Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2017, 11:58   #10786
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Don't have all the answers but couple of small comments. With the Bangalore-Salem route, 90-95% of the route is 4 laned. So it would be faster and more importantly much less tiring.

Maybe you can plan to spend a day somewhere in north kerala on the return leg (Kannur/Bekal Fort) to enjoy some sights and also recover from the driving stress.

Agreed that Bangalore-Salem Route would be faster. Is it 4 lane all the way till Coimbatore though?

I was planning to start from Pune on Friday morning, reach Udupi by evening and have a halt there. Start early morning from Udupi, have lunch & sightseeing at Kannur/Bekal and then reach Kochi by late night Saturday?

Best,
Ashwin

Last edited by Ashwin Morey : 27th September 2017 at 11:58. Reason: Wrong name!
Old 27th September 2017, 12:04   #10787
BHPian

Pune to Mangalore is scenic and a pleasure to drive through interesting scenery. Once you enter Kerala you will face very stressful driving. I would not recommend driving south of Mangalore. The drive will be totally focussed on avoiding encounters with all types of vehicles, people and you will not be able to see any scenery at all; it is also downright dangerous to drive this stretch.
The best option from Pune to Kochi is the first route you mentioned.
Old 27th September 2017, 12:12   #10788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwin Morey View Post
I think the 2 lane only starts once you enter Kasargod (Kerala) otherwise till then it is quite scenic and beautiful. Honestly i have been warned about the riskier and frustrating route from Kasargod to Kochi however I don't know of an alternate route from say Mangalore to Kochi.

Any suggestions?
Well, I'll defer to regulars on the route to confirm. As far as I recollect, Kundapura - Udupi - Mangalore is 4 lane. Before Kundapura work was in progress and must be in different stages of completion. Mangalore - Kasargod is a fairly short stretch. Yes, the scenic quotient is high on this route until Mangalore.

If you do the trip via Mangalore, then you'll have to bear the brunt of 2-lane highway at least till Kozhikkode. From there you have options to go to Thrissur and then take the Thrissur-Kochi 4-lane.

Quote:
Agreed that Bangalore-Salem Route would be faster. Is it 4 lane all the way till Coimbatore though?
Yes it is. It is 6 lane from Bangalore - Krishnagiri, 4 lane from there until Avinashi and then 6 - lane again till Coimbatore.

Last edited by Mnjdnght : 27th September 2017 at 12:13. Reason: Additional points.
Old 27th September 2017, 13:17   #10789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from the Coimbatore L&T Bypass and a stretch (I think 15-20km) between Palakkad and Thrissur, it will be 4 laned all the way to Kochi.

Quote:
I was planning to start from Pune on Friday morning, reach Udupi by evening and have a halt there. Start early morning from Udupi, have lunch & sightseeing at Kannur/Bekal and then reach Kochi by late night Saturday?
Best,
Ashwin
Plan is ok. As mentioned earlier, only the driving stress is a concern. Especially Kannur-Calicut-Kochi.

Also, if you are taking this route, don't follow what google tells you exactly post Calicut. Your route should be Calicut- Ramanatukara-University-Kottakkal-Kuttipuram bypass- Edappal-Kunnamkulam bypass- Thrissur-Kochi.

Google may route you via Tirur-Ponnani-Chavakkad, which is narrower and after recent rains, not in great shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post

If you do the trip via Mangalore, then you'll have to bear the brunt of 2-lane highway at least till Kozhikkode. From there you have options to go to Thrissur and then take the Thrissur-Kochi 4-lane.
Continues as 2 lane from Kozhikode to Thrissur also. One of the worst stretches traffic wise.
Old 27th September 2017, 14:40   #10790
BHPian

Quote:
Also, if you are taking this route, don't follow what google tells you exactly post Calicut. Your route should be Calicut- Ramanatukara-University-Kottakkal-Kuttipuram bypass- Edappal-Kunnamkulam bypass- Thrissur-Kochi.
Checked this on Google Maps, it shows both the routes and you are right, the first one is 181 kms but takes 5.45 hrs while the 2nd one is 205 kms but takes 5.41hrs!

Great inputs from all, thanks a lot!

Last edited by aah78 : 27th September 2017 at 19:42. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Also, you may just use the "Thanks" button instead!
Old 28th September 2017, 11:34   #10791
BHPian

With long weekend ahead and expecting traffic and long queues at toll gates, three bypass options while going to kerala:

Bypass Salem town: https://goo.gl/maps/gp9FDPy43Pk

Bypass L&T bypass Coimbatore: https://goo.gl/maps/FcNZuw2y31U2

Bypass Kuthiran: https://goo.gl/maps/uom5Vf28gmG2

Happy journey and happy holidays to all!
Old 28th September 2017, 12:14   #10792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
Thank you. Is the Kuthiran section still that bad to drive during afternoon time? I believe there was a plan to retar this section before the end of this month. Please update.
Old 28th September 2017, 12:25   #10793
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am planning for a trip from Pune to Kochi, starting from Pune on the weekend before Diwali and planning to reach Kochi not later than Saturday night.
Check this thread. You may find more answers

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ueries-10.html (Mumbai to Kerala : Route Queries)
Old 28th September 2017, 16:26   #10794
BHPian

Left for Cochin from Bangalore just after midnight, today. We crossed into walayar around 6 am. Fastag worked well in all tolls till here but this lane was slower than other lanes, inside Kerala, particularly at Paliyekkara Toll, Thrissur. Everyone is allowed in this lane.

Slow moving traffic at kuthiran but nothing too bad. There was heavy traffic at 8 am after Thrissur. We reached Paravoor at 9:15 am. Took two breaks - fuel plus snack at MCDONALD'S, shoolagiri. And breakfast sound 645 am at Aryas before vadakkancherry

Road condition is good through out.

Coimbatore bypass continues to be a scam. It used to be the best road to drive on in 2004. A lot has changed since then and they should stop charging for using that road.

The same goes for Thrissur - alwaye road. Quality is excellent but too heavy traffic and too many signals.

Oh and Salem. Avoid like the plague. The combination of construction work and barricades is ridiculous. I had to stand on the brakes cos I had not anticipated another barricade within 100 meters of the the previous one.

The tjet continues to be a pleasure to drive. I got a little over 14kmpl and I wasn't pushing the car at all.

Last edited by ak916 : 28th September 2017 at 16:30. Reason: Added breaks info
ak916 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 17:04   #10795
BHPian

Hi all,
Planning a drive to Wayanad, on 30th September. To avoid Dusshera traffic of mysore, I am planning Bangalore- Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamraj Nagar- Gundlupete.
Any recent drives by our members through this stretch? How is the roads after recent rains? Is this road safe to take during this rainy time?
Old 28th September 2017, 20:00   #10796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post

Coimbatore bypass continues to be a scam. It used to be the best road to drive on in 2004. A lot has changed since then and they should stop charging for using that road.

The same goes for Thrissur - alwaye road. Quality is excellent but too heavy traffic and too many signals.

Oh and Salem. Avoid like the plague. The combination of construction work and barricades is ridiculous. I had to stand on the brakes cos I had not anticipated another barricade within 100 meters of the the previous one.
When you say Thrissur- Alwaye road, which town are you referring to? I couldn't find Alwaye on the map, did you mean 'Aluva'?

If Salem is to be avoided, is there any alternative? I am planning to take Cochin-Bangalore road on my way back to Pune.
Old 28th September 2017, 20:15   #10797
BHPian

Quote:
If Salem is to be avoided, is there any alternative? I am planning to take Cochin-Bangalore road on my way back to Pune.
This is one option to bypass Salem Town: https://goo.gl/maps/gp9FDPy43Pk
guruji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 20:58   #10798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When you say Thrissur- Alwaye road, which town are you referring to? I couldn't find Alwaye on the map, did you mean 'Aluva'?
Yes - Alwaye and Aluva are the same
Old 28th September 2017, 21:57   #10799
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
Hi all,
Planning a drive to Wayanad, on 30th September. To avoid Dusshera traffic of mysore, I am planning Bangalore- Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamraj Nagar- Gundlupete.
Any recent drives by our members through this stretch? How is the roads after recent rains? Is this road safe to take during this rainy time?
Would be better to do malavalli bannur mysore ring road. Now a days this is better than going via kollegala chamrajnagar. Since you get to the mysore ring road from where you can quickly get on to nanjangud road, you will not get impacted by any dusserha related traffic.
Old 29th September 2017, 07:54   #10800
BHPian

Quote:
Would be better to do malavalli bannur mysore ring road. Now a days this is better than going via kollegala chamrajnagar. Since you get to the mysore ring road from where you can quickly get on to nanjangud road, you will not get impacted by any dusserha related traffic.
Are you sure on Mysore ring road part? From previous year feedback, what I understood is that entire ringo road also gets bumper to bumper traffic during Dushera time. 1/3 of the crowd takes, left for Chamundi hills, another 1/3 goes to right for Brindavan garden side and remaining 1/3 enters palace side.

Anyway, I am planning an early start by 5:00 AM. Let us see based on traffic reports during that time. Thanks for the reply.

Most Viewed