Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2018, 11:00   #11656
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Exceptions to this would be when there is a "No Overtaking" rule in place which as indicated seems to be the case.
The ghat road in question - Thamarassery churam of NH 766 (old NH 212) is end-to-end no overtaking.

It is barely wide enough for two buses to pass; and at the hairpin bends (there are nine of them) buses and trucks need all available width to negotiate the turn. It is not uncommon to see vehicles proceeding both ways waiting patiently for a large vehicle to negotiate the bend.

The road is so twisty (even if one were to discount the hairpin bends) that overtaking is extremely dangerous.

One other point to remember is that pretty much all along the length of the ghat road there is an uncovered drain running on the cliff side. If you were to go too close to the edge you seriously risk falling into the drain. On the valley side even though there is fortifications the fall is so deep that it is not for the faint of heart.

Add to that, it is a major highway that connects south Karnataka to north Kerala that traffic volumes at all hours are quite high.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 20:05   #11657
BHPian

Made another trip from Bangalore to Edappally (on 13th) and back (on 16th). Expected heavy traffic due to plausible long weekend for many but was not very bad. Only a few updates from the trip:
1) Kuthiran stretch (from start of tunnel section upto around Pattikkad) has become worse compared to my trip mid August. Road condition has deteriorated and potholes, if they can still be called that, are getting bigger and hungrier for belly hits. Traffic jams upto at least 30 - 40 mins seem to be the norm now (12-ish noon while going and 7-ish AM on return). Other times may see even longer jams. But I still think it doesn't call for any detours if a bit of patience and care can be taken with the vehicle.
2) Coimbatore bypass scanning system at each toll booth is getting to be a growing pain each time.

Otherwise rest was all routine.
Old 17th September 2018, 23:25   #11658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
Coimbatore bypass scanning system at each toll booth is getting to be a growing pain each time.
I entered Coimbatore city at Neelambur on the 7th, at around 22:30hrs and crossed the Walayar toll booth in an hour's time. Though longer by about 5km, the route through the city was far more peaceful and less straining on the eyes, thanks to the divided roads for the most part. I had tried this in the other direction too, but in the wee hours, and had the same experience. The bypass is best avoided at odd hours, IMO.

Last sunday, since I was driving alone and not hard pressed for time, I took the Attibele-Rayakottai-Palacode-Pennagaram-Mecheri-Omalur route, after a long gap. The roads are back to their glory - level surface with cat-eye reflectors and clearly visible signage.

The only fly in the ointment was the processions on account of Ganesha chaturthi - it's for the first time that I'm seeing such hooliganism on this account in TN. Happened to see quite a few near misses and also a guy on a commuter bike got hit from behind, albeit at a low speed, by a Dio carrying 3 chaps who were high on some awesome stuff. The victim, seeing the aggression, meekly checked his bike for damage and went ambling along, while the Dio vanished in no time. Luckily, the lorries and pick-ups appeared to be hired, and driven by people with some sense, so they were driven sanely enough.
Old 18th September 2018, 19:03   #11659
Senior - BHPian

https://goo.gl/maps/bnCrmL15bto

I wanted to explore this route via Kerala. Any inputs on the condition of the road plus any bottle neck (heavy traffic prone zones). The easiest option would be traveling via Dindigul, but would prefer driving through Kerala if things are all fine. Please share your inputs
Old 18th September 2018, 19:25   #11660
BANNED

How are roads from Kottayam to Thiruvalla? Any damages due to the floods?
Old 18th September 2018, 20:14   #11661
BHPian

Last night I did a late night trip from Coimbatore to Thrissur, and knowing the road condition of Kuthiran took the road from Alathur to Wadkancherry via Chellakara. What surprised me was I encountered heavy traffic coming from Thrissur, this was around 2330 Hrs. I was not expecting this kind of Traffic, it was Interstate buses and trucks, most of them with their high beam on. The road being narrow, had to be extra careful. The news is that the repairs at Kuthiran are to start shortly, this has been assured by the district collector of Thrissur. The earlier the better.
Old 18th September 2018, 21:04   #11662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
How are roads from Kottayam to Thiruvalla? Any damages due to the floods?
Kottayam to Thiruvalla is good except the Changanachery bye pass. Please use the SB college route and everything is fine.
kraken is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 21:57   #11663
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post
Kottayam to Thiruvalla is good except the Changanachery bye pass. Please use the SB college route and everything is fine.
I'm not familiar with SB college route, can you please explain?
Old 18th September 2018, 23:53   #11664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I'm not familiar with SB college route, can you please explain?
I'm so sorry I should've explained. SB college is just a landmark that everyone can spot. Just don't turn to the bye pass while coming in from Kottayam (towards your left). Just keep going straight. Only hiccup is the Changanachery KSRTC area where you might encounter slow moving traffic. It's your best bet because there are huge crater like potholes in the bye pass. We don't use it even on the Fortuner.
So, in short no turns and you're all good.

For your future reference if some day they actually repair the bye pass you can spot it nearing Changanachery after an Auditorium and a big Hyundai dealership ( right side ) and just before an Indian Oil petrol bunk on your left and you turn left. Also you can catch NHAI style boards prompting you. Hope this helps !!
kraken is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 18:41   #11665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
Last night I did a late night trip from Coimbatore to Thrissur, and knowing the road condition of Kuthiran took the road from Alathur to Wadkancherry via Chellakara. What surprised me was I encountered heavy traffic coming from Thrissur, this was around 2330 Hrs. I was not expecting this kind of Traffic, it was Interstate buses and trucks, most of them with their high beam on. The road being narrow, had to be extra careful. The news is that the repairs at Kuthiran are to start shortly, this has been assured by the district collector of Thrissur. The earlier the better.
Can you please share the better option between Trishur and Coimbatore in Gmaps? How long it took you to cover this 100+ kms
Old 19th September 2018, 18:49   #11666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Can you please share the better option between Trishur and Coimbatore in Gmaps? How long it took you to cover this 100+ kms
The Thrissur-Cheruthuruthy-Shoranur-Kulappully-Ottapalam-Lakkidi-Palakkad road has no issues.It is wide enough as well.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 19:37   #11667
BHPian

The road condition between Alathur-wadakancherry is very good, no pot holes. Only thing is lot of twist and turns, and narrow at places, with lot of ups and down. Normally the traffic is thin, but now with the Kuthiran issue, traffic is heavy.
Old 20th September 2018, 08:18   #11668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
The road condition between Alathur-wadakancherry is very good, no pot holes. Only thing is lot of twist and turns, and narrow at places, with lot of ups and down. Normally the traffic is thin, but now with the Kuthiran issue, traffic is heavy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The Thrissur-Cheruthuruthy-Shoranur-Kulappully-Ottapalam-Lakkidi-Palakkad road has no issues.It is wide enough as well.
Tenkasi-Punalur- Pathanpuram-Konni-Koothattukulam-Vazhappily-Chalakudy-Thrissur-Cheruthuruthy-Shoranur-Kulappully-Ottapalam-Lakkidi-Palakkad

https://goo.gl/maps/hMm1Z3fxZhp

GMaps estimates 9.53 hrs driving hours. 30 kms longer & 3 hrs extra than the fastest route via Dindigul. Have been regularly doing the fastest route & it has been quiet sometime since my solo driving through Kerala. Hence wanted to try it out

Any mentionable bad patch of roads in the above mentioned stretch? plus any better alternatives within? will be traveling on Saturday & hopefully not much traffic in any of those section.
Old 20th September 2018, 13:56   #11669
Senior - BHPian

Re: Changanacherry bypass :
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post
It's your best bet because there are huge crater like potholes in the bye pass. We don't use it even on the Fortuner.
So, in short no turns and you're all good.
How about the roads on the other Kottayam/Changanacherry bypass ? (i.e if you take the Puthuppally-Vakathanam-Thengana-Perumthuruthy route) ?
Old 20th September 2018, 16:31   #11670
BHPian

Hello!

With point of origin & destination being Bangalore, what is the best possible circuit covering Poovar, Trivandrum, Varkala & Munnar?

I have been to these places thrice in past 30 months. The reason I am requesting assistance is because -

1. Have a 1.5 yr kid, whose last long trip was Bangalore - Madurai - Kanyakumari - Poovar - Varkala - Kochi (Cherai) - Bangalore, with night halts at all places. This was in Sep 2017, when he was 6 months'. Lot of behavioral changes in past 1 yr., so unable to decide if Blr - TVM in one go makes sense.

2. Uncertainty on Munnar roads. Will mostly be staying at Chinnakanal. Have been there thrice, twice from Theni and once from Thekkady.

We have 7 days, excluding departing & arriving days.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: For Munnar - either Chinnakanal or Chithirapuram.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 20th September 2018 at 16:47. Reason: Added Munnar alternate place of stay.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks