Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2010, 10:54   #1186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
But why are you going to Palani via Palladam, instead of the direct and shorter road via Pollachi and Udumalaipet, which is only 100 kms (against 120 kms in the other route). The Pollachi route is a good road too.

Coimbatore-Palani 100 kms-Dindigul 70 kms-Madurai 60-Nagercoil 220-Trivandrum 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Even if distance is that much more, I think it should be worth it. NH7 in TN is extremely good, and worth taking. Driving is very less tiring. As HVK Sir mentioned, only stretch that would have problem (heavy traffic) would be Nagercoil-TVM.

Also, it matters where in TVM you want to reach. If it is near Kazhakuttam or so, you could take appropriate detours without entering TVM city.
Thanks HVK sir and sbraj for your valuable inputs.
Undertook this journey on 1st Apr.
Route followed was > Coimbatore>Palladam>Dharapuram>Oddanchatram>Sembat ti>Madurai>
Thirunelveli>Nagercoil>TVM

Very good single line roads till sembatti.(Oddanchatram>Sembatti route will bye pass the dindugul route)then four lined tolled highway till
nagercoil.Traffic is congested in nagercoil tvm route,but its okay...was able to cover the distance in 08 hours.
Old 5th April 2010, 13:00   #1187
Senior - BHPian

It was totally unplanned but we traveled to Thodupuzha via Selam from Bangalore. Started by 4:30PM last Thursday and reached home Friday early morning 3AM with around 90minutes break for dinner, fuel and bio. Never crossed 120kmph 9 hours of travel. Traffic was not pathetic anywhere except Kuthiran. Roads are perfect except few deviations after Salem and Trissur due to the 4 lane work.

Return drive would be after 3 weeks (i would travel back alone now) and have to halt in Palakkad for one day and night to see my friend's baby (also some view points nearby). Would love to try the other routes back to Bangalore since I would be starting from Mannarkad which is in Calicut route from Palakkad. Shall disturb you all for the updates.
Old 6th April 2010, 19:27   #1188
BHPian

I did Bangalore-Cochin-Calicut-Bangalore last weekend and I enjoyed the drive. Started from Silk Board at 4.20am on Thursday and I could safely cover almost 300kms in 3 hours (with no stops). No major traffic, no pedestrain crossings, no cows and dogs.. I just loved it. The next 250kms from Coimbatore to Kochi took 5 and half hours!

Bangalore-Salem was really fast and smooth. The four laning of Salem-Coimbatore is almost 70% done. I passed through this area around 7-7.30am and could see lot of bikes taking wrong side and coming against you. I never understood the idea of these bikes/cars switching on the light and keeping to the inner most lane!

I managed to escape a potential major block at Walayar and from then onwards the traffic was really thick. Thrissur-Ernakulam four laning work has seen little progress in last 3 months. I finally managed to reach home at 12.45pm. So that was 550kms in 8.5 hours. Not too bad i guess...

Saturday i left Kochi at 5am to Calicut. i was rather surprised to see the amount of traffic at that time till Thrissur. Those sudden deviations could be dangerous and I was constantly following some other vehicle. Thrissur-Calicut was smooth with some bad patches at Kuttippuram/Edappal stretch. Reached Calicut by 8.30am

Calicut-Bangalore was on Monday morning. This is one of my regular routes for years now and the raods are currently in good shape. Left at 4.30am and managed to reach back home in B'lore by 10.45am.
Old 7th April 2010, 09:48   #1189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Both my journeys were along the same route. When returning, i had stayed over at my relative's place in Kumily, and so started the journey from Kumily at 0530 hours, and reached Electronics City phase 2 at 1430 hours. This ofcourse included 2 food breaks, one photography break and and one tea break. I usually stick to the 100-110 kmph mark.
Is the turn off to Batlagundu in the Dindigul bye-pass road or before that? I couldn't locate this point in Google maps. I could see a road going from the bye-pass towards Cumbum.
Old 7th April 2010, 09:53   #1190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Is the turn off to Batlagundu in the Dindigul bye-pass road or before that? I couldn't locate this point in Google maps. I could see a road going from the bye-pass towards Cumbum.
The turn-off point is just before Dindigul Bypass. When you are coming from Bangalore side, first, you will see the right to Palani, and the second right turn for Kodai/Theni/Cumbum.
Old 7th April 2010, 11:01   #1191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In google maps look for NH209 and NH45(mentioned as Cumbum road) at Dindigul.
NH209 as mentioned in GMAPS is the Palani diversion. The second one is the Kodai/Theni route (NH45).

Both of them are on the Dindigul by-pass.
Old 7th April 2010, 12:20   #1192

Thanks to everyone for all the valuable inputs.

It was a nice drive to Munnar and so was the stay at Tea Valley Resort.
Due to strong recommendation from a relative I ended up taking this route from Bangalore to Munnar:
Bangalore – Mysore – Ooty – Cunoor – Coimbatore – Udulampet – Munnar
It was clearly a bad choice except for the scenic drive through the forest area. It took a whooping 10.5hrs to reach Munnar with one breakfast break at Ooty which was crowded. Later, got stuck in the Coimbatore traffic. May be I ripped past any by-pass that might have been there to avoid the city traffic.

While coming back, I corrected the route and took:
Munnar – Udulampet – Dharapuram – Erode – Salem – Bangalore
Drive wasn’t scenic after crossing the tiger reserve before Udulampet but it was a quicker route.
This route just took 8hrs. NH7 rocks!

Uploaded a few photos taken during this trip - Picasa Web Albums - RamyaSunil - Munnar (sorry haven’t found time to fill-in the description/title of the photos)

Thanks,
Sunil
Old 7th April 2010, 20:08   #1193
Senior - BHPian

There is a change of plan in my Kerala visit. Have to go to Perinthalmanna first and then onwards to Kottayam. I believe the best route is through Mysore, Gundlupet, Nilambur. In this route, is there a bye-pass or ring road for Mysore which I can use or should I go through the city? How long it will take to reach Bandipur or Pmna in this route?
Old 7th April 2010, 20:13   #1194
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is a change of plan in my Kerala visit. Have to go to Perinthalmanna first and then onwards to Kottayam. I believe the best route is through Mysore, Gundlupet, Nilambur. In this route, is there a bye-pass or ring road for Mysore which I can use or should I go through the city? How long it will take to reach Bandipur or Pmna in this route?
There is an ORR in Mysore, which is very well marked. When you hit the ORR signal you need to take a left and follow the directions.
Old 7th April 2010, 22:14   #1195
Senior - BHPian

After Srirangapatna, you will reach a crossroad approximately 10 kms before Mysore, where you can turn either left or right on the ORR to bypass Mysore.

The Nilambur route is the shortest to Perinthalmanna. However, bear in mind that the road from Gundulpet closes at 9 pm till 6 am. Further, the road after Nadugani (post-Gudalur) is a ghat section with wildlife movements.

How much time? Assuming 3 hours to Mysore, another 3 to Gudalur, you should be in Perinthalmanna in under 8 hours.
Old 8th April 2010, 09:38   #1196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
It was totally unplanned but we traveled to Thodupuzha via Selam from Bangalore. Started by 4:30PM last Thursday and reached home Friday early morning 3AM with around 90minutes break for dinner, fuel and bio. Never crossed 120kmph 9 hours of travel. Traffic was not pathetic anywhere except Kuthiran. Roads are perfect except few deviations after Salem and Trissur due to the 4 lane work.

Return drive would be after 3 weeks (i would travel back alone now) and have to halt in Palakkad for one day and night to see my friend's baby (also some view points nearby). Would love to try the other routes back to Bangalore since I would be starting from Mannarkad which is in Calicut route from Palakkad. Shall disturb you all for the updates.
Guys need your support in fixing my return travel map. I would be reaching Kanjirapuzha in Mannarkad by 8PM on Saturday to visit my friend and his new born and to halt there.

My plan is to start after Lunch on Sunday and reach bangalore by 10PM. I understand Mannarkad is almost 40KM away from Palakkad and 100KM from Calicut. Need to try Calicut~Wayanad~Mysore~Bangalore or the Nilambur route if at all possible without much troubles.
Old 8th April 2010, 10:32   #1197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys need your support in fixing my return travel map. I would be reaching Kanjirapuzha in Mannarkad by 8PM on Saturday to visit my friend and his new born and to halt there.

My plan is to start after Lunch on Sunday and reach bangalore by 10PM. I understand Mannarkad is almost 40KM away from Palakkad and 100KM from Calicut. Need to try Calicut~Wayanad~Mysore~Bangalore or the Nilambur route if at all possible without much troubles.
The Bandipur forest is closed from 9PM to 6AM. As long as you get clear this range (which I hope you should very easily) it should be fine.

Drive to Melatoor from Mannarkad and continue to Nilambur. You don't need to go to Waynad if you are starting from Mannarkad. Then onwards the roads are very nice, with some parts of Nadugani ghats before Gudalur not being good. After that its all smooth sailing till Mysore and Bangalore.

I don't know how good are the roads till Melatoor from Mannarkad.

Last edited by ampere : 8th April 2010 at 10:35.
Old 8th April 2010, 12:17   #1198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The Bandipur forest is closed from 9PM to 6AM. As long as you get clear this range (which I hope you should very easily) it should be fine.

Drive to Melatoor from Mannarkad and continue to Nilambur. You don't need to go to Waynad if you are starting from Mannarkad. Then onwards the roads are very nice, with some parts of Nadugani ghats before Gudalur not being good. After that its all smooth sailing till Mysore and Bangalore.

I don't know how good are the roads till Melatoor from Mannarkad.
Thanks Ampere. Google map is showing another route via Nilambur instead of Mysore. Any idea?

Kanjirappuzha -> Mannarkkad -> Melattoor -> Vandoor -> Nilambur -> Gudalur -> Gundulpet -> Chamarajnagar (NH209) -> Kandahalli -> Kollegal -> Kanakapura -> Nice Road -> EC
Old 8th April 2010, 12:41   #1199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ampere. Google map is showing another route via Nilambur instead of Mysore. Any idea?

Kanjirappuzha -> Mannarkkad -> Melattoor -> Vandoor -> Nilambur -> Gudalur -> Gundulpet -> Chamarajnagar (NH209) -> Kandahalli -> Kollegal -> Kanakapura -> Nice Road -> EC
I would suggest reaching Bangalore via SH17. How is the road condition via Kollegal?

Don't go by online map suggested routes. I don't know what kind of logic they use, but many times, it is pure non-sense.
Old 8th April 2010, 13:34   #1200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

As Raj mentioned, go to Mysore and then to Bangalore via the famed State Highway, its 4L as compared to NH209. Even the road till Mysore is very good.

Also you while you will be returning back it will be late in the evening
and hence you will better food options . Mysore road abounds in it as compared to the NH209 (Kanakpura as its called in Bangalore).

Also note that: when you come back in the evening and take NICE road, its broken at Bannerghatta. Be careful when driving at night around the Gottegere village workaround as its steep and has lots of potholes.

Last edited by ampere : 8th April 2010 at 13:36.

Most Viewed