Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2009, 13:38   #961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Avoid going via Thoppur. Via Salem is better option now.
If you have to pass through Salem during heavy traffic hours, choose Omalur-Sankari route(SH65). Entrance to NH47 at Sankari is bit confusing due to bridge/road work on SH65. I traveled on Omalur-Sankari route last week and I prefer this route during day time.
Guys - dont confuse me further. The below route was suggested by hvk and others.

Bangalore to Munnar
Bangaloreto Munnar (475kms / 9hrs): Bangalore – Hosur – Krishnagiri – Dharmapuri – Thoppur (Exit NH7 and turn Right) – Mettur – Bhavani (Join NH47) – (Exit NH47) Perundurai – Chennimalai – Kangayam – Dharapuram – Udumalaipettai – Marayoor – Munnar

Any reason why i should not go through thoppur? If it has to be via salem, what is the route?
Old 11th December 2009, 13:44   #962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Guys - dont confuse me further. The below route was suggested by hvk and others.

Bangalore to Munnar
Bangaloreto Munnar (475kms / 9hrs): Bangalore – Hosur – Krishnagiri – Dharmapuri – Thoppur (Exit NH7 and turn Right) – Mettur – Bhavani (Join NH47) – (Exit NH47) Perundurai – Chennimalai – Kangayam – Dharapuram – Udumalaipettai – Marayoor – Munnar

Any reason why i should not go through thoppur? If it has to be via salem, what is the route?
I think what sj_koova meant was that since NH7 is 4-laned all the way to Salem, it is a good idea to go from Toppur via Salem to Bhavani. The road from Toppur to Bhavani via Mettur is a 2-laned road which is 20 kms shorter and has been preferred by all of us of late because of the road widening working going on in NH7 (Toppur-Salem) and NH47 (Salem-Bhavani).

If you have to go via Salem, you continue straight at Toppur on NH7 via Omalur. On Salem bypass, you will see the NH47 right turn to Coimbatore via Sankari and Bhavani.
Old 11th December 2009, 13:49   #963
BHPian

The Mettur route is not in great condition now, otherwise, no reason to go via Salem as Mettur saves 17km. I drive to Kerala every three months, sometime more frequently and I have started avoiding Mettur route.
If you are going via Salem, follow NH-7 till Salem (4 line beautiful road) and divert to NH47 for Perundurai from Salem. Part of Salem-Perundurai is again 4 line.
From Perundurai it is the same route as above.
Old 12th December 2009, 00:02   #964
Team-BHP Support

@NFS,

Could not answer you. Just got back from a 1300km drive over the last week through Kerala! Road conditions mostly were good. Not any major issues.

Bangalore to Munnar: (Regular Route)
Bangalore -> Krishnagiri -> Salem -> Bhavani -> Perindurai -> Kangeyam -> Dharapuram -> Udumalpetai -> Chinnar -> Marayoor -> Munnar

Munnar to Kumarakom
Munnar -> Adimali -> Kothamangalam -> Muvattupuzha -> Thiruvankulam -> Vaiakam -> Kumarakom

Kumarakom to Guruvayur
Kumarakom -> Vaikam -> Tirpanithura -> Angamaly -> Trichur -> Guruvayur

Guruvayur -> Bangalore
Guruvayur -> Kunankulam -> Pattambi -> Perinthalmanna -> Nilambur -> Gudualur -> Bandipur -> Gundlupet -> Mysore -> Bangalore

I did not want to take the full drive from Bangalore to Munnar in one shot, as there is a baby involved. I also make it a point not to drive over 80-100. Hence was not sure if I could make it in one go to Munnar. So I broke my journey at Salem. That allowed me to start late during the day from Bangalore.

NH47 from Salem to Perindurai OK. You may loose half to quarter of an hour at the Salem Sankagiri stretch and not more. I had planned to be in Munnar by 6. But what I did not realize is that the resorts lie quite far from the town. That gave me away.
Old 14th December 2009, 17:49   #965
BHPian

Chennai - Thrissur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Guys, I need to go to Palakkad from Chennai next month. What is the best route? Google asks me to go via Vellore - Tirupur - Dharmapuri - Metur - Velampalayam.

Is that the best route? I dont mind longer routes but want the best possible roads.

Also, how long will it take with reasonable driving? I need your advice ASAP because we need to book tickets if the roads/time taken is not advisable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The appropriate route to take would be:
Madras-Kanchi-Vellore-Vaniyambadi-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Toppur-Mettur-Bhavani-Avinashi-Coimbatore-Palakkad.

You join NH7 at Krishnagiri, leave it at Toppur and get onto NH47 at Bhavani. Take Coimbatore bypass. This is the best possible road, 4-laned till Toppur, and also from Bhavani till Perunthurai.

The drive should take you upto 8-10 hours.
Thanks a bunch for the detailed route HVK.

Actually we need to go to Thrissur. So HVK, the route will be: Madras-Kanchi-Vellore-Vaniyambadi-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Toppur-Mettur-Bhavani-Avinashi-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur. Kindly confirm.

The distance seems to be about 620km. How good are the roads? Are there bad patches that I need to be wary of?

We can leave Chennai only at 2:30 PM. Is that fine in the sense, we will be doing the latter part of the journey in the night, is it safe?

If you can advice on the suggested break places and times that I need to stop in each one, it will be of immense help.
Old 14th December 2009, 19:27   #966
Senior - BHPian

Yes, your Trissur routing is right. Distance is 640 kms. No safety issues. Peaceful to be driving through KL at night.

Possible halts are at Vellore (Hotel Krishna Grand), Dharmapuri (A2B), Avinashi (Kishnkinda/Podighai), Walayar (KTDC Aram).

You should have a driving time of 10-12 hours, depending on your speed. Add to that breaks.
Old 14th December 2009, 19:37   #967
BHPian

Just read somewhere in the forum that the Mettur road is in a bad shape but not able to spot the thread now. It was suggested to take the Salem route instead of the Mettur route in that thread.
Old 14th December 2009, 19:38   #968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
Just read somewhere in the forum that the Mettur road is in a bad shape but not able to spot the thread now. It was suggested to take the Salem route instead of the Mettur route in that thread.
No problems with Toppur-Mettur-Bhavani road.
Old 14th December 2009, 21:25   #969
BHPian

HVK Sir,

This is the thread i was talking about.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post1633137
Old 15th December 2009, 14:09   #970
BHPian

dear HVK,
Horrible Roads ! Never take Metter/Bhavani route
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssengo View Post
Team, if you are planning to drive to Coimbatore/Kerala through Metter/Bhavani, please avoid and use Salem Route instead. In my personal experience last week, the roads from Thoppur to Bhavani are in worst condition with huge potholes especially from Metter to Bhavani. Heavy Rains couple of weeks back have ruined these roads a lot. Horrible!!!

I happened to see even spot a Scorpio suffer this stretch by huge potholes. You are sure to cause damage to your vehicle (mostly hatchbacks and Sedans) by taking this route.

Instead you can take Thoppur - Salem - Sankagiri route to reach Coimbatore/Kerala which is awesome.
Ssengo asks to avoid mettur -Bhavani road and suggests Mettur >salem> sankari route. your comments.
Old 15th December 2009, 14:22   #971
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the update. The best route is Toppur-Salem (on NH7) -Bhavani (on NH47). I would avoid the side roads like Omalur-Sankari.
Old 15th December 2009, 16:42   #972
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Walayar (KTDC Aram).
You can also try the Walayar Motels on the left, about 9 kms from the Palakkad byepass when you travel towards Palakkad.
Old 15th December 2009, 21:50   #973
BHPian

Plan to go to Kerala next weekend. Will be starting early from B'lore.
Which will be a good place for a breakfast stop somewhere before but near Salem. Decent place, clean toilets.
Old 15th December 2009, 21:59   #974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haripg View Post
Plan to go to Kerala next weekend. Will be starting early from B'lore.
Which will be a good place for a breakfast stop somewhere before but near Salem. Decent place, clean toilets.
A2B after Dharmapuri
Old 16th December 2009, 10:36   #975
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am going to native this weekend. Plan is to start around 2PM and reach Trissur by 10PM where we would halt. Next day proceed to Thodupuzha covering all the relatives on the way. Below is the planned route taking inputs from the latest posts considering we have a baby on board. Travel is on Palio and return would be on 3rd Jan only.

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Omalur -(Selam Bypass to NH47)- Bhavani - Chithode - Perundurai - Avinashi - (Coimbatore Bypass L&T Rd) - Walayar - Palakkad - Vadakkancherry - Trissur

1) Please suggest a good place to take a half time break to have some food and proceed.

2) Please suggest a good place to fill fuel after Hosur considering the price is almost 5 bucks less per litre.

3) Please highlight the speed restriction through TN.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks