Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2017, 12:21   #10396
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Deepclutch, I believe you have provided directions from Karunagapally to Munnar.

Can you please provide me the reverse direction?

Google maps is showing 3 routes as below.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Mu...d9.0654423!3e0
Gmaps is showing 3 routes. You can select the NH 47 route by just clicking on the shaded route. BTW, here is the link for the return route:
https://goo.gl/qppl4m

I believe people should not blindly take Google Maps for routes. Stop and ask the route. Recently a truck met with an accident after taking a very steepy highrange route relying on Gmaps.
http://www.mathrubhumi.com/idukki/ne...orry-1.1751891
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 07:57   #10397
BHPian

Hello everyone, I'm planning to drive back to Calicut from Kollur this weekend. I'm going to be travelling with my family and two kids. I've not done this route before so any tips on the route to be taken would be really helpful.

Google Maps shows me two options

1. Kollur - Udupi - Mangalore - Kasargod - Payyanur - Thallasery - Mahe - Vadakara - Calicut
2. Kollur - Udupi - Mangalore - Puttur - Madikeri - Virajpet - Mahe - Vadakara - Calicut

I'm not sure how the roads in Kerala are. The second one is about 70kms more than the first route. Please recommend which one to take.

Last edited by vignesh.cv : 7th April 2017 at 07:57. Reason: More text
Old 7th April 2017, 12:42   #10398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh.cv View Post
Google Maps shows me two options

1. Kollur - Udupi - Mangalore - Kasargod - Payyanur - Thallasery - Mahe - Vadakara - Calicut
2. Kollur - Udupi - Mangalore - Puttur - Madikeri - Virajpet - Mahe - Vadakara - Calicut

I'm not sure how the roads in Kerala are. The second one is about 70kms more than the first route. Please recommend which one to take.
Route 1 is the standard route.
Route 2 I feel would be an unnecessary detour, but it would be very scenic. You would not save time though.

Be aware, driving in Kerala is a different ball game altogether. Road surface would be pretty good, but traffic would be dense and you have numerous towns to cross, literally a small town/bazar every couple of KMs. So budget extra bit of time for all that. The Kundapura-Udupi-Mangalore stretch is mostly four-laned I believe, so that stretch should not be a major issue. The Mangalore-Kasargod-Kannur stretch is manageable as the roads are a bit wider than other areas and you get straight stretches where you can pick speeds though occasionally. The toughest stretch would be Kannur-Talassery-Kozhikode. Too many busy towns to cross, narrow stretches of roads. budget at least 2.5 hours for that stretch alone.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 14:06   #10399
BHPian

From reading the recent posts it seems that the best route to follow if you are travelling from Bangalore to Kerala (Pala, in my case) seems to be through Coimbatore, Walayar through NH-47, is this indeed the case or is there any other better option?
Old 7th April 2017, 16:34   #10400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
From reading the recent posts it seems that the best route to follow if you are travelling from Bangalore to Kerala (Pala, in my case) seems to be through Coimbatore, Walayar through NH-47, is this indeed the case or is there any other better option?
The Walayar route is preferred by most people because (a) the roads till Ernakulam are developed under the NHDP project and hence are of superior quality; and (b) unlike the other routes to Kerala it does not involve taking mountain roads; instead it passes through a gap/pass in the western ghats. For Pala I guess this route works quite well.

In the general case though, there is no one-size-fits-all route from Bangalore to Kerala. For each part of the state there is a preferred route, and several alternatives.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 16:38   #10401
BHPian

I'm travelling to Palakkad from Bangalore next week. Apart from the regular route via Bangalore - Dharmapuri - Salem - Palakkad, gmaps suggested another route via Kanakapura-Chamrajanagar-Puliampati- Palakkad. The map shows few ghat sections and crossing dense forest routes. Has anyone taken this route recently ? Please share your experience and how safe it is?
Am planning to start from Bangalore by 1PM.
Old 7th April 2017, 16:47   #10402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron91 View Post
Apart from the regular route via Bangalore - Dharmapuri - Salem - Palakkad, gmaps suggested another route via Kanakapura-Chamrajanagar-Puliampati- Palakkad. The map shows few ghat sections and crossing dense forest routes. Has anyone taken this route recently?
I think Bangalore-Kanakapura and possibly beyond is getting widened and hence has several diversions that would slow you down.

The ghat section between Chamarajanagar-Satyamangalam (Dimbam ghat) is very popular here and elsewhere.

Don't think this route has the night travel ban applicable. But be prepared for delays if a truck breaks down on the ghat or something.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 17:06   #10403
BHPian

Try the Chamarajnagar-Dimbum ghat-Satyamangalam route if you have time, are tired of the NH, like a forest drive or a twisty ghat road (or all of the above!). Like Binand points out, this route is frequented by huge trucks some of which have trouble negotiating the hairpin bends. If you're lucky you might see wildlife. Road surface is good all the way.
Old 7th April 2017, 20:48   #10404
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from the regular route via Bangalore - Dharmapuri - Salem - Palakkad, gmaps suggested another route via Kanakapura-Chamrajanagar-Puliampati- Palakkad.
With a 1pm start, I wouldn't recommend this route via Dimbham - firstly, getting out of Bangalore will be painful as there is some road widening work in progress on Kanakapura road. Secondly, you may get stuck near Dimbham if a truck breaks down and there are chances of wildlife crossing as well and hardly any facilities.

You'd be better off taking the regular Salem-Coimbatore bypass-Palakkad route.
Old 7th April 2017, 21:01   #10405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm travelling to Palakkad from Bangalore next week. Apart from the regular route...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
You'd be better off taking the regular Salem-Coimbatore bypass-Palakkad route.
If the regular route bores you, you could try Bangalore-Mysore-Gudalur-Nilambur-Mannarkkad-Palakkad. It has all the "amenities" of the Satyamangalam route (forests, wild life spottings, ghat roads...) and also ample food options, good roads and manageable traffic. I guess it would take about 1.5-2 hours extra compared to the Salem-Coimbatore route.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2017, 10:59   #10406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
If the regular route bores you, you could try Bangalore-Mysore-Gudalur-Nilambur-Mannarkkad-Palakkad. It has all the "amenities" of the Satyamangalam route (forests, wild life spottings, ghat roads...) and also ample food options, good roads and manageable traffic. I guess it would take about 1.5-2 hours extra compared to the Salem-Coimbatore route.
That was exactly my intentions. Bored of regular highway drive. The route you mentioned has everything that I want.
Old 9th April 2017, 13:50   #10407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm travelling to Palakkad from Bangalore next week. Apart from the regular route via Bangalore - Dharmapuri - Salem - Palakkad, gmaps suggested another route via Kanakapura-Chamrajanagar-Puliampati- Palakkad. The map shows few ghat sections and crossing dense forest routes. Has anyone taken this route recently ? Please share your experience and how safe it is?
Am planning to start from Bangalore by 1PM.
You can also try the following route to Palakkad from Bangalore though you will be touching the NH
Via Hosur,Krishnagiri, Thoppur, Mecheri, Nangavalli, Jalagandapuram, Edappadi, Erode, Kangeyam, Palladam, Sulur, CBE bypass and the usual NH47 to Pallakad.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 00:56   #10408
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That was exactly my intentions. Bored of regular highway drive. The route you mentioned has everything that I want.
You wont enjoy a big portion of the route, while you will take all bad part of it (traffic). It will be close to fading light when you cross Bandipur and around.

Instead take the boring highway. At least it would give you a swift drive.
Old 10th April 2017, 16:05   #10409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You wont enjoy a big portion of the route, while you will take all bad part of it (traffic). It will be close to fading light when you cross Bandipur and around.

Instead take the boring highway. At least it would give you a swift drive.
I'm planning to leave Bangalore by around 11AM. so I hope I can cross the nadukanni Ghat section and reach Nilambur by 7PM. (As mentioned in Gmaps)

Should I leave earlier to meet the above timings?
Old 10th April 2017, 16:59   #10410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm planning to leave Bangalore by around 11AM. so I hope I can cross the nadukanni Ghat section and reach Nilambur by 7PM. (As mentioned in Gmaps)

Should I leave earlier to meet the above timings?
If you reach Vazhikadavu earlier than 7pm, you will spend more time on Kerala roads.

My suggestion is to have an early dinner and then continue your drive.

If your drive is on 13th evening (day before Vishu), expect few road blocks in small towns during evening time, people may he out for last minute shopping.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed