Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2017, 13:55   #11011
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,403
Thanked: 1,010 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

On the topic of the four lane highway between Walayar & Mannuthi. This four lane tolled road is soon going to be another cruel joke like the L&T byepass at Coimbatore. After Walayar till Wadakkanchery there are junctions pretty much every 3-5kms. All of them have signal lights, with again the timings all against the highway users.

In two of such signals, I actually had a "Bangalore-like" situation when I had to wait for two passes of the signal (to turn green). The signal turns green, and by the time the heavy weight trucks gets moving; there would only be 10-15 seconds left.

With the traffic density increasing every day, the people who pay tolls and use this road is going to complain that this is a waste of money.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 10:16   #11012
BHPian
 
manij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 98
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
In two of such signals, I actually had a "Bangalore-like" situation when I had to wait for two passes of the signal (to turn green). The signal turns green, and by the time the heavy weight trucks gets moving; there would only be 10-15 seconds left.

With the traffic density increasing every day, the people who pay tolls and use this road is going to complain that this is a waste of money.
Experienced this last night on my drive back from Kottayam to Bangalore. There is significant gap between green signals for the highway users and too less time in each 'green'. Even during the night when the traffic was not as much from the side roads, and people just waiting on the highway for the signal to turn green.
However not sure if this is 'actually' the toll road? Feels like it cannot be with so many signals. When the roads got better, the signals got worse!
manij is offline  
Old 1st January 2018, 10:30   #11013
BHPian
 
sparky@home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: KL08/KL46
Posts: 386
Thanked: 1,161 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
On the topic of the four lane highway between Walayar & Mannuthi. This four lane tolled road is soon going to be another cruel joke like the L&T byepass at Coimbatore. After Walayar till Wadakkanchery there are junctions pretty much every 3-5kms. All of them have signal lights, with again the timings all against the highway users.

In two of such signals, I actually had a "Bangalore-like" situation when I had to wait for two passes of the signal (to turn green). The signal turns green, and by the time the heavy weight trucks gets moving; there would only be 10-15 seconds left.

With the traffic density increasing every day, the people who pay tolls and use this road is going to complain that this is a waste of money.
The road from Paliyankara Toll towards Kochi is even worse, to call that a National Highway is a joke. The number of signals present make it very difficult to keep moving, and when the traffic is heavy, which is the case most often, it makes driving a headache. When there are some festivals, one can find cars and other vehicles double parked on either side, to add to the woes and this the National Highway.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 12:38   #11014
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,746
Thanked: 2,836 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
On the topic of the four lane highway between Walayar & Mannuthi.
The 4-lane stretch is from TN-KL border till Vadakkancherry. The stretch from Vadakkancherry till Mannuthy seems is going to be 6-lane. A toll booth for this stretch has been constructed at Vaniyampara and I guess will start collecting only after the tunnels are open to traffic.
binand is online now  
Old 1st January 2018, 19:00   #11015
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 169
Thanked: 69 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Made a 5.30 AM start from Eloor, Ernakulam. Reached home at Sarjapur Road by 1.10 PM. That was a total of 524 kms in 7 hours 40 minutes, which was excellent compared to my expected time of 9 hours. With a breakfast stop and three other water and loo breaks, the actual running time would have been at least an hour less. Traffic consisted of cars mainly,probably returning to their respective work locations outside Kerala. Toll booths were crowded especially, Krishnagiri, Thoppur, Attibele. L&T bypass at CBE was not bad and they were managing the traffic decently by opening a third lane towards Salem side, when there was a hint of pile up. Partial opening of Salem bypass was a blessing.

Altogether, I was expecting worse scenarios in the major hotspots, but it turned out to be just fine.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st January 2018 at 19:17. Reason: 5:30 pm > AM you meant?
tortoise is offline  
Old 2nd January 2018, 08:44   #11016
BHPian
 
AMG Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: BLR
Posts: 887
Thanked: 5,042 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
The road from Paliyankara Toll towards Kochi is even worse, to call that a National Highway is a joke. The number of signals present make it very difficult to keep moving, and when the traffic is heavy, which is the case most often, it makes driving a headache.
This can be taken up through a PIL. It is common knowledge that there should be flyovers and not traffic lights at important junctions on an NH. Even Salem which was the only place with traffic lights is getting flyovers.

The courts will in all probability direct NHAI to build flyovers. Maybe even stop till collection till the flyovers are built.

Prevention of collection of toll happened for the wrong reasons. (Because NHAI shouldn't!) A PIL would serve that purpose and also wake NHAI out of their stupor.

The only point is that someone should have the time and the inclination to file the PIL and follow up. Hope this happens.

Last edited by AMG Power : 2nd January 2018 at 08:56.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 09:44   #11017
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,746
Thanked: 2,836 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Even Salem which was the only place with traffic lights is getting flyovers.
Well, on the Bangalore-Chennai route there are signals even today at Veerasandra and Hosur; then at Ambur and Sriperumbudur; then at Thandal and Thirumazhisai near Chennai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
The courts will in all probability direct NHAI to build flyovers. Maybe even stop till collection till the flyovers are built.
I doubt this will happen. Don't think toll collection is linked to signal-free corridors as a matter of policy so the court is unlikely to intervene.
binand is online now  
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:04   #11018
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 510 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Trivandrum route help

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
As of last month's update [had a few relatives coming over], that stretch is still a pain. And the Vellarada route has really bad patches now as per one uncle. So it's upto you

Google gives all three routes taking same time to cover. The Vellarada stretch would be the one with the least traffic during day times.
Tool the Boothapandi -Vellarada route. Road is completely broken at many places between Boothapandi and Vellarada. In fact, there is no road left inside some towns. Vellarada to Kattakada also has some broken sections. Traffic was very less. Took 3 hours 15 mins to cover 104 KMS from Kaaval Kinar to Kesavadasapuram (3:00 PM to 6:15 PM). The last 2 KMs took almost 15 mins.

The same distance was covered in 2 hours 45 mins in June 2017. Road condition has deteriorated considerably.

Last edited by pramodpk : 2nd January 2018 at 11:06.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:10   #11019
BHPian
 
deathwalkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 849
Thanked: 1,312 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Trivandrum route help

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Tool the Boothapandi -Vellarada route. Road is completely broken at many places between Boothapandi and Vellarada. In fact, there is no road left inside some towns. Vellarada to Kattakada also has some broken sections. Traffic was very less. Took 3 hours 15 mins to cover 104 KMS from Kaaval Kinar to Kesavadasapuram (3:00 PM to 6:15 PM). The last 2 KMs took almost 15 mins.

The same distance was covered in 2 hours 45 mins in June 2017. Road condition has deteriorated considerably.
Thanks for the update.

Wish the two states work together to streamline the accessibility between them. You have the NH route, the poovar route and and boothapandi route. Traffic would flow oh so smoother if all three roads were in good shape.

Maybe one day...
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:17   #11020
BHPian
 
AMG Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: BLR
Posts: 887
Thanked: 5,042 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Well, on the Bangalore-Chennai route there are signals even today at Veerasandra and Hosur; then at Ambur and Sriperumbudur; then at Thandal and Thirumazhisai near Chennai.
Most junctions on this 325 km stretch have flyovers. Even in Hosur there are quite a few major flyovers except for one particular point. The rest of the signals are INSIDE major towns. And only 4 in a distance of approx 325kms. The ones in Kerala are a lot more and as indicated, every 3-5 kms.


Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I doubt this will happen. Don't think toll collection is linked to signal-free corridors as a matter of policy so the court is unlikely to intervene.
I think this will certainly happen if a PIL is put up with strong arguments showing how Kerala has been differentiated from every other state in the country by NHAI.

Toll collection is linked to travel that benefits the toll payer. In this case it is obviously the opposite. NHAI have, obviously, not planned or intentionally avoided building flyovers.

Courts will look at any situation where the general public are put to trouble / treated unfairly when compared with other regions/ states in the country.

Last edited by AMG Power : 2nd January 2018 at 11:18.
AMG Power is offline  
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:25   #11021
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 2,158
Thanked: 1,421 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
On the topic of the four lane highway between Walayar & Mannuthi. This four lane tolled road is soon going to be another cruel joke like the L&T byepass at Coimbatore. After Walayar till Wadakkanchery there are junctions pretty much every 3-5kms. All of them have signal lights, with again the timings all against the highway users.
I suppose the signals at each of the junctions you mentioned are not synchronized. By doing so, traffic can be streamlined and lot many vehicles can cross the signals thereby avoiding the situation wherein one has to make at least 2 -3 attempts to cross the signal.
suresh_gs is offline  
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:20   #11022
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 329
Thanked: 314 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

The traffic signals are not synchronised, and I always faced a red light during the drive from Cochin to Coimbatore. Another major problem is that the green is active only for about 30 seconds, and very few vehicles can make it through. With better synchronisation and more priority for the highway traffic, the situation can improve.

The Cochin to Trivandrum National highway is even worse, with traffic signals near every town on the route and every town just a few km from the previous one. It is a torture to drive on this highway, and I always prefer to take the Main Central road passing through Kottayam for a better drive.
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 17:02   #11023
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 12
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns94 View Post
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum- I'm heading beyond Salem tomorrow with a 4 AM start from HSR Layout.

Is it worth taking the Rayakottai - Palacode - Dharmapuri road to avoid the blocks at Attibele, Krishnagiri and Thoppur tolls?

Thanks in advance
It may be too late, but holds good for future. If you're driving an SUV and driving in daytime, this route is a very scenic and I suggest it. There are few potholes and rough patches. Road is not butter smooth, it is hilly region and with blindspots. I liked driving in this route compared to the NH44. You may not achieve speeds like in NH44, but Hosur-Royakottah-Dharmapuri route is supposed to be 15km shorter, hence you may spend similar time. The tension, road manners during the holiday session start/end is very bad at hosur/krishnagiri sections of NH44. You still have to face Attibelle toll both if you're taking diversion from Hosur, otherwise you've to take diversion at Attibelle itself.
powerdrive is offline  
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:36   #11024
BHPian
 
madhavgpai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Kochi/Bangalore
Posts: 69
Thanked: 102 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

A brief update on my round trip journey:

Traveled on 23rd Dec from Kalyan Nagar towards Kochi. Started at 3:20 am. All toll booths were relatively empty. Did the breakfast stop at Salem. Crossed Walayar at 10:30 am. Took another break in Malabar Restaurant. Reached Edapally junction at 04:00 pm. Kuthiran was a mess, a cruel joke.

On my way back. Left from Kochi on Jan 2nd at 7:30 am. Traffic was not a problem at all. But drove sedately throughout and took 4 breaks as one of the passengers wasn't keeping too well. Was on the Electronic City flyover by 7:00 pm I guess.
madhavgpai is offline  
Old 3rd January 2018, 13:54   #11025
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 510 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Here is the latest news on Kuthiran.

http://english.mathrubhumi.com/news/...rala-1.2499557
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks