Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2017, 22:06   #10261
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
There are two or three signals, but generally you are right.
This is probably irrelevant, but still..

There are 3 signals in the NH stretch between Alathur and Palakkad, and one more at Alathur. While coming from Vazhakode, the exit to NH are 3 - before Alathur town, at Alathur town or after Alathur town.

If you take the one before town, you can skip the town traffic but will have 4 signals till Palakkad. If you take the one after Alathur, you will have only 3 signals, but will have to go through Alathur town.

Last edited by deerhunter : 17th January 2017 at 22:08.
deerhunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 22:40   #10262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
While coming from Vazhakode, the exit to NH are 3 - before Alathur town, at Alathur town or after Alathur town.
Phew. :-) I have come this way only pre-dawn so I don't recall much of the townscape; but I remember the point where I meet NH 47 is a junction under a flyover - and I have to drive on the service road for a couple of km before I could get onto the main carriageway. Which exit would this be?

Looking at Google Maps, I guess I am talking of Thrippalur junction.
Old 17th January 2017, 23:02   #10263
BHPian

Quote:
Phew. :-) I have come this way only pre-dawn so I don't recall much of the townscape; but I remember the point where I meet NH 47 is a junction under a flyover - and I have to drive on the service road for a couple of km before I could get onto the main carriageway. Which exit would this be?

Looking at Google Maps, I guess I am talking of Thrippalur junction.
You are right. The exit which meets the NH under a flyover is near Thrippalur (marked as 3 in the pic below). You will have to go through the service road for 2 kms before you join the NH.

The arrow shows the route from Vazhakode.

The exit marked as 2 is part of Alathur town and has a signal, but you can directly join the NH (no service road).

The exit marked as 1 meets the NH before town. But it will go through 2, so an additional signal compared to 3.

Alathur town has high traffic between 8AM-12PM and 3PM-7PM. So 1 is the preferred exit.

All Roads to Kerala-screenshot-144.png

Last edited by deerhunter : 17th January 2017 at 23:10.
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 09:14   #10264
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There are 3 signals in the NH stretch between Alathur and Palakkad
Last time I traveled in 2016, it was my first time after 4 Laning work was completed.
When going from Palakkad to Alathur there was a long flyover and on descending it was the first signal. Turning right here took us into Alathur town. We proceeded straight towards Kavasseri and on the return leg, I did not venture into Alathur again so took the first right from Kavasseri and it got us to NH 47 (don't remember if there was a signal) but in the pre-4 lane days there used to be a forest department signboard here.
Turning left here, we reached the junction that we'd taken in the onward journey in about 1-2 km.
So, are these 2 junctions part of the 3 signals you mentioned ?

Last edited by NPV : 18th January 2017 at 09:16.
Old 18th January 2017, 11:55   #10265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adutta2k View Post
When I look back I think it was a wise decision.

14th Jan - To avoid Kerala traffic decided to start early at 5am. Covered the initial 40-50kms easily doing 90-100kmph wondering why google maps was showing 5.5 hrs for a 233km stretch. I realised that a little later. Encountered the multiple diversions and traffic signals which slowed down the pace considerably. About 60kms before Cochin (I think it was a Aluva town) the traffic was really bad and spent around 1.5 hrs exiting the traffic. But since the route was through major towns like Ernakulam, Cochin could not make up much for lost time. Reached Waterscapes at 2pm. Total 8 hours with 1 hr stop for breakfast.

Conclusion - The Kerala stretch is best covered late in the night or early morning. Traffic is maddening at other times. The Metro construction st Cochin didn't help matters much and for a while, looking at the traffic I thought I am in Bangalore. But this route has good roads throughout and has got numerous eateries along the way, so its good if you are travelling with family. But the traffic takes away the pleasure of a driving holiday.
Indeed it was a wise decision with infant on board to break the journey. I think since it was a festival day 14 Jan, the traffic was probably more than usual through Aluva, Angamly and Kochi.
Even when i checked google maps was wondering why 6 hrs for just 200+ kms. But had a fair idea from this thread of Bhpians discussing about the traffic. At one moment even i was getting a feel of driving through ORR of Bangalore.
Old 18th January 2017, 14:48   #10266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Last time I traveled in 2016, it was my first time after 4 Laning work was completed.
When going from Palakkad to Alathur there was a long flyover and on descending it was the first signal. Turning right here took us into Alathur town.
This is 2 in the pic below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
On the return leg, I did not venture into Alathur again so took the first right from Kavasseri and it got us to NH 47 (don't remember if there was a signal) but in the pre-4 lane days there used to be a forest department signboard here.
Turning left here, we reached the junction that we'd taken in the onward journey in about 1-2 km.
From the description, you took the right at X and entered NH at 1. This is the preferred route for entry/exit to NH.

There is only one signal at Alathur (at the junction marked as 2). The other three signals are in the highway stretch between Alathur and Palakkad.

All Roads to Kerala-screenshot-144.png
Arrow shows the Alathur-Kavassei-Vazhakode-Wadakkancherry route.

Last edited by deerhunter : 18th January 2017 at 14:52.
deerhunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 15:08   #10267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Hey, thanks,

The Kunnangulam-Wadakkencherry-Alathur-Palghat route looks promising. Its SHs all the way, while the Shoranur -Ottapalam-Palghat route seems like a normal road.
Can you let me know (roadwise) , which is a better road ?

Also, once into NH47 at Alathur, I guess its smooth sailing (except for the
brief stretch close to Walayar, which anyway we cannot avoid).
Looks like Alathur is the flavor of the thread here

Just to add to the Alathur chaos-dont forget to stop by SNR Chips when you pass by Alathur Bus Stand,his banana chips are excellent and moreso,his ripe-banana chips.The place has been featured in many tv shows etc

www.snrchips.com

All Roads to Kerala-487865_10151487286767790_1711113051_n.jpg
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 15:34   #10268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

Just to add to the Alathur chaos-dont forget to stop by SNR Chips when you pass by Alathur Bus Stand,his banana chips are excellent and moreso,his ripe-banana chips.The place has been featured in many tv shows etc

SNR used to make the best banana chips. But now there are many that tastes as much if not better. But since they are the oldest, their popularity continues. Many of their main rivals can be found near Mangalam bridge, just before Vadakkencherry. Some of these rivals have chips that actually tastes much better. I dont know how they achieve it, but difference is evident.
Old 18th January 2017, 16:13   #10269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

SNR used to make the best banana chips. But now there are many that tastes as much if not better. But since they are the oldest, their popularity continues. Many of their main rivals can be found near Mangalam bridge, just before Vadakkencherry. Some of these rivals have chips that actually tastes much better. I dont know how they achieve it, but difference is evident.
The alignment of the road at Mangalam Palam has taken away the chips business-bad for them.Its amazing seeing the amount of coconut oil cans and packets that are on display at those shops.

During school days I would be able to see the lights twinkling on the Mangalam bridge from home across the fields from approximately 10-15kms away!NH47 was a huge wonder at those times-imagine a road that had the capacity to take you all the way to the country's southern-most tip
ranjitp1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 16:26   #10270
BHPian

Quote:

www.snrchips.com

Attachment 1596753
Wow....thanks !! Already decided to go through Alathur, and get my hands
on some of those groovy chips ! Will forego the chips purchase from
Calicut this time, and check this out !

Thanks a lot friends !

Quote:

Any names of those rivals in Vadakkencherry ? Is ARK HOT Chips one of them ?

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th January 2017 at 17:11. Reason: Mod note: Avoid Quoting Youtube links while replying. Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 16:56   #10271
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
NH47 was a huge wonder at those times-imagine a road that had the capacity to take you all the way to the country's southern-most tip
Agree with this . Moms hometown was Kottayi and during childhood days whenever we visited, I always hoped that we get a bus from Palakkad that touched NH47( Some buses used to get on to the highway from chittur road and then turn off at kuzhalmannam). Used to feel it to be 'cool' going on the NH.

If I am not mistaken, during those days ( early 90's) NH47 was always well maintained, so maybe that could be the reason.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 16:59   #10272
BHPian

Quote:
Any names of those rivals in Vadakkencherry ? Is ARK HOT Chips one of them ?
Golden C has the best I have tasted so far. ARK too is good, but I will not rate it as good as Golden C. Another one is Apple bakery. Many of my friends prefer Apple bakery over others, but I have not found any difference between Golden C and Apple bakery. To reach Apple, you will have to take the exit after Mangalam bridge. It is around 300m from the highway.

I dont know how each of these shops vary the tastes, considering all of them are made similarly. Maybe each has got some secret ingredient.

Last edited by deerhunter : 18th January 2017 at 17:05.
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 17:22   #10273
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Friends,
Return is planned directly to Bangalore from Guruvayur.
The question is :Currently what is the best route from Guruvayur to Bangalore ?
Thanks .
Quote:
Guruvayur-pattambi-ottapalam-palakkad-coimbatore-salem-bangalore
Quote:
And if you long for some Kerala countryside, Kunnamkulam-Wadakkanchery is a very nice road. Alternately you could connect to NH 47 at Alathur by turning off at Vazhakode.

(Note: Shoranur is in between Pattambi and Ottapalam, so Suresh's sequence is incorrect).
My hometown is Wadakenchery and I'm a regular in this route.
Of all the above Guruvayur - Kechery - Kuranchery - Wadakenchery - Pazhayanur - Alathur will be the best bet. Though this will be more by 1~2 Km when compared to the one through Kunnamkulam the roads are relatively better here.
And if you want to avoid the long stretch on service road before joining NH 544 at Alathur, take a right after the famous SN Chips near Court.

Also I would suggest you to avoid Pattambi / Shoranur - Ottapalam stretch not only because you need to enter Palakkad town before joining NH544 this also have relatively higher traffic though the road is wide.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 17:34   #10274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Agree with this . Moms hometown was Kottayi and during childhood days whenever we visited, I always hoped that we get a bus from Palakkad that touched NH47( Some buses used to get on to the highway from chittur road and then turn off at kuzhalmannam). Used to feel it to be 'cool' going on the NH.

If I am not mistaken, during those days ( early 90's) NH47 was always well maintained, so maybe that could be the reason.
Very true!And the buses would have NH written on the boards prominently.The buses that ran on the NH were looked upto and the buses that ran on the routes away from the NH were looked "down"on!Talk about class distinction among buses too

The NTPs (Nallappa Transports)KK Menons, Kandaths in Palakkad District and the Mayas,Karippals,Rajeevs in the Thrissur-Wadakancheri-Shoranur sectors
Old 18th January 2017, 17:35   #10275
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From the description, you took the right at X and entered NH at 1. This is the preferred route for entry/exit to NH.
Yes, I checked this on the map and that's the one we took.
Onward, we'd taken exit "2" (Court Road), that joins the Main Alathur town road near SNR chips.

Also, exit "3" Thrippalur junction is the one with the underpass going below NH 47 to connect the Kollengode road to Alathur.

So does this mean, if one wishes to take the Kollengode route from Alathur, going inside Alathur and then taking the underpass at "3" is the only way ? If one takes "1" or "2", the flyover would go above "3" and no way to turn towards Kollengode ?

Quote:

Yes, been more than a year since we visited SNR, so time to visit soon, thanks for the reminder

Last edited by NPV : 18th January 2017 at 17:38.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed