Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2009, 10:52   #976
Senior - BHPian

A2B at Dharmapuri is a good place to take a break. After that, there are 2-3 restaurants after crossing Avinashi. Once you cross into Kerala, you have 2 places at Walayar - KTDC and Walayar Resorts.

Check out the following link - teh log book has the Bangalore-Salem-ERnakulam route details:
SOUTH INDIA, Nov 2009 - hvkumar | Google Groups
I found the 5 Star petrol pump after Hosur a good place to refuel - they also accept credit cards. You can also refuel at the BPCL pump + A2B further down the road
Old 16th December 2009, 13:02   #977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Check out the following link - teh log book has the Bangalore-Salem-ERnakulam route details:
SOUTH INDIA, Nov 2009 - hvkumar | Google Groups
I found the 5 Star petrol pump after Hosur a good place to refuel - they also accept credit cards. You can also refuel at the BPCL pump + A2B further down the road
Just went through this log book and amazing data.
I'm wondering how you manage to record this much data on a quick drive
Old 16th December 2009, 13:07   #978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Just went through this log book and amazing data.
I'm wondering how you manage to record this much data on a quick drive
Keep a (paper) notebook on your lap and scribble as you drive along. BTW, this trip you mentioned was done solo. I also click GPS points as I go along.
Old 16th December 2009, 14:28   #979
BHPian

I am planning on a second road trip this weekend. How much time will it take to drive from Bangalore-Mysore-Nilambur-Thrissur ? Max speed will be 110KMPH during day time.
Old 16th December 2009, 15:06   #980
Senior - BHPian

Maximum of 8 hours driving time. Road goes down the ghats between Gudalur and Nilambur - also a wldlife zone, like the Bandipur-Gudalur road before it - but for the rest it is plains.
Old 16th December 2009, 15:12   #981
Senior - BHPian

Thanks hvk, its very useful. I am planning to use the 5Star pump after Hosur to fill the fuel but it would be too early to take a break. Any good hotels near Bhavani, its about half my journey to take a 30 minutes break to have food.
Old 16th December 2009, 15:14   #982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Thanks hvk, its very useful. I am planning to use the 5Star pump after Hosur to fill the fuel but it would be too early to take a break. Any good hotels near Bhavani, its about half my journey to take a 30 minutes break to have food.
I found 3 restaurants after Avinashi (please check my log book for coordinates), which may be the ideal break point. Of course, there are lots of trucker dhaabas too where you can get great "Barotta"
Old 16th December 2009, 16:23   #983
BHPian

Quote:
I found 3 restaurants after Avinashi (please check my log book for coordinates), which may be the ideal break point. Of course, there are lots of trucker dhaabas too where you can get great "Barotta"
The best place I came across in Bhavani-CBE road is SriSaravana Bhavan (If i recall it correctly) which comes around 20 kms after the Toll road ends. It is on the right side, if you are travelling towards Coimbatore from Bhavani.

As many mentioned, the Mettur route is not really good as old days (I used that road during my last drive to Kochi in November, and found that in not so good condition). But one travelling in SUV can take that route with ease.

I am taking Salem route next weekend.

@HVK.
I appreciate your patience in taking down every detail of the drive. Thanks for your log.
Old 16th December 2009, 16:42   #984
BHPian

@HVK Thanks.
Also, I was trying to figure out how much time it would take till Nilambur from Bangalore.
If I am staying overnight, I have 3 options 1) Mysore 2) Bandipur 3) Nilambur

Since I am starting at 2pm, time is critical as I do not want to drive at night.
Old 16th December 2009, 17:26   #985
Senior - BHPian

If you start at 2 pm from Bangalore, you could cross Mysore latest by 5 pm (assuming you do not get stuck in city traffic trying to get to Mysore road), and from there it is a 2 hour run to Gundulpet just before the gates close. Please bear in mind that there are check posts after Gudalur too for the Gudalur-Nilambur road although these are not closed at night. If you have a smooth drive, you could be in Nilambur by 10 pm - where you have hotels. But in case you do not want to drive that long or are delayed, maybe Mysore or Bandipur (book in advance) would be a better choice.
Old 16th December 2009, 17:26   #986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@NFS,

Could not answer you. Just got back from a 1300km drive over the last week through Kerala! Road conditions mostly were good. Not any major issues.

Bangalore to Munnar: (Regular Route)
Bangalore -> Krishnagiri -> Salem -> Bhavani -> Perindurai -> Kangeyam -> Dharapuram -> Udumalpetai -> Chinnar -> Marayoor -> Munnar

Guys - with so many posts and updates on the routes am getting confused. Can you help me re-draw the route? Sorry for the trouble. thanks in advance.

Bangalore – Hosur – Krishnagiri – Dharmapuri – Thoppur - Salem (Exit NH7 here?) – Bhavani (Join NH47?) – Perundurai (Exit NH47?) – Chennimalai – Kangayam – Dharapuram – Udumalaipettai – Marayoor – Munnar

Last edited by NFS2024 : 16th December 2009 at 17:33.
Old 16th December 2009, 17:30   #987
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore – Hosur 40 – Krishnagiri 55– Dharmapuri 40– Thoppur 30- Salem 45 (Exit NH7, Enter NH47 here) – Bhavani 60 – Perundurai 25 (Exit NH47) – Chennimalai 12– Kangayam 20– Dharapuram 30– Udumalaipettai 45– Marayoor 50– Munnar 40
Old 16th December 2009, 18:03   #988
BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore – Hosur 40 – Krishnagiri 55– Dharmapuri 40– Thoppur 30- Salem 45 (Exit NH7, Enter NH47 here) – Bhavani 60 – Perundurai 25 (Exit NH47) – Chennimalai 12– Kangayam 20– Dharapuram 30– Udumalaipettai 45– Marayoor 50– Munnar 40
Thanks hvk sir - apprecaite it.
Old 16th December 2009, 18:07   #989
BHPian

Quote:
Maximum of 8 hours driving time. Road goes down the ghats between Gudalur and Nilambur - also a wldlife zone, like the Bandipur-Gudalur road before it - but for the rest it is plains.

Which of the following is the best route from Nilambur, if we are traveling up to Kuttipuram. I heard the road conditions were pretty bad about six months back in the Angadipuram Valanchery sector. Not sure of the conditions now.

a) Nilambur-Wandoor-Pandikad-Angadipuam-Valanchey
b) Nilambur-Edavanna-Manjeri-Mangada-Angadipuram-Valanchery
c) Nilambur-Manjeri-Malapuram-Kottakal-Valanchery

-- Wind
Old 16th December 2009, 20:32   #990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Which of the following is the best route from Nilambur, if we are traveling up to Kuttipuram. I heard the road conditions were pretty bad about six months back in the Angadipuram Valanchery sector. Not sure of the conditions now.

a) Nilambur-Wandoor-Pandikad-Angadipuam-Valanchey
b) Nilambur-Edavanna-Manjeri-Mangada-Angadipuram-Valanchery
c) Nilambur-Manjeri-Malapuram-Kottakal-Valanchery

-- Wind
But why go to Valancherry at all? You can go directly to Pattambi/Shoranur and thereon to Trissur without coming to NH17.

In case you have to chose among the 3 routes above, I think the choice c) should be better. I was in that region last month (but not on the NIlambur-xxx route), I did not find any bad roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks