Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2017, 15:02   #10636
Team-BHP Support

Re: All Roads to Kerala

That last major flyover before the L&T bypass road starts, has finally been opened for traffic towards both sides. The entire stretch from Walayar border till the start of the L&T bypass road is now complete sans the lane markers and lighting.

Man, I only wish they start four laning the bypass road. It's a pain!
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 18:09   #10637
Senior - BHPian

Planning a Bangalore - Coimbatore - Alleppy drive soon. However a friend asked me not to take the City since the roads are bad and asked me to take the Ritz instead. How are the roads on this route ? Will it be a problem in the City because I prefer that for long distances ?
Old 27th July 2017, 18:50   #10638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Planning a Bangalore - Coimbatore - Alleppy drive soon. However a friend asked me not to take the City since the roads are bad and asked me to take the Ritz instead. How are the roads on this route ? Will it be a problem in the City because I prefer that for long distances ?
City should do just fine in this stretch! Only stretch that may be bad is kuthiran till mannuthy... but that also city can handle without issues.
guruji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 19:29   #10639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A close friend has a 2008 Corolla, and another one has the Honda City. Both of them drive to Kochi and back at least once in 2 months, sometimes once in 2 weeks, often with a loaded boot thanks to their kids. This routine has been going on for years together. There are members of the forum who own lower-slung sedans like Civic who do even worse stretches without any trouble.

Be wary of the road surface and your car will be fine.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th July 2017 at 08:05. Reason: Please avoid use of acronyms (ANHC)
silversteed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 19:34   #10640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
City should do just fine in this stretch! Only stretch that may be bad is kuthiran till mannuthy... but that also city can handle without issues.
Agree with Guruji, I travel quite often between Bangalore and Thrissur via Coimbatore, there is nothing that the City can't handle. Usual time taken is slightly short of 8 hours counting a breakfast and a light snacks break along with one refuelling.
sun_king is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 19:38   #10641
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From Krishnagiri till Palakkad, the roads are just fine. 4/6 laned roads throughout except the Coimbatore by-pass road which is a single laned road.

From Chertala till Alleppey it's an undivided single laned road. Not sure if the road conditions are any better but it was certainly driveable last year.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 23:14   #10642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
From Chertala till Alleppey it's an undivided single laned road. Not sure if the road conditions are any better but it was certainly driveable last year.
No issues on this stretch. Some portions has recently resurfaced. The City will do just fine. The only issue is extreme traffic, which is the case anywhere in KL.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 07:05   #10643
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all. I will take the City then. We are going to Goa next month and then will do Alleppy in September.
Old 28th July 2017, 07:09   #10644
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks all. I will take the City then. We are going to Goa next month and then will do Alleppy in September.
May be the comment with respect to City and Ritz was with respect to Rain/Water logging (because of monsoon) and not road condition? You may want to check on that?
Old 28th July 2017, 11:15   #10645
BHPian

Hello all,

I am visiting Silent valley national park over the upcoming independence day holidays. I am planning to take my Swift through Coimbatore - Anaikatti - Agali - Mukkali - Mannargad, starting from Madurai. Even though this route has been discussed earlier in some threads, I couldn't find recent posts on the same. I am being extra cautious since I will go with my family this time around (no kids though).

1. How many check-posts will I cross in this route and is there any special permission required in advance?

2. How is the road condition after the recent monsoons in Kerala?

3. Any chances of spotting wildlife? I will cross the ghat section during the noon.

4. Do I need prior booking for the jungle safari inside Silent valley? Sorry for question.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.
Old 2nd August 2017, 10:26   #10646
BHPian

In November after the rains, plan to drive in my Duster from Coimbatore to Club Mahindra, Thekkady; after 3 days plan to head to Club Mahindra Ashtamudi and after 2 days there, plan to go to Guruvayoor and return to Coimbatore. I am wondering about the route Cbe-Thekkady-Ashtamudi. I have done Kollam-Allepey-Guruvayoor-Cbe before and so that is not an issue. My concern is about the Cbe-thekkady-ashtamudi, how much is ghat/hill section? I am not too comfortable in the hilly terrains :( Would appreciate all suggestions. Cheers
Old 2nd August 2017, 13:04   #10647
BHPian

It would be better to take the Theni-Cumbum-Kumali route which involves about 20 km of ghat road. Thekkady is 4 km from Kumali and the drive to Ashtamudi involves driving upto Mundakkayam, ie. Kumali to Mundakkayam, about 45km of ghat road. These curves are not too difficult and the road is fairly wide, but two lane. So, it should not be too difficult.
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 15:26   #10648
BHPian

How is the road condition from TVM to Kanyakumari via neyyattinkara- parassala - marthandam?
Old 4th August 2017, 17:41   #10649
BHPian

Crowded, very slow and will test your patience. Best done at dawn; I usually start at about 5am. At this time it will take about 2.5 hours, other times more than 3 hours.
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 06:51   #10650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
Crowded, very slow and will test your patience. Best done at dawn; I usually start at about 5am. At this time it will take about 2.5 hours, other times more than 3 hours.
Thanks, took the bypass route from kazhakkottam via poovar. Good roads, narrow at some places... but still decent to drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks