Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2017, 13:49   #10666
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Need some help to plan a half day visit from Palakkad towards Nenmara, plan is to visit the Pothundi Dam View Point and Seetharkundu Viewpoint and return.

1. Route - via Alathur (turn off at Thrippalur junction towards Nenmara Via Chittilamchery/Melarcode ?). How are the roads on this route ? Is there any other better route ?
There are 3 popular routes

A. The most scenic, IMO:
Palakkad - Kunissery - Pallavur - Nenmara - Pothundi - Nelliyampathy
https://goo.gl/maps/sYoHb5n3jGJ2

B. Slightly different from above, and scenic route. But narrower:
Palakkad - Kunissery - Cheramangalam - Nenmara - Pothundi - Nelliyampathy
https://goo.gl/maps/YMrcCkjuFpx

C. A little longer, yet faster route (what you mentioned):
Palakkad - Kuzhalmannam - Alathur - Melarcode - Nenmara - Pothundi - Nelliyampathy
https://goo.gl/maps/CFLCqy8vXd62

D. The shortest, but with high chance of choking at a couple of places:
Palakkad - Koduvayur - Pallavur - Nenmara - Pothundi - Nelliyampathy
https://goo.gl/maps/LgpwuQKPyGy

Quote:
2. What is a good time to visit (morning/evening ?)
I would suggest heading to Nelliyampathy in the morning, and visit Pothundi reservoir in the evening. You can plan your descend after a late lunch.

Quote:
3. Are there any timing restrictions or permissions required to visit these places ?
You might need to get permission to stay overnight in Nelliyampathy, please check with the Palakkad DTPC office for details. The park near Pothundi reservoir closes at 17:30hrs IIRC.

Quote:
4. Anything else to visit nearby to these viewpoints ?
If you have not visited the Pallavur Siva temple, it's a good option, and it's just 2km off the routes above. Another one, Beembalathy Bhagavathy Temple, off the main road in route A. There's a sign board on the side, and it's at a distance of about 9-10km from Paalana Hospital on the NH544. These two are some quaint, off-beat locations.

EDIT: ranjitp1 has already mentioned route D

Last edited by silversteed : 10th August 2017 at 13:54.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 19:59   #10667
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
No need to go to Alathur if you are starting from Palakkad.You can go under the Yakkara underpass-Koduvayur-Nemmara-Pothundi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
There are 3 popular routes
@ranjitp1, @silversteed - thanks for all your suggestions, but couldn't visit those places as we had to re-plan the trip.

Due to other commitments and to avoid the holiday traffic (read madness!), we decided to leave on Sunday and return on Monday
Turned out to be a great decision in terms of traffic, but lot of rain (continuous heavy drizzle) during onward starting from Krishnagiri all the way till Chengapalli.

Some updates (Bangalore-Palakkad direction):
1. BETL was closed! Not sure if it was for some repairs (it was open today during our return journey, but at couple of places the right lane was closed for some work)

2. About 4Km after the Shoolagiri Krishna Inn/McD campus, there is a new building on the left side that has come up, definitely seems like some big restaurant will begin operations soon (this is about 1 Km before the A2B at Chinnar). If I remember correctly, there is also a new petrol pump/LPG pump coming up right next to this building.

3. About 8Km before Krishnagiri toll there are 2 newish restaurants almost next door to each other Sri Krishna Bhavan & Saravanaa Bhavan (not the HSB, notice extra "a")

4. Salem police have installed crude speed control barriers (using combination of steel barriers, oil drums) at several places after one takes the NH 47 ramp. The oil drums are painted with "Danger - Drive Slow" and in reality these contraptions themselves are dangerous to motorists!

5. Spotted couple of newish restaurants in a complex next to a HP petrol pump on Perundurai bypass. This is on left side about 2Km after the NHAI amenity complex in Perundurai (which is on right side). This place has a Junior Kuppanna restaurant and a Rukhmani Ammal Veg restaurant, so more options now on this route

6. L&T bypass is still a pain though traffic was less thankfully. Lots of new shops and establishments have come up on both sides, there is too much 2 wheeler and other local traffic and some of these guys just criss-cross freely at will without a care in the world, be cautious and drive slowly

7. Madukkarai flyover is ready, but no signages for people who need to take the turn off towards Kovai Pudur (old Coimbatore-Palakkad road)

8. Near KG Chavadi, couple of flyovers have work in progress for expansion joints and one lane is closed with crude barriers using Oil drums, again drive carefully

9. Near KG Chavadi, there is an Aaryaas that opened some time ago and now, right next door a newish "Krishna Bhavan Brahmins Veg" has opened in a nice looking traditional styled building

I was dreading the Thoppur and Krishnagiri tolls on the return and those were just fine with almost immediate entry and exit via the Fastag lanes but got stuck for 15 minutes at the Attibele toll!

*Fastag worked at all tolls, more on that in the other thread.

*Off Topic: Also visited the famous Hari Hara Puthra restaurant in Palakkad (one of the oldest Brahmin Veg restaurants), had heard a lot about this place. Being a Sunday, they did not have the meals, closest we got was Sevai (South Indian Rice noodles) and Curd Rice both were heavenly. The bill was a whopping Rs.138 for 3 people
They even had Veg Fried Rice and Biryani on the menu, wasn't expecting this at an old world place. Bought some of their sweets and savories too, yummy stuff.

Last edited by NPV : 14th August 2017 at 20:14.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 21:47   #10668
BHPian

Hi team,

I need to travel to Kottakkal tomorrow from Aurangabad. I am traveling with my parents. Since this urgent need came very late, I could not get tickets for bus or train. I understand this is a very long trip. But requesting you to help me with the beat possible option. Prefer good roads rather than shorter routes.

Regards
Arun
Old 15th August 2017, 21:56   #10669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmichael View Post
Hi team,

I need to travel to Kottakkal tomorrow from Aurangabad. I am traveling with my parents. Since this urgent need came very late, I could not get tickets for bus or train. I understand this is a very long trip. But requesting you to help me with the beat possible option. Prefer good roads rather than shorter routes.

Regards
Arun
Thats going to be a long drive, hope your parents are fine with that.
Route is straight forward - Aurangabad - Pune/Satara ( depending on the time of your travel to reduce traffic) - Kolhapur - devanagare - Sira - Mysore - Kozhikode bypass- Kottackal

Avoid the coastal highway route; even though that may be shorter in distance, you will end up spending more time driving.

Be aware that you cannot travel between Mysore and Batheri post 9 PM due to forest checkposts closing at 9 PM -6AM.

I am not suggesting any halt points since information about your parents ability to take along drive, number of drivers etc are not known. If there are any specific questions, please post.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 22:06   #10670
BHPian

Thanks a lot friend. My parents are healthy enough to do long journeys in car by God's grace. I will be the sole driver though. And how good are the roads? Any idea?
Old 16th August 2017, 02:00   #10671
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmichael View Post
- Day 1: Aurangabad-Pune-Belgaum
- Day 2: Belgaum-Bangalore-Hosur-Salem (Else Hosur)
- Day 3: Salem-Coimbattore-Pallakad-Perinthalmanna-Malappuram-Kottakal
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 16:12   #10672
Senior - BHPian

Folks - the FastTag lane at Attibele check post seems to have got blocked. They are building some sort of barrier there. Yesterday had to goto Hosur early in the morning during heavy rains. Finally I just switched to the "VIP route" on the left of the FasTag lane. The guard there how ever did not even come out of the booth, and I think he saw me waving to the FastTag on the windshield (it was pitch dark). He just opened the barrier and waved me through.
Old 16th August 2017, 19:07   #10673
BHPian

Hi All

Can you please advise on route from Ooty to Guruvayur?

I've driven from Guruvayur to Ooty before via Pattambi, Perinthalmanna, Nilambur, Gudalur, Ooty. This was around 4 years back and the road was bad from Nilambur until Gudalur, traffic was crazy as well.

Google shows another option - Ooty, Bikketty, Attapadi, Mannarkad, Pattambi.

Which is the better route - road quality is of significance as I am driving a Rapid. We plan to start around 0730-0800. Scenic drive is also a consideration, though road quality and traffic take precedence.

Cheers
Road Tripper
Old 16th August 2017, 19:35   #10674
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripper View Post
Hi All

I've driven from Guruvayur to Ooty before via Pattambi, Perinthalmanna, Nilambur, Gudalur, Ooty. This was around 4 years back and the road was bad from Nilambur until Gudalur, traffic was crazy as well.

Which is the better route - road quality is of significance as I am driving a Rapid. We plan to start around 0730-0800. Scenic drive is also a consideration, though road quality and traffic take precedence.

Cheers
Road Tripper
The Gudalur-Nilambur stretch should be pretty decent now. Had been recently relaid (unless this years rains have messed it up). So this route should be the default choice.

The 2nd route you have mentioned is the one via Manjoor-Mulli. Had taken it a couple of years back and had detailed the route in this post (Driven: Bangalore to Calicut via Palakkad, Coimbatore, Coonoor, Ooty & Manjoor)

It is extremely scenic, roads should be good mostly and traffic is non existent. The 44 hair pin bends are also enjoyable. On the down side, lots of sections with absolutely no mobile coverage and no one for miles around. So if alone with just family, would not recommend it. In addition since it is still monsoon, higher changes of some blocks in this route.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 16th August 2017 at 19:36.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 12:51   #10675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripper View Post

Cheers
Road Tripper
The quickest route would be Ooty-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Ottapalam-Pattambi-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur.IMO the Attapadi route is not a wise option,since it is still raining in parts,the possibility of the presence of blocks and bad roads is quite high.

Nilambur route is good,but it is going to take you a long time-narrow roads and heavy day time traffic.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 12:05   #10676
BHPian

Driving to Chengannur for Onam, what would be the best time to leave Bangalore to avoid the crowd and wait at toll booths.

1.) September 1st, 1PM, stay at Madurai or Theni overnight and continue journey next day morning. Of course via theni, it will be sabarimala route.

2.) September 2nd, 4AM, reach chengannur by 5-6 PM

Please advise

Rgds,
Vinod
Old 18th August 2017, 12:27   #10677
BHPian

I guess the earlier you start, the better. How about a 4am or 5am start from Bangalore. You can easily reach Chengannur by night. No need to stretch it to 2 days, unless you have some reason for a night halt at Madurai or Theni. I have driven from Hasan to Trivandrum via NICE road. Started at 0600 and reached Trivandrum at 2300 hours via Nagercoil and Marthandam.
Old 18th August 2017, 14:16   #10678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Tried the Trivandrum-Katakkada-Vellarada-Boothapandi-Aralvaimozhi route? I love the scenic route of the thenkasi route as well but the S bend scares me. Have been stuck there many times over the years.
Took this route on June 23rd in the Bangalore - Trivandrum direction. Reached Aralvaimozhi at 1:00 PM and Kesavadasapuram at 4:30 PM. Some broken sections between Bhootapandi and Vellarada. Traffic was very light but lot of twists. Had a peaceful drive. Not sure of the road condition after rains.
Old 18th August 2017, 15:30   #10679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Driving to Chengannur for Onam, what would be the best time to leave Bangalore to avoid the crowd and wait at toll booths.

1.) September 1st, 1PM, stay at Madurai or Theni overnight and continue journey next day morning. Of course via theni, it will be sabarimala route.

2.) September 2nd, 4AM, reach chengannur by 5-6 PM

Please advise

Rgds,
Vinod
You can easily do it in a day's drive.Unless you would like to break it up into two days with a rest in between. Hosur to Theni should take you around 7hours drive,speeds will drop after sun down.Western Gatz at Theni is good for a night's stay.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 18:02   #10680
BHPian

Hello everyone, doing a quick anniversary trip the week after next to Vagamon from Cochin. I'll be taking my Fluence, any idea how the road conditions are? I'd love my early morning onward journey to be really scenic, but very concerned about present road conditions.

Option 1 is Cochin - Pala - Erattuppetta - Teekoy- Vagamon. I might most likely take this route for the return trip, but wondering what the best Cochin - Pala route is. Option 2 is to go via Thodupuzha - Muttom - Moolamattom - Vagamon.
What will be best?

Most Viewed