Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2017, 14:52   #10381
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
2. Any suggestion for overnight stay @ Trichy or Madurai?
Looking at your route, as you will be going to Madurai via Trichy, I think Hotel Metropole, Madurai will be on the way for you. The hotel is opposite the district court at Melur.

*I'm unable to answer your other questions related to driving to Trivandrum.

Last edited by NPV : 21st March 2017 at 15:10.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 15:37   #10382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post

3. How much time it takes from Poovar to Trivandrum city? Are the roads in good condition?

Thank you very much for your valuable responses

It will take about an hour from Poovar to TVM city. Roads are in good condition, but narrow and with many twists and turns between Poovar and Kovalam. After Kovalam, the new 4 lane bypass is almost complete, except some junctions.
ontheroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 19:46   #10383
Senior - BHPian

Folks, last month I had filed an RTI Application to get more details on the infamous L&T bye-pass at Coimbatore. Today received two letters as a response. The English one was straight forward; my application has been despatched to another office. The other response was in Tamil (and official Tamil), which I could not make head or tail out. Was the Coimbatore office informing to contact some one else, or was this another department informing the parent department that they did not have any information?. Looks like the NH division of Chennai is not the right place to ask and they have redirected me to NH Division of Coimbatore. People who can understand Tamil and translate please help me here...

Attaching my query, the English response & the Tamil response...
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-rti_cbe_byepass_query.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-rti_cbe_byepass_respredirectc.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-rti_cbe_byepass_resptamilc.jpg  

sachinpk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th March 2017, 18:58   #10384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Folks, last month I had filed an RTI Application to get more details on the infamous L&T bye-pass at Coimbatore. Today received two letters as a response. The English one was straight forward; my application has been despatched to another office. The other response was in Tamil (and official Tamil), which I could not make head or tail out. Was the Coimbatore office informing to contact some one else, or was this another department informing the parent department that they did not have any information?. Looks like the NH division of Chennai is not the right place to ask and they have redirected me to NH Division of Coimbatore. People who can understand Tamil and translate please help me here...

Attaching my query, the English response & the Tamil response...
Well the replies in English and Tamil mean pretty much the same thing - passing the buck to NHAI, sorry! Cheers
Waxeloquent is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2017, 14:40   #10385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk21 View Post
Hi guys, I have to drive to Kochi from Delhi next week.

Although google maps shows the route through MP to be the quickest option, I am planning to drive via Rajasthan - Gujrat - then either the costal route through Maharashtra & Karnataka or the second option is to go via bangalore.

Which route do you guys recommend? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Hi, Planning to do this stretch in end-May, look forward to hearing of your travel, routes used and road conditions. I'm thinking of taking the Agra-Jhansi-Nagpur-Hyderabad-Kurnool (break for Orvakal rock garden, Belum Caves and Gandhikota canyons)-Bangalore-Palakkad-Kottayam. Return through the coastal route to Mumbai and then via Udaipur and Jaipur. Look forward to hear from others too on these routes.
Old 29th March 2017, 12:15   #10386
BHPian

How is road conditions from Munnar - Marayoor - Udumalpet - Pollachi - Palakkad?
Old 29th March 2017, 12:22   #10387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
How is road conditions from Munnar - Marayoor - Udumalpet - Pollachi - Palakkad?
Did the Munnar-Marayoor-Udumalpet section recently, and the roads are quite decent - though not really butter smooth. Once you cross into Tamilnadu, the road condition is much better, and the Chinnar forest section which used to have rough roads earlier has been done up now. But beware of quite a few speed breakers in that stretch, generally well marked.

Can't comment about the Udumalpet-Pollachi-Palghat section since I haven't been on that road lately.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 14:22   #10388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Did the Munnar-Marayoor-Udumalpet section recently, and the roads are quite decent

Can't comment about the Udumalpet-Pollachi-Palghat section since I haven't been on that road lately.
Udumalpet - Pollachi - Palakkad roads are good all along and nothing of a concern.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 17:11   #10389
BHPian

Hi Folks,

Please suggest the best (Safest & Shortest) route from Munnar to Karunagapally.

Vehicle - Baleno

Thanks in advance!
Old 3rd April 2017, 13:16   #10390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Hi Folks,

Vehicle - Baleno

Thanks in advance!
Shorter route is via Munnar-Oonnukal-Thodupuzha-Pala-Kottayam but it is confusing for a newbie, so I would advise you to take the regular Muvattupuzha, Tripunithura, Alappuzha route. It is some 20 kms longer but straight.

Last edited by JohnnyBoss : 3rd April 2017 at 13:17.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 14:38   #10391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
Shorter route is via Munnar-Oonnukal-Thodupuzha-Pala-Kottayam but it is confusing for a newbie, so I would advise you to take the regular Muvattupuzha, Tripunithura, Alappuzha route. It is some 20 kms longer but straight.
Thanks. So you mean to say the route via Thodupuzha-Pala is slightly tricky/complicated than Muvattupuzha-Alleppey route?

Is there lot of deviations via Thodupuzha-Pala that I need to be aware of?
Old 3rd April 2017, 17:21   #10392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Vehicle - Baleno

Thanks in advance!
Faster route is to use NH47, take right turn at Kundannoor junction and stick with Muvattupuzha road and towards Munnar. You can take a right turn to enter Thrippunithura through the new bridge after Nucleus Mall.

The alternate route is through Kayamkulam-Kottaayam-Muvattupuzha-Munnar. But, road works are still going on in Koothattukulam area.

Kottayam-Pala-Thodupuzha which is also good after the works of PM road from Ponkunnam to Thodupuzha has now completed. But, Thodupuzha-Oonnukal road is narrow.

The problem taking MC road or PM road is too many towns you've to cross and it will be tiring and time consuming.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 12:47   #10393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Faster route is to use NH47, take right turn at Kundannoor junction and stick with Muvattupuzha road and towards Munnar. You can take a right turn to enter Thrippunithura through the new bridge after Nucleus Mall.

The alternate route is through Kayamkulam-Kottaayam-Muvattupuzha-Munnar. But, road works are still going on in Koothattukulam area.

Kottayam-Pala-Thodupuzha which is also good after the works of PM road from Ponkunnam to Thodupuzha has now completed. But, Thodupuzha-Oonnukal road is narrow.

The problem taking MC road or PM road is too many towns you've to cross and it will be tiring and time consuming.
Thanks a bunch Deepclutch. I will stick to NH47 route from Munnar.

I have driven from Kochi to Karunagapally couple of times.

Can you please provide me a Google map snapshot too, if possible?
Old 4th April 2017, 23:18   #10394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a bunch Deepclutch. I will stick to NH47 route from Munnar.

I have driven from Kochi to Karunagapally couple of times.

Can you please provide me a Google map snapshot too, if possible?
The GMaps route suggestion is proper. Here is the link: https://goo.gl/Wke5y4 . You have to take right turn at Kundannoor Junction and after Abad Nucleus Mall, there is Thrippunithura Mini Bypass through a new bridge which reaches at Private Bus stand and Statue junction, from where you take right turn to Muvattupuzha road. When reaching Muvattupuzha, you can take bypass EEC market road in Velloorkkunnam to Kothamangalam. It's all shown in the maps.

Last edited by deepclutch : 4th April 2017 at 23:19.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 11:46   #10395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
The GMaps route suggestion is proper. Here is the link: https://goo.gl/Wke5y4 . You have to take right turn at Kundannoor Junction and after Abad Nucleus Mall, there is Thrippunithura Mini Bypass through a new bridge which reaches at Private Bus stand and Statue junction, from where you take right turn to Muvattupuzha road. When reaching Muvattupuzha, you can take bypass EEC market road in Velloorkkunnam to Kothamangalam. It's all shown in the maps.
Deepclutch, I believe you have provided directions from Karunagapally to Munnar.

Can you please provide me the reverse direction?

Google maps is showing 3 routes as below.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Mu...d9.0654423!3e0

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks