Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2019, 18:47   #11911
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Need suggestions on best route from Thrissur to Calicut for a start around 1:00PM?
Also appreciate if someone can help with hotel suggestions for one day stay in Calicut, cleanliness is the priority.
Thank you in advance.
Cheers!
Although you have a couple of options, the best route would be

Thrissur- Kechery(bypass Kunnamkulam)- Edapal- Kuttipuram-Tirunavaya- Puthanathani- Kottakkal(changuvety)- University- Kozhikode Byepass- Thondayad- Mavoor Road.

Note that the default NH is Kuttipuram-Valanchery-Putthanathani, the Tirunavya route helps reduce some time/traffic. Google by default routes like this.

For stay in Calicut, lot of options. A safe bet would be Hotel Asma Tower-Mavoor Road.
Old 9th January 2019, 18:49   #11912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need suggestions on best route from Thrissur to Calicut for a start around 1:00PM?
At that time there is no "best route". Only the "least irritating route". The only strategy to follow is to hit NH 66 as quickly and conveniently as possible and take it all the way to Calicut. The canonical route is Thrissur-Kunnamkulam-Kuttipuram-Ramanattukara-Calicut (joins NH 66 at Kuttipuram). Improvements could be:

* There is a Kunnamkulam avoidance route.
* There is a Valanchery avoidance route via Thirunavaya.

Alternative routes like Thrissur-Pattambi-Valanchery etc. will be worse.

Quote:
Also appreciate if someone can help with hotel suggestions for one day stay in Calicut, cleanliness is the priority.
Cost and location aren't?
Old 9th January 2019, 20:06   #11913
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hotel Hyson is good, maybe a tad expensive. From recent experience I would say a more value for money experience was Hotel King Fort on the Beypore road close to Railway station.
Old 9th January 2019, 21:15   #11914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

Thrissur- Kechery(bypass Kunnamkulam)- Edapal- Kuttipuram-Tirunavaya- Puthanathani- Kottakkal(changuvety)- University- Kozhikode Byepass- Thondayad- Mavoor Road.

This is the best option with comparatively less traffic and travel time. I have done this route many times recently. The roads are good. Only issue will be traffic.

Kuttippuram - Tirunavaya- Puthanathani route has ₹5 toll and many speed breakers, but still better than NH66.
Old 9th January 2019, 21:20   #11915
BHPian

Hope this helps for others travelling this route. I traveled from Bangalore to Attingal using the Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Madurai-Nagercoil-Kovalam-Attingal thinking the roads are still bad after the last year floods.

On my return trip I took the way through Thenmala- Sengottai and was surprised that they repaired the roads so soon to coincide with the Sabarimala season. The roads are all good except few places where they are constructing under pass bridges to allow free movement of water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrats View Post
I am planning to drive down to Attingal on 30th December 2018 which is coming Sunday. I take the Bangalore-Salem-Madurai-Dindigul-Thenmala route. When I did the trip just after the floods I had a horrible time as no roads were there and they diverted to some rubber estate totally like a offroad experience. I had a small car so somehow was lucky to escape. I did come back by going back to Nagercoil and staying on the highway. Please suggest if this route is good now and is the blocks cleared

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th January 2019 at 21:33. Reason: Correcting small typo. Thanks
coolrats is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 09:05   #11916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
For stay in Calicut, lot of options. A safe bet would be Hotel Asma Tower-Mavoor Road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Hotel Hyson is good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
This is the best option
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Cost and location aren't?
Of course yes on this priority. Cleanliness - Food - Cost - Location (location is the least priority since I'm visiting Calicut for an overnight stay to enjoy the local cuisine

By the way, Hotel Asma Tower is not available for my day of travel, how about "WOODIES BLEISURE HOTEL"?

Thank you all for the route suggestion, will stick to the recommended one.

Hotel Asme Tower is not

Cheers!
Old 11th January 2019, 00:03   #11917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
The dedicated FASTag lane is under repair. No idea what's causing the delay and the need for repair when it was in superb condition.
Just an update, the FASTag lane for the NH toll before Thrissur is as of today - active and working. Also, it looks like they are going to have another FASTag lane pretty soon.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 07:34   #11918
Team-BHP Support

During the Christmas and New Year week, no toll was collected at the Paliyekkara toll plaza. Was it some kind of waiver during the holiday season?
Old 11th January 2019, 09:07   #11919
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
During the Christmas and New Year week, no toll was collected at the Paliyekkara toll plaza. Was it some kind of waiver during the holiday season?
Might be due to the rush. I noticed this while driving back from Blore. They had no control of the traffic, multiple vehicles jumping lanes and continuous honking etc and I noticed few employees running around tensed with their walkie talkies.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 09:22   #11920
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Might be due to the rush. I noticed this while driving back from Blore. They had no control of the traffic, multiple vehicles jumping lanes and continuous honking etc and I noticed few employees running around tensed with their walkie talkies.
It happened twice in my two weeks stay and I did see them collecting from the trucks in front. But yes, heavy rush could be the reason. People were just honking to infinity at the toll plaza
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 10:22   #11921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thrissur district collector gave them a lot of grief. It was reported in the press.

https://english.mathrubhumi.com/news...ght--1.3417639

I imagine they did collect toll during lull times but refrained from doing so at rush hours.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 16:50   #11922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

I imagine they did collect toll during lull times but refrained from doing so at rush hours.
It might be only during the peak hours, I drove through this on Dec 24th and Dec 29th and had to pay both the times

Last edited by gadadhar : 11th January 2019 at 16:51.
Old 11th January 2019, 21:55   #11923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

By the way, Hotel Asma Tower is not available for my day of travel, how about "WOODIES BLEISURE HOTEL"?

Cheers!
Not sure about WOODIES. Other options I know off are Raviz, Mavoor Road. Marina Residency YMCA Cross Road, Copper Folio, Byepass.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 16:49   #11924
BHPian

The very long awaited Kollam (Quilon) bypass has been opened for public on 15th January, 2019 by the prime minister.

It helps to avoid congested Kollam city for travel between Alleppey and Trivandrum.
Old 16th January 2019, 18:35   #11925
Senior - BHPian

Angamaly-Kalady-Perumbavoor-Muvattupuzha stretch is almost completely relaid now. Although, traffic condition hasn't improved much. Traffic blocks are common in Kalady, Perumbavoor and Muvattupuzha. In Kalady and Perumbavoor traffic will not even crawl during peak traffic jam, as both are junctions without alternate routes - A dead lock. Traffic block in Muvattupuzha, at least see resolving, due to town traffic unit actively working. Government must seriously work out a plan to complete bypasses at Muvattupuzha, Perumbavoor and Kalady. I believe 4 laning just like Vyttila-Angamaly stretch of NH544 is needed in the stretch between Muvattupuzha-Angamaly also.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks