Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2018, 08:02   #11776
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Which is the best route to take for Thrissur ~ Thiruvalla ~ Thrissur?
Planning to leave Thrissur day after tomorrow around 5 AM and return from Thriuvalla after lunch. I went through Cochin, Alleppy before the monsoon, will the same do good or should I consider Kottayam?

Cheers!
Old 20th November 2018, 08:40   #11777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Which is the best route to take for Thrissur ~ Thiruvalla ~ Thrissur?
Planning to leave Thrissur day after tomorrow around 5 AM and return from Thriuvalla after lunch. I went through Cochin, Alleppy before the monsoon, will the same do good or should I consider Kottayam?

Cheers!

You can go via Aluva, Kalamassery, Tripunithura, Kundannur, Aroor for the onward journey as it is early in the morning.

Take MC Road for return journey, as construction of bridges at Vytilla and Kundannur is in full swing, there is heavy traffic jam.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 09:24   #11778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
You can go via Aluva, Kalamassery, Tripunithura, Kundannur, Aroor for the onward journey as it is early in the morning.

Take MC Road for return journey, as construction of bridges at Vytilla and Kundannur is in full swing, there is heavy traffic jam.
Thank you, Johnny.

Did I plot it right HERE for onward journey?

For return will it be crowded than usual in MC road due to Sabarimala traffic? Moreover, how is the road condition after monsoon?

Cheers!
Old 20th November 2018, 09:38   #11779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For return will it be crowded than usual in MC road due to Sabarimala traffic?
As per media reports there is no Sabarimala traffic worth speaking of, this year.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 18:16   #11780
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For return will it be crowded than usual in MC road due to Sabarimala traffic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
As per media reports there is no Sabarimala traffic worth speaking of, this year.
May be less compared to previous years, however I noticed many pilgrim vehicles on Bangalore - Calicut route yesterday. So it is better to consider pilgrim traffic too.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 11:16   #11781
BANNED

Planning to travel from Kochi - Pondicheery with my family.

Any damages due to Cyclone Gaja? Are the roads fine?

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th November 2018, 13:59   #11782
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Planning to travel from Kochi - Pondicheery with my family.

Any damages due to Cyclone Gaja? Are the roads fine?

Thanks in advance.

What route are you planning to take? I drove from Chennai to Thrissur yesterday, the road till Villupuram is in good shape if you are going via Salem - Ulundurpet - Villupuram.
Old 25th November 2018, 14:05   #11783
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
What route are you planning to take? I drove from Chennai to Thrissur yesterday, the road till Villupuram is in good shape if you are going via Salem - Ulundurpet - Villupuram.
Thanks for the info.

Yes, I'm going via that route

Any advices?
Old 25th November 2018, 19:19   #11784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post

Your suggestion was spot on, thanks a ton, passed Ernakulam in a jiffy since it was early in the morning.
Road work in progress between Alappuzha and Changanassery.

On return took Thiruvalla ~ Changanasery ~ Ettumanoor ~ Muvattupuzha ~ Angamally ~ Thrissur. Good road surface all along

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
May be less compared to previous years, however I noticed many pilgrim vehicles on Bangalore - Calicut route yesterday. So it is better to consider pilgrim traffic too.
Pilgrim traffic was less relatively but then saw a spike over the weekend.

Cheers!
Old 26th November 2018, 12:03   #11785
BHPian

Quote:
I'd consider a third option: Kochi-Nilambur-Gudalur-Mysore-Hassan. The distance to Kerala edge is about 200 km which you can cover in 4 hours if you start early in the morning. Road conditions are good throughout (except flood damages, if any).
I travelled on this route on 22nd Nov to Bangalore. The Nilambur-Gudallur stretch is in shambles. The ghat section road is in a pitiable condition after the monsoons along with the widening/embankment work going on. This route is advised to be avoided till the completion of widening and re-tarring (for at least the next 6 months), especially at night. Also from Shornur to Pattambi the road was blocked and had to take a diversion. In my eagerness to try a new route, I took the Cherpulassery route which proved to be a big mistake as it is in a very bad state. Karalmanna to Perinthalmanna and up to Nilambur is okay.
tomchacks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 07:48   #11786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchacks View Post
The Nilambur-Gudallur stretch is in shambles. [...] I took the Cherpulassery route which proved to be a big mistake as it is in a very bad state.
What this means is that 750+ pages of collective wisdom in this thread has been completely invalidated by the floods. :-)
Old 27th November 2018, 13:54   #11787
BHPian

Quote:
What this means is that 750+ pages of collective wisdom in this thread has been completely invalidated by the floods. :-)
Sadly so, as I have been a frequent traveler on this route as I used to take a break at Bandipur for the evening and morning safaris, before proceeding further up or down. Now I will have to forgo that idea for some time.
Old 29th November 2018, 12:24   #11788
BHPian

I am planning to drive from Kozhikode - Chennai (Wimco Nagar) on 21DEC with family. Senior citizen and a kid of 6 years age included.

Google maps provided this route with around 13-14 hours of drive. Request your advice.

Sedate driver. Go above 60km/hr, only if the road and traffic condition permit.
No driving at night from 10PM to 06AM.
Can i follow the route or any alternate suggestions?
How is the tarmac and expected traffic condition?
Approximate time in reality would highly be appreciable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
I drove from Chennai to Thrissur yesterday, the road till Villupuram is in good shape if you are going via Salem - Ulundurpet - Villupuram.
How long it took from Chennai to Thrissur?

Last edited by sujithsidhardha : 29th November 2018 at 12:26. Reason: minor correction
sujithsidhardha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 13:04   #11789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithsidhardha View Post
I am planning to drive from Kozhikode - Chennai (Wimco Nagar) on 21DEC with family. Senior citizen and a kid of 6 years age included.

Google maps provided this route with around 13-14 hours of drive. Request your advice.
If we divide this into sections:

* Kozhikode-Palakkad - there are multiple routes and flood damages; you might face issues in the route suggested by Google. In particular, the Perinthalmanna-Cherpulassery-Mundur section is in bad shape when I went that way in September. Ask locally and pick the best choice. I took a route via Arekode-Manjery-Pandikkad-Mannarkkad last time and was quite happy with it.

* Palakkad-Salem - nothing to complain, no alternatives to consider. The Coimbatore bypass might tax you a bit; be careful.

* Salem-Chennai - there are two routes, Ulundurpet-Tambaram or Krishnagiri-Vellore. The latter has 6-lane section between Krishnagiri and Ranipet. Since your destination is north Chennai I think you should take this instead of the suggested one.

One suggestion is to turn off the NH at Sriperumbudur and get on to the Chennai bypass at Vandalur at its starting point.
Old 29th November 2018, 14:19   #11790
Senior - BHPian

Kerala: PWD to stop toll on bridges

Quote:
The ministerial meeting has decided to stop toll on 14 bridges under Public Works Department. This includes bridges that charged toll for the past 14 years.

These bridges are Aroor-Arukutti(Alappuzha),Pulikkakkadavu-Poovathumkadavu(Thrissur),New Cochin(Cheruthuruthy), Thuruthippuram-Kottappuram, Krishnan Kotta, Kadalundikkadavu, Murinjapuzha, Mayannoor, Sreemoolanagaram, Vellappu, Muttool-Madakara, Nedumkallu, Mannoorkkadavu. The toll collection at Mannoorkkadavu couldn’t be started due to protests.
News Source: News Source.
SJM1214 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks