Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 11th December 2018, 21:23   #11821
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
Oh now I am bit confused ; sorry
Binand , you suggest route via Hunsur?
Conventional wisdom is that the NH 766 route (Mysore-Gundlupet-Sulthan Bathery-Kalpetta; your route 2) is of good quality and provides a better drive for the irregular driver.

If Kala is recommending the other route, then there might be a reason that developed recently and we'll wait for him to clarify.

Your route 1 via Hunsur is not even my second choice; as a matter of fact. My second choice would be Mysore-Handpost-Bavali-Mananthavady.

The point I wanted to make is that if you choose any of the routes that enter Kerala via Mananthavady, then to get to your final destination - Thalayad - there is no need for you to go to Kalpetta. Instead, descend the ghats via Kuttyadi churam and take any of the turnoffs towards the several dams along that route; all of them would go to Thalayad I'd say. Just keep an eye on traffic through the two routes and make your decision at Mananthavady.
Old 11th December 2018, 21:41   #11822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
How are the roads around Nenmara, Pothundi Dam & Nelliyampathy ? I think there was some damage in these areas during the Kerala rains and flood this year ?
Anyone with recent experience driving in these areas ?
Roads were washed away at a few places and repair working is going on. But vehicles can make it without much of an issue I guess. Bhpian i20ian had visited Nelliyampathy about 10 days back

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
Definitely much better...
Quoting i20ian to tag him
mallumowgli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 22:37   #11823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
How are the roads around Nenmara, Pothundi Dam & Nelliyampathy ? I think there was some damage in these areas during the Kerala rains and flood this year ?
Anyone with recent experience driving in these areas ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Roads were washed away at a few places and repair working is going on. But vehicles can make it without much of an issue I guess. Bhpian i20ian had visited Nelliyampathy about 10 days back
Quoting i20ian to tag him
Yes the roads were washed away at nearly 20 places on the Ghat section from Pothundy to Nelliyampathy. But now repair works have been done except at a place called Kundaramchola where a temporary bridge has been constructed and traffic is allowed with the exception of heavy vehicles.

In many places one way traffic is allowed. Overall no issues for people visiting Nelliyampathy in their own car.

Here are a few glimpses of the damage at Kundaramchola.

All Roads to Kerala-img_20181111_0713161688x3000.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-img_20181111_0712463000x1688.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-img_20181111_0712541688x3000.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-img_20181111_0712571688x3000.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-img_20181111_0715243000x1688.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-img_20181111_0715171688x3000.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-img_20181111_0713083000x1688.jpg
i20ian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 01:03   #11824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I think you meant Route 2, Kala? Your description matches it better.

If you are coming via Route 1 then I don't think you need to come to Kalpetta from Mananthavady. Thalayad is close enough to Thottilpalam which is at the bottom of the alternate ghat route from Wayanad to Calicut (Kuttyadi churam).
Oops - I did mean the route via Gundlupet - didn't realize I had mentioned the wrong number. Sorry about that, thanks for the correction - Binand.
Old 12th December 2018, 07:34   #11825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Hi, any idea about the latest road conditions on Majoor-Mulli-Elachivazhy-Kottathara-Agali-Thavalam-Mukkali-Mannarkkad route? Thanks!
I did Mannarkkad ~ Mukkali ~ Thavalam ~ Agali (Goolikadavu) then deviated to Sholayur. Except for the Agali ~ Sholayur the entire stretch have taken a toll due to monsoon. If its a sedan need to be vigilant at a couple of stretches.
I had a tough time since it was raining heavily and you never know how deep is water-filled potholes.
Again this was the condition a month back not sure about any recent developments.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 11:42   #11826
BHPian

Hi friends, planning a drive to Thekkady from Bengaluru in the next couple of days and wanted to know if the roads are good between Cumbum to Thekkady. Please advice
Old 14th December 2018, 11:54   #11827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumzup View Post
Hi friends, planning a drive to Thekkady from Bengaluru in the next couple of days and wanted to know if the roads are good between Cumbum to Thekkady. Please advice
This route is pretty good and the ghat section was repaired following the rains. I took this route on 4th of November and the roads are good till Kumily. But beyond that, towards Vandiperiyar, there are sections which are still being repaired. But to Thekkady, it should be OK.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 11:54   #11828
BHPian

There was a newspaper article saying that the Marthandam flyover will be opened for regular traffic on the 19th. Any confirmations on this?

Have a trip planned on the 21st and was wondering if this route via Marthandam would be better.

Else what is the current best route out of Tvm and into TN? Via Pudukadai?
Old 17th December 2018, 23:03   #11829
BHPian

Hi friends, Am planning on travelling from Bangalore to Edappal this weekend. I usually travel via the salem-coimbatore-palaghat-pattambi. But, this time around wanted to experiment a little and googled for alternate routes (especially the ones involving ghat roads). The best route that google suggested was Bangalore-Mysore-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Gudalur-Nilambur-Perintalmanna-Edappal.

Will really appreciate first hand experience of members on this route and whether its advisable to take this route. Also enlighten me on the time restrictions on some of the roads through the reserve forest areas that are enforced.

thanks,
Safe driving.
Old 18th December 2018, 06:10   #11830
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Hi friends, Am planning on travelling from Bangalore to Edappal this weekend. I usually travel via the salem-coimbatore-palaghat-pattambi. But, this time around wanted to experiment a little and googled for alternate routes (especially the ones involving ghat roads). The best route that google suggested was Bangalore-Mysore-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Gudalur-Nilambur-Perintalmanna-Edappal.

Will really appreciate first hand experience of members on this route and whether its advisable to take this route. Also enlighten me on the time restrictions on some of the roads through the reserve forest areas that are enforced.

thanks,
Safe driving.
The route through Bandipur is closed from 9pm to 6am. No restrictions in the day time.

Personally, don't think this route is worth the effort. I recall reading recently that the Gudalur Nilambur ghat section(Nadugani) is in poor shape. In addition, once you enter Kerala , from Nilambur onwards traffic will be high and the road is not as wide as the Palakkad Ottapalam route. So that will add to the time. Also, Bangalore Mysore at any time is not a very pleasant drive.

In short, I see very little scope for an enjoyable drive by taking this route.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 08:48   #11831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Hi friends, Am planning on travelling from Bangalore to Edappal this weekend. I usually travel via the salem-coimbatore-palaghat-pattambi. But, this time around wanted to experiment a little and googled for alternate routes (especially the ones involving ghat roads). ...
I second Rajeevraj.

If you just need some ghat roads, why not try the Sathyamangalam route?
Bangalore - Kanakapura - Chamarajanagara - Sathyamangalam - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Edappal.

No restrictions here. But be warned that there's virtually no decent place for refreshments once you cross Chamarajanagara and till you descend the Dimbham ghats. As with any ghat road, any breakdown or accident near hairpins would result in long queues.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 10:43   #11832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The route through Bandipur is closed from 9pm to 6am. No restrictions in the day time.

In short, I see very little scope for an enjoyable drive by taking this route.
Thank you for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I second Rajeevraj.

If you just need some ghat roads, why not try the Sathyamangalam route?
Bangalore - Kanakapura - Chamarajanagara - Sathyamangalam - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Edappal.
Thank you. Will look up the satyamangalam route and decide.
Old 18th December 2018, 11:06   #11833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The route through Bandipur is closed from 9pm to 6am.
I think the route through Bandipur closes earlier than that - 6 PM from what I remember.
Old 18th December 2018, 11:08   #11834
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I think the route through Bandipur closes earlier than that - 6 PM from what I remember.
That is the Nagarhole Route isn't it? The Bandipur routes are 9 pm-6am unless something has changed recently.
Old 18th December 2018, 12:04   #11835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is the Nagarhole Route isn't it? The Bandipur routes are 9 pm-6am unless something has changed recently.
The NH 766 (Muthanga) route is 9-6. Nagarhole & Bandipur are 6-6. My info is from a few years ago, when I spent a couple of days in a resort in Bandipur. Wanted to go to Gudalur; the resort staff suggested returning before 6 PM to avoid being stuck.

I could be wrong, so please check.

Edit: There's a thread here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...tead-9-pm.html (Bandipur, Nagarhole forest gates to close at 6pm instead of 9 pm)

Last edited by binand : 18th December 2018 at 12:11.

Most Viewed