Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2018, 16:31   #11626
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
I called the resort to check about the local conditions. Presently there is no rain and they say that road from Kochi to Munnar has opened up and safe to drive. they also said that the area was not flooded and there was one small incident of landslide nearby. rest everything in and around Munnar is fine. The Kochi airport is slated to open up today. Some airline offering refund up to Sept 10th.

Bad news is that rain and thurdershowers is predicted for the next week in Munnar and surrounding areas. I am afraid if that will be heavy enough to cause further damage.

Can anyone corroborate the resorts claim of Kochi to Munnar roadd condition? you never know if they are saying that so people will not cancel.
https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...minister-87286

Your planned travel is Sep 13th or so,by then roads will definitely be ok as the roads are being restored on a war footing at most places in the state.

Rains,well that is something that nobody can predict.Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 31st August 2018, 11:45   #11627
BHPian

Last week, drove to/fro to attend a funeral at Ettumanoor. Route taken was Bangalore-Salem-Pollachi-Nenmara-Vadakancherry-MC Road-Ettumanoor. Took almost 11 hours including breaks. Kuthiran stretch roads were non existent.

While returning (25th- onam day), avoided Pollachi, and instead opted for the direct route. Time taken was 10 hours. Crossed Kuthiran stretch around 1630 hours, and traffic was much less compared to previous day. Sad to see the destruction and damage caused by flood/rain.
xotiq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 21:14   #11628
BHPian

How is kuthiran stretch? Is it okay to take Kurthiran? Or should i go via alathur -> chelakkara route?
Old 31st August 2018, 21:20   #11629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
How is kuthiran stretch? Is it okay to take Kurthiran? Or should i go via alathur -> chelakkara route?
I recently went through Kuthiran, twice in fact. Both the times the traffic was slow but moving continuously. The stretch just before Kuthiran till about 5 kms after is absolutely horrible and bone jarring. Apart from that the Kuthiran route still remains the fastest and I don't see a reason, at least from my recent experience, to take any other route. Do check on Google maps before reaching Palakkad though. Should give you a fair idea.

Last edited by SCORPION : 31st August 2018 at 21:22.
SCORPION is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 21:45   #11630
BHPian

Made a trip from Bangalore to Edappally and back this week.

While going on 25th (Saturday), Kuthiran had low traffic at around 12:30 PM. Roads go from bad to worse to worst as you progress from start of tunnel section towards Pattikkad. Section between Kuthiran and Pattikkad is in its worst condition I've seen in a while.

Today, during return, Kuthiran was chock-a-block with traffic at 7:15 AM all the way from its start (before the tunnel section) to Irumbupaalam (the bridge after Kuthiran). We faced an additional delay due to a minor accident with an over zealous ignis trying to overtake through the work-in-progress wide section before the bridge from the left side scraping the paint of a pick up truck. Overall it took us around 30 minutes to cross the section.

So, overall, Kuthiran is ok to drive through. Traffic is temperamental, roads not good but manageable with care and still the quickest option to cover Thrissur-Palakkad.

Last edited by Mnjdnght : 31st August 2018 at 21:47. Reason: Typo correctioon
Mnjdnght is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 10:20   #11631
BHPian

Roads are in a bad shape from the starting of Kurthiran, traffic crawls, but this is still the best option. It took extra 10 to 15 mins to cross kuthiran. Other than that roads are all good all the way. It took 9 hrs from BLR to Chalakkudy with two breaks.
guruji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 06:35   #11632

Hi, I am planning to start for Kollam today. I drive a Mercedes CLA. Is the Kuthiran stretch ok for a low floor car to manoeuvre through ? My car definitely does not scrape like my previous A4 or other cars like civic
Old 4th September 2018, 09:55   #11633
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttle3010 View Post
Hi, I am planning to start for Kollam today. I drive a Mercedes CLA. Is the Kuthiran stretch ok for a low floor car to manoeuvre through ? My car definitely does not scrape like my previous A4 or other cars like civic
avoid kuthiran - more than GC, the long wheelbase is what would hurt you most. The traffic thickness in either direction will ensure that you will have no room to "maneuver" and minimize impact. My friend had a torrid time last week in his octavia. What if it takes a bit more time, take the chelakkara route for peace of mind.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 11:07   #11634
BHPian

Hello,

Wanted check on the road condition from Bandipur to Vythiri and Vythiri to Kabini. Anyone traveled on these 2 stretches recently? How is the road condition?
Old 4th September 2018, 12:32   #11635
BHPian

Need to make a quick dash to Pulluranpara/Kodancherry this week to attend a family event.

Any update on road conditions
1. Kanakapura-Malavalli-Gundlepet section
2. Gundlepet-Muthanga-Lakkidi
3. Ghat section - is the ghat fully open for traffic and safe to drive?
4. Pulluranpara stretch - there have been land slides in this area

Regards
Rex
Old 4th September 2018, 15:02   #11636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Need to make a quick dash to Pulluranpara/Kodancherry this week to attend a family event.

Any update on road conditions
3. Ghat section - is the ghat fully open for traffic and safe to drive?
4. Pulluranpara stretch - there have been land slides in this area

Regards
Rex

Four lane work is going on between Malavalli-Kanakapura-NICE road. Otherwise its pretty okay. Take the Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore route.

Good till the forest check post. Some bad stretches inside the forest section. Bathery-Kalpetta-Lakkidi is not in great condition- manageable.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 18:27   #11637
Senior - BHPian

How are the roads from Dindigul to Theni to Kumily to Pamba?

Any idea on the status at Pamba?
Old 5th September 2018, 08:26   #11638
BHPian

Thanks, Jeeva.
Any update/news on the ghat section?

Regards
Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post

Four lane work is going on between Malavalli-Kanakapura-NICE road. Otherwise its pretty okay. Take the Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore route.

Good till the forest check post. Some bad stretches inside the forest section. Bathery-Kalpetta-Lakkidi is not in great condition- manageable.
Old 5th September 2018, 11:02   #11639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
Hello,

Wanted check on the road condition from Bandipur to Vythiri and Vythiri to Kabini. Anyone traveled on these 2 stretches recently? How is the road condition?
I traveled till Kalpetta then to Mananthavadi and back to Mysore via HD kote last weekend. Till Kalpetta roads are fine. In and around Mananthavadi, its pretty bad. After Kattikkulam again there is not much issue.
manojas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 20:49   #11640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Thanks, Jeeva.
Any update/news on the ghat section?

Regards
Rex
The ghat section is in fairly decent condition. A few of the hairpins (9 and one more which I do not recollect) have a bit of broken surface but easily manageable in a car. There is a section (around 200m) between hairpin 1 and 2 which was damaged earlier in June. Repair work is still in progress here due to which this is slightly narrower than the rest of the ghat road.
sajidclt is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks