through of my recent Bangalore - Telicherry trip .

Route : Bangalore-Mysore RR(C Asia)-Hunsur - Gonikoppa- Bittangala -
Iritty - Koothuparambu - Mambaram - Melur.

The whole route was a smooth drive. Started at 5.00AM and reached Melur
by 11.20 AM. Stopped for BF at Hunsur bypass Halli Mane) and once for leisurely
fuelling. I must comment that the Coorg roads and the ghat/forest section at the border were exceptionally good !

During the stay in Melur, did a couple of local forways into Kannur . It must be the
most traffic congested town in India ! Avoid going through Kannur during the peak
hours .

Return was the same route back to Bangalore .
SAPVEN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 18:53   #9692
BHPian

Hi,

Driving from Bangalore to Kannur tomorrow. Taking the Hunsur Gonikoppal Iritty Mattannur route onward. Any suggestions for good eateries near Hunsur?

Also can anyone suggest a good scenic alternate return route to Bangalore from Kannur? Will start return journey from Kannur on Sunday afternoon. Can afford to take 11hrs to reach Bangalore.

Last edited by ampere : 28th August 2016 at 12:16. Reason: Fixed sms language. Request to not use the same.
Old 28th August 2016, 11:04   #9693
BHPian

Planning to visit Kerala in Oct, need recommendations for any cab services. Planning to cover the usual Kochi, Munnar, Thekkady, Allepey. Hence need a Innova or so for 5 days full time.
Any suggestions welcome!
TIA.
Old 28th August 2016, 12:14   #9694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuHasstMich View Post
Planning to visit Kerala in Oct, need recommendations for any cab services. Planning to cover the usual Kochi, Munnar, Thekkady, Allepey. Hence need a Innova or so for 5 days full time.
Any suggestions welcome!
TIA.
Try this number - 9526340188 Jayaraman is his name. He has an Innova. Very good driver.
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 20:19   #9695
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Guys, I've a trip to Trivandrum coming up. Couple of queries.

1. How's the condition of the Kuthiran stretch? We will be passing through this area between 3-5 PM on Thursday.

2. I understand the route between Ernakulam and Trivandrum isn't four-laned somewhere after Cherthala. How is this route? I mean do the buses/trucks ply on this route like our private buses? We had done a part of this route sometime back in September 2014 and the average speed was terribly low due to the amount of traffic on this narrow road.

Some inputs would be immensely helpful! Many TIA!
We did the trip last weekend and boy, we hated this drive like no other! Absolutely terrible single-laned road from Cherthala all the way to Trivandrum! A friend had to catch a flight from Cochin airport at 10 PM and we started from Trivandrum around 1 PM and reached the airport around 9:10 PM (thank goodness for the online check-in!) averaging 35 kmph!

Alleppey had a long 4 km odd block and we took the bylanes with the help of Google Maps, narrowly managing to skip the entire main route which was showing up in blood red with a delay of 35 minutes. As we entered Cochin, we knew Vytilla and Edapally junction would be crowded too being a weekend and having had the experience before. We decided to take the seaport-airport road after Maradu, again, taking some narrow bylanes. Finally, we managed to reach the airport around 9:10 PM! And reached Palakkad at 12 AM after dinner and dropping 2 others at Koratty and Mannuthy.

Hated this drive! Decided not to drive to this part of Kerala anymore unless they upgrade this section. :( Amritha Express FTW!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th August 2016 at 21:46.
Old 29th August 2016, 10:39   #9696
BHPian

Salem City Flyover Construction Update (12/8/2016)

Work just commenced?

Construction of three flyovers in Salem along the bypass road has started and is expected to be completed in one-and-half years. All these flyovers are being constructed along the Bengaluru – Madurai National Highway.

Source: The Hindu

Last edited by iVento : 29th August 2016 at 11:05.
iVento is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 10:51   #9697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
Salem City Flyover Construction Update (12/8/2016)

Construction of three flyovers in Salem along the bypass road has started and is expected to be completed in one-and-half years. All these flyovers are being constructed along the Bengaluru – Madurai National Highway.
This is great news. This was long overdue. Good that it's happening finally and hope they complete it on time.
Old 29th August 2016, 14:02   #9698
BHPian

Gannu_1,
The NH47 is indeed terrible to drive on from Trivandrum to Kochi. I use the MC road via Kottarakara to Adoor and use the smaller roads to reach the outskirts of Alapuzha. To reach the Kochi airport, it is better to take MC road upto Pandalam and then switch to the smaller roads passing through Mallapally, Uzhavoor, Muvattupuzha and enter NH47 at Angamali. This is faster, than waiting for the junction lights to turn green. Vyttila junction to Angamaly is heavily congested and with the Metro work going on, takes a lot of time.
Saji
SajiNSalin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 19:57   #9699
BHPian

Hello friends!

First I would like to thank Rajeevraj for suggesting that i post this query in this forum

Every year i take my family on a long trip away from bangalore during deepaavaLi/diwali. We celebrate the festival by spending some great family time rather than bursting crackers. This october we are headed for Alleppey!!!

Here are the dates...
Booking at alleppey is from 28th oct to 2nd nov 2016.

I will decide whether to leave a day eary from bangalore to cover guruvayooron the way there or cover it on the way back to bangalore based on your suggestions

I will be driving my Ford Fusion

I have booked accommodation at shanthiteeram heritage lake resort at Alleppey. I would like to cover guruvayoor also. I saw on google maps that I could take the bangalore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Alleppey route or the Bangalore-Nanjanagud-guruvayoor-Alleppey route. I prefer a serene and calm drive even if it is longer.

Requesting all BHP friends to help me with some information on...

1. How is the Bangalore-Nanjanagud-guruvayoor-Alleppey road condition now?

2. What are the places that I can visit on the way, during my stay in Alleppey and on the way back?

3. What are the food / refreshment stops that I can make on the way?

4. What will be the weather like in Alleppey in October end- November Ist week?

5. Your suggestions on whether I should plan guruvayoor on the way back or on the way to Alleppey?

6. Any advices/ Suggestions while in guruvayoor and Alleppey?

I will look forward eagerly for your responses. Please help.

Last edited by Ravi Krish : 29th August 2016 at 20:05. Reason: Forgot to mention dates
Old 29th August 2016, 21:29   #9700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Krish View Post

There are two roads from Nanjanagud to Guruvayoor
1. Via Gudalur - Nilambur - Pattambi
2. Via Sulthan Batheri - Kozhikode

Road conditions are good, but traffic will be heavy during day time.

if you want a scenic drive but with less traffic, plan in such a way to reach Nilambur by 7PM. Have dinner there and then reach Guruvayoor by 10.30-11 PM. Take rest and do the temple visit early morning next day ( say around 4 AM) and then leave for Alappuzha by 7-8 AM.
Quote:
Expect hot days and pleasant mornings.
Quote:
5. Your suggestions on whether I should plan guruvayoor on the way back or on the way to Alleppey?
My suggestion is given above. On return day you can start early ( say 5 AM) from Alappuzha and you will be out of Kerala before traffic picks up.

My suggestion may sound a bit tight for a vacation, but I prefer waking up early to beat traffic/rush and relax later.
Old 29th August 2016, 21:41   #9701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Take the BLR-Salem-Coimbatore-Thrissur-Guruvayur route.since you are not familiar with internal routes,my suggestion for you would be to stick to the highways.A stretch of 20kms is under construction between Palakkad and Thrissur and might delay you a bit,but otherwise the roads are all good.The drive to GVR should be done and dusted in about 9hrs with breaks included.

Going via Nanjangud is a time consuming affair.

Quote:
3. What are the food / refreshment stops that I can make on the way?
refer to this link for all details

goo.gl/8vLCQh

Quote:
warm and humid.Kerala has only two seasons monsoons and summers!

Quote:
Do BLR-GVR on day 1.Do the darshan on the night of arrival at GVR and the next day early morning.Temple opens at 230-3am.After breakfast leave for Alleppey via Thrissur-Edappally-Alleppey.Should take you around 5 hours to Alleppey from Guruvayur during daytime.

Drive back straight from Alleppey to Bangalore via Coimbatore.Taking the nanjagud route is going to take time,if you have time to spare etc you can opt for that route.route sees dense traffic and hence not a good option if you want a relaxed drive.

Quote:
6. Any advices/ Suggestions while in guruvayoor and Alleppey?
Guruvayur is a temple town,other than temples around the main temple the only other attraction is the Elephant sanctuary around 5 kms from the main temple.Other than that there is nothing else.

Alleppey the house boat,backwaters.
Old 29th August 2016, 22:00   #9702
BHPian

Thanks Arjithin and RenjitP!

I will visit guruvayoor on the way there as suggested. I didnt know it would take 5 hrs to reach alleppey from guruvayoor!!!

Any places of interest that we should visit in Alleppey? We will be there for about 5 days. It will be a great help if you could suggest please.

I dont know if I could have chosen some other place...since the weather seems to be hot. Will it be summer like hot??
Old 29th August 2016, 22:00   #9703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
A stretch of 20kms is under construction between Palakkad and Thrissur and might delay you a bit,but otherwise the roads are all good.
That Kuthiran stretch is about 35 km, I think. There is another stretch of about 20 km between Walayar and Coimbatore that is also abandoned while under construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Going via Nanjangud is a time consuming affair.
A slightly more nuanced comparison: The distance via Nanjangud to Guruvayur would be about 80-100 km lesser. It goes through thick forests (Bandipur, Mudumalai and Amarambalam national parks and Project Tiger reserves) where you can spot a lot of animals and birds. Those are the positives. The negatives are:

- It would take approximately the same amount of time, if not longer.
- Beyond Gundlupet, the road narrows considerably.
- Roads in Kerala during daytime are very heavy on traffic. You go through several small towns all of which are potential Ecospaces.
- Between Mysore and Nilambur, you don't have many food options.

One last thing - I think the weather in Kerala in October-November could be very wet. Though a lot of people think the best time to visit Kerala is when it is raining.
Old 29th August 2016, 22:12   #9704
BHPian

Thanks Binand!

I would prefer the nanjungud-guruvayur route. My 4 year and 9 year old sons will enjoy seeing some wild animals should we get lucky. Will it be possible to reach guruvayur in time for dinner if I leave bangalore by 4:30 AM?

I hope it rains when we are there! We just love it when it rains!!!
Old 29th August 2016, 22:24   #9705
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
Construction of three flyovers in Salem along the bypass road has started and is expected to be completed in one-and-half years.
This is good news and will ease passage of traffic via Salem but the next 1.5 to 2 years are going to be challenging at Salem so better to time it well or avoid completely by taking options like Omalur-Tharamangalam-Edappady-Sankari

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks