Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2018, 00:00   #11236
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Kindly suggest the best route to reach Chengannur, I will be starting from Bangalore tomorrow at 12 PM & will cross Aluva by 9 PM (presumably).

1.) Angamaly-Perumbavoor-Muvattupuzha-Kottayam-Changanassery-Chengannur

2.) Angamaly-Ernakumalam-Cherthala-Alleppey-Changanassery-Chengannur

Rgds,
Vinod
Old 9th April 2018, 06:38   #11237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Kindly suggest the best route to reach Chengannur, I will be starting from Bangalore tomorrow at 12 PM & will cross Aluva by 9 PM (presumably).
I had traveled this route in last December 3. I would prefer the second route,

2.) Angamaly-Ernakulam-Cherthala-Alleppey-Changanassery-Chengannur.

The MC road stretch from Angamali to Chenganassery is too slow generally. Others may be able to give more recent inputs.
Old 9th April 2018, 08:44   #11238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
If you have no specific purpose to come via Palakkad, Thrissur, I would suggest to consider Dindigul, Theni, Kumili, Mundakkayam, Ranni route also.

Last edited by ampere : 9th April 2018 at 10:22. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 10th April 2018, 09:16   #11239
BHPian

I am planning a travel from Pune to Munnar in the first week of August/ last week of July in my Scross, with wife and 4 year old kid.

I have 9 days for this vacation.

kindly help with the following queries

1> First day stop over Banglore/ Electronic City or Hosur and recommended hotel (budget only :-))
2> 5 days itinerary for Kerala starting Munnar, also recommended places to stay
3> On the return leg I want to visit murdeshwar and south Goa. How are the road conditions on this route and other interesting places to cover.

Appreciate your reply
Old 10th April 2018, 09:45   #11240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashant View Post
1> First day stop over Banglore/ Electronic City or Hosur and recommended hotel (budget only :-))
When coming from Pune side and wanting to go into TN, the optimal route is via the NICE Ring Road (assuming you are OK with the exorbitant toll) from Nelamangala, which then bypasses pretty much all the infrastructure and facilities of Bangalore. Your best bet would be to push a bit further ahead and park overnight in Hosur, which will definitely have something suitable for your budget. Claresta and TGI are in the 2.5-3k ballpark but have excellent reviews.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 10:00   #11241
BHPian

Thanks. I guess I can stretch on the first day. It will be around 16 hrs drive including breaks.
Old 10th April 2018, 10:17   #11242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I guess I can stretch on the first day. It will be around 16 hrs drive including breaks.
Don't think it will take that long. Pune to Hosur would be around 900 km, which should be manageable in 11-12 hours of driving and maybe 14 hours with breaks accounted.

Edit: I just noticed your proposed vacation time. That would be peak monsoon time down south. Especially in Kerala, whole days could be washed out. Be aware.

Last edited by binand : 10th April 2018 at 10:21.
Old 10th April 2018, 10:31   #11243
BHPian

Quote:
I have done this route (from Pune to Hosur) in a Honda Brio. I started at 05:00 AM from Pune and reached Hosur by 07:30 PM. Took 4 breaks and 3 breaks for fuelling.

I think you may be able to cover this stretch in 13-14 hours. The sad part is you can't avoid Bangalore's evening traffic unless you start around 02:00 AM or so.
MaxTorque is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 10:57   #11244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Don't think it will take that long. Pune to Hosur would be around 900 km, which should be manageable in 11-12 hours of driving and maybe 14 hours with breaks accounted.

Edit: I just noticed your proposed vacation time. That would be peak monsoon time down south. Especially in Kerala, whole days could be washed out. Be aware.
That is the idea to see Kerala in monsoon. August first week I believe we will not get very heavy rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
I have done this route (from Pune to Hosur) in a Honda Brio. I started at 05:00 AM from Pune and reached Hosur by 07:30 PM. Took 4 breaks and 3 breaks for fuelling.

I think you may be able to cover this stretch in 13-14 hours. The sad part is you can't avoid Bangalore's evening traffic unless you start around 02:00 AM or so.
We'll start around 4:00 AM. Considering the monsoon time I believe it will take more than usual.
Old 10th April 2018, 11:47   #11245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is the idea to see Kerala in monsoon. August first week I believe we will not get very heavy rain.
Actually Kerala has a fairly long rainy season going from June to November. The southwest monsoon will be in full fury during August, especially in areas up in the western ghats (like Munnar). If you are prepared for it, then by all means go ahead. Kerala is incredibly beautiful during monsoons - it is wondrous to watch the lush greenery all around during this period. All waterfalls (Idukki district has dozens of them) will be in full flow too.

The only respite from rains during this period is for about a couple of weeks when southwest monsoon is spent and northeast hasn't arrived. This happens towards the latter half of September.

Here's a link that a quick search threw up: https://www.prokerala.com/kerala/climate.htm
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 12:01   #11246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post

Bangalore traffic shouldn't matter if taking NICE road. Coming from Tumkur road getting into NICE shouldn't be a problem at all and exit at the Hosur road. After exit, a couple of Kms could have some traffic that's it.

KK
Old 10th April 2018, 13:35   #11247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Bangalore traffic shouldn't matter if taking NICE road.
KK
Oh okay. Maybe my time was not right. When I travelled there was very heavy traffic from Nelamangala to Attibele.
Old 10th April 2018, 15:26   #11248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Quote:
Given how monsoon behaved in last 3 years, nothing can be predicted.

But generally if you have 5-6 days in Kerala, you will experience sunny days for sure in August.
arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 16:12   #11249
BHPian

Thanks. So It will be either August or late September then.

Can you guys please help on rest 2 points

2> 5 days itinerary for Kerala starting Munnar, also recommended places to stay
3> On the return leg I want to visit murdeshwar and south Goa. How are the road conditions on this route and other interesting places to cover.
Old 10th April 2018, 18:09   #11250
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove Bangalore - Thrissur - Guruvayoor today. Smooth drive. Traffic was thin and most of the fastag lanes were drive through. Have not done palakkad thrissur in a long long time, so can't judge any change in condition. Overall apart from the small stretch at kuthiran and around it, rest of it seems mostly done. Kuthiran itself roads were pretty decent. Somehow was under the impression that this under construction stretch was 20-30km, but realized it is now just the stretch around kuthiran itself that is pending. Maybe 5-10 km of the full stretch. Maybe wrong though.

Mannuthy flyover is open as mentioned in an earlier post.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks