Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2017, 13:12   #10591
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodh_eee View Post
Hi Guys - I will be traveling from Bangalore to Thrissur, then on to Kottayam and come back to Bangalore via Dindigul. Please let me know any trusted petrol pump (preferably COCO) in and around Thrissur and Kottayam. I will be driving a Laura TSi, so range is about 650 Kms.
I didn't see any shell pumps in Kerala. Is it true?
There is a BPCL COCO outlet at Pattikkad (after Kuthiran when coming from CBE) on the left.

I'd Suggest to install BPCL SmartDrive Android App to get all such details.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 16:02   #10592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please let me know any trusted petrol pump (preferably COCO) in and around Thrissur and Kottayam.
This is the same bunk Jhonny Boss was saying of I guess. Do keep an eye for this since by COCO bunk standards its a smaller one. There is an Indian Coffee house next to this. There is road construction ongoing on other side of the bunk, so you can miss this if not careful.

The other BP COCO mentioned by Promodpk is also a good option. However it is bit difficult to spot now after road work. Inspite of me trying to locate it, I missed it in past two drives. It is adjoining a flyover's descending approach road while driving towards Salem from Coimbatore.

Old 9th June 2017, 16:26   #10593
BHPian

Quote:
Please let me know any trusted petrol pump (preferably COCO) in and around Thrissur and Kottayam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
There is a BP COCO pump after Coimbatore bypass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

The other BP COCO mentioned by Promodpk is also a good option. However it is bit difficult to spot now after road work.
I think Pramod was referring to the one near Madurai, when he said after Coimbatore bye-pass.

HERE is the location. I had mentioned hotel Gowrishankar as the landmark as the fuel station is not yet marked in Google

You need not be worries about BP COCO since you can settle with Reliance outlets which is decent when inside Kerala.

Cheers

Last edited by treadmark : 9th June 2017 at 16:27.
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 16:41   #10594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
I think Pramod was referring to the one near Madurai, when he said after Coimbatore bye-pass.
I usually fill at this IOCL pump on my trips to Kerala. Close enough to the interstate border, and takes advantage of the lower price in TN. They take cards too.

https://goo.gl/maps/85SP9azbu8H2

In TN I don't think the LOA (Lorry Owners' Association) pumps cheat. I have also this BPCL COCO bookmarked just in case.

https://goo.gl/maps/wZYCWGZC8Fm
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 21:32   #10595
BHPian

Thanks for the info guys. I am a bit concerned about the fuel quality as I recently started to drive a Skoda TSi, which I surmise, is quite finicky about the fuel quality.
Old 10th June 2017, 10:35   #10596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys - I will be traveling from Bangalore to Thrissur, then on to Kottayam and come back to Bangalore via Dindigul. Please let me know any trusted petrol pump (preferably COCO) in and around Thrissur and Kottayam. I will be driving a Laura TSi, so range is about 650 Kms.
I didn't see any shell pumps in Kerala. Is it true?
There is one Indian oil COCO between Chalakudy and Angamaly. Its on left side while coming towards Chalakudy and COCO board is displayed prominently.

I have filled Diesel multiple times from here, no complaints yet.

https://goo.gl/maps/QkNHqygxKwt --> I guess this is the one
Old 11th June 2017, 20:12   #10597
BHPian

Guys, I would like to know how bad the Palakad - Thrissur route is?

Are there alternate routes to Thrissur?
Old 11th June 2017, 20:19   #10598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post

Better to avoid during monsoons till the tunnel work is completed. Roads are excellent till vadakkencherry. Till mannuthy some stretches the 4 laning is complete, however the kuthiran ghat is a mess. Last week there was a 6 hour long block. From palakkad you may take ottapalam route to reach Thrissur.
shijinpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2017, 20:19   #10599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Palakkad-Vadakkencheri is fully 4 laned (approx 40kms ).Vadakkencheri-Kuthiran is 4 laned in patches.Kuthiran-Mannuthy is work in progress especially near Chovannamannu.If you are driving in the dark,my suggestion would be to take alternate routes like Palakkad-Alathur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur or Palakkad-Shoranur-Wadakkancheri.If you are driving during daylight,sticking to the NH should be ok(unless there is a vehicle breakdown or an accident on kuthiran-traffic piles up for kilometers quickly as there are no alternate routes around that area for traffic to be diverted onto).
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 08:37   #10600
BHPian

Alright if this doesn't bring cheer to travellers, i don't know what will. Hindu News stated; the twin tunnels in Kuthiran will be open for vehicular movement from the end of this month (June 2017).
Boomerang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 09:51   #10601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hindu News stated; the twin tunnels in Kuthiran will be open for vehicular movement from the end of this month (June 2017).
That would be fantastic if done; but I couldn't find it in Hindu's website or Google News. Can you please post a link, screenshot or photo?
Old 14th June 2017, 10:09   #10602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alright if this doesn't bring cheer to travellers, i don't know what will. Hindu News stated; the twin tunnels in Kuthiran will be open for vehicular movement from the end of this month (June 2017).
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
That would be fantastic if done; but I couldn't find it in Hindu's website or Google News. Can you please post a link, screenshot or photo?
Had read reports in Mathrubhumi some time back the tunnel work is in final stage and the Palakkad - Thrissur one could be open by July.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:16   #10603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...le18211480.ece

Again, all this is subject to wait-watch.

Last edited by Boomerang : 14th June 2017 at 10:17. Reason: additional comment
Old 14th June 2017, 11:26   #10604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Hindu just states that the tunnel will be ready - not that the vehicular movement will be allowed. June end may not be possible since the bridge approaching the tunnel is not complete

As an aside the contractor may take offence to this statement in The Hindu

Quote:
Meanwhile, widening work is moving on a fast pace in the rest of the areas of the stretch after the Hyderabad-based KMC, which is the contractor firm for the project, was able to source fresh bank loans. The company had diverted loans for other purposes resulting in the delay of the project.
The delay was due to delay in handing over of land by the government to the contractor and hence the banks did not disburse the loan!!
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 11:01   #10605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
Apparently it is still bad and might continue so for some time. There is one more route you can consider other than the Thenmala route. After you turn off from NH7 at Kavalkinaru take the Aralvaimozhi-Bhoothapandi-Vellarara-Kattakkada route. I had taken this route for my chennai Trivandrum drive last saturday and was able to reach Pappanamcode in ~2.5 hours. There are a few broken patches but were manageable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Avoid that stretch unless early morning or late night. Otherwise take the right at aralvaimozhi and get into kerala via vellarada-katakkada. You will pass Anantya resorts on Chitar lake on the way.

Narrow winding roads, scenic but bad roads at a few points.

But the best part is the sheer absence of traffic for almost 70% of the stretch.
I will be driving to Trivandrum (Kesavadasapuram) on Friday.
Planning to start at 5:00 AM from Whitefield. Which route do you suggest?

1. Kavalkinar - Nagercoil - Balaramapuram - Kesavadasapuram
2. Kavalkinar - Nagercoil - Poovar - Kesavadasapuram
3. Kavalkinar - Aralvaimozhi-Bhoothapandi-Vellarara-Kattakkada- Kesavadasapuram
4. Rajapalayam - Thenmala - Palode - Kesavadasapuram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks