Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2018, 13:10   #11581
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
I think the Theni, Kumali road is open. You will be avoiding the flood affected Palakkad-Angamali-Muvattupuzha stretch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
Planning to drive to Kottayam from Bangalore. Which route is better. Is Theni, Kumali, Kottayam open ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshiqueS View Post
Hi,
Hows the road condition on the wadakkancherry,alathur route?
Also, is the travel distance more in this route compared to Kuthiran?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZENnist View Post
Any latest news on Kuthiran as of today? Planning to travel to Ernakulam from Bangalore on Tuesday. Will be carrying some material for flood relief as well.

As of now (1:45PM) google maps shows no road closure at kuthiran, but shows closure at many places along the route, till Chalakudy. Surprisingly, the worst affected areas - Chalakudy and Aluva seems clear as per maps. Does anyone know the ground reality please?
Quote:
Planning to drive to Kottayam from Bangalore. Which route is better. Is Theni, Kumali, Kottayam open ?
Kottayam Kumily road was completely shut on the 16th. A 5 km stretch on this road starting from Vandiperiyar towards Kumily and beyond was completely flooded.This was followed by a huge landslide as well.I would definitely not take the hill roads at the moment.

The water at Aluva has receded quite a bit and the route from Palakkad to Thrissur via Shoranur has been opened now.Folks I know reached Palakkad from Thrissur last night via that route.No blocks anywhere as such.
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 13:31   #11582
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
Not sure if it helps - Manorama is providing current updates on Kerala road conditions and blockages here:

https://specials.manoramaonline.com/...ion/index.html

This is a Malayalam edition though.
Thanks. As per this KK road is now open...
Old 20th August 2018, 13:32   #11583
BHPian

Thanks for the information about the landslide near Vandiperiyar. I couldn't find anything about this stretch. I plan to go to Thekkady from Trivandrum on Saturday, let us see how it goes.
Old 20th August 2018, 13:33   #11584
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Kottayam Kumily road was completely shut on the 16th. A 5 km stretch on this road starting from Vandiperiyar towards Kumily and beyond was completely flooded.This was followed by a huge landslide as well.I would definitely not take the hill roads at the moment.

The water at Aluva has receded quite a bit and the route from Palakkad to Thrissur via Shoranur has been opened now.Folks I know reached Palakkad from Thrissur last night via that route.No blocks anywhere as such.
Kuthiran is still blocked ?

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th August 2018 at 17:20. Reason: Please avoid Quoting Youtube link for replies. Thanks.
Old 20th August 2018, 13:43   #11585
BHPian

Quote:
Kuthiran is still blocked ?
Kuthiran has opened. Yesterday (19th Sunday) a cousin of mine travelled through the area. Got a 30min traffic block though.

So Yes, you can travel.
Old 20th August 2018, 15:51   #11586
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea about Palakkad->Thrissur via Alathur, Wadakkancherry? A colleague said a bridge (a bund, rather) was washed away along with a part of road on that route. Its a hear-say for him too, from some of his cousins who took that route to PGT. Wanted to confirm this and if true avoid this route and take the Lakkidi -> Thiruvilwamala route to Thrissur from Chandra nagar bye pass.
Old 20th August 2018, 18:12   #11587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZENnist View Post
Any idea about Palakkad->Thrissur via Alathur, Wadakkancherry? A colleague said a bridge (a bund, rather) was washed away along with a part of road on that route. Its a hear-say for him too, from some of his cousins who took that route to PGT. Wanted to confirm this and if true avoid this route and take the Lakkidi -> Thiruvilwamala route to Thrissur from Chandra nagar bye pass.
I followed this: Thrissur - Kolazhy - Mulakunnathukavu - Athani - Kuranchery (old road) - Wadakkanchery - Alathur

You’ll need to do the reverse. You’ll be just fine. I think the diversion via the old road at Kuranchery helps avoid the problem that you mentioned in your post.
achyu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 18:22   #11588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. As per this KK road is now open...
That page seems to indicate that the Dindigul-Kottarakkara NH is still blocked. Doesn't KK Road form a part of that highway ?
Old 20th August 2018, 18:29   #11589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyu View Post
I followed this: Thrissur - Kolazhy - Mulakunnathukavu - Athani - Kuranchery (old road) - Wadakkanchery - Alathur

You’ll need to do the reverse. You’ll be just fine. I think the diversion via the old road at Kuranchery helps avoid the problem that you mentioned in your post.
Has the water from the Plazhi river receded between Pazhayannur and Alathur?
Old 20th August 2018, 18:38   #11590
BHPian

Quote:
Has the water from the Plazhi river receded between Pazhayannur and Alathur?
Yes.. no water on the roads
Old 20th August 2018, 19:01   #11591
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
That page seems to indicate that the Dindigul-Kottarakkara NH is still blocked. Doesn't KK Road form a part of that highway ?
KK rode usually means Kottayam - Kumali Road. From Kottayam, you need to take MC road to kottarakkara. But at Pandalam, water is still on MC road. So this section has issue.
Old 21st August 2018, 00:13   #11592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
KK rode usually means Kottayam - Kumali Road. From Kottayam, you need to take MC road to kottarakkara. But at Pandalam, water is still on MC road. So this section has issue.
I know that (my hometown happens to be Vazhoor on KK Road )

I was referring to the reported road status for Idukki dist which said the NH was still blocked (Kottayam district status does show KK road as open). So please double check the status for the Kumily - Vandiperiyar - Kuttikkanam section of KK road.

I was contemplating a drive to Kottayam as well and the advice I received from someone from the area was to skip going via Kumily and to take the Cumbum - CumbumMettu - Kattappana - Kuttikkanam route instead. (This info is from a few days ago, I didn't check again since I called off the trip due to the uncertainty in road conditions)
Old 21st August 2018, 06:57   #11593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
Not sure if it helps - Manorama is providing current updates on Kerala road conditions and blockages here:

https://specials.manoramaonline.com/...ion/index.html

This is a Malayalam edition though.
Thanks for this. I am driving from Bangalore to Kolenchery tomorrow.
Old 21st August 2018, 09:33   #11594
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varkychan View Post
Thanks for this. I am driving from Bangalore to Kolenchery tomorrow.
What route you are planning to take ?
Old 21st August 2018, 12:24   #11595
BHPian

Planning to drive down to Kozhikode this Friday from Palakkad. Any updates on the road conditions? Also which is the best route to take?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks