Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2010, 13:23   #1171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Daytime travel through any of these routes will have lots of Autos/2wheeler traffic and congested small towns. Better during early morning / night
I was OK with Pattambi, Perinthalmanna and Nilambur. Towns which one can go past pretty soon.
Old 29th March 2010, 22:21   #1172

Reco for Bangalore-Munnar routes

Hi,

I intend to drive from Bangalore to Munnar by starting off from Bangalore at 3AM Friday morning. Can someone please suggest a good route to take?
I know there is one which is slightly longer (through Theni if I am not wrong) which is following a national highway whereas the other goes through smaller towns. If anyone has gone there recently and has any inputs regarding this, it would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Sunil

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th March 2010 at 22:35. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread, Thanks
Old 29th March 2010, 23:32   #1173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suniljagadish View Post
Hi,

I intend to drive from Bangalore to Munnar by starting off from Bangalore at 3AM Friday morning. Can someone please suggest a good route to take?
I know there is one which is slightly longer (through Theni if I am not wrong) which is following a national highway whereas the other goes through smaller towns. If anyone has gone there recently and has any inputs regarding this, it would be very helpful.
Guess there are many who traveled this route till Theni recently. Bangalore - Salem - Dindigul - Vattalgundu - Theni - Bodinaykannur - Bodimettu - Pooppara - Devikulam - Munnar.

Road conditions are good (except some small patches).

I'm also taking this route this friday morning. But starting only by around 6:00am.

Till Munnar, it should take approximately 10Hrs.

I recommend this route as the other route (Udumalpettai - Marayoor) will look dry in this summer season. Also, driving is easy through Theni route due to quality of road.

Once you are near Dindigul, watchout for the signboard for the left exit to go to Kodaikanal/Palani/Theni. There, you have to go under the bridge to the right side towards Kodaikanal to reach Theni.

This exit is an "easy to miss" one for first time travellers.
Old 30th March 2010, 06:22   #1174
Team-BHP Support

The shorter route would be:

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Mettur - Bhavani - Perindurai - Kangeyam - Dharapuram - Udumalpetai - Marayoor Munnar. This would be about 80-100 km shorter (total of 480Km) .

If you want to reach the same day, this should be the route you should take.

As to what Biju mentioned, not sure about the dry scenery.
I thought Kerala is always be green !
Old 31st March 2010, 12:26   #1175
BHPian

Planning to do my first Bangalore-Kochi tomorrow. Hoping for a 3am start from silk board and reach by 1.30pm. With all inputs from fellow BHPians, I'll stick to Krishnagiri-Salem-Coimbatore route. Will update after I get back.
Old 31st March 2010, 14:46   #1176
Senior - BHPian

Long weekend would mean lots of cars heading towards Kerala. Long queue at Walayar checkpost?
Old 31st March 2010, 14:55   #1177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Long weekend would mean lots of cars heading towards Kerala. Long queue at Walayar checkpost?
Traffic jams is because of untidy truck parking at the check post - not affected by private cars, truck jams every day.
Old 31st March 2010, 15:17   #1178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Anyone else for a 3am start tomorrow? We could make it a mini T-BHP meet and drive
Old 31st March 2010, 17:08   #1179
BHPian

Would have loved to ... But not possible this weekend.
Awaiting for your travelogue ! ;-)
Old 31st March 2010, 23:32   #1180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1976 View Post
Anyone else for a 3am start tomorrow? We could make it a mini T-BHP meet and drive
Hey brother....

I am actually doing the same trip, but in the reverse direction...

I googled and Binged the routes, They were giving me all the others results except the NH 47, I wonder why?

Wish you a safe trip buddy...
Old 1st April 2010, 00:54   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The shorter route would be:

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Mettur - Bhavani - Perindurai - Kangeyam - Dharapuram - Udumalpetai - Marayoor Munnar. This would be about 80-100 km shorter (total of 480Km) .

If you want to reach the same day, this should be the route you should take.

As to what Biju mentioned, not sure about the dry scenery.
I thought Kerala is always be green !
Kerala forests are green most of the time. The forests in Udumalpet - Marayoor section is the one that is on the eastern side of "western ghats". So, that gets dry fast.

I drove through that road last year during March end - was dry and tiring.

Compared to that, the NH7 road quality till Dindigul and the NH49 after Theni are good reasons to try Theni route. Also, note that the time would be comparable (can be lesser too) with the Udumalpet route. As you rightly mentioned, the distance would be more in Theni route.
Old 1st April 2010, 13:40   #1182
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
Compared to that, the NH7 road quality till Dindigul and the NH49 after Theni are good reasons to try Theni route. Also, note that the time would be comparable (can be lesser too) with the Udumalpet route. As you rightly mentioned, the distance would be more in Theni route.
What is the distance from Theni to Munnar? In essence of what is the length section that we are talking about?
Old 1st April 2010, 22:14   #1183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the distance from Theni to Munnar? In essence of what is the length section that we are talking about?
Theni-Bodinaikanur 16 kms-Bodimedu 27-Poopara 11-Chinnakanal 15-Munnar 18, totalling 87 kms, a 2-hour drive.
Old 2nd April 2010, 09:13   #1184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Theni-Bodinaikanur 16 kms-Bodimedu 27-Poopara 11-Chinnakanal 15-Munnar 18, totalling 87 kms, a 2-hour drive.
Thank you sir. Does that mean is it easier to drive from Theni to Munnar instead of Udumalpet to Munnar?
Old 2nd April 2010, 09:41   #1185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you sir. Does that mean is it easier to drive from Theni to Munnar instead of Udumalpet to Munnar?
Distance is the same.
I have taken 2 hours to drive Udumalipet-Munnar, and the same time from Munnar to Theni.
The Udumalipet route has more forests with possibilities of wildlife sightings.
Ghat sections more in the Udumalaipet route, as also 3 forest Check Posts to sign off, none in Theni route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks