Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2010, 09:18   #1111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5kvn View Post

Also, I am a wildlife enthusiast and a photographer. Although I would be pressed for time (need to reach Pandalam by sun down and the same on the return leg to Bangalore), any specific suggestions on routes to take for mammal/bird sightings?

In other words, and I know I am asking for too much, which route is recommended if I have to reach my destinations quickly yet get lucky with some wildlife sighting along the way?
Why don't you try the following route:
Bangalore-Salem-Perunthurai-Udumalaipet-Munnar-Adimali-Needamangalam/Thattekad-Cheruthoni/Idukki-Thodupuzha-Kottayam-Pandalam?

That would give you the best of wildlife opportunities - Chinnar-Marayoor-Eravikulam (for elephants, gaur & birds), Thattekad (for birds), Needamangalam-Idukki-Thodupuzah (for elephants).
Old 25th February 2010, 09:19   #1112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
What is the best route to Kottayam from Bangalore these days? I have tried the NH47 and Kumily routes in the past. Did not drive for more than year now.
If you dont want NH47, you can do BLR-Mysore-Gundlupet-Gudalur-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Kunankulam-Trichur-Ernakulam-Kottayam.

But this cannot be a night journey. Gudular-Nilambur is a ghat section and road are twisty.

Alternately you can also do till Dindigal on NH7 and then take NH220 via Theni and go to Kottayam. That is a longer stretch but easy to drive. I guess that would about 50Km between the two. (550 vs 600)
Old 25th February 2010, 09:21   #1113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the best route to Kottayam from Bangalore these days? I have tried the NH47 and Kumily routes in the past. Did not drive for more than year now.
All routes have good roads, the only reason to choose from is high traffic (NH47 route), chances of wildlife sightings/hilly terrain (Kumili). I would prefer the Kumili route because of the high speed drive that you can do till Madurai on NH7 and the good roads from thereon. Mix of superfast highway and hilly terrain.
Old 25th February 2010, 11:55   #1114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
All routes have good roads, the only reason to choose from is high traffic (NH47 route), chances of wildlife sightings/hilly terrain (Kumili). I would prefer the Kumili route because of the high speed drive that you can do till Madurai on NH7 and the good roads from thereon. Mix of superfast highway and hilly terrain.
Thanks HVK. I would prefer to avoid the maddening traffic in Kerala to the maximum possible extend. If I take the Kumili route, do I have to go all the way to Madurai or can I look at going towards Theni somewhere after Karur or Dindigul on NH7? How about going through Pollachi, Chalakudy route?
Old 25th February 2010, 12:01   #1115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks HVK. I would prefer to avoid the maddening traffic in Kerala to the maximum possible extend. If I take the Kumili route, do I have to go all the way to Madurai or can I look at going towards Theni somewhere after Karur or Dindigul on NH7? How about going through Pollachi, Chalakudy route?
Even if you go via Madurai, distances are the same. Not much of a difference I guess.
Old 25th February 2010, 12:02   #1116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are taking the Kumili route you would have to go upto Dindigul and then take the road towards Vathalagundu, Theni on towards Kumili, Vandiperiyar.

I am not sure going through Pollachi - Valparai - Chalakudy is a good choice in regular context. Pollachi to Chalakudy would take you anywhere close 5 hours. If its fine with you then the route is Bangalore - Krishangiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Perundurai - Kangeyam - Pollachi.
Old 25th February 2010, 12:03   #1117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When you are coming from Bangalore on NH7, 2 kms before reaching Dindigul bypass, you will see the right turn to Kodakanal. Take that road and that will reach you in Theni via Sembatti, Vathalagundu and Periakulam. No need to touch either Dindigul or Madurai.

POllachi-Valparai-Chalakudy route is meant for driving enthusiats with time on their hands, and if you wish to see the Athirapalli Falls. Road is not advisable after dark. Once you reach Chalakudy you have to take the messy NH47 till Angamali after which you have to take teh equally messy MC Road via Perumbavoor and Muvattupuzha to Kottayam.

Last edited by hvkumar : 25th February 2010 at 12:05.
Old 25th February 2010, 12:09   #1118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5kvn View Post
I'm planning on driving down to Pandalam from Bangalore this weekend via the Salem-Dindigul route. Please advise the route to take from Vandiperiyar:

Vandiperiyar-Sabarimala-Lahai-Pattanamitta-Pandalam

or

Vandiperiyar-Pirmed-Mundakkayam-Kanjirapalli-Cheruvalli-Rani-Pattanamitta-Pandalam

Thanks!
I hail from Kulanada near Pandalam, and my wife's place is in Mundakayam, so i regularly do this route. The route which i take is:

Mundakayam -> Ranni -> Kozhencherry -> Aranmula -> Kulanada.
Once you reach Kulanada, you can get onto MC Road, and reach Pandalam.

Roads till Aranmula are fairly wide, but from there till Kulanada are comapratively narrow. However, my parents have informed me that this road too has been widened, and relaid, so you should have good roads pretty much all the way.

Just another option, in case you want to consider an alternative.
Old 25th February 2010, 14:48   #1119
BHPian

Kollegal Chamrajnagar

Has anyone travelled on Kollegal chamaraj nagar route to Gundlupet from bangalore recently.

Please post the road conditions, I have to travel from some were near Kanakpura to Kannur.
Old 1st March 2010, 23:28   #1120
BHPian

Quote:
When you are coming from Bangalore on NH7, 2 kms before reaching Dindigul bypass, you will see the right turn to Kodakanal. Take that road and that will reach you in Theni via Sembatti, Vathalagundu and Periakulam. No need to touch either Dindigul or Madurai.
Watchout for this on your left, when you are nearing Dindigul. It's easy to miss it.
All Roads to Kerala-dsc03074.jpg

It is a left from highway and then go under the bridge to the right side.

Last edited by bijuks : 1st March 2010 at 23:30.
Old 5th March 2010, 17:32   #1121
BHPian

Hello all BHP members,

i am a newbie here.
i am planning to make a trip from coimbatore to trivandrum. As i will be travelling day time only(afer 6 am) ,i dont want to take the usual NH47 road for its heavy traffic.

iam planning to take this route
Cbe > Palani > Rajapalyam > Thenkashi > thenmala > punalur > anchal > tvm.
Has any one traveled in this route?? Any road updates?

Also is it advisable to go by this route- CBE > Dindugal > Madurai > Thirunelveli > Nagercoil > Tvm. i think i may have to ride almost 100 Kms extra in this route.
Old 5th March 2010, 18:56   #1122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionforcars View Post
Hello all BHP members,

i am a newbie here.
i am planning to make a trip from coimbatore to trivandrum. As i will be travelling day time only(afer 6 am) ,i dont want to take the usual NH47 road for its heavy traffic.

iam planning to take this route
Cbe > Palani > Rajapalyam > Thenkashi > thenmala > punalur > anchal > tvm.
Has any one traveled in this route?? Any road updates?

Also is it advisable to go by this route- CBE > Dindugal > Madurai > Thirunelveli > Nagercoil > Tvm. i think i may have to ride almost 100 Kms extra in this route.
Details in below.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...bangalore.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1665415-post1048.html

Route via Tenkasi would be narrow roads. Why Punalur-Anchal? Why not Kulathupuzha-Anchal? Don't take Kulathupuzha-Palode stretch as this stretch was not great in last Dec due to Japan Water Project.

Nagercoil route is comparitively better (see HVK Sir's thread). You might encounter heavy traffic between Nagercoil and TVM.
Old 5th March 2010, 20:19   #1123
Senior - BHPian

Continuing from where sbraj left off, from Coimbatore, it is best to go on NH47, especially with a 6 am start. By 8 am, you should have crossed Trissur. You will run into peak morning traffic in Ernakulam Bypass, but after that it should be reasonably peaceful. Nagercoil-Trivandrum sector sees dense traffic during all hours of the day, and it may not be worth it going all the way that way. If I may, I suggest you leave an hour earlier (5 am) and you will escape traffic jams in Ernakulam area (~ 8 am) and be in Trivandrum in time for lunch.

On the other hand, if you want to go via Palani, I would also suggest you take the Nagercoil route. If you want to go via Tenkasi, it is best you go via Tenmala, Palode and Nedumangad, instead of Punalur and Kollam, although you can expect to reduce your speed after Palode.
Old 5th March 2010, 21:51   #1124
Senior - BHPian

passionforcars, below are the posts that I was speaking about (just in case you could not locate them).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1710981-post120.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1712937-post141.html

Try to avoid Kollam if possible. Does not have a proper bypass and at times, evenings have pretty long traffic jams.

The other day, TVM-BLR Volvo was stuck inside Kollam town from 8pm-10pm.
Old 5th March 2010, 22:44   #1125
BHPian

Quote:
Continuing from where sbraj left off, from Coimbatore, it is best to go on NH47, especially with a 6 am start. By 8 am, you should have crossed Trissur. You will run into peak morning traffic in Ernakulam Bypass, but after that it should be reasonably peaceful. Nagercoil-Trivandrum sector sees dense traffic during all hours of the day, and it may not be worth it going all the way that way. If I may, I suggest you leave an hour earlier (5 am) and you will escape traffic jams in Ernakulam area (~ 8 am) and be in Trivandrum in time for lunch.

On the other hand, if you want to go via Palani, I would also suggest you take the Nagercoil route. If you want to go via Tenkasi, it is best you go via Tenmala, Palode and Nedumangad, instead of Punalur and Kollam, although you can expect to reduce your speed after Palode.

thanks SB Raj and HVK sir.

@HVK sir,
iam travelling in my Wagon R with my family and i'll be riding at a speed of max 60~70.
so i think i may not be able to reach ernakulam Area by 8 AM with this speed ( With a B/fast break of 1/2 hour). last time when i was travelling through this area ,i had bitter experiences in alleppy and kollam area.horrible traffic, and almost lost 2 hours. these things made me to change my route. please help..

Most Viewed